Type keyword(s) to search

S23.E07: X Marks the Spot

The problem with Marissa is that she's a very immature person with a big mouth. Everything that Stacy was telling her went in one ear and out the other. I'm pretty sure that what the judges told her also had the same effect. She wasn't crying backstage because she felt bad about her attitude, but rather, because she knew she was on the chopping block.

I don't think it's a big surprise that Kyle went home. She lost steam as the completion went on and didn't seem to be improving much.

From the videos, my favorite was Paige. I think she should've been called first over India, but good for India because she did improve from last week.

• Love 6

I'm not surprised at all that Kyle went home. I think she was more interested in getting laid than learning how to be a model. 

I hope Marissa learned her lesson. You don't argue and back talk to the people who are trying to help you! 

• Love 3

They need to tell Courtney to stop the self-deprecation. Either it comes off as false modesty, or it subliminally convinces the judges that she should be cut.

It was a good call that Marissa's pretty enough she's used to getting away with poor behavior (I'd say a few of the women have that attitude). But she's in NYC with thousands of good looking girls, and she's not so unique or gorgeous or socially-connected that she can have that attitude in such a cutthroat business.

• Love 12

Both Paige and India were terrific, although I did laugh at Law saying Paige looks like she's selling backpacks and pencils lol

Tatiana really does have the complete package. I could see them three plus Courtney as the final four.

Overall a pretty satisfying episode. Considering Kyle was recruited, I thought she did pretty well and hope that she was able to remove her Stockholm Syndrome feelings for Marissa as soon as she left.

• Love 4

OMG that video of Kyle is worse than her hilarious challenge photo last week. I laughed like a hyena whenever they showed her stiffness stomping around.

I would say this panel of judges is much better at picking who to eliminate than Tyra and her group ever did.

How much of a sweetheart is India? I smile whenever she is on screen. Paige's personality is lovely too. 

Edited by waving feather
  • Love 5

Binta, Binta, Binta.  I think there must be a language challenge because she insisted in her talking head that she was "high energy" and didn't understand why they kept telling her to be more high energy.  

Agree that Marissa's looks have let her get away with a lot growing up, but this is the fashion world (or the reality tv version thereof) and you're just another pretty face.

Paige seemed so earnest in her talking heads.  I like her and India.  And I like Tatiana... especially when she lets her hair go curly.  

Edited by DEL901
  • Love 3

I think Paige has a good look and probably will win.  She's blonde and the modeling world isn't exactly into diversity these days.  It seems that they'd rather do this shit to a white model, rather than use an actual black model. 

I am glad that they spoke to Marissa.  She's pretty and maybe that got her very far, but she's in a world where pretty girls are a dime a dozen and there will come a time when she's not so young and cute and won't be able to get away with bad behavior. 

Edited by Neurochick

I agree that these judges seem to do a better job than Tyra's crew. I feel like they are judging more on modelling. I can't disagree with anyone they have sent home yet.

My current top three are India, Tatiana and Paige. It's nice that the three who seem like the best people are also the best models.

Courtney actually said that nearly all lipstick/chapstick?(it looked like a tube of burts bees to me) has almond extract in it but she didn't think to mention she had an almond allergy before having it put on  her face? WTF you stupid idiot! Stop making up excuses and stop complaining! Ugh, I try to like her, really I do, she has, as they said, an Italian Vogue look, but my god she makes it impossible to root for her.

Marissa, OTOH, has no modelling potential. She's a pretty girl with a bad attitude. She's a mall model at best.

I'm glad Kyle has been put out of my misery. Really, it was getting painful watching her moon over stupid, average Marissa.

• Love 9

Can I just say that I love Law Roach?   We're usually in lockstep with our opinions and he pulls no punches bringing those heffas down a peg or two.  

Stacey McKenzie--now that's a Boss and a Brand. 

Why did they cover poor Binta's face?!  As soon as I saw the rope jumpers, I thought it would be a cool shot if one of the models tried joining the game.  Then Binta tried it and it was cringeworthy.  Oh well.

India is so friggin' cute...purple tresses and all.

• Love 5

Marissa is not even that pretty to me comparing to the others in the competition. Even in the real world, face-wise she is just OK. OK face with a good figure.

I had the same thought. She's cute at best. I might have a different opinion if she had a pleasant attitude, but she's been working my nerves for a minute. She should've been cut the minute she sassed Stacey. 

• Love 7
7 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I think Paige has a good look and probably will win.  She's blonde and the modeling world isn't exactly into diversity these days.  It seems that they'd rather do this shit to a white model, rather than use an actual black model. 

I am glad that they spoke to Marissa.  She's pretty and maybe that got her very far, but she's in a world where pretty girls are a dime a dozen and there will come a time when she's not so young and cute and won't be able to get away with bad behavior. 

My spidey sense says that Paige probably won't win.  I'll be surprised if she gets to top three.  She's done well and has a nice personality but I just don't see her being in the final three much less the winner based on her call-outs.

Not sorry to see Kyle go as she was never a favorite but I'd have been totally fine with a double-elim.  Marissa is pretty and has done okay on most shoots but between the challenge, video shoot and talking back to Stacey, she totally showed this episode what a brat she is.

