Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E09: You Regatta Be Kidding Me

The women journey to a high-society rowing event, but there's a sinking feeling when Adela confronts Juliet over her constant negativity. Also: Sophie is cornered for her loyalty to family over friends; Caroline Fleming tries to connect with her past; and Marissa consults a doctor about her health.

3 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

"I'm Juliet Angus. I'm off to meet Caroline Stanbury. On the way, I need to pick up a Chanel handbag."

--Georgina

Georgina has got Juliet's number. In 20 words, she captured Juliet's obnoxiousness. Her obsession to be fashionable. Her deference to Stanbury.

Georgina just catapulted her way to the upper echelons of Bravo children. Milania is the boss bitch, who will cut someone. Ayden is the smart one. Georgina can read.

Georgina needs her own show. Pronto. 

• Love 4

I enjoyed seeing Stanbury with her mom.  It kind of gives some realness to Stanbury that we don't often see and it explains why she is the way she is. This is a family that just doesn't go for emotions and being all touchy feely. It's a different family dynamic but I have to disagree when they were talking with the dad and they said being emotional is an American thing. Not really, Stanbury's. There's a lot of stick up the ass Americans, too!

Anybody know what did Fleming do to have her family alienate her?  She longs for their approval and love, it's sad. What ever she did, it must have been a real whopper!

Sophie, for god's sake, tell your kids about the split, already. I'm sure they have already figured it out in their own young little heads by now, anyway. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, bichonblitz said:

I enjoyed seeing Stanbury with her mom.  It kind of gives some realness to Stanbury that we don't often see and it explains why she is the way she is. This is a family that just doesn't go for emotions and being all touchy feely. It's a different family dynamic but I have to disagree when they were talking with the dad and they said being emotional is an American thing. Not really, Stanbury's. There's a lot of stick up the ass Americans, too!

Anybody know what did Fleming do to have her family alienate her?  She longs for their approval and love, it's sad. What ever she did, it must have been a real whopper!

Sophie, for god's sake, tell your kids about the split, already. I'm sure they have already figured it out in their own young little heads by now, anyway. 

Stanbury makes a lot more sense now that we've seen her parents.

Fleming's family has issues with her because:

• she divorced Rory for basically no reason. Fleming split from Rory because the marriage had become boring. Though she did have a legitimate beef with his desire to ship the kids off to boarding school at 6 years old. Rory also dumped a ton of money into renovating the castle. Her family is land rich and cash poor. The dude is handsome and has a billion dollars. He even filmed a reality show with her.  When they split, he still gave her family money to finish the renovations.
  • she later took up with a much younger footballer and had his kid out of wedlock. That's the kid that we've seen on the show.

I can't imagine that Sophie's kids don't know about the split. Sophie and Alex don't live together. Her kids are young, but they aren't morons.

Julie is exhausting.

• Love 10

After hearing Marissa say she was afraid of bonding w/her daughter before and after delivery for fear of losing her, it kind of makes sense why it was easier leaving her when Marissa went to The Hamptons

BTW, not judging  but it was odd leaving a newborn that was somewhat still fragile in health

Edited by sheetmoss
  • Love 2

The Henley Regatta!  Or maybe just an afternoon at a tiki bar?  It was hard to tell the difference.  I guess just an excuse to get dressed up again.

I liked seeing Caroline's childhood home, I didn't find her parents any more cold than other English parents.  Emotions are just displayed differently over there.  Americans are more forthcoming with their emotions.  I thought Caroline looked a lot like her dad.  I think this petulant child arc she's been on all season is because she's having to move to Dubai and having a lot of trouble with that.  I also can't believe that Juliet was actually considering moving to Dubai just to be near Caroline.  I loved when Gregor said that London was their home because they've built their life there.  If they had to return to the states, where would they even go?

Marissa's trip to the doctor was interesting.  He seemed to really listen but I was surprised he thought she was fine in her current and recent emotional state.

Caroline F clearly doesn't trust Marissa and all because she didn't like her past boyfriend?  Marissa wasn't even friends with Caroline at the time.  It seems silly to hold a grudge like that and even sillier that her parents might have put stock in Marissa's opinion of him.  Caroline is incredibly selfish, she only wants to do what she wants to do and be praised for it.  She's a lot like the other Caroline, she just disguises it in a nice way.

