Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E04: El Cuegle

2 hours ago, Texasmom1970 said:

I hate to say this about a child actor, but they can take Diana away any time now. In a show that is based on supernatural she is just too creepy, weird and bordering on psycho territory. Maybe her and Eve/Juliette can run away together.

Any time a show has kids with super powers who use those powers to hurt or kill people, it always comes across as creepy. It was creepy when the dead eyed psycho was killing demons left and right on Charmed. It was creepy on The 4400 with Isabelle. It was creepy with Jesse on Supernatural. It was creepy and unsettling in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. when May had to kill that Inhuman child who was using her powers to feed on the pain and suffering of others. I'm hoping that Diana's remaining scenes are her parents explaining when she can and can't use her powers.

• Love 1

Why is Juliette hanging out in the tunnels? She should go to a hotel if Casa Nick is full. She looked cold and uncomfortable. No wonder she ended up giving into the stick.  If she'd had Netflix of HGTV to watch while sitting on her comfy hotel bed, the stick would have had to talk to itself. 

UO: I kind of didn't blame the dad for trying to move past the "monster" story. He wants the police focussed on finding his child and they are not doing that when they are listening to his concussed wife's ranting. We know that she did see a monster and the police knew she'd seen a monster, but from his perspective, it was all time-wasting nonsense. And in a way, he was right about rushing because his son was about to be eaten. I actually found the wife to be the most disturbing. While he interacted with the child, she had become obsessive about the photos. The child appears to have just become a model for her social media self-aggrandizing. Paparazzi don't take that many photos and they are getting paid. He could deal with her outrageous behaviour better, but she was manic and had lost the plot.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, kili said:

Why is Juliette hanging out in the tunnels? She should go to a hotel if Casa Nick is full. She looked cold and uncomfortable. No wonder she ended up giving into the stick.  If she'd had Netflix of HGTV to watch while sitting on her comfy hotel bed, the stick would have had to talk to itself. 

UO: I kind of didn't blame the dad for trying to move past the "monster" story. He wants the police focussed on finding his child and they are not doing that when they are listening to his concussed wife's ranting. We know that she did see a monster and the police knew she'd seen a monster, but from his perspective, it was all time-wasting nonsense. And in a way, he was right about rushing because his son was about to be eaten. I actually found the wife to be the most disturbing. While he interacted with the child, she had become obsessive about the photos. The child appears to have just become a model for her social media self-aggrandizing. Paparazzi don't take that many photos and they are getting paid. He could deal with her outrageous behaviour better, but she was manic and had lost the plot.

My unpopular opinion about Auggie's family and the monster story is that his abduction and his parents destabilizing marriage isn't enough to cause Auggie to kill his parents.

Talk to me when your mom makes a deal with a demon, who feeds you demon blood at six months old, staples your mom to the ceiling, sets your house on fire, and causes your obsessed father to absentee parent you while dragging you across the country killing monsters and demons. --Sam Winchester

• Love 1
16 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Any time a show has kids with super powers who use those powers to hurt or kill people, it always comes across as creepy. It was creepy when the dead eyed psycho was killing demons left and right on Charmed. It was creepy on The 4400 with Isabelle. It was creepy with Jesse on Supernatural. It was creepy and unsettling in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. when May had to kill that Inhuman child who was using her powers to feed on the pain and suffering of others. I'm hoping that Diana's remaining scenes are her parents explaining when she can and can't use her powers.

I am not holding my breath for the parents being a good influence with this kid -- Renard is looking happy that she will make Nick sorry if he steps out of line.  Adalind has some morality deficits of her own.  Besides, Diana outpowers both of them, so I think they have a big problem.  Maybe Adalind, Eve and Rosalee can concoct a super fantastic potion that depowers her and has no unexpected side effects and is permanent, and is permanent this time.  Practice makes perfect.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, ShadowFacts said:

I am not holding my breath for the parents being a good influence with this kid -- Renard is looking happy that she will make Nick sorry if he steps out of line.  Adalind has some morality deficits of her own.  Besides, Diana outpowers both of them, so I think they have a big problem.  Maybe Adalind, Eve and Rosalee can concoct a super fantastic potion that depowers her and has no unexpected side effects and is permanent, and is permanent this time.  Practice makes perfect.

