Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Firefighting Clients

To be honest, I find Hawaa so hard to look at or like.  She comes across as somewhat smug to me, and the blue eyebrows, nose ring, and odd-colored lipstick in combination with the very covered-up clothing is such a weird disconnect that I tend to look away when she's onscreen.

I have to agree with this. I want to be open-minded and accepting of what she does to her face, but it kind of repels me, to be honest. Her whole look it starting to seem like a costume. It's as if she's trying to distract anyone from really seeing her. If you stripped all of that away, she's probably quite pretty. But she's disguising herself. Her garment this week was interesting, but clearly was what Hawwaa wanted, not what her client wanted. Her client looked really uncomfortable and I doubt she'd be caught dead in that outfit anywhere else.

I think Chelsea's outfit should have been in the bottom. The skirt was bad, and the "cat face" on the front looked likea whole lot of nothing.

prjr2-ep6-chelsea-sketch.jpg?w=900

I'm sad Allie got cut. I liked that she was into more modest fashion, and her minnie mouse buns and overalls were adorable. I would love to have thick, gorgeous, wavy hair like hers.

prjr2-ep6-6.jpg?w=900

It was interesting that they didn't mention it was Tim's idea to turn Cartier's dress inside out. Unless it was really her idea and what we saw was some kind of made-for-tv reenactment.

I have no idea what Takis are and I forgot about them the minute that guy stepped out of the shot.

Also, I do not understand Hannah's outfit at all. Shiny two-piece overalls should not be a thing.

prjr2-ep6-2.jpg?w=900

Edited by sleepyjean
  • Love 7
On 1/27/2017 at 0:39 AM, pinguina said:

OT: Takis are terrible!! My students eat them all the time.  A study found that eating too much causes ulcers in children. It eats up the stomach lining.  I had to ask my students not to bring them to school anymore (I couldn't ban them - just "suggest" to them to bring something else for a snack/lunch).

That didn't sound right to me so I googled it.  I think it's misplaced fear.  With any spicy food, too much can cause stomach upsets in anyone. 

http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/takis.asp

Now I want some.   I'd never heard of them but my teen sure had.  She laughed at how the Taki's guy pronounced it.  She said at her school they say it like "tockies" more than "tackies".  

19 hours ago, Sesquipedalia said:

WTF with this challenge? Couldn't they find any female firefighters in all of New York to dress? Dressing the wives of firefighters, with the guys standing by to give their opinions, seemed very retro and not in a good way. 

Izzy should have gone home for sure.

Except for the inside-out part. I will always love Christian Siriano for making that dress.

These are kids just building their skills.  They probably wanted to find body shapes that would not be too challenging thus the wives.  We don't know if they checked out the female firefighters, they may have. 

NYC has 47 women firefighters

http://www.villagevoice.com/news/progress-the-fdny-now-has-as-many-female-firefighters-as-it-did-in-1982-6659636

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1

This show is not nearly as good as last year because there were some stellar young designers on last year's PR Junior.

Having said that, I'm still mostly enjoying these kids. They worked with real women and had to listen to them and still try to incorporate themselves and I didn't hear one single "I'm only used to working with models!" Yes, there was some minor kerfuffle in the main design area with Allie asking them to please chat or be noisy in the break room, but I didn't see anything wrong with that.

And the fact that they were sort of disrespectful of others by being noisy when she was trying to work didn't necessarily bother me either because: teenagers. Most of them are more self aware than practically all of the designers we've seen on original recipe since the show made the jump to Lifetime.

Was sorry to see Allie (Ally?) go when Izzy should have done for that abysmal red faux boho thing. I guess she's got "personality plus" as someone upthread mentioned, but I don't give a flyer about that: I want to see design talent rewarded.

• Love 9

This season is Tieler's to lose.  I think that kid is AMAZING.  I agree with others that Izzy should have gone home for that "hot mess" </tm Hannah> of a dress.  Ugh.   I do still like all of the kids this season way more than any recent adult contestants.  I especially like that we had a "real woman" challenge with no real kvetching.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, wings707 said:

These are kids just building their skills.  They probably wanted to find body shapes that would not be too challenging thus the wives.  We don't know if they checked out the female firefighters, they may have. 

http://www.villagevoice.com/news/progress-the-fdny-now-has-as-many-female-firefighters-as-it-did-in-1982-6659636

The challenge and this link both show how far we have *not* come. Depressing.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Sesquipedalia said:

The challenge and this link both show how far we have *not* come. Depressing.

