Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E02: Could It Be Twins?

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

Poor Ben (& anyone who hears it), that scene from a past show of him in the recording booth was filmed. Poor Ben. I also wonder what he will think when he sees the part of this show when Flame and his music partner were ragging on Ben and saying he probably wouldn't even be able to squirt a squirt gun with any style.

If Jill thinks calling the Terrible Twos the Training Twos is kinder and gentler she is mistaken. And I don't know what to make of the fact that Izzy remained in that toy car for so long when surrounded by so many other things to do.

Jinger is definitely aware of the snark about the girls sounding clueless. I think she made a solid effort of switching up her words when talking about pasta. Instead of saying, rigatoni is the only one I know, she stopped in mid-sentence and changed it to, rigatoni is where I'll land. I guess she already forgot about linguini. 

I have never been and never will be fond of chokers. Unless of course Michelle's childhood friend was hiding a medical issue with that ribbon tightly banded around her neck.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 1

Back problem found me sleeping on the couch. One of my daughters was over, she lost power. So, I heard parts of the show, while she was watching. I heard training two's, Jill saying she watched Anna handle the 4 kids, and someone said they would rather watch something like a concert with the family and not actually go.Deep sleep followed. I don't even want to watch it On Demand.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Micks Picks said:

I can see I'm going to have to hire a hitman.  They are driving me crazy with lazy pronunciation and improper usage, and I'm usually lenient about regional speech.  But the "whenever" when whey mean "when" can't be tolerated.   "Whenever mom was pregnant with Jana and John"   no no no

Agree!!!

• Love 1

I don't watch this crap so... What happened with Israel in the car?

6 hours ago, Micks Picks said:

Regarding the comment about hating Jill and her not assisting Anna (who looked really nice, btw).  She sure did not even offer an ouch of help, and the TLC guy even asked her some kind of question about it, which she squirreled out of, like oh when I have that many I'll be able to manage it

I'll have to look at it again to see the Jill in the car with Izzy.  I don't recall seeing it at all.  I'm sure it will only add to my hate and disgust.  Who took care of the kid while she was out biking behind the doofus hubby?

Jill lost her shit over Izzy giving Meredith a push when she came towards his play car.   It wasn't hard and Meredith just meandered off, however we would all have corrected him over it.  However, Jill instantly went nuts and started chastising him in Spanish.  She yelled "Cuidado!" and then told him to give kisses (besos or something).  

Jill's snarky comment about Anna chasing after all of her kids is what sent me over the edge.   She commented on how much work it was for Anna and then said something about God giving you grace to handle the situation you are in and she is sure he will give her the same grace when she has that many or some shit.   I yelled at Jill (through my tv)  "where was that grace when your shower curtain rod fell??!!"   She is such an idiot and yet always seems so pleased with herself.   

• Love 18
5 hours ago, BitterApple said:

She and Derick seem like they're going to be militant with the discipline. When Derick sternly told Izzy his music lesson wasn't over its like he was joking, but wasn't. I think they have ridiculous expectations for an 18 month-old.

I had forgotten about the music lesson!   I believe Izzy was 16 months (not pointing out to correct you, but to point out the absurdity of a 16 month old playing the piano).   What the hell are they thinking?  First off, I don't think Jill is qualified to teach anything at all.  Secondly, a toddler that age has a very short attention span.  Derick looked pissed and was pretty serious when telling him the lesson wasn't over.  Creepy!  Then Izzy went back to pounding on a few keys before the camera cut away.  I truly worry about what goes on behind closed doors at that house.

Derick was also very serious when asking Jill if Jessa's "appointment" was over.   As if she is some type of real medical professional seeing patients.  The rest of us were just rolling our eyes at the whole thing.   That guy is off his rocker.  Not sure if it's related to his obvious physical issues or if he's just looney. 

• Love 13

I'm not one to freely give compliments to this family, bc as I said upthread, I think I hate them.  But Jessa talking about how cute Spurgeon's cheeks were when he had the headphones on was pure, 100% happiness.  It was like she was thinking 'oh my god this is the cutest kid I have ever seen!'  And I have to agree.  Really adorable little guy.

• Love 17

i made it through the episode, though i almost dozed off a few times.

