Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E05: Scissors and Some Creativity

10 hours ago, rhys said:

Wait. If I go to Spain for 2 weeks I am not supposed to talk? I'm not understanding that sentiment at all. I don't see anything improper about it. I love hearing different languages here in flyover country.

While I agree Arn & Pat were being a but rude, it's TV entertainment. Plus Porscha is a maroon.

I agree that it was impolite of Arnold and Patrick to make their comments in German, but they could have made them as quietly in English and motormouth still wouldn't have heard what they said.  It was more an issue that they were intentionally excluding others from their conversation, even though they both speak fluent English, as did everyone else in the room.

My nail salon is owned and staffed by Vietnamese.  I don't mind hearing them speak to each other if it's obvious that they are saying, "Someone just came in; __________ is the next tech in line for a walk-in."  The only time I felt they were being a little rude was when I was the only English-speaking person in the room and they were chatting back and forth.  I felt excluded.  

• Love 4

Just saw the episode.  OMG, Chael.  If he doesn't get that creating your own technical difficulty is cheating....????? WTF?

And I liked how Carson handled it in the boardroom.  He didn't wait for Arnold to mention it.  He brought it up.

• Love 9

Hearing Arnold say, "Get to da chop-ah" will never not be funny to me.

The appeal of Harry Potter escapes me. I read all the books when they came out, and liked them. They are actually fairly dark. But something happened when the movies started appearing. The first one was OK to create the world, the rest meh and the whole thing became more kiddie like IMO. And now I can't help but giggle when they point sticks at each other in a threatening manner.

I'm not sure how you cheat on a fake and arbitrary show. One week Vince gets $700,000-plus for his charity, just because, while others get the standard $25k (and then Vince basically said "I'm done," and sacrificed himself to go home). Sometimes a project manager is fired for being responsible overall for failure, other times not.  I think the "cheating" was clever in the context of the show, though cutting the cord was a bit obvious.

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 4

They do have professional graphic designers on staff. One thing I came to realize is that they do EXACTLY what the team or leaders tells them to. Remember Liza Minnelli's name being spelled wrong that time? They don't spell check, don't make suggestions. They are just the hands on the keyboard. So yeah, Brooke can take a seat.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, rhys said:

Wait. If I go to Spain for 2 weeks I am not supposed to talk? I'm not understanding that sentiment at all. I don't see anything improper about it. I love hearing different languages here in flyover country

I'm sure there are a bunch of reasons why you're supposed to stick to a language the people around you are likely to understand. People can be nosy, or untrusting, and can take offense at being excluded. Coming to a country without bothering to learn a local lingo first can be considered disrespectful, like you're expecting everyone there to accommodate you.

• Love 1

Coming to a country without bothering to learn a local lingo first can be considered disrespectful

Still not clear to me: if I go to Rome for a week of vacation, I should learn Italian before I go? Looks like I might have to put off that trip for a year or so :-).

Edited by DoctorK
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, DoctorK said:

Still not clear to me: if I go to Rome for a week of vacation, I should learn Italian before I go? Looks like I might have to put off that trip for a year or so :-).

Having a guide or somebody else who can translate is usually considered sufficient in that context.

My advice about traveling in lands where you don't speak the language well:  Learn to say, "Do you speak English?" in the language of the country you're visiting.  Most of the time, if the native speaks English, they're happy to accommodate you, and they are pleased that you've made the effort to speak with THEM in their language.

I've never experienced people being rude to me in foreign countries when I follow this rule.  And I live in Arizona; I know how it raises my hackles a bit when the first question out of someone's mouth is, "Se habla Espanol?"  I would prefer that they ask me in English, "Do you speak Spanish?"  When I'm in Mexico, I feel it is courteous to ask, "Se habla Inglais?"

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

My advice about traveling in lands where you don't speak the language well:  Learn to say, "Do you speak English?" in the language of the country you're visiting.  Most of the time, if the native speaks English, they're happy to accommodate you, and they are pleased that you've made the effort to speak with THEM in their language.

I've never experienced people being rude to me in foreign countries when I follow this rule.  And I live in Arizona; I know how it raises my hackles a bit when the first question out of someone's mouth is, "Se habla Espanol?"  I would prefer that they ask me in English, "Do you speak Spanish?"  When I'm in Mexico, I feel it is courteous to ask, "Se habla Inglais?"

But when you are with your traveling companions and not interacting with locals, it is not rude at all to speak your own language. It is rude if you are talking about the people around you (as in the show's case) and also dangerous, as you never know who around you might speak your language. I am disappointed that none of the contestants seem to know any German.

• Love 4
Just now, auntlada said:

But when you are with your traveling companions and not interacting with locals, it is not rude at all to speak your own language. It is rude if you are talking about the people around you (as in the show's case) and also dangerous, as you never know who around you might speak your language. I am disappointed that none of the contestants seem to know any German.