I vote Diana dies and we end this uber powerful child crap once and for all.  Diana and Frau Pech can haunt Adalind for what she did to BOTH of them in order to regain her powers.  Adalind goes bonkers and tries to kill Renard and ends up killing Juliette.  Momma Grimm shows up alive and she convinces Nick it is time he leaves Portland with Kelly Jr.   Monroe and Rosalie leave Portland with their triplets, while Hank takes over as Captain and Wu becomes a Detective.  Renard moves back to Vienna after a not dead King kills Viktor.  HEA for all!

• Love 2
On 1/27/2017 at 9:16 PM, Eliza422 said:

Wasn't that a huge meal Renard was preparing for just him and a little girl? 

Leftovers for lunch?

On 1/28/2017 at 11:44 AM, iMonrey said:

Am I crazy or has Ghost Meisner lost his accent?

I thought he sounded Irish for some reason, rather than Eastern European, but as long as he's on my tv, I can live with it.

On 1/28/2017 at 2:30 PM, Dobian said:

Once they got to the case of the week, it became a good episode.  A real throwback to the early seasons.  I loved the moral ambiguity, making you question who the real monster was, the baby eater or that husband.

The wife was pretty bad herself.  I felt sorry for the not being believed thing, but she was so bloody obsessed with documenting every single second of the baby's life.

• Love 1

Renard and Adelind are the worst parents ever. 

Agreed. They've seen first hand what Diana will do to anyone she perceives to be a threat to her parents or their marriage. Why on earth did Adalind think it would be OK for her to move in with Nick? She just put a huge target on Nick's back. 

• Love 2

I wonder if Claire Coffee is pregnant.  They seem to be shooting her from above the waist a lot, and somewhat loose clothing.

Another thing I wonder about is why they are choosing to do the Meisner scenes not just from Renard's viewpoint.  In the first one, when Renard turns around to answer his phone, we see Meisner looking at him.  Likewise, in the precinct, we see Meisner watching Renard as he leaves the office and walks away.  I don't really get what they're going for, if he is just Renard being haunted, why are they shooting it this way?

4 hours ago, ShadowFacts said:

I wonder if Claire Coffee is pregnant.  They seem to be shooting her from above the waist a lot, and somewhat loose clothing.

Another thing I wonder about is why they are choosing to do the Meisner scenes not just from Renard's viewpoint.  In the first one, when Renard turns around to answer his phone, we see Meisner looking at him.  Likewise, in the precinct, we see Meisner watching Renard as he leaves the office and walks away.  I don't really get what they're going for, if he is just Renard being haunted, why are they shooting it this way?

Hmmmm.  It would be kind of cool if this all ties in with the "stick and death grip" story.  What if, Meisner was not supposed to die and he's stuck between levels of "death" and has come back to force Renard to deal with his BC involvement and to atone for being a "dickwad?"  LOL.   Okay, I am making up crap.  LMAO.  I like Meisner and am happy the show found a way to bring DP back to the show!  

I, too, think CC may be pregnant and that could be why she is wearing robes and bulky clothes.

Edited by Darklazr
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, ShadowFacts said:

If true, I surprised we haven't worked in a third baby daddy for her - I think Wu is the only one who hasn't been sexually assaulted in some way,  maybe it's his turn.

• Love 2

If she is preggers and they're hiding it I will be ticked off since it means they actually know how to do that.  I mean when they wrote the second pregnancy in I assumed they simply did not know that there were other options. Because while the first one gave us some amusing scenes the second was just useless. As a plot I mean. Not the real life pregnancy. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Darklazr said:

Hmmmm.  It would be kind of cool if this all ties in with the "stick and death grip" story.  What if, Meisner was not supposed to die and he's stuck between levels of "death" and has come back to force Renard to deal with his BC involvement and to atone for being a "dickwad?"  LOL.   Okay, I am making up crap.  LMAO.  I like Meisner and am happy the show found a way to bring DP back to the show!  

I, too, think CC may be pregnant and that could be why she is wearing robes and bulky clothes.

Well, your "crap" is better than a lot of the "crap" Show has thrown at us. I'll stick with yours. 

I was thinking that Diana liked Meisner. Maybe she rescued his "soul" somehow after her dad shot him,,,and has him in some sort of "purgatory "- where he is obligated to be Renard's conscience, to get him back to the (semi) good side. He did mention Bonaparte- but not Renards own father. So, maybe if Diana is "involved" in the death somehow, then maybe THOSE people (their souls) are treated differently than if they died by other means?