I first thought the show was in LA. I found that they are actively seeking women fire fighters.   It isn't like women are clamoring for this job and being turned away.  It does not surprise me that not many women seek this work. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, sleepyjean said:

To be honest, I find Hawaa so hard to look at or like.  She comes across as somewhat smug to me, and the blue eyebrows, nose ring, and odd-colored lipstick in combination with the very covered-up clothing is such a weird disconnect that I tend to look away when she's onscreen.

I have to agree with this. I want to be open-minded and accepting of what she does to her face, but it kind of repels me, to be honest. Her whole look it starting to seem like a costume. It's as if she's trying to distract anyone from really seeing her.

With respect, I sort of disagree with you about Haawaa. She seems to me like a fairly typical teenager trying things out and finding out who she is--the make up and so on. My own now grown son went through a blue hair phase and ear piercings but has since settled into himself just fine as he grew up and found his confidence.

I also think that she may be trying, to some degree hide who she really is, hiding behind the makeup and the rest--she, like the rest of the contestants--is still a kid finding her way, maybe a bit shy and intimidated by being surrounded by talented others (maybe for the first time), on camera and away from home and family.

I'm willing to cut her, and the others, a reasonable amount of slack which I likely wouldn't with regular PR designers.

And yes; Izzy should have been aufed for that scarf/boho/woodstock mess. It was flatout bad--badly conceived, badly made and simply unattractive.

• Love 6
39 minutes ago, wings707 said:

I first thought the show was in LA. I found that they are actively seeking women fire fighters.   It isn't like women are clamoring for this job and being turned away.  It does not surprise me that not many women seek this work. 

And it's not just "seeking" the work.  It's the qualifying to be able to actually do it.  Regardless of desire, it's a job whose requirements include being able to lift and carry a large amount of weight.  While SOME women may be able to do it, we'd need to work a lot harder to acquire and maintain that skill.  It's the nature of the beast.

I once was considering a job with the local utility as a meter reader.  There is no discrimination in the hiring practices, but the job required the successful candidate to be able to look over a 6-foot fence to read meters.  You were not permitted to jump or climb on anything; you needed to be able to see the meter by doing nothing more than standing on your tiptoes.  I'm just under 5 feet tall.  No way.  Nobody's fault but genetics.  

• Love 3
4 hours ago, wings707 said:

I had a firefighter friend in college who told me it was a great job and to look into it so I did.  I would've loved to apply but the physical requirements were something I'd need to work up to, plus I'd need to quit the smoking I was still doing then, in my 20s.   

15 hours ago, PepperMonkey said:

...and I didn't hear one single "I'm only used to working with models!"

I was listening while cooking so I don't know who said it but I think someone said that but it was in a good way, like, "I liked this challenge because I got the opportunity to design for real women.  In the past I've only worked with models."  

17 hours ago, PepperMonkey said:

They worked with real women and had to listen to them and still try to incorporate themselves and I didn't hear one single "I'm only used to working with models!"

I'm guessing these kids are more used to working with real people, themselves, friends, family, than they are with models. How many of these teenagers have access to models in their real lives? Half of them act like they don't even live in towns with fashion and they are so super special and isolated because of it. So I do think the "real woman" challenge is easier for them than for the adults who have morphed into the fashion worlds warped idea on how women should look. I think that's also why the kids can be more creative. They are fresh and untainted by the industry yet.

• Love 6
On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 4:46 PM, sleepyjean said:

I have to agree with this. I want to be open-minded and accepting of what she does to her face, but it kind of repels me, to be honest. Her whole look it starting to seem like a costume. It's as if she's trying to distract anyone from really seeing her. If you stripped all of that away, she's probably quite pretty. But she's disguising herself. Her garment this week was interesting, but clearly was what Hawwaa wanted, not what her client wanted. Her client looked really uncomfortable and I doubt she'd be caught dead in that outfit anywhere else.

