Type keyword(s) to search

Superior Donuts - General Discussion

• Start Topic

A grumpy donut-shop owner and his new employee who work in a gentrifying Chicago neighborhood are followed in the series premiere of this comedy.

Edited by Drogo
Combined episode threads into all-episodes talk.
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, mammaM said:

I like Judd Hirsch. Show was ok, very pilot-y so I'll give it a couple more episodes. Then we talk.

Exactly. Love Judd Hirsch and guessing so do the network execs and that's why this worst case ever of pilot-itis episode saw the light of day screen.

• Love 2

I was in for Sagal and Hirsch too, and then I saw James Burrows' name -- the man knows what he's doing.  I don't like the live audience format but this one wasn't as bad as most -- the laughs were for actual funny lines, not for every. single. thing. a character says. 

• Love 1

I thought the early exposition scenes had some really good writing, good jokes and good characters being developed really fast.  I'm hopeful for this one, and especially while waiting for 'Good Place' to come back.   

They certainly have a strong cast!  Isn't the guy with the fax machine also the girl-friend's dad in 'The Goldbergs'?  If I'm wrong, he's his long-lost twin.

• Love 4

In the back of my mind I kept harking back to a Chico and the man vibe

I enjoyed it  and with a pedigree cast and director  I hope it becomes a must watch

I did enjoy the edginess of the joke about a black guy must trust the Chicago cop by  turning his back to her.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, sheetmoss said:

In the back of my mind I kept harking back to a Chico and the man vibe

I enjoyed it  and with a pedigree cast and director  I hope it becomes a must watch

I did enjoy the edginess of the joke about a black guy must trust the Chicago cop by  turning his back to her.

Same here. Grouchy old guy, in this case Jewish instead of Anglo and an enthusiastic, enterprising young black guy instead of a Latino. Yep definitely getting the same vibe. So far, I like it.

• Love 3

Chico and the Man is exactly how our newspaper reviewer described it! You could definitely tell this was based on a play by the pacing. I'll keep watching and see where it goes. 

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Love 2

I read somewhere this was based on a play. I can tell especially in the way the characters all introduced themselves. It's theatrical but the writing is solid and all the actors are likeable. I'll give it another try for sure. 

• Love 3

I was pretty impressed for a sitcom.  Judd Hirsch of course was great, liked Jermaine Wicks, Katey Sagal did a good job.  I looked up the IMDB entry and discovered the blonde girl "Maya" is Mikhail Baryshnikov's daughter!  I didn't mind the actor of Fawz (the guy who wants to buy the shop) but I just feel if anything wears thin, it'll be his character's jokes, because he runs in, says stuff that is sort of threatening, worries about it, and runs out.  Not enough time to play off the other actors.  I also found the scene where he and Hirsch are standing "outside" the shop and half the shots were of the set and half were against an outside-looking green screen to be distracting and not necessary.  

It would be funny if Henry Winkler did a bit part where he came in and hit the jukebox and it worked.  (I feel so old--my son only knows Winkler and Hirsch as "dads on things"--Royal Pains, Big Bang, Numb3rs).

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Jobiska said:

It would be funny if Henry Winkler did a bit part where he came in and hit the jukebox and it worked.  (I feel so old--my son only knows Winkler and Hirsch as "dads on things"--Royal Pains, Big Bang, Numb3rs).

THAT would be hilarious!

• Love 2
21 hours ago, Jobiska said:

I was pretty impressed for a sitcom.  Judd Hirsch of course was great, liked Jermaine Wicks, Katey Sagal did a good job.  I looked up the IMDB entry and discovered the blonde girl "Maya" is Mikhail Baryshnikov's daughter!  I didn't mind the actor of Fawz (the guy who wants to buy the shop) but I just feel if anything wears thin, it'll be his character's jokes, because he runs in, says stuff that is sort of threatening, worries about it, and runs out.  Not enough time to play off the other actors.  I also found the scene where he and Hirsch are standing "outside" the shop and half the shots were of the set and half were against an outside-looking green screen to be distracting and not necessary.  

Okay if we're gonna do this my vote is for Danny Devito to come in as a disgruntled taxi dispatcher who has to buy donuts to avert a hostile workplace law suit.

• Love 8

I want to like this show more than I actually do.  It has so much going for it but, honestly, I laughed once during this entire episode.  (It may or may not have been the dill donuts line.)  I'm going to stick with it for a few more episodes, but I don't know if I can go much past that.

• Love 3

What OtterMommy said, except my one chuckle was somewhere else. If nothing else, I like to see the three ethnicities getting along. And a peanut butter and jelly donut sounds good.

Edited by shapeshifter
tired typo
  • Love 4

Franco pressures Arthur to increase security after Fawz's dry-cleaning store is robbed, but he grows concerned when Arthur buys a gun. Meanwhile, Tush offers Maya advice for self-protection.

I'm trying to decide whether I like the show because I love Judd Hirsch...because at some point, even Judd Hirsch isn't going to keep me around. 