Julie has a right to be annoyed with Sophie, after months of listening to her rail against Caroline, she just up and tells Julie that she can't have any conversations about Caroline ever again.  What's Julie supposed to do with that, especially since she's been a good friend to her and Caroline continues to poke at Julie?  I guess she's supposed to no longer be Sophie's friend.  I think Julie should feel incredibly used.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Stanbury makes a lot more sense now that we've seen her parents.

Fleming's family has issues with her because:

• she divorced Rory for basically no reason. Fleming split from Rory because the marriage had become boring. Though she did have a legitimate beef with his desire to ship the kids off to boarding school at 6 years old. Rory also dumped a ton of money into renovating the castle. Her family is land rich and cash poor. The dude is handsome and has a billion dollars. He even filmed a reality show with her.  When they split, he still gave her family money to finish the renovations.
  • she later took up with a much younger footballer and had his kid out of wedlock. That's the kid that we've seen on the show.

I can't imagine that Sophie's kids don't know about the split. Sophie and Alex don't live together. Her kids are young, but they aren't morons.

Julie is exhausting.

I suspect your 1st bullet point is the main reason. Didn't the stepmother accuse Caroline of having left (in the sense of abandoned) them? And didn't Caroline say at one point about her marriage that she couldn't live without live and that money wasn't everything? The family might have been counting on a steady stream of Fleming millions. Your 2ND bullet point just added fuel to the fire.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, scenicbyway said:

Caroline F clearly doesn't trust Marissa and all because she didn't like her past boyfriend?  Marissa wasn't even friends with Caroline at the time.  It seems silly to hold a grudge like that and even sillier that her parents might have put stock in Marissa's opinion of him.  Caroline is incredibly selfish, she only wants to do what she wants to do and be praised for it.  She's a lot like the other Caroline, she just disguises it in a nice way.

This is the point I made repeatedly last season. Caroline Fleming's family was more inclined to believe Marissa's opinion of the boyfriend because in the years that they've known/known of Marissa she's never given them cause to think she's a dumbass. Whereas Caroline has.

Caroline dragged Rory back to Denmark to film a reality show about fixing up her family's castle, which he paid for. At some point during the renovations and filming, the footballer who would later be her baby daddy did a guest spot on the reality show. Suddenly, Caroline decided that her marriage to Rory was dead. If you remember last season when Caroline was talking about her falling out with her family, her constant statement was "they expected me to live without love." I'm sure that this is the juvenile petulant nonsense that her family had to put up with.

Her family tried to get her to work it out with Rory. She didn't want to. She started dating the footballer and ended up pregnant by him. He is 13 years younger than her. Her divorce was not final. She and the footballer separated a couple of weeks after the kid was born. They were together for only about a year and a half. Through all of this, Rory paid for the renovations to be completed on the castle.

Marissa has been best friends with Caroline's sister, Louise, for years. I think Louise might have been in Marissa's wedding and is godmother to her kid(s). Marissa has been to Denmark and met the family. She's spent holidays with Louise. Caroline's family has only known Marissa to be reasonable and normal. That's why they were inclined to listen to Marissa's opinion of the boyfriend.

The problem has always been that Caroline's family doesn't really trust her. Or they trust her to reliably make terrible decisions. Just like her "oops, my father is very sick" statement that she gave to the press. They think she's a flake, horrifically self interested, or both. Unfortunately, Caroline hasn't realized the choices and decisions she's made are the reason her family doesn't trust her. If they trusted her, Marissa could have talked shit about the boyfriend and they wouldn't have believed any of it. 

--------------------------

I get that Julie is annoyed by Sophie, but she has to realize that Sophie's boundaries were terrible before. That's the change. Sophie now understands what her boundaries should have been. It sucks, but it's not a permanent problem. Stanbury would be off to Dubai and out of their lives in a couple of weeks.

