Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E01: Survival Of The Fittest

thewhiteowl

Between the length of time between seasons ]and everything having to be so shocking, I find myself watching this show in a detached WTF way.

Olivia's emotional reaction to all the events of this episode didn't make a ton of sense to me.  I can't remember why she cares.  is this still some PTSD reaction from being kidnapped and killing her kidnapper or something?

• Love 4
6 hours ago, J-Man said:

I believe they said he was shot at the Pennsylvania state capitol building in Harrisburg.

Ah, that clears that up. There's no way Jake could have done it.  I use to live in that area and it's at least a 2 hour drive from Harrisburg to D.C. (I have family in DC, so I'd make that drive pretty often). 

5 minutes ago, LeeLeePanda said:

Ah, that clears that up. There's no way Jake could have done it.  I use to live in that area and it's at least a 2 hour drive from Harrisburg to D.C. (I have family in DC, so I'd make that drive pretty often). 

Hmmmm, what about the military underground rail system just thought I'd get my conspiracy theory going.

Can Fitz be any more of a jerk?  Asks Mellie if she wants the job then pulls it.  She was ready to leave, but no he dragged her back in.

• Love 2

New season. Same old Liv. Why would she even ASK her father if he had it done? Does she expect him to be honest? But as soon as he says Cy did it, she is after Cy like a pit bull.  Of course Cy could have and would have done it, which makes it all the more likely that he didn't. The timing is not right for it to be him but is he that clever?  I doubt it. You know, I am so happy I don't have to sit through or FF Olitz trying eat each others faces off when ever they are in the same room. Relief.

Becoming Liv-lite sure didn't improve Abby's personality. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Haleth said:

Is this considered a new season or (as I though) just a continuation of season 5 after the Christmas break?

New season. Season 5 ended back in May, and they have been off since then. 

• Love 1
On 1/27/2017 at 7:31 PM, J-Man said:

I believe they said he was shot at the Pennsylvania state capitol building in Harrisburg.

They kept mentioning Vargas was in Fairmont Park (which is in Philly) and he was making his speech at the state capital  (which is 90 minutes away).  I would think a candidate would plan to be wherever his/her celebration is to take place, instead of having to travel and keep supporters waiting.  Also, I'm not actually positive the writers know the state capital is Harrisburg not Philly...

• Love 4
58 minutes ago, FlyingEgret said:

They kept mentioning Vargas was in Fairmont Park (which is in Philly) and he was making his speech at the state capital  (which is 90 minutes away).  I would think a candidate would plan to be wherever his/her celebration is to take place, instead of having to travel and keep supporters waiting.  Also, I'm not actually positive the writers know the state capital is Harrisburg not Philly...

I think people might be remembering the line that was something to the effect of "He got a shooter into the Pennsylvania State Capitol."  I believe that was a reference to the shooting Cyrus set up last season to make Vargas a hero.  The victory celebration was in Philly. 

• Love 1
On 1/28/2017 at 1:40 AM, LeeLeePanda said:

Jake definitely couldn't have done it himself, but he could have orchestrated it. I don't know if he would have done it on his own though, it probably would have been to help Pope.

• Love 1

Hey Everyone! 

I'm a huge fan of "scandal" and just found out about this forum... I actually have to admit that I was disappointed for the first episode of the season. It was clear that Cyrus did it... honestly I was expected that the theme of this season will turn to other direction. It's really remained the "House Of Card" when Frank was V president and then the president was killed.... any one think like me? 

Edited by livpop
On 1/26/2017 at 9:38 PM, Bama said:

When did Marcus become Press Secretary?

I'm guessing we'll learn Olivia insisted he and Mellie end the romantic relationship they were embarking on when we last saw them in S5, and the job is part of that somehow. Consolation prize, maybe. It wouldn't have been hard to get Fitz and Abby to agree to hire him, because they wanted the Republican nominee to win.

Thanks to the recapper for confirming that Jake's wife was recast, because I kept thinking that I would have remembered if Jessalyn Gilsig had been playing her last season. I was amused by her constant drinking - clearly during this campaign she's realized her marriage is a total lie and her husband's in love with Olivia.

I actually do like Quinn/Charlie for some reason. But I'm sure their wedding plans won't go smoothly. Olivia asking what the hell was happening was amusing.

I don't think Cyrus did it. Not that I don't believe he wouldn't have been capable of it, but he would have waited until after Vargas took office. Either way, I knew whoever won the presidential election wouldn't be long for this world, which is why it wasn't going to be Mellie who won.

Thanks to the recapper for confirming that Jake's wife was recast, because I kept thinking that I would have remembered if Jessalyn Gilsig had been playing her last season.

