Type keyword(s) to search

B&B : How Long Have You Watched?

• Start Topic

How long have you watched the show for and out of that time have there been any favourite characters that you have liked, ones that you have wanted to be with, and ones that you truly despised?

For me on and off since about the mid to late 90s. This show seems to be one of those where you can miss months and still catch up.

Favourite characters. Almost everyone.

Ones I have wanted to be with. hmmmmm  Katie who I think is rather gorgeous now. I have always liked Katie. Lauren Fenmore when she made a guest appearance many moons ago. I like donna. Ivy is rather attractive too and I like her too.

Sorry folks but I really can't stand Wyatt. He has an annoying voice and I have found him whiny on a few occasions. And Bill Good character, good actor but I can't stand him.

• Love 1

Started watching in '99. Ambers cousin Becky had just come to town to help with the baby as way of coping with the adoption of her own child, Brooke and Thorne were sneaking around, and Taylor caught TB helping a homeless man who was leaving under the beach bungalow she and Ridge resided in at the time. Good times.

If Wyatt had anyone other than Liam as his rival, I probably wouldn't care much for the guy either. I still haven't forgotten how he creeped on Hope back in the day. 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Anna Yolei said:

Taylor caught TB helping a homeless man who was leaving under the beach bungalow she and Ridge resided in at the time.

Sorry, I'm blanking...who's TB?

TB....Short for tuberculosis. This was another opportunity to show what a saintly saint Taylor was, as she refused life saving treatment that could've harmed the twins and died during the course section delivery before getting a reprieve. Because Taylor.

I swear, neither James Steinbeck, Adam Newman nor Stefano DiMera has had as many doted deaths as she has. :p

• Love 1

I don't remember the year, but in the late 80s.  I was looking for something to watch for half an hour while I was at home on my lunch break. I think I came right about the time after Caroline had died and Taylor and Ridge had started dating.  Since I grew up with a soap-addict mother, I was familiar with the genre, but frankly, what drew me in was how drop-dead gorgeous of a couple Taylor and Ridge were.

Ha! Ha! Back in the day, my friend and I used to wish that we could look like Hunter Tylo just for ONE day.  Boy, that would have been a "be careful what you ask for ..." epic fail wish to be granted.

• Love 2

Twice, actually. The first time in the 1990s when her deal with Fox fell through and we got the Princess Layla story. The second time she was shot by Sheila and Prince Omar apparently switched her almost-dead body out with a wax dummy and no one noticed.

ok ?

I think I came right about the time after Caroline had died and Taylor and Ridge had started dating

That would have been 1990 or 1991, depending on how far along Ridge and Taylor were in dating.

The first time in the 1990s when her deal with Fox fell through and we got the Princess Layla story

Are you referring to the Melrose Place snafu? That was actually a few years later. HT left the show in 1994 but came back in 1995, which is how we got the Princess Laila story. I'm not sure if it was to pursue anything with FOX, was it? Then, again in 1996, HT left the show again, though this time for Melrose Place. When that fell through, she came back to the show in the same year. No death this time, Taylor just leaves LA for a few months in 1996 and then comes back, even though she did say bye to Ridge and a few others prior to leaving.

• Love 1

Ashley actually crossed over to B&B for a short time. (Maybe during one of ED's perpetual releases/rehires from Y&R?) FC hired her to create a new fragrance line. They paired her up with Ridge and for once, he seemed pretty normal and settled with a woman who was not chasing after him. But, lingering in the background was some secret tryst or brief affair she had with KL's Rick in Paris. That caused problems between Phoebe and Rick and then Brooke began to rely heavily on Ridge as her sole support line after her rape. That eventually drove an irreparable wedge between Ridge and Ashley and they broke off their engagement. Ashley returned to Genoa City. (Guess ED got a better offer.)

• Love 1

I thought Ashley was a good addition to the show. She was in the industry to a certain degree (and her working at Forrester made sense), wasn't related to any of the core families, and had good links with Y&R for more possible future crossovers. I wish they kept her around longer.

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 1

Ashley was played by Eileen Davidson.  BTW, Eileen Davidson is on "The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills," now.  I will confess that I've never watched any "real housewives" show, but got curious when Eileen and Lisa Rinna signed on to RHoBH.  I'm hooked in now because those shows are such sheer WTF-ery. Anyway, if you like Eileen, you get to see some of her Malibu home and her husband and occasionally, their son, Jessie. Viewers liked Eileen when she first came on, but as of lately, not so much ... However, she's the oldest one on that series and hands-down looks the best. Stunning, stunning woman!

Do you live outside the U.S., Cocoa Pops?

We have Master Chef, but I don't watch it.  I should, because I LOVE cooking shows and cooking in general!  That's why I was cringing last week during that scene where Brooke was hacking up an onion.  I was certain she was about to lose a finger!

