Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E13: Lift Me Up

Angie tries to target her mother’s illness using radical nanobot technology, but she looks to Scott for help when her mother prefers using traditional methods. Also, when a graffiti artist with a clotting disorder falls from a bridge, Walter, Malik and Zoe attempt to use suspended animation to stop his internal bleeding. And Walter is put in an awkward position when Julianna discovers James used the unapproved GSS drug on Louis Keating.

Well, I guess that I get to go first on this one...

I had really liked this show when it first started; now I find it annoying in the way they are trying to create drama in stupid ways.  

Why did "W" feel the need to lie to his wife which put his marriage on the line, and for what?  And in "real life", James would've probably put the old guy on a yacht and had the unapproved medicine given to him out in the open sea or someplace not under FDA rules.   Anybody remember the laetrille clinics in Mexico?   And we also have the doctor Priest give Angie a kiss and then look like he is confused about his feelings which will lead him questioning his vocation.  Yawn.  Like a good-looking guy like him has never been around women before, and we know that Angie is just super-special.  Plus he speaks Manderin and would be the perfect son-in-law for Chinese Mom!

Was this episode supposed to be the cliffhanger finale?   Pull the plug and be done already, or get some decent writers who can give an appealing cast some really interesting story lines instead of this trite stale horsepoop.  

• Love 2

Does anyone know what this show is supposed to be? It is apparently set at the present time like a regular medical drama. But it is also science fiction (the high tech treatments) and fantasy (all the treatments are successful). Mixed genres can be OK but I don’t get the impression that TPTB know what they are trying to do. I just hope that viewers with medical problems don’t think it’s all real.

I felt like the CBS promos (which was what got me to tune in) spun it as "what could be, perhaps not too far from now"? Maybe just my interpretation? I have no idea how much research goes into each episode, if the procedures they use on the show are based on things scientists/doctors are working on (what could be, perhaps not too far from now), or if it's just the authors' fantasies (what could be, in a fantasy world). 

Being that the show is essentially cancelled, I doubt we'll find out. I'm probably ok with that if they were going to push Marital Drama between Walter and Julianna, because of course nobody can be in happy relationships on any CBS shows, at least the ones that I watch.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, 12catcrazy said:

And in "real life", James would've probably put the old guy on a yacht and had the unapproved medicine given to him out in the open sea or someplace not under FDA rules.  

No kidding. It could have doubled as a nice romantic getaway for him and the nurse too, but they had to add that drama.  

6 hours ago, JessDVD said:

I have no idea how much research goes into each episode, if the procedures they use on the show are based on things scientists/doctors are working on (what could be, perhaps not too far from now)

I'm a biomedical research scientist, so I know that a lot of what they have is currently available or will be reasonably soon. The nanobot chemo is in clinical trials. DARPA foam is real. Robotic surgery and 3D printing for medical use is going on. Geordi's VISOR is a real thing now too.  We can sequence entire genomes in a relatively short amount of time. Kidney chains are real. How well they work is likely exaggerated, but it is really not that far-fetched. 

I too was waiting for James to "discharge" Louis and continue treatment....That scaffold would not support an Ewok...W pulled the pin to be with Doc Bollywood, but we will never see that...

• Love 1
23 hours ago, 12catcrazy said:

And we also have the doctor Priest give Angie a kiss and then look like he is confused about his feelings which will lead him questioning his vocation.

She kissed him, so I thought his puzzled look was reasonable.

I did not like that W was trying to take the fall with his wife instead of James because it's idiotic, but at the same time I think he did it because if James basically owns/runs the hospital and goes behind the back of his chief of staff and is that reckless, then I think it's worse from wife's professional perspective. It basically means the whole institution is off the walls and even though personally their relationship would be less broken if W told the truth, he' saying what he thinks will hurt fewer of his patients. I don't know if that's actually true, but I think that was his reasoning: if he's just bad doctor, same bad doctor he was before, he's in trouble, his decisionmaking is suspect, he can be fired or fined or sued. But if James is the problem, then his whole project of having the hospital has the potential to be shut down entirely. Or something like that.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, paigow said:

I too was waiting for James to "discharge" Louis and continue treatment....That scaffold would not support an Ewok...W pulled the pin to be with Doc Bollywood, but we will never see that...

Yup. Julianna already thought he was cheating on her with Dr. Channarayapatra. They would have gone there if there was going to be a season 2. 

19 hours ago, theatremouse said:

But if James is the problem, then his whole project of having the hospital has the potential to be shut down entirely. Or something like that.

W had a post-anvil epiphany after talking with "Graffiti Artist Brother Martyr"... We have to save geniuses from themselves, it's in their nature to self-destruct while bettering the world.... 

• Love 1

"W had a post-anvil epiphany after talking with "Graffiti Artist Brother Martyr"... We have to save geniuses from themselves, it's in their nature to self-destruct while bettering the world.... "

LOL - how true! At least to the writers of this show...