I agree that speaking with the traveling companions is okay in your own language.  I don't know about talking rudely about those around me, as I don't do that.

:-)

• Love 1

Arnold and his nephew speak English fluently.  We all know that.  The contestants know that.  So it is rude to speak to one another in German when in front of the contestants.  And it's made more rude because they are mocking the contestants.

• Love 8
14 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

The first task was so forgettable, I...forgot what I wanted to say.  Well, almost forgot.  The biggest takeaway was sympathy for the cast as this was suuuch a product placement and nothing else. 

That reminds me ... did we even see the executives go judge the "events"? We saw the advisers go, but I didn't actually notice anyone from the I-forget-your-name-good-job-on-the-ad Snack Company. And yeah, the task was so dumb it's really my pet peeve. Ask the teams to design a brochure that will never be used, fine. It's a project. This was handing out free samples on the boardwalk, with pizzazz. 

4 hours ago, DoctorK said:

I'm probably not your typical person to ask, but ... I'm going to Austria in May so I started learning German in November. Even though I know they learn English in school I feel it's my obligation to be passable to lightly conversant.

2 hours ago, auntlada said:

I am disappointed that none of the contestants seem to know any German.

If they did, it might make sense strategically not to let anyone know. Who knows what they might overhear between Arnold and his son if they don't think any of the contestants will understand them?

• Love 3

I hope if they decide to do another season of this show they find a whole slate of contestants that actually really care about winning.  And/or have a format where the contestants are fighting for something they personally really care about.  It's great that the money goes to charity but then if you win your charity money why bother staying on the job?  I'm sure Vince heard his hot tub and Jack and Cokes calling him from Vegas.  He just could not be bothered this last epi and neither could Chael.   The lack of enthusiasm by some team members really kills the show's energy imo.  Even Arnold commented that everyone was tired.  Also, they need to upgrade the strip mall set they're in.  It looks like my dentist's office. 

Brook is annoying to me with her giggling and flirting with Matt and others.  It smacks of manipulation.  Laila is too low key as is Ricky.  I'll be glad when George is back.

• Love 6

This is an out an out disaster of a show. Arnold is a stiff.

They need to get a new host. I have a candidate.

A very successful business man with a huge following who is very theatrical and can command a boardroom.

Vince MacMahon.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Trooper York said:

Vince MacMahon.

Would he just stick with the old fashioned guttural "You're fiiiii-urrrrred-uh!" or would he bring back Vince McMahon's Kiss My Ass club?

Edited by Callaphera
  • Love 1

I went to Paris during the height of the Dubya/Iraq situation, France hated us. I wore a Canadian T-shirt and kept my mouth shut. :)

My first trip to Europe was in 1999 traveling as a DoD contractor. Americans were not very popular at the time and our briefing before departure included advice from State Department people. General advice was to try to not "look American" when off base. Canadian flags and logos were suggested. On later trips, I did a lot of solo travel but always aimed for a low profile. In Paris, several French people came up to me to ask for directions. I did my best with my extremely limited French but explained that I was just a tourist myself.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

I went to Paris during the height of the Dubya/Iraq situation, France hated us. I wore a Canadian T-shirt and kept my mouth shut. :)

I've been told by someone who lived in France for several years that Parisians hate everyone, and that other French people are nicer. I have no experience myself, as that is one European country I have not been to.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, zulualpha said:

I hope if they decide to do another season of this show they find a whole slate of contestants that actually really care about winning.  And/or have a format where the contestants are fighting for something they personally really care about.  It's great that the money goes to charity but then if you win your charity money why bother staying on the job?

What charity ever has enough money? I wouldn't want to see a return to the days of celebrities playing for fake charities, but those that did really cared about winning. Maybe they ought to swing a deal with NBCUniversal to see what kind of gig they could offer to the top-money contestants as an incentive.

I cannot stand Brooke. Not only is she lacking in talent, but she is a married woman fawning all over Matt for everyone in the world to see. I paid close attention -- they always touch each other, look at each other first after something happens, and sit next to each other. Another contestant said Matt has a "crush" on Brooke, and I can see that, but they both need to respect the fact she is married. Even if her husband is a douche. 

Matt did say something about focusing on finding a girlfriend as he left the boardroom after his win!

• Love 4

I just adore Carson. I loved him on Queer Eye and need to keep a closer watch on his career. I am also rooting for Laila and Boy George. If neither of these three win, I'm okay with Lisa. I think she's just a very focused, no nonsense, get down to business person. She reminds me of a former boss who I really liked. She was a tough boss but she was fair. This show is getting super sucky ratings where I live. The Bachelor has higher ratings and then there a few sitcoms on another channel.