I was going to comment on this. JG is a somewhat known actress so to have her utter one line (and she's a drunk now!?) was odd. Maybe they have big plans for the character. And by big plans on this show, I mean she will be dead by the end of the season.

And count me in on being surprised Marcus worked at the White House. I know he felt shafted at the firm but I don't remember him leaving. Then again, my memory sucks too so...

The thing is, I don't care who killed Vargas. The fact that there are so many suspects because all of them are terrible murderers is not something to be proud of. This show used to be about intrigue and secrets but now it's about who can be more awful.

• Love 3
On 1/27/2017 at 3:27 PM, reggiejax said:

Despite the insistence of all the promos not to miss the first 10 minutes, I in fact did just that. I just watched them on Hulu, and while it lived up to the explosive nature promised in the ads, there was a hell of a lot of stupid shit.

Most notably the idea that  Liv would urge Mellie to concede so quickly. At the time this occurs, Mellie has lost California by 4000 votes. Liv counters by saying that in a few hours it will be 20,000 votes, so Mellie should just accept it. What is bothersome is that 20,000 is a thin margin to lose any state by, but for California it is practically a tie, statistically speaking. Back in November, Californians came out to the polls to the tune of over 11,954,000 votes cast. Even if we go by Liv's prediction of a 20,000 vote margin, that is a just a difference of 1/6th of one percent of the vote. I don't know the laws that govern a recount in California, but it would seem to me such a razor thin margin would more than warrant a recount.

I get that it was done for the sake of moving the story along, but how are we supposed to believe Liv would give up so quickly?

THIS about the recount, and despite my enormous election fatigue, I also have to point out that an enormous portion  (3/4!) of the California electorate votes by absentee ballot, many of which are submitted ahead of the election, but MANY of which are also delivered as the doors close on election day.  In fact, ballots just have to be POSTMARKED by election day.  As of December 1st this past election, 4 million absentee ballots were still to be counted in California.  In California, ballots this year were counted if they arrived as late as three days late (which doesn't mean they were counted BY then, just they were set aside to be counted). I mean, I handwave A LOT for this show, but when it gets to the point where time after time it is so insulting, and one tiny tweak would have made it entirely plausible, I get angry with the laziness and the insult to the viewers.  

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 5:17 PM, LeeLeePanda said:

I thought Vargas accepted his win in Philly, then was airlifted to D.C. after he was shot. Then again, I was having trouble with my TV signal and missed a few things.

I think it would be an interesting twist if none of the Goon Squad had anything to do with the assassination. Like, it really was a lone gunman, and now they have to deal with the aftermath. 

You are right. Thanks for pointing this out.

So no one in the "goon squad" is the actual assassin. I must admit, I'm glad. I liked Vargas and would have hated it if Jake had killed him. I like your idea of someone other than the main crew being involved. I'm so bored by everyone in Olivia's circle being a killer. 

Is Tom still alive? Or Olivia's mother?

Thanks to all who pointed out Jake's wife has been recast. I couldn't place her last week, but I knew she had a very familiar face. I also kept forgetting to look her up. I've been rewatching the previous seasons and Jake's season 5 wife has a distinct look. To recast with an actress who was so clearly on Glee (and later on Vikings, I see from her IMDB page) is weird to me.

My initial thought was that she's a goner and that's why they chose to recast her with a known face. But she's Jessalyn Gilsig. No way she's just here for a season. She may be in this for a while. And that makes me sad since I just realized (like yesterday) that I want Jake to be endgame for Olivia, not Fitz. It took me a while to get there (since I haven't really cared either way for the past 4 seasons), and now that I'm on a team, I think that team is doomed. Oh, well...

18 hours ago, thewhiteowl said:

@slade3, I think Jake has been through enough, no need to saddle him with Olivia. J\K!

I know you're kidding, but you're right. And that's just sad to me. I've come to dislike Olivia a lot and believe Jake can do better.

What's really frustrating is that I watched episode 5x02 yesterday and I have a feeling I never saw this episode because it was all new to me. I was surprised by how much I loved Jake and Olivia on a road trip together. Olivia looked beautiful in her baseball cap and casual clothes, and Jake is always hot. They looked great together and the actors have a nice chemistry. I was watching the episode wondering why we can't have this. Jake and Olivia running OPA as a couple, solving juicy, twisty mysteries. Olivia not raising her voice at him...

• Love 4
On 1/26/2017 at 9:02 PM, WhosThatGirl said:

Where did Jake peace off to btw?

My immediate assumption was that he killed Vargas.  I was astonished when they appeared to be going the Cyrus route.  I still think my first reaction was right. Logistics is an issue, but he probably has a private plane or helicopter stashed somewhere...

• Love 1