Newbie here....just started when $Bill dumped TK Ridge out of the helicopter in Dubai.  Never saw RM's Ridge but the little I have seen on YT and clips y'all post here he's not a very good actor.  I love TK.  Have since AMC.  I hate he's saddled with this shit writing and character (like SC).  They have so much more to offer.  Give them some good material dammit!  RS rules.  If she and TK were in another story line without their respective connections to other people (Eric/Brooke) it would be awesome.  They work soooo well together. Love JMc, DD and many more (Ivy, Wyatt, Sasha, LDG..;-), Katie when she's not being a busybody, Brooke (just make up your damn mind woman!  $Bill is for you!).  Pam & Charlie...meh.  To cartoony but fun in small doses. 

Steffy, Reed, Thomas, Caroline, Nicole and ZZZZZende can leave any time.

I miss Aly & Oliver.  Justin is easy on the eye.

I know I'm missing some folks but you get my drift......

Since Day One, but there have been times (sometimes blocks of years) that I haven't watched.  Last time I watched, Quinn was harboring an amnesiac Liam.  What I hoped would turn out to be a 50 Shades of Cray quickly devolved into another I love Liam story.  I stopped watching for months, often checking on this thread for updates.  Heard about Brooke wavering in a relationship (yawn...), Eric falling for a younger unstable woman (not again...).  Heard about the Spectra Invasion via FB, tuned in and saw Sally Jr call Thomas bucko, it reminded me of Sally calling Clarke bucky, I was instantly smitten.  I'm back for now, but I'm still FFing through much of the non-Spectra dreck.  

B&B used to be about the haves and have-nots, first the Forresters and the Logans, then Forrester Creations and Spectra Fashions, now it's about a bunch of horny millionaires.  I remain optimistic (maybe foolishly) about the return to form.

• Love 1

Well, this sounds promising, and could potentially get me back into the show if it goes well. I hope they keep CJ/Mick Cain around, and not just bring him back temporarily as a means to introduce all these never before seen Spectras. It would nice to have him on, as a nice historical tie to the old guard.

Granted, this would also have been so much better if they hadn't killed off Macy, Darla, and Ally, and had them around as well.

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 1

I will never understand why Bell decided to gut the Spectras by killing Macy off twice, killing Darla off and then Aly who was not just the only Spectra granddaughter for all practical purposes but Thorne's only offspring. Like others have said, the new cast has the benefit of being removed from the current idiocy but this would've had so much punch if they'd shown up a year ago as Aly was being pushed around by Der Fürher Rick the crybaby. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Anna Yolei said:

I will never understand why Bell decided to gut the Spectras by killing Macy off twice, killing Darla off and then Aly who was not just the only Spectra granddaughter for all practical purposes but Thorne's only offspring.

Such wasted potential!  I still say if Taylor could come back from the dead twice, why can't Aly come back once?!?!

• Love 2

She was pretty young, but from what I understood it was entirely driven for cheap drama of the bloody week. Aly was killed solely to prop up Steffy versus a bloodthirsty Ivy who was bitter over that tosser Liam and used Aly's death to stick it to Steffy.

Great use of a legacy character death, there. ?

Edited by Anna Yolei
  • Love 2

To grisgris: True. The same goes for Mackenzie Mauzy.

Still, could they have considered a recast first? In all her foaming at the mouth about Steffy, she could've taken a reprieve in Paris, then returned with a better head on her shoulders--and a new face.

• Love 1

I actually started watching B&B after meeting Darlene Conley. My brother married her niece and she was at the wedding. My sister and I were very excited to see her because we knew her as the evil Rose DeVille from Y&R (and honestly meeting Conley was far more interesting than the wedding because we knew it wouldn't last because my brother was a serial cheater). She was very funny and nice and every time she came by our table she would make a comment about something we were talking about.

My sister actually got to go to the B&B set a couple of times when she lived in California and Conley's niece was out there and stayed with my sister (yes marriage to my brother was over by this time). My sister got to meet actors from both B&B and Y&R. She said if you think they look thin on-screen they were much skinnier in real life (like Ronn Moss and the woman who plays Lauren on Y&R).

I also remember her niece telling us that her aunt was quite upset when B&B decided to have Sally become pregnant. She thought it was ridiculous at her age.

• Love 10

My first memories are of the Queen Mary storyline, but it was Caroline's death that made me really start watching B&B. I stopped being a regular viewer when Phoebe was still the only next generation character who'd been sorased (though I watched quite a bit of Bill's first storylines and interesting Brooke/Bill news is still the thing most likely to make me do some casual viewing) so I never really got to experience Hope or Steffy. It's crazy to think that almost ten years have passed since B&B stopped being part of my day, but every few months I still check out what's been happening because it was my favorite soap in my tween and teen years; that's why I haven't totally lost interest, as happened with other soaps.