What was up with the tiki bar at the regatta? I know that they comped the women and paid for the helicopter, but I can't think of anything that is less English than a tiki bar.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 9
14 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

Marissa has been best friends with Caroline's sister, Louise, for years. I think Louise might have been in Marissa's wedding and is godmother to her kid(s). Marissa has been to Denmark and met the family. She's spent holidays with Louise. Caroline's family has only known Marissa to be reasonable and normal. That's why they were inclined to listen to Marissa's opinion of the boyfriend.

Also, Caroline's reaction to that whole thing was weird. Marissa met the boyfriend and Louise and the family hadn't so of course Louise is going to ask Marissa what he was like/thoughts. It wasn't like she called up the Baron and told him all the deets! If my close friend had met the man that my sister was prancing around town (and on a reality tv show) screaming was the love of her life I would damn well expect my best friend to give me all the details. The only person who could be perceived to be in the wrong was Louise for telling the rest of the family but that is what my family does so I can't even blame her.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 4

I absolutely loved Caroline sitting around with her stiff upper lip parentals in their country-chic English pile, sipping their tea, dissing the act of hugging as "American." 

I think Julie needs to settle down about Sophie shutting down any future talk about Caroline S. There is a lot more at stake for Sophie and her kids than there is for Lady Subway, who is truly going overboard with her 180-degree personality pivot this season.

Juliet seems miserable if she is even considering following Caroline S. to Dubai. Is she really her only friend?

• Love 2

I'm still relatively new to this show, and I had some problems with Fleming on what episodes I saw of last season.  But on this episode, I saw Fleming trying to honor her family's privacy, and being put on the spot, on camera, by Marissa.  Since Marissa knows about these past issues, and deliberately chose to put this surgery out there, it feels stealth.  

• Love 2

Juliet put all her eggs into one basket and now that basket is moving to Dubai.  She's not terribly close to any of the other women and some of them even seem to really despise her (Marissa, Adela).  I wonder if her one friend leaving town is the reason Juliet is even more insufferable this season?

Reading what others have posted about Caroline F's first marriage makes me feel sorry for her.  She wasn't/isn't obligated to stay in any relationship just to pay her family's bills.  She could have ten children out of wedlock and they should still support her, because she is their flesh and blood. 

I can see Lady Subway doing the same thing to her kids just so she can stop shilling JUB balls.  Save Mapperton!

• Love 4

This may have been my favorite episode this season. I like that we saw how some on these ladies family dynamics shaped them, well Caroline S. mostly, but also Sophie and Caroline F. Even Juliet was mildly less unpleasant because she admitted to some vulnerabilities. And Georgina for MVP this episode.

I actually felt sorry for Caroline S. (it is very stressful to keep all emotions bottled up, I know, I once was her), for Caroline F. who'll always crave something she might never get, for Sophie who's just starting to realize on camera that life as she knew it has changed, but I find her awesome and much more mature that she looked at first, so I have high hopes she'll figure out what she wants it to be from here on out. I even feel sorry for Juliet, who thinks she has to be on the offensive all the time to hide her insecurities, and that alienates her even more from the people who could genuinely be close to her if she'd let them. Adela is a star, she probably went through harder stuff than any of the others, but she still can enjoy life and is one of the most emotionally honest of the bunch. I feel for Marissa, deeply, and I admire her self awereness. Julie is the most emotionally starved of the bunch (at least Juliet has Georgina and Gregor, who both seem very grounded), and the most fragile - I don't like her new "assertiveness", because it's more neediness masquerading as confidence than real confidence, and often it comes out as if the only was she knows how to bond is to talk shit about someone else and she doesn't know of any more constructive and lasting way.      

• Love 7

Julie is the most emotionally starved of the bunch (at least Juliet has Georgina and Gregor, who both seem very grounded), and the most fragile - I don't like her new "assertiveness", because it's more neediness masquerading as confidence than real confidence, and often it comes out as if the only was she knows how to bond is to talk shit about someone else and she doesn't know of any more constructive and lasting way.      

I like this analysis of her. Every time I see her act up I picture her swearing over the phone to the Bravo execs that she is going to "earn" her spot in the cast this season. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, TheFinalRose said:

I like this analysis of her. Every time I see her act up I picture her swearing over the phone to the Bravo execs that she is going to "earn" her spot in the cast this season. 