Now look at Me making crap up!

Edited by neuromom
  • Love 1
On 1/30/2017 at 8:28 PM, AuntieL said:

If she is preggers and they're hiding it I will be ticked off since it means they actually know how to do that.  I mean when they wrote the second pregnancy in I assumed they simply did not know that there were other options. Because while the first one gave us some amusing scenes the second was just useless. As a plot I mean. Not the real life pregnancy. 

The show chose not to write in Bree Turner's pregnancy and they should have done the samething with CC.  Come, on.  Women have babies all of the time and it makes no sense to write in Adalind having another kid, when we didn't need the first one!  Adalind could have shown some growth after Diana died BEFORE Kelly left town and went back to being a full time lawyer.  She could have crossed paths with the Scoobies / Renard and butted heads with the group, instead of being kept by the Royal's.

23 hours ago, neuromom said:

Well, your "crap" is better than a lot of the "crap" Show has thrown at us. I'll stick with yours. 

I was thinking that Diana liked Meisner. Maybe she rescued his "soul" somehow after her dad shot him,,,and has him in some sort of "purgatory "- where he is obligated to be Renard's conscience, to get him back to the (semi) good side. He did mention Bonaparte- but not Renards own father. So, maybe if Diana is "involved" in the death somehow, then maybe THOSE people (their souls) are treated differently than if they died by other means?

Now look at Me making crap up!

LOL.  Yes, join the making up crap team.  Hmmmm.  The King and Kelly could both be alive and since Diana is this uber special snowflake, she is the one keeping them alive.  Yes, Diana liked Meisner, which is why I still vote for the kid to be Eric's and she can run off with her mother and new-stepfather, Meisner!  Bwhahhaha.  Okay, I am being mean.  It would serve Renard right if Diana was really Eric's child and he was way too stupid NOT to get a paternity test.  Who in their right mind would believe Adalind would tell the truth about the baby's father?!  Kenneth even asked her if she knew who the father was for kid #2!

• Love 2

I am following Claire Coffee on instagram, and she does not look pregnant in her photos there

It was interesting that Diana commented that Adalind really loves Nick (or was it that Nick loves Adalind, can't remeber now). She said people should not hurt mommies, so it looks like Nick could be safe for now. Unless Renard tries to manipulate Diana even harder

7 hours ago, Snow Fairy said:

I am following Claire Coffee on instagram, and she does not look pregnant in her photos there

It was interesting that Diana commented that Adalind really loves Nick (or was it that Nick loves Adalind, can't remeber now). She said people should not hurt mommies, so it looks like Nick could be safe for now. Unless Renard tries to manipulate Diana even harder

Woah.  I think she is talking about Momma Kelly.   What if, Momma Kelly is alive, because Diana the uber special snowflake made everyone think she died in order to protect her from the Royal's?  I would buy that in a second!

40 minutes ago, Darklazr said:

Woah.  I think she is talking about Momma Kelly.   What if, Momma Kelly is alive, because Diana the uber special snowflake made everyone think she died in order to protect her from the Royal's?  I would buy that in a second!

More likely the writers have forgotten all about Kelly.  But maybe you're onto something, because if Diana feels that strongly about mommies, she could have taken some wham-bam actions against the people killing Kelly in Nick's house. 

2 hours ago, ShadowFacts said:

More likely the writers have forgotten all about Kelly.  But maybe you're onto something, because if Diana feels that strongly about mommies, she could have taken some wham-bam actions against the people killing Kelly in Nick's house. 

Remember the skull showing up when Diana was in the limo with Viktor and Repolzoi?  No one died at the time. Remember the skull showing up when Diana was in the helicopter with the King?  The King is now dead.  What I find annoying is the show uses the skull willy nilly and this kid is so powerful that she does NOT stop Kenneth and crew from harming her Mommy?  Diana would have sensed that Juliette hexenbiest was in the house with the sole purpose of setting up her Mommy, but sits on the floor and does squat?  Eh.  Maybe this is wishful thinking on my part, but the show went to great lengths to give us another set of Grimm books and does nothing to fix having Juliette setup Kelly to be killed.