*props to jessa for going and trying something new. baby steps!

*anna looked really good.

*no mechelle and boob! always a plus in my book

*josiah knew what a hype man was. that was the biggest shock to me this episode.

*spurgeon continues to be adorable

*so bored during the jinger stuff....move on, weve seen the wedding!

I can not tolerate jill. 

• Love 7

Boob hates Josiah because he truly is the smartest out of all of them! Poor kid needs to be in college. Another mind wasted because he wasn't allowed to go to a real high school and college.

Jill is dumb.

Spurgie is the cutest.

SMH at how unqualified these kids are at living in the real world after being raised in the TTH prison training grounds.

TLC needs to stop trying to make Flame happen. 

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, SuzyLee said:

Flame, you will never, ever read this, but you are either one hell of an actor, an amazingly good sport, really hungry to get your music out there, or a sad little mix of all three.  

I was thinking the same , until I looked at his bio.  Is wiki bending the truth on this guy ? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flame_(rapper)

Stellar and Dove awards/nominations do come highly respected in the Gospel genre. " 2008: Nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Rock or Rap Gospel Album."

Flame and Ben make such an odd pair, to be "hanging out " together. Every time I see the two, sad to say unpleasant thoughts run though my head - like tlc is desperate to show diversity on this show, and Flame is "it" for this season. Last time it was the former football star/personal trainer, that supposedly helped JimB & Josh lose weight and Ben with his "football day camp".

Edited by sATL
5 minutes ago, sATL said:

I was thinking the same , until I looked at his bio.  Is wiki bending the truth on this guy ? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flame_(rapper)

Stellar and Dove awards/nominations do come highly respected in the Gospel genre. " 2008: Nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Rock or Rap Gospel Album."

He and Ben make such an odd pair, to be "hanging out " together. Every time I see the two, sad to say unpleasant thoughts run though my head - like tlc is desperate to show diversity on this show, and Flame is "it" for this season. Last time it was the former football star/personal trainer, that supposedly helped JimB & Josh lose weight and Ben with his "football day camp".

I'm not into Rap or Gospel, but I'm thinking Rap Gospel is probably not filled with oodles of competition. But ... maybe it is.

• Love 4

I hope the producers realize that Jessa and Bin are quickly becoming the only some what watchable parts of this series. Their segments are cute, make me smile and I abhor the duggars, so that is saying something

I think Jessa seemed almost embarrassed that at 23 she had never been to a concert, big props to her and also for bringing Spurgie with his headphones

Ben seems to be able to laugh at himself, and not take everything too seriously. I think it was great that he went on stage even though he was clearly nervous and out of his element. Good for him

I would love a season of those two exposing Jessa to the real world of music, concerts ect. LOL. Free Jessa!

• Love 11

Ben was "spittin' some bars." OMG, I was dying. I agree with everyone who said Spurgy is the absolute cutest thing ever. I just want to squeeze him. And yes, Jessa and Ben seem totally over the moon for him. Hope that continues with the arrival of #2.

• Love 5

Flame and Ben make such an odd pair, to be "hanging out " together. Every time I see the two, sad to say unpleasant thoughts run though my head - like tlc is desperate to show diversity on this show, and Flame is "it" for this season. Last time it was the former football star/personal trainer, that supposedly helped JimB & Josh lose weight and Ben with his "football day camp".

I think TLC did hook them up originally, but Bin really likes Flame and the relationship.  He's really happy hanging with the rappers.  Gives me hope that Bin will be willing to think outside the box.  He's the closest to an independent thinker that we have seen from this group.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Maya said:

"If Jinger were a cheese, what kind of cheese would she be?"

OMG.

No..........really?!  BWAHAHAHAHA...looks like I am going to have to watch this episode after all just to see this part!

• Love 1
9 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Omg, that look on Bin's face when Jill was trying to find the heartbeat.

I didn't think Jill reacted all that badly when Izzy shoved Mere, but she and Derick seem like they're going to be militant with the discipline. When Derick sternly told Izzy his music lesson wasn't over its like he was joking, but wasn't. I think they have ridiculous expectations for an 18 month-old.