I can totally picture that too ... and how sad is it that at least two of us can picture her grovelling to Bravo execs? (I must admit I liked her fine when she was a supporting character giggling about being related to the Sandwich name - by then, she seemed as far away from the "famewhore" label as coud be for someone on a reality show).  

I thought Julie looked very pretty with her Adela makeup, and updo.  I actually paused to make sure it was Julie.

I may have started disliking Stanbury less, but if she truly tells Adela she chose money over her children, I'm completely done with her.  It was heartbreaking when everyone in Scotland was with their husbands, and/or talking to their kids, and then we see Adela face timing her dog. 

As unpleasant as Juliet may be at times, she seems to be a wonderful mother.  I like all the scenes with her family.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

I thought Julie looked very pretty with her Adela makeup, and updo.  I actually paused to make sure it was Julie.

I may have started disliking Stanbury less, but if she truly tells Adela she chose money over her children, I'm completely done with her.  It was heartbreaking when everyone in Scotland was with their husbands, and/or talking to their kids, and then we see Adela face timing her dog. 

As unpleasant as Juliet may be at times, she seems to be a wonderful mother.  I like all the scenes with her family.

I was aghast when I saw that preview of CS and Adela. If CS really makes that accusation, I don't see how Adela could be in the same room with her, let alone film with her. Adela's situation is godawful. What could have happened that her ex wouldn't allow her even supervised visits with the children? She says that her ex has not permitted her to have any contact with the children in 2 years, and the kids are apparently ok with this. I can'take even imagine. She did remarry and divorce. I wonder what went on in the second marriage and if that had any bearing on her custody problems.

I found Juliet tolerable in this episode, which was one of the pleasanter this season, imo.

Edited by AliceGoodDay
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, AliceGoodDay said:

I was aghast when I saw that preview of CS and Adela. If CS really makes that accusation, I don't see how Adela could be in the same room with her, let alone film with her. Adela's situation is godawful. What could have happened that her ex wouldn't allow her even supervised visits with the children? She says that her ex has not permitted her to have any contact with the children in 2 years, and the kids are apparently ok with this. I can'take even imagine. She did remarry and divorce. I wonder what went on in the second marriage and if that had any bearing on her custody problems.

I found Juliet tolerable in this episode, which was one of the pleasanter this season, imo.

I don't follow the women off the show so I didn't realize she had a second husband! When she referred to the father of her children as her "first husband" I thought she was just being optimistic. Kind of made me like her even more ;)

But I don't mean to take away from her plight. She's easily my favorite lady both current and past. It seems like she's been to hell and is fighting her way back. I have oodles of respect for her and love the sense of humor. If anyone hurts her, I will cut a bitch! Also, she's a great contrast to Eden over on RHOBH and her "sober woman" shtick. Adela handles sobriety in public with grace and I truly wish her all the best.

• Love 9
14 hours ago, AliceGoodDay said:

Adela's situation is godawful. What could have happened that her ex wouldn't allow her even supervised visits with the children? She says that her ex has not permitted her to have any contact with the children in 2 years, and the kids are apparently ok with this. I can'take even imagine. She did remarry and divorce. I wonder what went on in the second marriage and if that had any bearing on her custody problems.

Adela's husband might have used her alcoholism against her.  "She's a drunk, she can't see her children."  If Adela did something like drive drunk with the kids in the car, I can see her ex husband using something like that against her. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Neurochick said:

Adela's husband might have used her alcoholism against her.  "She's a drunk, she can't see her children."  If Adela did something like drive drunk with the kids in the car, I can see her ex husband using something like that against her. 

I assumed that was the situation.  I'm not sure how it all went down, but if its true that the kids themselves don't want to see her it sounds like it was pretty bad.

She seems like a nice enough person, but drinking can really bring out a different side of people.

• Love 5

I think Fleming rebelled thus making her the black sheep. She became a model instead of going to school. She divorced her husband, hooked up with a younger man and had a baby, etc. Flem once said that the women that her father dated never liked her and that influenced his opinion of her. It's like she's a desperate child craving Daddy's attention and just wants him to love her. Her mom seemed much more down to earth. That being said, she's not perfect. She talked to the press about his health and then it's all, "Oops!" yet she never takes responsibility.