On 1/30/2017 at 5:28 PM, Eliza422 said:

If true, I surprised we haven't worked in a third baby daddy for her - I think Wu is the only one who hasn't been sexually assaulted in some way,  maybe it's his turn.

LOL!!!!

Here's what I think will happen at the close of the show.  Nick will be killed.  Monroe and wife will leave Portland.  Renard & Wu will have a throw down.  Wu will kill Renard and will probably be mortally wounded in the process.  Hank will be promoted to Captain.  Trubel will return and be the resident Grimm.  I haven't figured out what happens to Adalind & kids or Juliette yet.

3 hours ago, Evagirl said:

Here's what I think will happen at the close of the show.  Nick will be killed.  Monroe and wife will leave Portland.  Renard & Wu will have a throw down.  Wu will kill Renard and will probably be mortally wounded in the process.  Hank will be promoted to Captain.  Trubel will return and be the resident Grimm.  I haven't figured out what happens to Adalind & kids or Juliette yet.

I never felt Trubel was ever needed on this show, so she dies offscreen never to be mentioned ever again.

Yes, Hank becomes Captain, Wu becomes normal after touching the "stick" and Renard moves back to Vienna.

Juliette, Adalind and special snowflake Diana all die, don't care how, just die.

Nick and Kelly Jr. leave town once Momma Grimm shows up unexpectedly at the Spice Shop looking for her son.

Monroe and Rosalie and their triplets all leave town with all of the Spice Shop contents.

Bud and his family remain in town.

47 minutes ago, Darklazr said:

I never felt Trubel was ever needed on this show, so she dies offscreen never to be mentioned ever again.

Yes, Hank becomes Captain, Wu becomes normal after touching the "stick" and Renard moves back to Vienna.

Juliette, Adalind and special snowflake Diana all die, don't care how, just die.

Nick and Kelly Jr. leave town once Momma Grimm shows up unexpectedly at the Spice Shop looking for her son.

Monroe and Rosalie and their triplets all leave town with all of the Spice Shop contents.

Bud and his family remain in town.

I'm gonna save a screen print of your ending and mine.  It will be fun to see who gets the most points after the last show - LOL.  

I've still got to come up with an ending for Adalind and the kids though.  I'm thinking...

What's your ending for Juliette/Eve?

Edited by Evagirl
forgot something
3 hours ago, Evagirl said:

I'm gonna save a screen print of your ending and mine.  It will be fun to see who gets the most points after the last show - LOL.  

I've still got to come up with an ending for Adalind and the kids though.  I'm thinking...

What's your ending for Juliette/Eve?

LOL.  It is fun making up stuff, especially since the show went off course a long time ago.

Juliette/Eve should have died at the end of s4 after she pulls her head out of her ass and realizes way too late that she set Momma Kelly on a collision course to be killed and handed Diana over to the Royal's.  Juliette was all in on removing Diana from her mother, so for her to throw in with Kenneth and the Royal's and to burn down the Grimmabago makes me hate the character even more.  

Juliette and uber special snowflake Diana had the power to kill Kenneth and the rest of his motley crew at Nick's house and allow Kelly to disappear with the child, again.  Or, Kelly realizes that she needs to do right by Diana and turns her over to Adalind and Renard and disappears after saying goodbye to Nick.

Adalind and the kids.  Ugh.  I would kill them all off and call it a day.  Yes, I am that mean!...lol  I am tired of the kiddie hour and Adalind being written as the best mother of them all.  No, just, no.  So, if the kids HAVE to live, once the ring is off Adalind's finger, we finally see Stefania's legal document come into play.  Adalind and Diana both lose their powers permanently and since Adalind reneged on the baby selling deal, Diana is morphed into Frau Pech and she kills her mother.  Before she dies, Adalind reveals to Nick that Kelly Jr. is a baby Grimm and he decides it is time to leave Portland.  Frau Pech aka Diana, says goodbye to Renard and returns to Vienna where she kills Stefania and all of her relatives.  

The End!

• Love 1
4 hours ago, neuromom said:

I don't know where my original post went, as it's been a couple years..but I believed from the beginning that Diana is Frau Pech . She's just not totally conscious of it yet.

Awesome!  There were consequences when Elisabeth saved Renard's life when he morphed into Jack the Ripper and killed those women.  Boo Hoo.  Adalind lost access to Diana for sixteen months.  That, IMO does not make up for the fact that she SOLD her baby to the Royal's and then ran off with the baby.  If Diana is Frau Pech in the end, it would be so awesome!

