Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 1/23/2017

Jaded
  • Start Topic

10 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

Damn! Whoopie was a bitch to Sunny, today. That was uncalled for.  She has been doing so well and then she gets nasty over Sunny's dissenting opinion about Taylor Swift.

At least it was over a critically important and timely issue!

Thank god I'm not watching.

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Love 2

Whoopi's lashing out like that was so inappropriate. Did the screen go to black in your market? Sunny handled it all with aplomb. (I don't think I understand what Sunny's issue with Taylor's tweet was all about though.)

I'm so glad Joy had the clip of Melania defending Trump's birtherism ready to go showing she's not some innocent victim in all this. 

Edited by merriebreeze
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, hisbunkie said:

As far as the March was concerned, the issue of reproductive rights was in the forefront- it's whatever YOU want to do to your body.  I can see where some would want to tarnish the legitimacy of the March by saying Right to Life groups were not welcome.  

It may have been the way it was handled (or presented).  Here's a quote from the Washington Post (bolding is mine), "At about 12:27 p.m., marchers from “Students for Life” jumped out in front of a contingent of the Women’s March with anti-abortion signs. They had staked out the march at 15th Street NW and Constitution Avenue NW and waited for the crowd  to come by before jumping out with signs."  Perhaps if they had simply marched along with the peaceful group things would have been better.

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

It may have been the way it was handled (or presented).  Here's a quote from the Washington Post (bolding is mine), "At about 12:27 p.m., marchers from “Students for Life” jumped out in front of a contingent of the Women’s March with anti-abortion signs. They had staked out the march at 15th Street NW and Constitution Avenue NW and waited for the crowd  to come by before jumping out with signs."  Perhaps if they had simply marched along with the peaceful group things would have been better.

I was at the March in Washington and I saw signs for just about everything you can imagine.  I saw people with pro choice signs. I saw people with anti-choice signs.    I do think most people were there with the intent to show solidarity for equal rights for everyone.  However I'm sure there were people there to bring attention to their personal agenda.  At one point I saw a man who was standing on a platform with a microphone preaching religious rhetoric. 

• Love 6
27 minutes ago, merriebreeze said:

I'm so glad Joy had the clip of Melania defending Trump's birtherism ready to go showing she's not some innocent victim in all

I'm not so sure that clip shows anything other than she has been coached within an inch of her life on what to say for the past 6 years. She definitely had a deer in the headlights look when Joy explained that the live birth certificate is the only document HI issues. Melania started to say, well, it should be easy for him to... And then was interrupted by Joy.  Was she going to say easy to get a birth certificate despite it being, you know, not possible?  I don't think she is bright enough to have a mind of her own.  She's purely decorative. 

I'm sorry, (tm Whoopi) but I agree with Whoopi that Sunny shouldn't be criticizing someone for not showing up to the march. I'm not really a fan of Taylor Swift but she might have had a perfectly understandable reason for not participating. It's not anyone's business. (But yes, the crack about what are you doing was uncalled for.)

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Apprentice79 said:

Damn! Whoopie was a bitch to Sunny, today. That was uncalled for.  She has been doing so well and then she gets nasty over Sunny's dissenting opinion about Taylor Swift.

I didn't see Whoppie as nasty.  The entire panel  was defending Swift.  It was nothing more than a spirited discussion.  

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, wings707 said:

I didn't see Whoppie as nasty.  The entire panel  was defending Swift.  It was nothing more than a spirited discussion.  

The audience had a visceral reaction to Whoopie's treatment of Sunny.  Whoopie will defend a celebrity to the death, when she feels that someone is attacking one. 

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 4
42 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I'm sorry, (tm Whoopi) but I agree with Whoopi that Sunny shouldn't be criticizing someone for not showing up to the march. I'm not really a fan of Taylor Swift but she might have had a perfectly understandable reason for not participating. It's not anyone's business. (But yes, the crack about what are you doing was uncalled for.)