Agreed on all counts.  But for me, I'd toss in Izzy's hat props.  They are silly and distracting for a person my age.  Both girls are just trying to express themselves.   I like to think they'll refine their personal style as the years march on, but then I'm reminded of Kelly Osborne has no such excuse for her hideous blue lipstick and should have grown out of it a long, long time ago (even though I'm a fan of hers!).

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 5:43 PM, wings707 said:

Wow.  That low number is really surprising given the size of NYC!  I think the kids actually did a really great job designing for non-model body types.  On the regular show, the designers would have fussed and fumed.  These kids rose to the challenge in a really great way.  I think that speaks to a reasonably high skill level across the board.  Although Izzy's was the one that added volume.  I'm glad she was saved because I am hoping she rebounds but I have to agree with all that it was a hot mess.

21 hours ago, PepperMonkey said:

This show is not nearly as good as last year because there were some stellar young designers on last year's PR Junior.

Having said that, I'm still mostly enjoying these kids. They worked with real women and had to listen to them and still try to incorporate themselves and I didn't hear one single "I'm only used to working with models!" Yes, there was some minor kerfuffle in the main design area with Allie asking them to please chat or be noisy in the break room, but I didn't see anything wrong with that.

And the fact that they were sort of disrespectful of others by being noisy when she was trying to work didn't necessarily bother me either because: teenagers. Most of them are more self aware than practically all of the designers we've seen on original recipe since the show made the jump to Lifetime.

Was sorry to see Allie (Ally?) go when Izzy should have done for that abysmal red faux boho thing. I guess she's got "personality plus" as someone upthread mentioned, but I don't give a flyer about that: I want to see design talent rewarded.

Agree.  I think Season One was a fluke.  The top 4 were protégés.  Hannah said as much at one point.   One of the things I am finding interesting, though, is that Season Two contestants seem to lack a clear voice in terms of their designs.  Last year, who-did-what was clear.  Each of the top four designers had already developed very clear styles.   I don't think we're seeing as much of that this year.  Tieler, for example, for as good as he is, I wouldn't know his designs from any others.  There are exceptions, I guess. Chelsea's ninja thing, Chris and Hawaa with whacky pattern and color pairings but that's about it.

Edited by Jextella

Also, season one was the first time, so they're pulling from the biggest pool of available talent. Season two gets some new people who are now in the age limit but they lose about the same number who age out. Season one of anything (provided enough people know about it to have a large casting pool) should have the most talent. 

• Love 2

Just a little surprised that all this time later, after all the things CS has done since PR, that the writer felt compelled to note that he was a PR winner.  In this context it felt like an asterisk rather than a compliment.

Because the reading audience knows him from Project Runway and not the pages of Vogue.

I couldn't believe that Izzy wasn't the one to go home; she made her client look so dumpy and ridiculous with that outfit! It looked like she woke up with only a black miniskirt on and then wrapped herself up in the bedspread.

• Love 3

You know, when they were introducing the challenge, I was saying to myself "The firefighter wives are fairly attractive, which makes sense since fire fighter are usually fit and attractive."

Then when Izzy's model walked out I was confused, because that was not the same woman that walked into the workroom.  The outfit did horrible things to that poor lady's body.  She would literally look better in a burlap sack.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Jextella said:

I think Season One was a fluke.  The top 4 were protégés.  Hannah said as much at one point.

Proteges of whose?  Professional designers?  At their ages?  Not doubting you, I'm just wondering how that works with high school kids in diverse towns.  

Maybe that's why Izzy was spared--- a late-in-the-game model sub needed?  

27 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

Proteges of whose?  Professional designers?  At their ages?  Not doubting you, I'm just wondering how that works with high school kids in diverse towns.  

Maybe that's why Izzy was spared--- a late-in-the-game model sub needed?  

I was wondering the same thing and just had an epiphany reading your post: prodigies instead of proteges.

Edited by auntlada
In a post about misspelling, I misspelled epiphany. I knew it was wrong but couldn't think why.
  • Love 2

Just finished the episode. Izzy serves up shit week after week. Allie has shown some good things before, so this sucks.

Speaking of things that suck, that would be the editing. The final part seemed all out of whack. More parental involvement?

I don't care for Cartier or her name, but her dress was fabulous! I think every other design but hers was underwhelming so I'm glad she won.

