Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
maraleia

History Talk: The Victorian Era

14 hours ago, jumper sage said:

I have had the book Queen Victoria's Mysterious Daughter on my reading list for some time and finally checked it out.  It is about her daughter Louise and she was born during all the hullaballoo in this season.  The show made it look like she was born on the very night they left for Osborne House but she was, in reality, 6 months old.  I am finding the book fascinating.  Apparently all records of this daughter have been collected and sealed.  She lived in Canada while her husband was a higher up in the government.  None of the records from Canada have survived as they were all collected and sealed in UK.  Louise was a sculptress and thought of as not very pretty by her mother.  The book goes into the time of the age and how Victoria, as we all know, was an unfeeling mother.  The children got on much better with Albert.

Louise is an interesting case.  An accomplished artist, including works on paper and sculpture, she supported the suffragist movement and was considered a feminist.  For example, she visited the first women to qualify as a physician in England.  She had a somewhat contentious relationship with the 2 sisters closest to her in age (Helena and Beatrice).  She did not want to marry a foreign prince, and instead married the Marquess of Lorne, the future Duke or Argyll.  They never had children, and there were rumors that he was gay.  They led increasingly separate lives, but she nursed him through his final illness and then had a nervous breakdown after his death in 1914.  She lived to be almost 92, dying in 1939.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Calvada said:

Louise is an interesting case.  An accomplished artist, including works on paper and sculpture, she supported the suffragist movement and was considered a feminist.  For example, she visited the first women to qualify as a physician in England.  She had a somewhat contentious relationship with the 2 sisters closest to her in age (Helena and Beatrice).  She did not want to marry a foreign prince, and instead married the Marquess of Lorne, the future Duke or Argyll.  They never had children, and there were rumors that he was gay.  They led increasingly separate lives, but she nursed him through his final illness and then had a nervous breakdown after his death in 1914.  She lived to be almost 92, dying in 1939.

Was it Louise that sculpted the statue of of Victoria that is in front of Kensington Palace? Aren’t there also rumors that she had a child out of wedlock with one of her brother’s tutors and Victoria covered it up?

• Like 1

Ugh, found this at the PBS website:

Prince Albert Edward Wettin (1841-1910)
Prince Albert became King Edward VII in 1901. He took the family name of his father, Prince Albert, and hence on his coronation the monarchy moved from the House of Hanover to the House of Wettin.

WTF?  How hard is it to do basic research and confirm that Albert's house was Saxe-Coburg and Gotha?

• Surprise 1

4 hours ago, Nolefan said:

Was it Louise that sculpted the statue of of Victoria that is in front of Kensington Palace? Aren’t there also rumors that she had a child out of wedlock with one of her brother’s tutors and Victoria covered it up?

Yes to both  of these.  Someone wrote a book about Louise, or about Victoria's daughters, and they had all this circumstantial evidence that she had a child with her brother's tutor when she was 18.  

They are really taking liberties with history!  Half of this stuff is made up.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, jumper sage said:

They are really taking liberties with history!  Half of this stuff is made up.

Including the Duke of Monmouth!  Though, I admit, it would have been interesting to see Victoria treat him the same way the one and only Duke was treated. 😜

• Laugh 3

On 3/2/2019 at 10:58 PM, Brn2bwild said:

Ugh, found this at the PBS website:

WTF?  How hard is it to do basic research and confirm that Albert's house was Saxe-Coburg and Gotha?

Wetten was the "house" of many of the north German dukedoms, including Hanover and Coburg.

3 hours ago, Notwisconsin said:

Wetten was the "house" of many of the north German dukedoms, including Hanover and Coburg.

True, but it had not been called Wettin for centuries.  The house at the time was known as Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (or more colloquially, Coburg).

• Like 1

it is so amazing that queen Elizabeth II had the chance to know queen Victoria's children! so many years ago, they had been born 2 centuries ago and she knew them 😄 I am very curious if they had talked about their mother, how she was in everyday life, queen Elizabeth was a teenager then but maybe she was curious like me 😛 maybe she talked about it in some media but I didn't find anything about it on the internet, do you know something about it? 🙂 sorry for some grammar mistakes but english is not my first language 😛

• Like 5

3 hours ago, arvene88 said:

it is so amazing that Queen Elizabeth II had the chance to know Queen Victoria's children! so many years ago, they had been born 2 centuries ago and she knew them!

No, they had been born 160 years ago and HM is nearly a century old herself (her hubby is 97). It's not that amazing at all. When I visited Britain as a kid, there were still coins with her face on it in circulation.

• Like 2

re Princess Louise, wasn't she considered the beauty of the girls? The rumor was that she had a passionate love affair with an artist, and I think that most certainly her husband was gay, but that gave her the freedom to pursue her art instead of being constantly pregnant. As for the business of Victoria saving the Duchess from the loony bin our Vickie is turning out to be a real Mary Sue eh?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LiveenLetLive said:

re Princess Louise, wasn't she considered the beauty of the girls? The rumor was that she had a passionate love affair with an artist, and I think that most certainly her husband was gay, but that gave her the freedom to pursue her art instead of being constantly pregnant. As for the business of Victoria saving the Duchess from the loony bin our Vickie is turning out to be a real Mary Sue eh?

She is one of the most aggressively Mary Sue-ish characters I've come across in something that wasn't fan fiction. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 2

Happy 200th birthday, Victoria!  "Jeopardy!" celebrated with a category about you.

• Like 1

The NYT had an extremely lame crossword puzzle that had QV as the main across clue and then one even lamer secondary clue. And that's it! Rex Parker was rightly enraged by the "tribute." (You might have to scroll for the 5/24 entry.)