Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E12: Is Josh Free in Two Weeks?

On 1/28/2017 at 11:35 AM, dubbel zout said:

Did anyone else notice the package was playing the piano when both Rebecca and Patrick were atop the piano?

I almost missed it because I was getting ready for bed. I loved that moment! Lesson learned...don't look away.

And...that was Seth Green? Holy crap. I did not make that connection! In my defense, I was watching on a small TV. And you know, the getting ready for bed thing.

Does anyone think Rebecca and Josh might actually end up married in two weeks? Up until this episode, I took it as a given that they'd either break up before the wedding, or one of them would leave the other at the altar. But the show's piling on so many obvious hints that it's all going to fall apart...I almost think they're trying to surprise us.

Maybe they'll be married for one miserable year, and Rebecca will finally be out of delusions and have to get serious about therapy at the end of season 3.

• Love 2

Or they make a gigantic switcheroo on the pacing. They had 3 seasons planned from the start so I do assume they know exactly where they intend to go with this. Maybe S3 will be like CEG 24-style? ;)

Edited by theatremouse
15 hours ago, Trishelle said:

Does anyone think Rebecca and Josh might actually end up married in two weeks? Up until this episode, I took it as a given that they'd either break up before the wedding, or one of them would leave the other at the altar. But the show's piling on so many obvious hints that it's all going to fall apart...I almost think they're trying to surprise us.

Maybe they'll be married for one miserable year, and Rebecca will finally be out of delusions and have to get serious about therapy at the end of season 3.

This episode made me think it might actually happen. And frankly, I wouldn't be mad about it. I know it's satire but their relationship is not unlike lots of people that I know in real life. Quickie marriages happen all the time between couples that probably shouldn't be together and I think there's definitely  way to keep the show funny. I'm sure they'll inevitably get divorced and that could be just as funny, plus it's a way to keep Josh's name in the show titles every week. 

• Love 2

Loved that they brought Valencia in as the wedding planner. Perfect future role for her. Seems like a different character from early Season 1 but....

Loved Paula screaming at Naomi.

Naomi is one of those characters who behaves according to the needs of the plot. I absolutely do not believe that the woman who decided Josh was perfect for her daughter, the woman who told Josh to propose (remember after she said "Do exactly as I tell you." he proposed by the end of the episode), would blow off her daughter's request to help with the wedding. To her, the sooner her daughter got married the better, and she'd be the one flying into West Covina in the black pants outfit and a headset, making sure it happened before her kid changed her mind. I didn't believe her blowing Rebecca off for a single second. Her daughter is getting MARRIED and she acts like she's being asked to assist with some random situation? No way.

• Love 4

Seth Green was great. 

And it's a testament to how good the show is that Trent only showed up for a few seconds and I still giggled like a maniac thinking about him making a return appearance.

Is Rachel Bloom really a size six? Isn't that what Paula said about the dress? 

Yeah, I didn't buy that either. As someone who has hit every number from 2-12, she is not a size 6. Especially not with that "ample bosom." I thought that was a weird choice to lie about her dress size. 

I didn't think the episode was bad but with the Nathaniel plotline... I think the show just needs some time to learn that (at least in my opinion) the audience doesn't find the bathroom humor as amusing as the creators do. This has happened before with the 911 call, Miss Douche, throwaway gross out lines in songs, etc.

I'm disappointed that Father Brah didn't urge more caution with the wedding. A scene with Father Brah and the Rabbi played by Patti Lupone would give me life.

That reminds me of two things. 1) I assumed Father Brah was a Catholic priest. Isn't there this kind of couples counseling process you go through? 2) I know Rebecca doesn't believe in God but I found it a little odd there was absolutely no discussion about religious backgrounds/ceremonies or how that would work. Not even Josh's family or Rebecca's mom having some input even if the two of them didn't care.

A movie or music-theater ballad, but TL5Y is too recent (and itself refers to earlier styles, so go to the source). I heard 1970s, give or take a few years, and with the constant addressing the man while questioning, I thought of both Burt Bacharach ("What's it all about, Alfie?") and Stephen Sondheim ("Charlie, why can't it be like it was?").

I also thought Sondheim or Marvin Hamlisch by way of Barbra Streisand. So definitely 1970's.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, aradia22 said:

1) I assumed Father Brah was a Catholic priest. Isn't there this kind of couples counseling process you go through?

I think Pre-Cana counseling depends on the specific priest/church, though I'd think a mixed marriage would require at least one meeting, if only to discuss the ceremony. But I'm not bothered by no mention of this sort of thing. The wedding was thrown together in two weeks. Something had to give. 

That annoyed me too! I don't know why, stupid wedding ceremony details always annoy me, like when Lorelai and Chris got married in a church in France (don't get me started!). I just don't get why they didn't just plan a civil wedding where I assume you'd have a lot less hassle. I don't know, in Ireland you have to give 3 month's notice of a wedding no matter what type it is, so 2 weeks would be out anyway. I know not everywhere is like Vegas, but I assume a civil wedding in the States would have fewer strings attached than a Catholic wedding. I mean, I don't see Father Brah having issues with Rebecca not being Catholic, but we needed the certificate of completion of pre-marriage course in Spain, friends needed it in Poland, everybody I know who got married in a Catholic church needed it. I'm sure plenty of weddings take place without it, but no matter how easygoing Father Brah is, I think he would use it as an excuse to get them to talk about their issues. And yeah, that seems too sensible for this show, so why not leave it out?

On 1/29/2017 at 7:54 AM, Bruinsfan said:

Has Father Brah met Rebecca before? If so, I can definitely see him taking a pass on that counseling session...

They're cats that live in sun-drenched savannas, they sleep all the damn time with occasional breaks to kill and eat something!

Actually, the lionesses do all the hunting and cub-raising work. All lions do is sleep and hump.

On 3/28/2017 at 7:43 AM, cailinoBAC said:

I don't see Father Brah having issues with Rebecca not being Catholic, but we needed the certificate of completion of pre-marriage course in Spain, friends needed it in Poland, everybody I know who got married in a Catholic church needed it. I'm sure plenty of weddings take place without it, but no matter how easygoing Father Brah is, I think he would use it as an excuse to get them to talk about their issues. And yeah, that seems too sensible for this show, so why not leave it out?

Maybe Brah spent the whole 2 weeks stoned or has brain damage from prolonged weed usage?

WERE they getting married in a church? I thought it was a general wedding venue. Also, Rebecca isn't religious (only ethnically Jewish).

8 hours ago, Eva Marie said:

Actually, the lionesses do all the hunting and cub-raising work. All lions do is sleep and hump.

They do drive off rival lions and other predators to protect the cubs, so they're not altogether useless. They're just too massive to effectively chase down prey like the lionesses do.