Wedding stuff was a snooze. I love how Joy defiantly told the camera the guests better not expect a meal because they aren't going to get one, like being a classless cheapskate is something to be proud of. It did look like Jinger served a reasonable selection of finger foods, so her reception beat Jill's and Jessa's by a mile.

Jinger said that those foods were for the rehearsal dinner. She didn't serve rigatoni or fusilli at the reception. Maybe the reception had cheese, though? I think I remember hearing that there were crackers. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
stoopid spellcheck
  • Love 2

Jeremy stated that one of his groomsman requested a cheese table. My idea of a cheese table for upwards 1200 people, some of whom have seen plenty of displays, looks like this (link).  The cheese is in wheels or bricks (blocks) and there is more to pick and put on the table besides cheese. And the presentation is key. The "caterer" showed up in a 6pk lunch-cooler with cheese that looked like she picked up at the local grocery store, as opposed to a specialty aged variety.  Seemed like the "caterer" was thinking cheese platter. Wonder what the actual cheese table looked like at the wedding.

One of those pickle choices look like olives..

And mixing the pasta dish with your hands ? Yes, she had gloves but still..  Nasty !

Edited by sATL
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

Didn't Anna actually study child development in some kind of real college? Maybe she could give them some pointers based on actual research.

No, Anna supposedly did an online program at an unaccredited, probably Christian school that was never disclosed. I wonder if she ever did any studies at all.

eta: Spurge with the noise cancelling headphones reminded me of Boomer Phelps during the Olympics. I wonder if that's where they got the idea. I can picture Ben watching swimming online. Jessa? That would be too much NIKE!! But I can see Ben watching certain Olympic events.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, tabloidlover said:

I had forgotten about the music lesson!   I believe Izzy was 16 months (not pointing out to correct you, but to point out the absurdity of a 16 month old playing the piano).   What the hell are they thinking?  First off, I don't think Jill is qualified to teach anything at all.  Secondly, a toddler that age has a very short attention span.  Derick looked pissed and was pretty serious when telling him the lesson wasn't over.  Creepy!  Then Izzy went back to pounding on a few keys before the camera cut away.  I truly worry about what goes on behind closed doors at that house.

Blanket training.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Marigold said:

Derick was a little scary in that piano lesson scene. 

They're just so, so off. What makes them think a child that small is going to be able to sit through a formal piano lesson? Just give Izzy one of those toy keyboards, set him on the floor and let him bang away on it. It's so sad to see Izzy constantly battling his parents while chubby bubby Spurge just calmly chills out in his walker. 

1 hour ago, riverblue22 said:

I think TLC did hook them up originally, but Bin really likes Flame and the relationship.  He's really happy hanging with the rappers.  Gives me hope that Bin will be willing to think outside the box.  He's the closest to an independent thinker that we have seen from this group.

I agree. I think Bin's interest in Flame and the music is legit. He genuinely enjoys his time with Flame's crew and was willing to go onstage even though he knew he'd potentially embarrass himself. 

7 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

The pasta meals were for the rehearsal dinner. The cheeses, crackers and pickles were for the reception.

Doesn't the groom's family traditionally host the rehearsal dinner? I guess that would be hard with the Vuolos living on the East Coast, but I wouldn't want the Duggars taking care of the arrangements and stamping my name on it as the mother of the groom. I'm sure Diana heard "catered Italian dinner" and said that's cool, tell me who to make the check out to, only to gasp in horror when she saw the final result. 

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I agree. I think Bin's interest in Flame and the music is legit. He genuinely enjoys his time with Flame's crew and was willing to go onstage even though he knew he'd potentially embarrass himself. 

I am starting to like and understand Bin.  He was a typically horny 17-year-old boy, met a pretty girl and the next thing he knew he was married.  Not dating, not steadies, but courting which ends in marriage or you are out, buddy.  So he went along with it but still wants his young adult life.  Good for him. And because it is a story-line, JB can't stop him.

• Love 6

Oh, he had Jessa scoped out. He actually admitted that. He had his parents finagle an invitation to the Duggar home church to meet her. 