That being said, I am really enjoying Jermaine Fowler...he is definitely a stand out in the cast. The young girl has got to go. 

• Love 5
15 hours ago, KHenry14 said:

Such a formulaic show. No way the actors can save this one. I wonder if they make it to 10 episodes

It's currently doing better than The Odd Couple. Yes it kinda hurt 2BG but 2BG isn't a priority as WB owns it as opposed to the CBS owned SD and TOC. If SD settles at the 1.3 it got last night it may stick around even as the lowest comedy freshman at CBS. If it dips below TOC it's done and TOC will stay as spackle.

I haven't watched a new sitcom in ages, but I saw the ads for this and I like it.  It has a good cast with Jermaine Fowler along with Judd Hirsch and Katey Sagal.  I also like the actor who plays Franco's friend.   If they can come up with good story lines I could see it lasting.

The title gets me thinking, though, there used to be a shop in New York called Fluffy Donuts (they either went out of business or changed their name to Fluffy's Cafe).  I think Fluffy Donuts would have been a good name for the shop, a little more memorable anyway.

• Love 1

Is the writing for the characters of Arthur, Franco, and Fawz that much better than it is for the other characters, or are the three just played by better actors?

I came here to say the same thing. At least part of it is the writing, because I wince at some of the others' lines. Hoping things improve soon.

• Love 2

Despite the excellent, for the most part, cast, I don't think any of them can really overcome the horrible writing. That makes me sad since it is a waste of talent. I keep hoping it will get better, but I think I'll be dropping this one very soon.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Is the writing for the characters of Arthur, Franco, and Fawz that much better than it is for the other characters, or are the three just played by better actors?

Six of one, half a dozen of the other.  The writing is a smidge better for those characters, but those actors also elevate the material.

• Love 3
On 2/14/2017 at 1:39 PM, OnceSane said:

Six of one, half a dozen of the other.  The writing is a smidge better for those characters, but those actors also elevate the material.

I have to add Katey Sagal to that list of those who elevate the material and bring more to the role. 

The two that do nothing for me are Maya and Katey Sagal's partner...I literally cringe at all of their lines. Hopefully at some point, TPTB realize how bad these two are and drop them because they add literally nothing to the show.

The guy who plays Sweatpants is kind of enjoyable as well, actually.

• Love 1
On 2/14/2017 at 1:32 PM, Ms Lark said:

Despite the excellent, for the most part, cast, I don't think any of them can really overcome the horrible writing. That makes me sad since it is a waste of talent. I keep hoping it will get better, but I think I'll be dropping this one very soon.

It's just so ... retro.

I was watching this show for Judd Hirsch but have also been pleasantly surprised by the performances of Jermaine Fowler as Franco and Maz Jobrani as Fawz (Oh! Right! That Moz Jobrani from NPR's "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me!" radio comedy news quiz!). But I am now watching because in today's xenophobically scary world, I am soothed by the cornball cross-cultural agape love thing on my TV for half an hour each week.

• Love 7

Just caught this episode. They should clean up Judd Hirsch's character. Put on a clean shirt at least - it's a food establishment after all. Also the people standing around emitting their on-the-nose one-liners, with the ensuing loud uproarious laughter, it's a clone of Two Broke Girls.

Franco and Sweatpants organize a protest to oppose their landlord's plan to convert their apartment building into luxury condos. Meanwhile, Randy is nice to James in hopes of scoring a good recommendation from him for her sergeant's exam.

I like this show. It has potential. However, they need to get rid of the college girl. I wish Katy Segal's partner and Bill from the Goldbergs were mushed together to make one funny character instead of two meh characters. Judd and Jermaine have great chemistry!  

• Love 2

I tried really hard to like this show. But I found myself doing other things while watching. It isn't keeping my attention.  I can't put my finger on why I am not into it.  I deleted it from my DVR line up after tonight's episode.

Randy and Fawz try to show Arthur the fun side of life when he reluctantly takes a day off work. Meanwhile, Franco feels determined to prove himself at the donut shop in Arthur's absence.

Franco is subjected to a stop-and-frisk for no reason, Randy invites her fellow cops to a community outreach meeting to discuss profiling. Also, Arthur must consider his own unconscious bias when a piece of his sports memorabilia goes missing.

Since it seems like the show has pretty much an audience of one (me), I'd like thank the cast, crew, et al. for creating a show that draws a picture of how we could all get along. Even the homeless guy and his friends left without making a scene; instead Lou had the classic line of, "I'll send for my things."

• Love 7

Not just you.  

I saw the original "Superior Donuts" play at Steppenwolf Theater in Chicago.  We had season tickets back then and it was just another one of the plays.

Caught it tonight and decided to watch to see what they'd done with it, and was pleasantly surprised.  I agree with you completely about the way the show "draws a picture of how we could all get along."  I loved the good cop/bad cop ending with the Girl Scout mom and Lou's eviction from the bathroom.  

• Love 4