I can't with Courtney.  It's always something with her.

I wonder if Binta's problem might have to do with English not being her first language?  Sometimes, I think she's just not understanding things or when she shouts it's because she's frustrated and can't find a better way to explain herself.

• Love 5
25 minutes ago, milkyaqua said:

... I wonder if Binta's problem might have to do with English not being her first language?  Sometimes, I think she's just not understanding things or when she shouts it's because she's frustrated and can't find a better way to explain herself.

SO THIS ! (I thought the same, but didn't know how to explain... You did it. Thanks.)

• Love 1

Marissa can go anytime, her attitude sucks and I'm glad Stacy and panel told her what a brat she was. India, Paige and Tatiana are my top three. During the whole closet argument in the beginning, did it feel like they sicced Marissa on Binta because they knew she would give her attitude?

• Love 3

I also would have cheered a double elimination this week, but I think Marissa will be gone in the next week or two.

I think Binta is confusing high energy with high maintenance.

Can Stacey stick around?  She should be at every photo shoot as the model coach.  And Ashley can take over as host/lead judge.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, Lesia said:

Marissa reminds me of Mercedes, who lost in season 2 to Yoanna.  Meh.  Definitely not top model material.  Nothing unique about her.

Aww, I actually loved Mercedes. She was definitely a better model than Marissa and had a much better attitude.

• Love 5

I hope Marissa learned her lesson. You don't argue and back talk to the people who are trying to help you!

Even if they're not trying to help you, you don't do that. Not in that industry.  As for learning her lesson...doubtful. I can't help but think that by the time she got home that night, she'd already made up in her mind that the judges are just being fake for tv and they don't recognize real talent when they see it.

Then again, she is a student of reality tv. Maybe she'll pull it together. Will this be the beginning of Marissa's redemption arc? Or the beginning of the end? I feel sort of bad for hoping she'll go down in flames. It would be good for her though.

Binta, Binta, Binta.  I think there must be a language challenge because she insisted in her talking head that she was "high energy" and didn't understand why they kept telling her to be more high energy.  

And she couldn't have said it with LESS energy if she tried.

Courtney actually said that nearly all lipstick/chapstick?(it looked like a tube of burts bees to me) has almond extract in it but she didn't think to mention she had an almond allergy before having it put on  her face? WTF you stupid idiot!

Maybe she was trying to listen to advice and not be a complainer and it backfired on her.

Marissa reminds me of Mercedes, who lost in season 2 to Yoanna.  Meh.  Definitely not top model material.

They do have a similar look but Mercedes, if I recall, was charming and adorable, and it took her far in the competition.

• Love 3

I don't think Marissa is that pretty, either, but then I am heavily influenced by how someone's personality can impact their looks. I'm from South Texas and there are a LOT - tons even - beautiful girls there of hispanic descent who are just as cute/ pretty/ beautiful/ however you want to label it. She's not that special and by the time you factor in her immature, stinky attitude, she becomes just slightly above average for me. Yes, I do realize she's only 18, but I personally don't think she'd be that much different if she was even 10 years older. And I've met some pretty grounded, polite and nice teenagers, so it's not just her age.

Really liked Kyle at the start, but was ready for her to leave. I agree with whomever said she was more interesting in getting laid than having a modeling career.

I like India, Paige and Tatiana as well. Which probably means none of them will win.

Hope Marissa leaves next with Courtney not far behind her.

• Love 4

I totally read the thought bubble above Marissa's head when she was being chastised by Stacey. "Bitch?  I am ten times hotter than you!  How did you ever get to be a model anyway?? Whatevs!!" Marissa's disdain was palpable.

• Love 8

I am totally not surprised that they put both Kyle and Marissa in the bottom 2, and eliminated Kyle, after wringing all that drama out of their little "sapphic" fling during the last episode.

I think Marissa looks like a mix of Fo (from the petite cycle) and Mercedes. She definitely needs an attitude adjustment though.

On another note, Director X is surprisingly hot, and he can mark my spot anytime he wants.

Edited by Mattipoo
  • Love 5

I don't think Binta understands what playful means.

I think Marissa was being a little snotbag, but I can't stand Stacey MacKenzie either.  She's incredibly arrogant for someone who most people probably never heard of until she was on ANTM.  Even now, I don't really know who or particularly care about her.  I don't think she's as good as her super-sized ego thinks she is.  23 years in this business!  Who cares.

Bye Kyle.  You sucked.  That move you constantly do, where you fling your head back?  Never do that again.

• Love 3

Yes, I do realize she's only 18, but I personally don't think she'd be that much different if she was even 10 years older. And I've met some pretty grounded, polite and nice teenagers, so it's not just her age.

I raised an eyebrow when Rita was attributing Marissa's behavior to her age. Being young doesn't make you an a-hole. And although it's not uncommon for teenagers to exhibit a defiant attitude, I imagine most would not behave the way Marissa did under similar circumstances (in a competition, where they're doing something they WANT to do. i.e. working with well known people in an industry that it's #lifegoals to break into.)