I'm not sure Whoopi meant Sunny when she said "you," but what if she did?  I agree it was said in a snotty manner...but I'd like to ask Sunny, "Did YOU march?"  I probably missed the part of the show(s) where she explained that she did...or why she didn't.  I give EVERYONE the benefit of the doubt who supported the march but wasn't there physically.  Let's not play the holier than thou game.   Also, Sunny, those caterpillars you wore today are NOT attractive.  I did kind like the purple lips to matchy-match the dress.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Former Nun said:

I'm not sure Whoopi meant Sunny when she said "you," but what if she did?  I agree it was said in a snotty manner...but I'd like to ask Sunny, "Did YOU march?"  I probably missed the part of the show(s) where she explained that she did...or why she didn't.  I give EVERYONE the benefit of the doubt who supported the march but wasn't there physically.  Let's not play the holier than thou game.   Also, Sunny, those caterpillars you wore today are NOT attractive.  I did kind like the purple lips to matchy-match the dress.

Sunny didn't say she marched.  I found this discussion pretty silly.  I agree, if you could not or did not march send support for those who did. How can that possibly be wrong!  LOL!   Much ado about not much.  

19 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

Whoopie will defend a celebrity to the death, when she feels that someone is attacking one. 

Yes she will because she is one and has experienced public opinion.  The premise of this show is differing opinions.   So they differed today.  Is that different from any other day?  LOL

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

I'm not sure Whoopi meant Sunny when she said "you," but what if she did?  I agree it was said in a snotty manner...but I'd like to ask Sunny, "Did YOU march?"  I probably missed the part of the show(s) where she explained that she did...or why she didn't.  I give EVERYONE the benefit of the doubt who supported the march but wasn't there physically.  Let's not play the holier than thou game

I had read there was a debate over whether the march was pro-women or anti-Trump.  Who cares why someone marched or supported the marches?  The fact that so many people did march and support the marches is the fucking point.  I can't help but wonder if this questioning of why people marched and who really does support why we marched is just a tactic to undermine the possibility of a real movement that could change things politically.  I'm sure the people in power right now are scared shitless that maybe if we all band together they will be seeking new employment in the next few years.

So while I appreciate Whoopi and Sunny having differing views (no pun intended) they need to realize at the end of the day we should all be on the same side.  Coming together to support everyone's right to be treated equally.  Even people you don't agree with.

Edited by susieq147
  • Love 9
10 minutes ago, wings707 said:

I find Sara delightful.  Her laugh is infectious and her honesty about personal things refreshing.

I'm a Sara fan.  She's sweet and honest...and grown-up enough to let us know she has an angry side, but doesn't bring it to us on TV.  The most interesting thing about her face is the perfect little "cartoony" eye-thing that happens when she laughs or smiles.   (   (     Rotate these to the right...that's what I mean.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, susieq147 said:

If someone has a moral objection to abortion I totally respect that however when their moral objection turns into wanting to control what all women do that crosses a line. 

I hope my post didn't come across as arguing against this point, which I completely agree with and I believe is essentially the point Whoopi was trying to make.  I just had a problem with the way she went about it.  She would do better to express herself the way you did which is by explaining why you feel the way you do and not just blurting out smug catch-phrases which ignore the reasoning of people who oppose choice.  

Shouting out glib slogans may make Whoopi feel like a bad ass but in reality the whole "then just don't have one" thing is too easily countered by standard right-to-life arguments and does nothing to advance the discussion about who should be deciding what a woman is allowed to do with her own body.  She just sucks the air out of the room with that crap.  It's SO OLD! 

8 hours ago, hisbunkie said:

I think Joy had a good point when she asked how 'right to life' believers felt about war and capital punishment?  Her question was buried by Whoopi's squawks.  

I agree, Whoopi's rant also managed to drown out the better-reasoned points of others on the panel and spoiled the discussion.  This show will be so much better off without her.  I can't wait for her to leave! 