5 hours ago, ElizaD said:

stopped being a regular viewer when Phoebe was still the only next generation character who'd been sorased (though I watched quite a bit of Bill's first storylines and interesting Brooke/Bill news is still the thing most likely to make me do some casual viewing) so I never really got to experience Hope or Steffy.

Lucky you ?

Getting stationed overseas, then having my wonky first gen smartphone shit out on me is what killed my viewing addiction, but the shit rethread of the ToD didn't help.

I've been watching since Day 1. I seriously have no life. Wow! 30 years of my life and I'm only 52. No wonder I'm not married. LOL!! I've been watching Y&R since about 1979. GH since 1978 & DOOL since  around 1979. I have watched all the soaps. In fact, in modern times I watched Capitol, Loving, Santa Barbara & Sunset Beach from Day 1. I watched the first days of Passions but dropped out early because the acting was so bad and writing too juvenile. I guess I need some realism with my soaps.

• Love 2

Since I was a small child. I remember the Sheila/Lauren stuff. So, I'd say since around 91. Though, I probably watched without remembering before that.

The daily lineup in our house was Y&R, B&B, ATWT, and GL.

Even when I was home-schooled. My mom would take that 3 1/2 break and set me and her on the couch in front of the TV.

But, I quit watching after Storm's death. And, I came back in February of this year. My favorite character is gone now though.

Bring back Thorne...darnit. I love Winsor Harmon.

Edited by Ryan Chamberlain
  • Love 2

I just watched that too. I'm like...."She's been married more times than Erica Kane was!"

I cracked up too hard at one of TK's answers.

"What is something you do while reading?" -The Host

"Sit on the toilet!"-Thorsten Kaye.

LMAO. I have no clue why that answer wasn't on the board. Cause, it's so true.

Edited by Ryan Chamberlain
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Coco Pops 67 said:

What kind of mother names their child Storm?

Storm was a nickname, because he was such a hothead....he was actually Stephen Logan, Jr.

But Ridge and Thorne?! Yeah, those ones stuck out a bit in the 80s. Nowadays everyone in Hollywood/LA is into making their kid as unique a snowflake as possible so no one would blink had B&B premiered today.

• Love 3

I have the first B&B commemorative book (10th year) and there was an introductory chapter about the origins of the show. Ridge is named after a friend of Brad Bell's.  I couldn't find any explanation about Thorne. 

• Love 2

Coincidentally, there was an officer on my first ship who was born in '88 who was also named Ridge. He wasn't even surprised when I asked if it was in connection to B&B (Ridge was his mother's maiden name however, and *that* I found funny, given Y&R has an entire generation of children with their mom's last names!)

19 hours ago, Ryan Chamberlain said:

Same as my house!  I gave up GL, though, when the Reva clone storyline happened, ONE Reva was MORE than enough!

Edited by ByTor
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, AndySmith said:

Plus, weren't some male characters getting some random names in the 80s? Not just this show...

Funniest soap name ever comes from this show. Whipple (Whip) Ric Hearst's character. Yeah...I giggled every time I heard it because it reminded me of Mr. Whipple the Charmin guy.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, Ryan Chamberlain said:

My mom was predominantly a Y&R fan, and one of the viewers who came to B&B after Sheila and Lauren did. She largely had checked out after Sheila took off with Mary,  which is coincidentally when I finally started following the show! :p

GL was dropped from the Sacramento market well before it's cancellation so I never saw that one, but ATWT was largely a show I watched because it happened to follow B&B. It was the Jentitled Jennifer/Gwen baby story that got me watching on it's own merits. 

It's weird but the very few time I watch a non-CBS serial, I feel like I'm cheating ?? I have no life, lol.

• Love 1
On 3/24/2017 at 6:39 PM, Anna Yolei said:

It's weird but the very few time I watch a non-CBS serial, I feel like I'm cheating

I am so happy to see I'm not the only one who feels this way!

• Love 1

Hehe. The longest I followed a non CBS show was when Eileen Davidson was on Days a few years ago, which was like....two weeks I think. It helped that I knew Joe Mascolo from his days on B&B so I didn't feel that guilty ? But aside from the hot guy playing Brady (who worked even less often that Liam but hey, abs)  it just wasn't my thing. 

• Love 1

I don't know if I was loyal to one network...B&B was definitely a favorite, and I did like Young and the Restless too, but I also really liked All My Children, General Hospital, and One Life to Live as well. And I enjoyed Santa Barbara and Another World for stretches as well. Guiding Light too.

Damn, I've watched waaaay too many soaps lol

• Love 3