Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: The Choice

• Start Topic

I thoroughly enjoyed the battle scene with Ecbert and Aella's cavalry running over the vikings.  I was cheering them on, too bad about Rollo though.  The interesting thing about King Horik is that he has a title, but no power.  He is a less significant person than Rangar or Lagertha.    Even his son has less promise than Bjorn Ironside. 

• Love 1

Haha I get that but imo it's Ragnar who ultimately destroyed his first family.

Oh I didn't mean to suggest that Ragnar, horndog that he is, wasn't equally responsible for destroying his family.  I'm just saying that Aslaug contributed as well and for that reason I still don't like her or trust her.

• Love 1

Oh I didn't mean to suggest that Ragnar, horndog that he is, wasn't equally responsible for destroying his family.  I'm just saying that Aslaug contributed as well and for that reason I still don't like her or trust her.

I think most of us are Team Ragnertha I do think this is another thing where you kinda have to look at it thru the lens of time and position.  Once Ragnar was an Earl he has all of Kattegat to think about and he needs a couple of sons (heir and the spare).  Consider that last summer the UK was just getting around to declaring that had the Royal Baby been a girl she would have been next in line.  The whole crazy mess of Henry VIII was to avoid questions of succession. 

The whole mindset has fallen our of favor here it was a reality not so long ago. 

Ragnar strayed but early in season one conversations between Lagertha and Ragnar implied there marriage was more open, beyond inviting Althelstan.  The divorce between the two is much more civilized than the times would have allowed.  Aslaug was providing more children and subsequently provided three more healthy sons, which I think is part of the reason she can't figure out why people don't like her more.

I do think this is another thing where you kinda have to look at it thru the lens of time and position.

Sure, I understand that as well.  However, it doesn't make me like Aslaug though. 

I can just see her now, trying to explain to Lagertha:  "Well, you see, in my prophecies, I was supposed to have sex with your husband to produce the sons that you couldn't give him.  You must accept the will of the gods."   Lagertha:  "Bullshit!"

• Love 5

Sure, I understand that as well.  However, it doesn't make me like Aslaug though. 

I can just see her now, trying to explain to Lagertha:  "Well, you see, in my prophecies, I was supposed to have sex with your husband to produce the sons that you couldn't give him.  You must accept the will of the gods."   Lagertha:  "Bullshit!"

Well look at the silver lining : .if Lagertha hadn't left Ragnar she wouldn't have had the opportunity to be the even more formidable woman she became... so yeah she can give a high five to Aslaug saying "You do you girl, have them more sons, I'm doing fine with my badass eldest Björn and my powerful position... Bye!"

• Love 2

Princess Kwenyrith bugs me on so many levels.

Yay, Athelstan is back with the vikings! I was disappointed that there wasn't more warmth between him and Lagertha though. I thought there'd be at least a subtle little sign that she was happy to see him again or something. Even a small smile would've been nice.

Bjorn's chick reminds me of someone. I just can't place who. I feel like it's some 90s actress, but it's just not coming to me.

Can Floki and Horik just die already?

I feel like the show is trying to manipulate me into liking Aslaug. I don't like it when shows do that to me. It just makes me go in the opposite direction.

Bjorn's girl reminds me of Princess Buttercup.

• Love 1

I think most of us are Team Ragnertha I do think this is another thing where you kinda have to look at it thru the lens of time and position.  Once Ragnar was an Earl he has all of Kattegat to think about and he needs a couple of sons (heir and the spare). 

[snip]

Ragnar strayed but early in season one conversations between Lagertha and Ragnar implied there marriage was more open, beyond inviting Althelstan.  The divorce between the two is much more civilized than the times would have allowed.  Aslaug was providing more children and subsequently provided three more healthy sons, which I think is part of the reason she can't figure out why people don't like her more.

I have a feeling it was 1) Ragnar not telling Lagertha straight up when he got back after schtupping Aslaug and 2) using that boneheaded, "I love you both! So you two can get along like sisters and it'll be great!" line.  Playing around with a third cutie like Athelstan, who as a "slave" to the family (I use quotes because Ragnar gave him much more leeway than most slaves would get) has an established position not threatening either, is completely different from trying to add a second wife to the household (who, because she puts out sons, could become more valuable as a wife and gain access to more property, etc).

I think that if he explained it primarily as a way to ensure enough sons to take care of Kattegat but that Lagertha was still his real wife, it wouldn't have been so insulting to her.

I actually like Aslaug at first - she was witty and open because she had prophecies. I've known some people IRL who had vibes or even prescience and it's fascinating to see how they talk about decisions.  Sometimes our gut feeling manifests as those, so I feel it's just another way to talk about something that can't be described well.  But from the time she arrived at Kattegat, she had a constant smug look on her face (probably the princess default) that didn't help matters.

Then again, as was mentioned, if these people hadn't acted in their flawed ways, we wouldn't have Earl Lagertha now.  I just wish Lagertha could get some sexy fun times with hot Viking guys since she's more than earned it.  Elsewhere, I saw "Lagertha, 5: Rapists, 0".

• Love 2

The arc of Ragnar and Athelstan has been interesting...given the violent battle scenes it's a little surprising that I am kinda rooting for Ragnar and Athelstan to hook up or live in some polyamourous compound with Lagertha and maybe Ecbert?

Exactly this! I wanted Athelstan to have goodbye sex with Ecbert and God I've missed you sex with Ragnar. I love Lagertha and have wanted a reunion with her and Ragnar but his chemistry with Athelstan is stronger.

Fascinating. I wonder if the writers intended this or just went with it based on the actors chemistry.

Anyone know where I can find some fan fic with Ragnar / Athestan / Ecbert action?