I still haven't watched today's show, but after reading about it here it sound like more of the same bloviating from her, and about the crucially important topic of Taylor Swift, no less.  You gotta love how she is as passionate about random celebrities and their bullshit as she is about abortion, racism, and crime.  The mistreatment of her fellow stars is a vitally important issue, on par with global warming and war, lol 

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
  • Love 7

Pretty much giving the SNL writer a comedienne's pass on the Barron home school shooter tweet. Then she kept bouncing back over to Trump and what Trump has said. Barron is 10, what his dad does is not his fault. It makes Joy look petty and immature. But, I feel she comes across that way more than most here, so what do I know?

• Love 3

Right, I know what you're saying, I enjoy Joy 90% of the time, but how could you defend an entitled, educated, employed twentysomething who goes out of her way to make fun of a 10 year old?  Hasn't the years-long discussion on bullying done anything?  How could a mother/grandmother defend that?  Would she so vociferously defend that woman if the target was a ten year old Sasha Obama?

• Love 12
26 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

Would she so vociferously defend that woman if the target was a ten year old Sasha Obama?

... excuse me but could someone please ring that little bell that sits in the middle of the table please?  A very good point was just made.

• Love 5

I will miss Whoopie.  Sure she bugs me at times but Jed needs a strong presence to move her off her wordy diatribes and Whoopie does a good job with that!  

I don't expect to agree with those I like all the time.  I adore Joy.  I think her point was suspending the writer indefinitely was harsh.  She is not a hypocrite.  Not sure how that word can apply to her today or ever. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 10
14 hours ago, DebbieM4 said:

Can someone make Jed go away?

She seems to think that if she rattles off the same information over and over again, non-stop, and drowns out anyone else speaking, that somehow makes her right. I know that cross-talk is one of this show's hallmarks, but sheesh! Take a breath and let other people talk! I am not a fan of Whoopi, but when Whoopi was visibly disgusted by Jed a few weeks ago and threw her hands up in the air because Jed wouldn't stop the flow of words to let anyone else speak, I was firmly with Whoopi. Which is something I rarely say.

Edited by ChicagoCita
  • Love 10
5 hours ago, Haleth said:

I'm not so sure that clip shows anything other than she has been coached within an inch of her life on what to say for the past 6 years. She definitely had a deer in the headlights look when Joy explained that the live birth certificate is the only document HI issues. Melania started to say, well, it should be easy for him to... And then was interrupted by Joy.  Was she going to say easy to get a birth certificate despite it being, you know, not possible?  I don't think she is bright enough to have a mind of her own.  She's purely decorative. 

Melania obviously didn't have a true understanding, and was simply repeating what she had been told.   She clearly wasn't prepared to go even the slightest bit off-script.   I don't believe she ever cared at all about the whole issue, and was probably happy not having to do any more than parrot her husband's words.

And I agreed with Whoopi also.  No one (celebrity or not) has to explain why they did or didn't participate in the march.  Or why they did or didn't do anything else.  The march was hugely important and incredibly powerful, but participating certainly is not a reliable way to test people's beliefs or convictions.  Marched = good and Didn't March = bad just doesn't fly with me.  Plenty of people who are totally on board did not march, and lots of people went just to be with friends or for the experience or to put forth their own agenda.  Pointing fingers at what other people do or don't do is counterproductive to what we're trying to accomplish, and a waste of time and energy.

I didn't think Whoopi was asking Sunny specifically about herself.  It did come off as harsh, but she clarified so quickly that I'm sure she realized her intent had not been clear. 

1 hour ago, Vinyasa said:

Is it just my TV or is Jediblahblah looking more orange? Is she using too much spray tan?

She doesn't look orange to me, but I thought she looked awful today.  She's just so abrasive in every way possible.

• Love 6

I notice that Jedi keeps dismissing the critics/protests and describing Trump as someone who'll make "the hard policy decisions." I wish Joy or Whoopi or someone would lay into her for that nonsense. I'm sure the decisions aren't hard for him or the Republicans to make at all; it's just a matter of who to f*** first.