• Love 1
On 1/25/2017 at 5:55 PM, cooksdelight said:

Twice in Italy a clerk spoke to me in German. One was very surprised that I am not, in fact German because I am half German and half Estonian and look it. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, auntlada said:

I've been told by someone who lived in France for several years that Parisians hate everyone, and that other French people are nicer. I have no experience myself, as that is one European country I have not been to.

I've been told the same thing more recently. Parisians being very opinionated toward the rest of the world does not represent the rest of the country.

• Love 1

I'm not minding Arnold, but I think a big part of it for me could be his hot nephew.   

I never understood the appeal of Harry Potter either.  The dual-world concept was cool and so was all the wizardry but I couldn't finish reading the series.  The plot lines seemed unnecessarily convoluted to me.   Too many random twists and turns and not enough substance.  

Of course my kids loved them, and they were responsible for getting my son to become a reader.  And for that, the author has my deep appreciation :)

And, I loved watching Matt Iseman's enthusiasm.   I know nothing about the guy outside of the show, but I love his enthusiasm, intelligence, and energy. 

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 3
On 1/26/2017 at 10:54 AM, zulualpha said:

I hope if they decide to do another season of this show they find a whole slate of contestants that actually really care about winning.  And/or have a format where the contestants are fighting for something they personally really care about.  It's great that the money goes to charity but then if you win your charity money why bother staying on the job?  I'm sure Vince heard his hot tub and Jack and Cokes calling him from Vegas.  He just could not be bothered this last epi and neither could Chael.   The lack of enthusiasm by some team members really kills the show's energy imo.  Even Arnold commented that everyone was tired.  Also, they need to upgrade the strip mall set they're in.  It looks like my dentist's office. 

That is my main issue this season. Most of the contestants don't bother fighting for their spot on the show. Sometimes they are even asking to be fired. This has been the case for the last few weeks. If they are not into it, why would the viewing audience be into it? Arnold is not charismatic or theatrical enough to watch either.

I hate the new boardroom. It lacks the intimidation factor. They should stick to a traditional boardroom.

Edited by waving feather
  • Love 2

I actually thought the whole thing with Chael was fake. He wanted off, got to keep his bad boy image and add some excitement to the show. I don't believe he cared enough to look into the particulars on the challenge. His team even seemed to be reading off a script in the boardroom. 

I also thought Matt's enthusiasm over Harry Potter seemed over the top for an adult. Not saying he isn't a fan-I'm a big fan myself but come on. The Harry Potter world has been at Universal Florida for years now- surely Matt would be aware of it.

i agree with those who say the boardroom is kind of boring. Arnold is making an effort, but the celebs aren't fighting to stay so there is no drama.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I also thought Matt's enthusiasm over Harry Potter seemed over the top for an adult. Not saying he isn't a fan-I'm a big fan myself but come on. The Harry Potter world has been at Universal Florida for years now- surely Matt would be aware of it.

I've been to the one in Florida five times.  And I'd have out-geeked Matt on that challenge.  Sometimes, we just love something more than makes sense to other adults.  LOL.

• Love 4

I've been to the one in Florida three times so you beat me! I probably can't explain it right but it is not that he loves Harry Potter that seemed fake to me. It's that he acted like he couldn't believe he found the various things in the exhibit. The whole episode seemed scripted and poorly acted to me. 

• Love 2

IDK . . . when I got to go to the movie studio in London (did I mention I'm a geek?), I was "oh, my GOSH . . . it's the real DOBBY!!!" etc., etc., etc.  Maybe he hasn't been to Orlando, and this was his first time at the one in Hollywood.  A geek on their first visit can be pretty hyper.  (Voice of experience.)

Okay, I admit it.  I've enjoyed Matt on every show I've seen him in . . . this was just icing on the cake for me.

• Love 3

Matt's enthusiasm read as genuine to me, very much so.  Someone who was not a HP freak would not know the details and he did.  

I hope Carson's exposure will bring him another gig on a weekly show.  Another Queer Eye show with a bigger budget could work, as well.  The format would need tweaking but there is definitely a need.  The decorator and Ted for food, if he has the time would work.   Jay was superfluous.  I would love to see more of him. 

• Love 5

I am Matts age and while externally I wouldn't have shown the same enthusiasm (I am a fairly reserved person), internally I certainly would have.

I love the Harry Potter series (I am not going to publicly admit how many times I have read the books and watched the movies). Was kind of disappointed my stepson never got in to it, but what can you do.

I always thought of Matt as kind of cheesy on American Ninja, but after watching this show, I get it, he is just a big kid and I love that! The fact he is always so happy despite having rheumatoid arthritis (I have it too) says a lot about him.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

I've been to the one in Florida five times.  And I'd have out-geeked Matt on that challenge.  Sometimes, we just love something more than makes sense to other adults.  LOL.

You don't say this out loud, in public do you?