Caroline Stanbury I'm done with.  Yes, yes, we get it. You have no emotions or you don't show them. Anyone who needs to bang on about it has issues. If someone stole her Gucci handbag she's probably burst into tears. (And then buy a new one.) I think she just lacks empathy and feels uncomfortable discussing emotions/emotional situations. 

I like Adela, I think there is more to her story though. Her kids might have had to help take care of her after she passed out drunk or maybe she showed up to a school event blitzed out of her mind. Who knows. I feel bad for her, but she needs to take care of herself and heal and then her kids might want to rebuild their relationship with her.

Juliet has cute kids with British accents.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, dhilde85 said:

I think Fleming rebelled thus making her the black sheep. She became a model instead of going to school. She divorced her husband, hooked up with a younger man and had a baby, etc. Flem once said that the women that her father dated never liked her and that influenced his opinion of her. It's like she's a desperate child craving Daddy's attention and just wants him to love her. Her mom seemed much more down to earth. That being said, she's not perfect. She talked to the press about his health and then it's all, "Oops!" yet she never takes responsibility.

Caroline Stanbury I'm done with.  Yes, yes, we get it. You have no emotions or you don't show them. Anyone who needs to bang on about it has issues. If someone stole her Gucci handbag she's probably burst into tears. (And then buy a new one.) I think she just lacks empathy and feels uncomfortable discussing emotions/emotional situations. 

I like Adela, I think there is more to her story though. Her kids might have had to help take care of her after she passed out drunk or maybe she showed up to a school event blitzed out of her mind. Who knows. I feel bad for her, but she needs to take care of herself and heal and then her kids might want to rebuild their relationship with her.

Juliet has cute kids with British accents.

ITA about CF and Adela. As for CS, someone would have to pinch one of her Birkin to make her bawl.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, AliceGoodDay said:

ITA about CF and Adela. As for CS, someone would have to pinch one of her Birkin to make her bawl.

Ah, yes, you are correct- it would be a Birkin. (The closest I've ever gotten to those brands is the pages of Vogue magazine!)

• Love 1

I have never watched this show, so sorry for my ignorance about these ladies but I decided to record it when I saw the previews for Marissa.  I had a hysterectomy about a year and a half ago and the emotions and extreme sadness are desperately real.  My heart just ached for her and how the doctor had a "There, there woman." attitude!!  Is she on any hormone replacement therapy(HRT)?  If she is not, there is a real reason for her sadness and inability to bond with that sweet baby.   IT IS NOT MARISSA'S FAULT!  I have never been depressed in my life before my surgery and about 6 weeks after I fell apart. It is the scariest, toughest thing I have ever been through and only in the last 6 months have I gotten much better due to changing the type of HRT I am using and adjusting the dose.  I did all the research and my gynos(yes there were a few!)had no clue how to treat me, as they think HRT is a one stop shop for all women.  Uh, it's not. I have a gyno that is clueless about my HRT but at least she prescribes it and lets me do the adjusting. I know my body better than anyone.  The medical community is clueless when it comes to surgical menopause, clueless!  What were the circumstances of her emergency hysterectomy?  Did she also have her ovaries removed?  

Sorry but this stuff hits so close to home for me and I hate to see any woman suffer and have to go through it alone.  Get her some freakin estrogen as it looks as though her body is not making enough of it!!! 

• Love 7
49 minutes ago, raiderred1 said:

I have never watched this show, so sorry for my ignorance about these ladies but I decided to record it when I saw the previews for Marissa.  I had a hysterectomy about a year and a half ago and the emotions and extreme sadness are desperately real.  My heart just ached for her and how the doctor had a "There, there woman." attitude!!  Is she on any hormone replacement therapy(HRT)?  If she is not, there is a real reason for her sadness and inability to bond with that sweet baby.   IT IS NOT MARISSA'S FAULT!  I have never been depressed in my life before my surgery and about 6 weeks after I fell apart. It is the scariest, toughest thing I have ever been through and only in the last 6 months have I gotten much better due to changing the type of HRT I am using and adjusting the dose.  I did all the research and my gynos(yes there were a few!)had no clue how to treat me, as they think HRT is a one stop shop for all women.  Uh, it's not. I have a gyno that is clueless about my HRT but at least she prescribes it and lets me do the adjusting. I know my body better than anyone.  The medical community is clueless when it comes to surgical menopause, clueless!  What were the circumstances of her emergency hysterectomy?  Did she also have her ovaries removed?  