And she had the daring to argue he was being "held accountable" because he's being criticized by Joy Behar on The View. Being held accountable would mean not being elected, being impeached, being thrown in jail, etc., NOT being criticized by a talk show host. She's a lunatic.

• Love 19
10 hours ago, merriebreeze said:

Whoopi's lashing out like that was so inappropriate. Did the screen go to black in your market? Sunny handled it all with aplomb. (I don't think I understand what Sunny's issue with Taylor's tweet was all about though.)

I'm so glad Joy had the clip of Melania defending Trump's birtherism ready to go showing she's not some innocent victim in all this. 

I think Sunny was touching on the issue of fake feminism that's followed Taylor Swift around for a while (remember her Girl Squad). I can understand what she meant, that Taylor was trying to have her cake and eat it, too. Also, agreed on Joy bringing the Melania clip. I was right there with Sunny today on that topic. For a while, I've in a way felt sorry for Melania or at least not minded her, but, nope, not anymore.

As far as what Joy said in regards to the SNL comedian, I think her point is that the comedian is being punished in a way our president has never been punished for his words. Her exact words were double standard. Nothing hypocritical in absolute truth.

• Love 17
4 hours ago, abstractstuff said:

I didn't expect anyone to agree with me here. I like Joy, but, I can still call someone out even if I agree with them most of the time. 

Of course! Everyone says what they think!!!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, DebbieM4 said:

I didn't think Whoopi was asking Sunny specifically about herself.  It did come off as harsh, but she clarified so quickly that I'm sure she realized her intent had not been clear. 

Just thought this needed repeating....

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Totally agree. I can't express how disappointed I was that I wasn't able to march, when I had been so excited to be a part of something so important to me. My sister, childhood friends, fellow Lolly Locks members, as well as my grown up friends attended, and all I could do was ❤️all the status and pictures that permeated my Face Book feed. And it made me depressed I wasn't there, yet so happy to see my fellow sisters all over the world marching, and not a single arrest.

Health issues prevented me from going and I don't think any of my friends who did go, think less of me because I didn't.

Ahem

I'm glad I'm no longer watching as my brain wouldn't be able to handle it, but it pleases me that some have taken up the moniker I gave to Jedifoxbot (JediLyingLiarWhoLies)???

And I'm enjoying reading everyone's snark!

Finally, I bid you all Adieu as I have to undergo another mastectomy for the remaining breast, and reconstruction. I'll be recovering for the next couple of months and don't think I'll be able to prop up my ? while doing so!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.  We'll be here, holding down the fort, and look forward to your return!  :-)

• Love 15
2 hours ago, DebbieM4 said:

Melania obviously didn't have a true understanding, and was simply repeating what she had been told.

I keep hearing that Melania speaks five languages.  Google tells me these are the five: Slovene, English, French, Serbian and German.   Is she fluent?  Can she read and write in these languages...or is this more bragging that will be discovered later to be alternate facts...like her college degree ("After obtaining a degree in design and architecture at University in Slovenia, Melania was jetting between photo shoots in Paris and Milan, finally settling in New York in 1996.")

• Love 12
49 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

I keep hearing that Melania speaks five languages.  Google tells me these are the five: Slovene, English, French, Serbian and German.   Is she fluent?  Can she read and write in these languages...or is this more bragging that will be discovered later to be alternate facts...like her college degree ("After obtaining a degree in design and architecture at University in Slovenia, Melania was jetting between photo shoots in Paris and Milan, finally settling in New York in 1996.")

She may actually know all those languages, but not necessarily be the slightest bit interested in politics or current events.  It's so hard to figure out what's true and what's not, especially because so much has been proven to be untrue.  :-/   I think it's pretty clear that she's controlled by him, though, and I doubt she says anything publicly that hasn't been spoon-fed to her and given the Trump stamp of approval.   She's a beautiful woman who sold her soul to the devil.  I keep reading (elsewhere) that someday she'll realize that.  There's no doubt in my mind that she already knows, and has known for years.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, wings707 said:

I adore Joy.  I think her point was suspending the writer indefinitely was harsh.  She is not a hypocrite.  Not sure how that word can apply to her today or ever. 