If there's one thing I can say about Ben, he seems to be a go-getter. He reached out to the Duggars and got Jessa. He reached out to Flame. He reached out to that event that's going to let him speak. Football camp? No. TLC already knew Steve from the Fat Challenge episodes and probably fit Ben into the already scheduled football camp for a plotline. However, I will concede that Ben may have known about the camp from his own football days, IF it existed when he was 14, which I believe was the upper age limit. If he contacted Steve, knowing he had been on the show before, then called Scott Enlow, kudos to him. 

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, sheshark said:

I am starting to like and understand Bin.  He was a typically horny 17-year-old boy, met a pretty girl and the next thing he knew he was married.  Not dating, not steadies, but courting which ends in marriage or you are out, buddy.  So he went along with it but still wants his young adult life.  Good for him. And because it is a story-line, JB can't stop him.

I agree with you.  Ben was just a kid who was in lust.  Jessa wanted to hurry up, get married and start popping out babies.  They could have a lot of fun together had they waited a year or two to starting having kids.  I guarantee that Ben will eventually start feeling trapped in a few years.  He wants to explore, see things and do things.  I think he realized all of this too late.  Ben knows so little about life in general.

I blame all of this on Jim Bob.  Anybody who shows his daughters the slightest interest, he makes them court which leads to marriage.  He's so afraid that somebody will steal their virginity that he encourages them to marry the first "boy" who gives them a second look.

Ben's parents share the blame.  I wish they had talked him out of moving onto the Duggar compound and encouraged him to date other young ladies before he got serious.  I wish they had encouraged him to attend college before getting married.  But I knew that once Ben moved into the compound, a wedding was around the corner and the carefree life he'd known for all of 18 years was over.  It was also like Jim Bob had set a trap for him.

Edited by Evagirl
grammar
  • Love 5

Oh sweet tater tot casserole! Are the Duggars so clueless they need someone to show them how to cook pasta and throw pickles and vegetables on a tray! Or is this show just so desperate for something to film to keep them on the air?

The only thing I got from this episode is Spurgeon is still adorable as ever!

48 minutes ago, Evagirl said:

I blame all of this on Jim Bob.  Anybody who shows his daughters the slightest interest, he makes them court which leads to marriage.  He's so afraid that somebody will steal their virginity that he encourages them to marry the first "boy" who gives them a second look.

Did you catch the subtle shade Miss Cindy threw when she was in the car with Jinger? Jinger was saying something along the lines of how she can't believe she's getting married and Miss Cindy said "You were patient, you did it right." Hmmmm.

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Did you catch the subtle shade Miss Cindy threw when she was in the car with Jinger? Jinger was saying something along the lines of how she can't believe she's getting married and Miss Cindy said "You were patient, you did it right." Hmmmm.

Oh yeah.

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, Texasmom1970 said:

Oh sweet tater tot casserole! Are the Duggars so clueless they need someone to show them how to cook pasta and throw pickles and vegetables on a tray! Or is this show just so desperate for something to film to keep them on the air?

And not just any pickle.  Bread and butter pickles bc they're 'daintier.'  Good god!  A pickle is a fucking pickle any way you slice it....unless it's a Jimmy John's pickle.  Those rock my world.  :)  But I STILL wouldn't serve them at my wedding.

And did they have their wedding at one church and then left to go to another church for a reception?  What was the point?

• Love 4
19 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

They say it's not likely that if the mother had twins that the daughters will follow suit. Twins usually skip a generation, or so the old wives tale goes"

It is an old wives' tale.  The only kind of twins that run in families are fraternal twins.  Identicals occur randomly in about 1 out of 300 births.  Fraternals occur a little more than 1 out of 100 births in women who don't take fertility drugs.  They, of course, require the woman to release two eggs at once, which is why they have to run on the mother's side.  The rate of fraternal twins in women who are prone to them is about 5% per pregnancy; so it is still far more likely that even women with a family history will not have twins.  That's why it seems like they 'skip a generation'; most women who are genetically prone to twins still won't have them.

• Love 13
14 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

It is an old wives' tale.  The only kind of twins that run in families are fraternal twins.  Identicals occur randomly in about 1 out of 300 births.  Fraternals occur a little more than 1 out of 100 births in women who don't take fertility drugs.  They, of course, require the woman to release two eggs at once, which is why they have to run on the mother's side.  The rate of fraternal twins in women who are prone to them is about 5% per pregnancy; so it is still far more likely that even women with a family history will not have twins.  That's why it seems like they 'skip a generation'; most women who are genetically prone to twins still won't have them.

nice, concise explanation :)

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, woodscommaelle said:

And did they have their wedding at one church and then left to go to another church for a reception?  What was the point?