• Love 1

I love Monroe to pieces, but did Rosalee really need him to mansplain the saying about shoe-dropping to her? She brought it up because she fully understood it and knew that it applied to the situation. Neither she nor the audience needed him to go into detail about apartment living and taking off shoes after a long day of work.

I actually liked that scene, even if it was a bit ham-fisted. I think the writers were trying to give Monroe an opportunity to go on one of his historical minutiae-based tangents (“nerdsplaining,” as The Wild Sow put it), which they haven't let him do in a while. And Rosalee completely realized that he was about to tell her a long-ass story, because it’s one of those things about him she finds cute, and he knew that she was just humoring him (take a note, Auggie’s dickhead dad) so it didn’t come off as mansplaining as much as one partner putting up with the other's idiosyncrasies.

It didn't appear that there was any marital strife between the husband and wife until he intruded into their lives and the mother started babbling about seeing a monster, which the husband did not believe. We didn't see any evidence there was trouble between them prior to that. So if the baby grows up to be a psychopath because his parents fought all the time he's the one who's responsible for it in the first place. 

I have to disagree. I feel that they did show that strife was already brewing, what with the mother being obsessed with taking 5,000 pictures a day, and not even coming to bed because she had to post them right! This! Minute! The father looked like he was completely over it. I don’t know, maybe I’ve just seen couples like that, where one of them was clearly way more into the idea of having kids than the other, and sometimes they even steamrolled the other person’s wishes to get their way. But of course you can’t make someone be happy, so it rarely works out. You would think that the kidnapping and return of their infant son would have brought them closer together, but it didn't. They fell right back into that old pattern. So I think the strife was already there. Now, in the real world, of course that doesn’t have to lead to a homicidal teenager. Plenty of people have kids who aren't that into it (or even hate it), or are obsessive helicopter parents, and the kids manage to turn out okay. But on this show, where magical stuff is quite real, I think they showed that El Cuegle was trying to prevent a tragedy that was definitely imminent, because he tried not to intervene before, and that didn’t work. He didn't have to EAT the baby to kill it (lots of more merciful, less disgusting methods), but I think the story about his one failure (and the fact that Hank and Nick found evidence to back it up) proved that he was doing what was necessary.

Juliette is in the tunnel working through her transition. She used to be a vet who lived in a house she owned. Maybe something involving animals could be her new life once the stick purifies her?

But where is she sleeping? Where is she pooping? Even hexenbiests gotta go sometimes, right? She had a cot at HW headquarters, so we know she sleeps sometimes! Hell, get a motel room and work through your transition there! I don’t know why, but this is bugging me more than the layout of Nick and Juliette’s house, with the guest room that apparently came and went at will. It just feels so lazy, like they didn't feel like working out where Juliette was going to be staying after they "wrapped up" the HW storyline. Trubel got hustled out of town, fine, and Juliette is ... creeping in the tunnels beneath Nick's loft all day and night, cold and damp and miserable and weird. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, withanaich said:

I actually liked that scene, even if it was a bit ham-fisted. I think the writers were trying to give Monroe an opportunity to go on one of his historical minutiae-based tangents (“nerdsplaining,” as The Wild Sow put it), which they haven't let him do in a while. And Rosalee completely realized that he was about to tell her a long-ass story, because it’s one of those things about him she finds cute, and he knew that she was just humoring him (take a note, Auggie’s dickhead dad) so it didn’t come off as mansplaining as much as one partner putting up with the other's idiosyncrasies.

I have to disagree. I feel that they did show that strife was already brewing, what with the mother being obsessed with taking 5,000 pictures a day, and not even coming to bed because she had to post them right! This! Minute! The father looked like he was completely over it. I don’t know, maybe I’ve just seen couples like that, where one of them was clearly way more into the idea of having kids than the other, and sometimes they even steamrolled the other person’s wishes to get their way. But of course you can’t make someone be happy, so it rarely works out. You would think that the kidnapping and return of their infant son would have brought them closer together, but it didn't. They fell right back into that old pattern. So I think the strife was already there. Now, in the real world, of course that doesn’t have to lead to a homicidal teenager. Plenty of people have kids who aren't that into it (or even hate it), or are obsessive helicopter parents, and the kids manage to turn out okay. But on this show, where magical stuff is quite real, I think they showed that El Cuegle was trying to prevent a tragedy that was definitely imminent, because he tried not to intervene before, and that didn’t work. He didn't have to EAT the baby to kill it (lots of more merciful, less disgusting methods), but I think the story about his one failure (and the fact that Hank and Nick found evidence to back it up) proved that he was doing what was necessary.