Molly has been consistent okish. I like Chelsea personally. Tyler is talented. I hope they are the final 3. Kind of hoping a bird takes off with Izzy's sprout-head. She's the worst.

Edited by delicatecutter
  • Love 1

I'm really surprised at how boring Cartier's garments have been. Isn't this the girl was making dresses out of old phone books at home? Just about everything she's made has been tasteful, well made, and...just a dress. This week's red number would have been the same if not for Tim. I expected to see more creativity from her.

• Love 3
On 1/26/2017 at 10:16 PM, Marmiarmo said:

hated Izzy's "design".  I think making your client look dumpy/frumpy is a worse sin than making clothes over fashion.  That red garbage was ugly, and why is Izzy so stuck on the car wash skirt?  She did one last week, too.

I thought I was the only one who hated that look. It made the woman she was designing it for look bigger than she most likely is.

Regarding the bottom two, my thought is that the judges felt they couldn't send Izzy home because that would have made that poor woman in red feel worse than she must have felt already.  I can't believe any of the judges actually thought Allie's was worse.  It would have been awesome if the client had said "I look hideous, please send Izzy home".

I wanted to rip Izzie's antlers off every time I saw them.

I've no idea which designer it was but there was a hilarious moment when she (paraphrasing) asked "do you like cleavage or something more covered?" while staring directly at her wonderful cleavage.

• Love 2

Is "safe" worse than making your client look dumpy, old and exceedingly large in the hips?  I continue to be baffled by the judges on the PR shows.  These judges are entranced by what little Izzy has sticking out of her head instead of her designs.  That was a gross decision.  And Kelly knew it.

• Love 3

I completely forgot to chime in on this episode, probably because I tend to watch it a day late since this show is in direct competition with Top Chef. Anywho, I agree with many of you that Tizzy's poor client was so ill-served. That outfit couldn't have been more unflattering if she had tried. It looked a little like she took curtains off the windows and made the dress, but not like in the movie Gone With the Wind. Rather, like the parody skit that Carol Burnett used to do on her show which was freaking hilarious.

In any event, I think Allie was robbed of a "stay," and I'm so sorry Tim wasted his save on Akai. (I think that was his name.) Grrrr.

That being said, I don't think anyone did a great job and I really didn't like the winning look because the client looked as if she was ready to pop out of it. Some people like that sort of thing, but when I try on something as tight as that, I feel completely and totally uncomfortable.

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 10:21 PM, wings707 said:

Deep breath.  These are kids.  I hate them.   This season is grim, I blame Russia. 

That is all I got. 

No, wait. I love the judges and Hanna.  See? There is positive in everything. 

Seriously, you are not alone, I'm sitting on the adult asshole bus right next to you because I fucking hate these kids this season. Same thing with the Kids Baking show. It seems like you get one good initial season with really talented kids, then the networks just want to whore themselves out continuing a fluke show and each season gets worse and worse because there just aren't that many extraordinarily talented kids out there, much to the surprise and chagrin of their parents.

Hawaa is a straight up fucking bitch and needs to go on personality alone. The way she tormented Urkel - who admittedly was not very talented - was just bullying at its finest. She should have been sent home for poor sportsmanship, and yes, I think sportsmanship should be a deciding factor in shows like this. If you're going to be a nasty  bully, here's a ticket home...bye Halicia.  And that hideous make up, and the what I think is a fake headscarf...didn't she allude early on that she's not really Muslim but just fucks with people by wearing a head scarf? If so, another reason I loathe her ass.

And Izzy with her moronic headbands...I know she thinks she's so eccentric and off beat, but when you intentionally TRY to be eccentric and off beat, it comes off as poseur bullshit. Exhibit A: Izzy.  Maybe if she put as much though into her designs as she does into her idiotic headbands, she'd be turning out better pieces. And yes, she should have gone home already.

Tieler is about the only consistent designer in this group, and is mature enough to handle a competition like this. The rest need to go back to their 4-H sewing clubs, assuming they actually sew at home and aren't just paid actors pretending to be child designers.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, gingerella said:

Seriously, you are not alone, I'm sitting on the adult asshole bus right next to you because I fucking hate these kids this season.

I agree and love your entire post and this is hysterical! 

6 minutes ago, gingerella said:

Halicia

Is this her real name?  Not Hawwa?