They would probably have had to use approved caterers or the college caterer if they'd had their rehearsal dinner and reception there.  They have pre-set pricing that was probably not Duggar friendly.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

Bin knew exactly what he was doing in pursuing Jessa, IMO. He had watched the show and knew it would likely lead to a quick marriage. And wasn't it Bin's dad that pushed a quicker marriage, not JB?

I think Bin THOUGHT he knew what he was doing. He was probably hopped up on hormones and wanted to get out of his house.  His parents failed him, and Boob is creepy opportunist. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, woodscommaelle said:

It's kind of random. It would be one thing to serve pickles with a deli platter of wraps and sandwiches, but a relish plate without anything more substantial to back it up? Um, no. I get that they're a Duggar thing, but there were a thousand other guests at the wedding to provide refreshments for. I think doing a tapas style plate with olives, cubes of feta, salamis and crackers would've made much more sense.

Edited by BitterApple
32 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

It's kind of random. It would be one thing to serve pickles with a deli platter of wraps and sandwiches, but a relish plate without anything more substantial to back it up? Um, no. I get that they're a Duggar thing, but there were a thousand other guests at the wedding to provide refreshments for. I think doing a tapas style plate with olives, cubes of feta, salamis and crackers would've made much more sense.

You're pretty much describing antipasti. Italian. Wouldn't Boob open the wallet for the meats or something? Meatballs seem so sloppy for a wedding reception, where people often wear their best clothes. Having olives at the tasting was almost there. I'm not sure of all the cheeses they had on hand (other than  smoked gouda, a stinky blue, and limburger). I thought I saw brie, which is pretty innocuous.  I'm sure the limburger was brought to freak them out....I sold cheese for years, and I could never eat it. 

At any rate, I don't remember cheese being mentioned as an option at the reception (although they apparently served smoked gouda with meatballs, ugh). I thought it was just crackers and reslishes. I'm too lazy to go back to articles to see if anyone mentioned food in detail, other than they served some. I just remember reading about meatballs, crackers, and pickles. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 2

Doesn't the groom's family traditionally host the rehearsal dinner? I guess that would be hard with the Vuolos living on the East Coast, but I wouldn't want the Duggars taking care of the arrangements and stamping my name on it as the mother of the groom. I'm sure Diana heard "catered Italian dinner" and said that's cool, tell me who to make the check out to, only to gasp in horror when she saw the final result. 

ROFL !!!  with tears....

East Coast, possible old world-cooking Italian, meets {not sure what cooking style to use } Duggar-Arkansas dishes. LOL !!!

Edited by sATL
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, BitterApple said:

What did she (Miss Cindy) mean by that?  (I refuse to watch, so sometimes I need a more detailed explanation.  Thanks!)

1 minute ago, Absolom said:

The ratings are in:  1.070 M viewers and a .32 rating.

I don't keep up with the ratings, but that seems low.  Is it?

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Caracoa1 said:

Tell me that Jill is NOT the only medical care that Jessa had seen these past 8 months?  

I thought I heard Jessa say that the baby's heartbeat was high at "last month's appointment."  (Or something like that.)  I'm sure it was just a Dr. Jill appointment she was referring to even tho she wanted it to come across to her followers that it was an actual prenatal visit with an OB or other medical professional.   She isn't fooling us. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Yes, the numbers are dropping again. 

I wonder did tlc hope the nbrs would get better on a Monday night. they might need to do like the Bates and drop back to a 1/2 hr show. unless its a birth, engagement or wedding.

6 minutes ago, farmgal4 said:

What did she (Miss Cindy) mean by that?  (I refuse to watch, so sometimes I need a more detailed explanation.  Thanks!)

I think it was a dig at Jill, who barely saw Derick a half dozen times in person before marrying him. Jessa settled for a teenager just to get out of the house, so I think Cindy was implying that Jinger was smart for nabbing a more mature guy.

• Love 3