Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Everybody Lies

Just now, LocimusPrime said:

Tip is annoying. So she's begs Dorothy to save her and now she blames her. Ungrateful!  Vindictive.  Annoying. Plus she almost killed her best friend for no apparent reason. 

I think both are just the opposite.  Tip was a prisoner, but his jailer didn't appear to be cruel.  Then Dorothy came and turned his life upside down, culminating with the switch in the forest, leaving her all kinds of confused.  She's used to being a boy, and is only slowly finding out how to be a girl.  It was natural (to me) for her to harbor resentment for the one who broke his stasis.

Imagine your best friend -- who has been a pal all the time you've known him -- suddenly starts making a sexual advance on you?  Wouldn't you push him away?  She didn't mean to kill Jack -- she just wanted to stop his kiss.

• Love 4

OK, I'm back on board. I probably won't have the recap up before Friday but I'm feeling much more positive about this episode than the last one. It doesn't hurt that Dorothy spent a good chunk of this episode being tortured.

The actor playing Jack is decent and while it's not the most compelling drama, I've been liking his storylines. And unlike Lucas and Dorothy who have too much baggage and who also feel really forced, it makes sense for them to be a couple. They have some kind of freakishness that unites them. Plus they're both trying to learn to get along for their own reasons. But also, they're young. They're teenagers or in their early 20's. It makes sense that they'd want to explore romantic feelings.

I think the actor playing Eamonn might actually be a good actor. I hope they give him more to do. There were some scenes there when I was like... wait, am I actually watching a good show? I'm sure they'll find a way to excuse Lucas killing those guards. Maybe he was defending someone in the cart.

Toto is only onscreen for less than a minute and I'm still in love with that dog.

It seems like Sylvie has super hearing powers but it doesn't explain why they used shells (are they magic?) and why she didn't talk until now.

West was almost what I wanted her to be this episode. It wasn't quite camp or the female equivalent of mustache-twirling but it'll do. I enjoyed the scenes where she was tormenting Dorothy. And that scene with Tip was almost as bad as Showgirls. Though I hate that the writers had her kill Miranda because they write their way out of that corner to free Dorothy and keep Tip from blame. Miranda could have been an interesting character. 

There was some bad, awkward dialogue this episode. I thought Jack and Langiwedere talking about friends and the gang that accosted them later were particular standouts.

The Wizard was kind of pathetic this episode.

It would have been so easy for them to make this show fun and funny instead of so serious but there are still moments I enjoy.

"Everybody Lies"?  Sounds like the episode title for an episode of House.

I was thinking that the whole time. Also, it was funny how many times it kept happening.

Tip has one hell of a poker face!

I'm wondering if Tip has some way of blocking West's magic from the way she closed her eyes and winced before turning on Miranda. But if she does, wouldn't West have sensed that Tip was blocking her instead of deciding that she could trust her?

How did I miss that Gina Bellman was Dorothy's mom?  Man, Leverage was an awesome show. 

It was hard to trust her before knowing she was West because I keep expecting Sophie to be pulling off some kind of grift.

It doesn't feel too weird to me, but I also think Langwidere might look younger under her mask. I noticed it once or twice when she switched masks and we saw more of her face. I do think they tried to age Jack a little by changing how they styled his hair. I think the actor could have played to match Langwidere but we first saw him with Tip who comes across very young. I think the actress who plays Tip is actually in her mid-late twenties but she can play younger and besides we're all warped from seeing 26-30 year olds play teenagers.

Oh I forgot. Confirmation that Mistress South really was the Mother of all Witches.  1000 children? I'm assuming she was very long lived.

If Dorothy is a Witch does that mean Karen Chapman is Mistress South? Or is Dorothy some new form of Magic?  

I don't think Mistress South is Karen Chapman unless she was disguised. Because West didn't recognize that she had disguised herself as Mistress South. And the Wizard said he wasn't able to save South. So she either died before he could or what... she just pretended to die so they could have a relationship? 

The wizard really needs to beef up security; Dorothy just waltzed right in!

That was INSANE. Who cares if she was wearing a mask? I can't believe they'd just let peasants wander into the palace. I wish they'd found some way to excuse it, like the gauntlets made her invisible.

Why didn't Sylvie find Dorothy when she was running around the city?  I thought she could sense her. 

I think Sylvie can hear well. I don't think she can sense people. So because Dorothy wasn't talking, there was nothing to hear. 

In that festival they were having the Beast was represented by a Chinese dragon, oddly enough. 

I think that was supposed to be a snake that came out of the Beast. I hope they start clarifying the Beast soon because I've said from the beginning that it seems like a catchall for lazy writing. The Beast is fire. But also floods. But sometimes a snake. Also sometimes it can make people perform ritual suicides. And Anna seems to be getting her info straight from the writers' room because there's no logical basis to any of her claims. The Beast can't be just ANYTHING until the writers finally decide what they want to do. It's annoying that they seem to be keeping things deliberately vague while they're brainstorming.

I am not really sure that Dorothy is The Wizard's - I feel like he's playing her.

I have no idea because I wasn't able to read D'Onofrio at all this episode.

Anna bothers me.  Probably because she comes off as entitled and self righteous.  Plus she acts like a know-it-all.  And I'm pissed she replaced the Asian character they had before.  And that SHE comes off as the "right one" against the black one.  It just rubs me all kinds of the wrong way.  I just get tired of the white girl centering.

Yeah, I'm not totally over them pushing aside Isabel and Elizabeth for Anna. I hope Elizabeth continues to play a role. 

I also hope we see more of East. She came off across as stern and villainess when we met her, but other people have spoken of her being merciful and loving. There was apparently more to her than what met the eye. Plus, her outfits are all kinds of awesome. The more witches the better.

I found her kind of dull. Like a non-actress. It seems like they wanted to hire Naomi Campbell or something. I thought she looked beautiful but she delivered her lines awkwardly and was mostly posing and looking fabulous in her red gown.

Didn’t anyone ASK why he might have felt compelled to kill a bunch of men? His violent outbursts are triggered when someone he cares about is threatened. I believe Eamonn was the only one who thought about it and wanted to buy time to find out.

I agree but let's not let him off the hook either. He's straight up murdering people that don't seem so terrible. We still don't know why Mombi was keeping Tip captive and she wasn't mistreating Tip. And those guards were just doing their jobs. And it wasn't the usual PG-13 TV violence that's just punching. They're all dead now. 

Oh, and I did want to shout out the costumes. Langwidere's costume seemed cheap to me last episode. They stepped up again this episode. 

On 2/1/2017 at 6:12 PM, rubinia said:

Pretty sure it's Park Guell in Barcelona. Gaudi, the architect, is known for that style with the colorful mosaics.

Serious question..is that where the term "gaudy" comes from when we describe designs that are....um...over the top?

49 minutes ago, OoogleEyes said:

Serious question..is that where the term "gaudy" comes from when we describe designs that are....um...over the top?

No, it's not. I too had the same thought once, and googled it, and it's just a coincidence that Gaudi's work is gaudy! 

Origin and Etymology of gaudy: probably from Latin gaudium joy — more at joy

First Known Use: 1651

• Love 1

Jack is my favorite part of the show but I find myself bored during most of the episode. 

The Beast of Forever is such a vague nebulous threat that I find myself underwhelmed by the stakes.