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Mattipoo said:

I think Marissa looks like a mix of Fo (from the petite cycle) and Mercedes. She definitely needs an attitude adjustment though.

Fo wasn't from the "short" cycle, cycle thirteen.  She was from cycle twelve, the cycle before that.  It was Fo who inspired the "short" cycle, though, due to her height.

• Love 1

Marissa annoys me to high heaven. She seems to not care at all about the process and just hoping to become a "celebrity  TV" persona. I'd say if charisma, personality and looks are needed, she's not compelling in any aspect, but she still acts as if she had nailed four out of three. She's probaby the only one I want to see taken down a few pegs when eliminated. 

Advertisers who watch: Marissa selling something means me not buying.   

• Love 3
On 1/24/2017 at 11:30 PM, sleepyjean said:

As for learning her lesson...doubtful. I can't help but think that by the time she got home that night, she'd already made up in her mind that the judges are just being fake for tv and they don't recognize real talent when they see it.

I doubt she learned her lesson... as evidenced by her ridiculously passive-aggressive meltdown in the stew room. This is what I heard:

"(sob) Well, ladies it's been real. Looks like standing up for myself is going to send me home. I know I have clashed with many of you here... For that all I can say is "whatevs". (sob) You all know I can't keep quiet when someone is attacking me. I thought they would see how fabulous I am... But, nooo! Now I'm going home... and my dream is over thanks to that ugly old  hag Stacy! (sob)".

It didn't register to her at all that her performance was horrible, on top of her stank attitude. She's been told she's special, beautiful and fabulous her whole life. Even the judges have bathed her with nothing but superlatives. So, she can't handle criticism... or someone who has a personality (and attitude) bigger than her own -- which Stacy does.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, MelinaBallerina said:

And made it a lot darker than the original color.

It was definitely much bolder than her original makeover. I loved her first shades of purples and pinks, the new ones are a little too much for me - but maybe they went with more color this time hoping it'll stay around a bit longer and they won't have to redye it so frequently. 

• Love 2

I keep going back to the fact that a VH1 contract is part of this deal. I imagine the folks at VH1 watching Marissa strut around in her ignorance, convinced that she knows it all and completely torpedoing her shoot. I imagine them thinking about what it would be like to work with her for an entire year. I think Marissa has ruined her shot at this.

• Love 1

Well, hello, Real Marissa.  Nice to see you show your true face.  Not.

Seriously.  Stacy had her pegged, for sure.  While her confessional about her was a bit haughty, it was clearly given after Marissa had been a brat to her, so I can't blame her one bit for being heated during it.

And yeah.  Like many of you, I wish Kyle had been spared just one more week to send Marissa packing.  Young or not, she's got an attitude that's just not gonna fly in the modeling/fashion industry.  Her laughing at Courtney when she legitimately had an allergic reaction made me want to punch my screen.  And I don't even like Courtney the way I did anymore.

The judges smacking her down at panel was just what she needed.  I hope she learns her lesson, but she might not.

The right four girls were the top four this week.  India, Paige, Coryanne, and Tatiana all really delivered.  If they're the F4, I'll be happy.

This week screwed Marissa, so I don't see how much longer she lasts.  I have a feeling that Binta and Courtney are running out of time, as well.  Cody might outlast those three, but I think she's inferior to India, Paige, Coryanne, and Tatiana.  By all rights, she should go out in fifth behind them all.

Best episode so far, I'd say.  Hoping for more good stuff next week.:)

• Love 3
On 1/24/2017 at 8:01 PM, Jobiska said:

I've got mixed feelings about Binta, but that fringed turban monstrosity was downright cruel.  

How did they think she could rock that? It was as dark as her skin and obscured her eyes. There was no way she could make that shit work for her.

• Love 3
23 hours ago, sleepyjean said:

I keep going back to the fact that a VH1 contract is part of this deal. I imagine the folks at VH1 watching Marissa strut around in her ignorance, convinced that she knows it all and completely torpedoing her shoot. I imagine them thinking about what it would be like to work with her for an entire year. I think Marissa has ruined her shot at this.

I don't know, i think Marissa is willing to do anything for camera time, has a trigger temper and an absurdly high opinion of herself.....she may be a perfect fit for a vh1 reality show.

• Love 3

Paige is such a sweetheart.

I can't really blame other girls ignoring Courtney after she sucked through her shoot, but it was such a tribute to Paige's character that she went and tried to comfort her. Such a genuine and caring girl.

• Love 5
On 1/31/2017 at 1:38 AM, dleighg said:

I hate to be mean, but I cannot understand how Stacey McKenzie ever made it as a supermodel. I don't see the appeal in any way whatsoever. 

I think she owes a lot to Jean-Paul Gaultier, who at the time he picked her (and probably still today) used to choose people who did not have a standard model looks. He not only went over the usual beauty canons, he also cast elderly people (in their 70s or so), and within the typical model-age pool, he went for the most unusual looks, so that's how Stacey fits here. I only know her because of her Gaultier work, but the visibility that brought her probably opened other doors for her. Remember, that was a time when for a model the most unusual the look, the better the chance of doing runways, high fashion spreads, etc.   

• Love 2