Sorry but this stuff hits so close to home for me and I hate to see any woman suffer and have to go through it alone.  Get her some freakin estrogen as it looks as though her body is not making enough of it!!! 

They didn't remove Marissa's ovaries, so she shouldn't need any HRT.  Still, she's been through emotional and physical hell and her hormones are still haywire from just having had a baby.  I don't think anyone is blaming her.  I agree, her doctor seemed dismissive of her complaints.  I hope they had a more in depth conversation, privately, when the cameras weren't rolling.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, SweetieDarling said:

They didn't remove Marissa's ovaries, so she shouldn't need any HRT.  Still, she's been through emotional and physical hell and her hormones are still haywire from just having had a baby.  I don't think anyone is blaming her.  I agree, her doctor seemed dismissive of her complaints.  I hope they had a more in depth conversation, privately, when the cameras weren't rolling.

Thank you SWEETIEDARLING!  I'm glad they didn't have to remove her ovaries and yes all the hormone upheaval from just having a baby is enough. Wowza!  I hope her ovaries kick back in soon as sometimes they get shocked from a partial hysterectomy and go off line for a while or in some cases they never come back.  Did she have uterine cancer? Cervical cancer? Fibroids? Cysts? Why did they have to do a hysterectomy?  Sorry for so many questions.  Thanks again for the information! <wave> 

BTW, I didn't mean to implied that anyone was blaming her because I have never watched this show before but I wanted to stress how hard a hysterectomy can hit some women even when their ovaries are kept intact. 

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, raiderred1 said:

Thank you SWEETIEDARLING!  I'm glad they didn't have to remove her ovaries and yes all the hormone upheaval from just having a baby is enough. Wowza!  I hope her ovaries kick back in soon as sometimes they get shocked from a partial hysterectomy and go off line for a while or in some cases they never come back.  Did she have uterine cancer? Cervical cancer? Fibroids? Cysts? Why did they have to do a hysterectomy?  Sorry for so many questions.  Thanks again for the information! <wave> 

BTW, I didn't mean to implied that anyone was blaming her because I have never watched this show before but I wanted to stress how hard a hysterectomy can hit some women even when their ovaries are kept intact. 

She had placenta acreta.  It's described as a condition where blood vessels in the placenta as well as parts of the placenta grow too deeply into the uterine wall.  She was on bed rest for, what sounds like, her entire pregnancy, and ran the risk of hemorrhaging to death during delivery.  That's why she had a scheduled c-section and they had to remove her uterus.  She did say she lost A LOT of blood during the procedure. 

She did seem truly affected by the fact that another pregnancy was not going to be an option.  I can definitely see how that would be like mourning a loss.  She has 3 beautiful, healthy kids and an incredibly loving and supportive husband to help her through this... and when the baby starts to smile at her...I think (hope) she'll be ok.  I give her credit to be able to look objectively at herself and her feelings to realize what she's going through and that she needed to talk to her MD about it.  Let's just hope he got a bad edit.

• Love 2
On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 2:58 PM, Writing Wrongs said:

When they showed that flashback of Marissa talking about the UK Citizenship test, it made me go looking and I found this fun one:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/play/quizzes/can-you-pass-uk-citizenship-7108104

I only got 11 out of 24.

14, and I've never been to Britain.  How would I know about the education act of 1944???  Shocked at the number of people on a jury in Scotland.

On January 31, 2017 at 2:09 PM, Mrs peel said:

14, and I've never been to Britain.  How would I know about the education act of 1944???  Shocked at the number of people on a jury in Scotland.

I got 7 right. Shockingly, i got the Scottish jury question correct 

• Love 2