But where is she sleeping? Where is she pooping? Even hexenbiests gotta go sometimes, right? She had a cot at HW headquarters, so we know she sleeps sometimes! Hell, get a motel room and work through your transition there! I don’t know why, but this is bugging me more than the layout of Nick and Juliette’s house, with the guest room that apparently came and went at will. It just feels so lazy, like they didn't feel like working out where Juliette was going to be staying after they "wrapped up" the HW storyline. Trubel got hustled out of town, fine, and Juliette is ... creeping in the tunnels beneath Nick's loft all day and night, cold and damp and miserable and weird. 

El Cuegle could have woged in front of both parents and told them he would eat their kid if they did not seek professional help!

I am not a Juliette fan.  She could have died saving one of the Team Grimm members at the end of s5.  Trubel leaving town was a good idea, since she is/was always an unnecessary character. 

• Love 1
On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 7:53 PM, SmithW6079 said:

Yes, I hate that kid. There's too much of that "Twilight Zone" episode with the way they all placate her.

That's exactly what I've been thinking.  She behaves exactly like the Billy Mumy character in the "It's a Good Life" episode of the "Twilight Zone"

goodlife.jpg

And she looks exactly like the kids in the movie "Village of the Damned"

Damned%20again.jpg

This character has been a boring, wornout stereotype for over 60 years!  Diana needs to go away in the next episode, or the stupid writers are going to kill the series finale with her...which is exactly why they're not going to get rid of her.  Just damn.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, SnarkyTart said:

That's exactly what I've been thinking.  She behaves exactly like the Billy Mumy character in the "It's a Good Life" episode of the "Twilight Zone"

goodlife.jpg

And she looks exactly like the kids in the movie "Village of the Damned"

Damned%20again.jpg

This character has been a boring, wornout stereotype for over 60 years!  Diana needs to go away in the next episode, or the stupid writers are going to kill the series finale with her...which is exactly why they're not going to get rid of her.  Just damn.

Thanks for posting the pictures!  Yes, it is clear that Grimm is using the same tired tale for Diana and they clearly chose to ignore Adalind selling the kid and signing Stefania's document.

Edited by Darklazr
  • Love 1
Just now, Ottis said:

I thought for sure baby eater was going to predict Monroe and Rosealee's babies were going to be evil, setting up an interesting dilemma. 

Far too much thought involved for these writers.

5 hours ago, Ottis said:

I thought for sure baby eater was going to predict Monroe and Rosealee's babies were going to be evil, setting up an interesting dilemma. 

How about the baby eater killing Diana and we can move on from creepy kid #1?

• Love 2

I just caught up with this episode (got cable finally, after my abominable digital broadcast TV started refusing to give me NBC no matter where I moved the rabbit ears), and of course nobody will read this at THIS late date. But I need to set the record straight. Not only was Monroe's explanation for the "other shoe" locution plodding and unnecessary, it was wrong. It was the kind of explanation people back-fill, inferring from their own sense of fitness when they don't know the real origin of something.

The real origin of the "other shoe" bit is a JOKE. Here it is, as told to me by my wonderful father (as wonderful as Monroe, he was) a long time ago when I was a kid:

A man lives in an apartment building, say in Apartment 4A. He knows his downstairs neighbour in 3A is a nervous, neurotic person who has trouble sleeping. One night the man in 4A comes home very late and starts to undress. He takes off one shoe and tosses it casually onto the floor, where it makes a thump. He then realizes remorsefully that he's disturbing his neighbour, so when he takes off his other shoe he lays it down gently and noiselessly. He finishes undressing and goes to bed.

Half an hour later, he is wakened by his phone ringing. He answers, and it is his neighbour in 3A.

"For God's sake," the neighbour says in an agonized voice, "DROP THE OTHER SHOE!"

From that joke it has passed into a shorthand reference for knowing something is inevitable (because a process has started) and waiting for it, but it originated in humour and not sociology. 

• Love 5