After watching the show - closely -  I agree with you that Joy was trying to make a point about the SNL writer being punished too harshly.  But when she started bringing up things Donald Trump has said she really blurred the issue and she made it sound like she felt that because Donald has said crazy things and got away with it, it makes saying awful things about Barron Trump okay.  It's really her own fault for doing a sloppy job communicating her ideas.  

I think Joy needs to start picking her battles when it comes to Donald Trump.  She is stuck with him for at least the next four years and she can't go on a tirade about him every single day.  She is starting to turn into her own echo chamber and people are going to start dismissing her. Today was a good example of a chance for her to not read a laundry list of Donald's sins yet again - it added nothing to the conversation and she could have made her point much better without it.   But she had to turn it into another harangue against Trump, even though bringing him up did nothing but conflate and confuse the real issues and leave her looking like she thinks Donald's asshattery justifies people picking on his son.  Her real point was lost and she ended up looking bad.  

I'm not saying Joy has to let Trump's genuine misdeeds go unacknowledged, but if she goes on a rant every time his name comes up, she is going to turn into one of those people who couldn't do anything but talk about Hilary Clinton's emails whether they were relevant or not and accomplished little besides making themselves look like obsessed haters in search of something Clinton-related to be outraged about.  And Joy is better than that. 

10 hours ago, merriebreeze said:

(I don't think I understand what Sunny's issue with Taylor's tweet was all about though.)

Me either.  Sunny said she didn't care that Taylor didn't march, but then she implied her tweet was not enough.  She has a platform but didn't use it to Sunny's satisfaction.  I don't get it.  Is there some middle ground Taylor is obligated to sniff out and occupy? 

Why is it not okay for Taylor to just "dip her toe" into an issue if that is all she feels comfortable doing?  Why can't she just say what she thinks and feels comfortable sharing?  I don't believe that it behooves Taylor Swift or any other celebrity to live up to the political expectations of anyone else just because they have a "platform," sorry Sunny. 

GHScorpiosRule you better heal up quick and get back here soon ... we need you!  Good luck, honey! 

• Love 8

Thanks everyone. I'm meeting with my surgeons tomorrow to schedule the surgery. It will be over 10 hours. I have so many things to take care of that I won't have time to comment on my shows and here. Just wanted to quickly let y'all know what is up.

• Love 17
5 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I think Sunny was touching on the issue of fake feminism that's followed Taylor Swift around for a while (remember her Girl Squad). I can understand what she meant, that Taylor was trying to have her cake and eat it, too. Also, agreed on Joy bringing the Melania clip. I was right there with Sunny today on that topic. For a while, I've in a way felt sorry for Melania or at least not minded her, but, nope, not anymore.

As far as what Joy said in regards to the SNL comedian, I think her point is that the comedian is being punished in a way our president has never been punished for his words. Her exact words were double standard. Nothing hypocritical in absolute truth.

Yes, I so agree with this @TheGreenKnight.  I didn't hear Joy saying that the SNL writer made a good joke, or a bad joke.  The panel also said that the writer made a sincere apology.  

I heard Joy saying, why does some unknown writer get reprimanded for a joke, maybe a bad joke, when POTUS can say or do anything without repercussion? He never has to own what he says or does, nor does he apologize.  

This means, it is a not so brave new world.

• Love 15

I sure as Hell hope Today's Hot Topics include talking about that disgusting, restrictive anti-abortion bill HR-7 just passed by the GOP-Controlled House of Representatives restricting abortion rights for women receiving medicaid, women serving in the military & Native American women. This bill also includes financial penalties against Female Business Owners (only) for purchasing health employee health insurance offering abortion benefits.  Sounds discriminatory & very unconstitutional to me.  I'm waiting to hear Sunny's opinion on this hateful piece of garbage!

• Love 11