ETA. posted this the same time as Jenkins. Ha ha ha. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I actually thought the whole thing with Chael was fake. He wanted off, got to keep his bad boy image and add some excitement to the show. I don't believe he cared enough to look into the particulars on the challenge. His team even seemed to be reading off a script in the boardroom. 

I agree, I think it was staged too. I watch MMA so I do know who Chael is. Chael's image in that industry is basically "the bad guy". He would say controversial stuff on purpose to make headlines or get fights with other top fighters. That's his whole shtick.

• Love 2

Finally had a chance to watch. I am so glad Carson was safe. I honestly didn't care if Lisa or Porshia were gone over Carson. Lol

i have liked Matt since the first time I saw him on Ninja Warrior. He does seem so personable and just a big lovable nerd.  I hope he makes it to the final two with Carson.

Regarding the speaking English in foreign country thing, I have been to Italy numerous times including non tourist areas where I have family and I have only had one issue with someone not speaking English. In a small drugstore when I needed meds after getting food poisoning. But my cousin did the talking. Frankly those that work in tourist areas know English. 

• Love 2
On 1/26/2017 at 2:45 PM, auntlada said:

Maybe I'm too American, but I thought Paris and Parisians were awful.  But even when I disagree with our policies, I don't particularly hide the fact that I'm an American.  Maybe we get a reputation for being "ugly Americans" because all the nice American tourists are pretending they are from Canada.  ;)

My brother told me that people in other parts of France were absolutely lovely.

On 1/29/2017 at 9:01 AM, TiredMe said:

Finally had a chance to watch. I am so glad Carson was safe. I honestly didn't care if Lisa or Porshia were gone over Carson. Lol

i have liked Matt since the first time I saw him on Ninja Warrior. He does seem so personable and just a big lovable nerd.  I hope he makes it to the final two with Carson.

Regarding the speaking English in foreign country thing, I have been to Italy numerous times including non tourist areas where I have family and I have only had one issue with someone not speaking English. In a small drugstore when I needed meds after getting food poisoning. But my cousin did the talking. Frankly those that work in tourist areas know English. 

True, although I think if I were travelling to a foreign country now, I would probably try to learn a few words, or at least have Google translate ready to go.

• Love 2

This round bored me to tears. I like Kyle but she didn't find her spine. Arnold does not impress. I thought I was just high when they went into German. I can barely understand him as it is. If next week isn't the end I am out.

Oh and how did Porsha go from straight shoulder cut to long and curley before she got on the choppah? 

2 hours ago, FairyDusted said:

This round bored me to tears. I like Kyle but she didn't find her spine. Arnold does not impress. I thought I was just high when they went into German. I can barely understand him as it is. If next week isn't the end I am out.

Oh and how did Porsha go from straight shoulder cut to long and curley before she got on the choppah? 

quickweave?  its a real thing where the hair is attached with glue instead of sewn in.

She may have also had a u-part wig which I think leaves your hairline out on top, but is sewn on, and pretty easy to remove/replace.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, RealReality said:

quickweave?  its a real thing where the hair is attached with glue instead of sewn in.

She may have also had a u-part wig which I think leaves your hairline out on top, but is sewn on, and pretty easy to remove/replace.

Thanks ! Good to know! I know nothing of weaves.

• Love 1
On 1/24/2017 at 7:12 AM, AZChristian said:

First time I ever saw him was on "Clean House" where they would go into messy places (not quite as dirty as Hoarders, but full of stuff).  He was their "go-to" guy for making furniture and storage units.  

Ah! Thank you for this! I most recently know Matt from "American Ninja Warrior" but I had completely forgotten about his stint on "Clean House" - I used to really enjoy that show and he was great on it! I can't believe I never made the connection.

Chiming in on the Arnold & nephew speaking German in front of the celebs issue - I'm assuming they're doing it for reality show entertainment purposes to try to be kind of funny. After all, isn't it part of the shtick of the show that he's supposed to be the big bad boss who's kind of dismissive towards the apprentices? I'm also assuming (and hoping) that he wouldn't do that IRL.

I've been a fan of Carson's since the Queer Eye days and I've enjoyed his appearances on several other shows, so I'm rooting for him to win. But I'd be fine with Matt or Boy George winning too!  

• Love 1

Chael cutting the computer wire was wrong on so many levels, not only was it dangerous to him and the others, someone could have been electrocuted or burned, and it could have also damaged the computer itself, and they could have lost what they were working on too. I don't see how he could have thought that would have helped or been acceptable because it was so obvious that's what happened.  Glad he was fired, he probably would have been in a regular job for that too.  

I finally got around to watching this one. Methinks Brooke has a little innocent crush on Matt. She might have been "reining him in" but she was having fun doing it. And no wonder. He's much more fun than her wet blanket husband. (I looked him up, by the way. He's done 4 things in the past 20 years. As least SHE has her infomercials.) 

• Love 1