Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E10: And the Wrath of Chaos

On 1/27/2017 at 0:10 PM, ChelseaNH said:

How do you ask somebody to do that?  "I need someone to die to save the world.  I don't want to do it myself but I was hoping you would.  How about it?"

I guess I am the only one who watched WGN Salem.

Spoiler

Little John and Anne Hale asked Cotton Mathews to do just that.  Sacrifice himself to save the town from in eternal hellfire.  He did it for complicated reasons that included the woman he loved (not his wife) and his unborn child.  Plus guilt and redemption played a part.

You ask the right person under the right circumstances and they will sacrifice themselves.  Human nature is both cruel and kind in equal measure.

which is also why I buy Flynn being willing to sacrifice himself.  He has been Librarian longer then most.  He is tired and he is also starting to see the others as not only his equal but his family.  Someone like him who has been alone for so long wouldn't even consider sacrificing someone else.  For Flynn sacrificing himself is a show of love.  Screwed up as it may be.

Edited by Chaos Theory
Put part of my post in spoiler tags because they should have been there.
  • Love 2
On 1/27/2017 at 2:55 PM, LoneHaranguer said:

You find an excuse to draw them into whatever's going on, and rely on them stepping up when the time comes

If you're not willing to step up yourself, how can you assume someone else will?  Flynn wasn't willing to pass the buck.  I don't look at that decision and think "what an idiot."  To me, that decision is what makes someone a hero.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, ganesh said:

Didn't he say in this episode that he was the longest serving Librarian?

Not sure if he said he was the longest or one of them.  It's possible both are true.  I think Judson was a Librarian and Charlene was his Guardian so there is that.  

I agree with the consensus here, this episode seemed rather rushed, with all the DOSA stuff and Eves relationship with Vanessa Williams and her plan with Flynn just happening all at once, mixed with the evil God and Flynn's attempted sacrifice and everything. This really would have been served better as a two part episode. That all being said, I like what they did with what they had, and I really liked how they figured out how to beat the bad guy. This show works best as an ensemble, and I love how they used all the different things they've picked up throughout the season.

Cass, Stone and Ezekiel getting to work together and try to be stupid was hilarious, and I love their enthusiastic reactions to getting a new case. For an episode with a lot of Flynn, they did get a lot to do, so that made me happy. I really love the whole ensemble, they have really come into their own as characters. Although, I was actually alright with Flynn in this episode. I didn't really think they were going to kill him off (that would be pretty dark for a show that usually stays pretty light), but it was looking like they might actually go there for a minute there.

Jenkins is usually such a lovable grump, it was really disconcerting to see him grabbing Eve by the throat and threatening to strangle Eve. It reminds the audience that, oh yeah, he's an immortal badass soldier and guardian of the library. Don't screw with Jenkins yall.

I am glad that DOSA lady came around and decided to let the librarians do their thing. It seemed like they had their hearts in the right place, but were clearly unaware of what they were doing. Sticking government sanctions on magic just seems like a mess in the making. I would be interested to see if the librarians actually try to work with the government from time to time, or if DOSA asks them for help at some point.

I thought this season had a few meh episodes, and a bit too much Flynn, but it was mostly a really fun season with a lot of good episodes (the clown episode and the frost giant reunion are  some of my favorites in the series run) and a decent season long plot. I`ll really miss this show during the hiatus.

• Love 1
On 1/23/2017 at 10:42 AM, Skyfall said:

Which isn't a bad thing. Each season has its own ark and it gets wrapped up and they move to the next arc the next season.

It's actually a great thing.  Giving viewers closure each season protects the integrity of the show should it not be picked up.  I loathe cliffhangers.  They don't make me eager for the next season.

• Love 6
On 1/22/2017 at 6:14 PM, BooksRule said:

And that chamber in the catacombs looked like the Cerebro chamber from the 'X-Men' movies.  Coincidence, or was that done on purpose?

I can't imagine it was done accidentally - the Cerebro chamber is pretty iconic, visually.

On 1/26/2017 at 4:33 PM, LoneHaranguer said:

He really couldn't think of where he could find somebody in the world who would be willing to sacrifice themselves to save the world? Holy man? Somebody at death's door? I didn't hear anyone say the person had to belong to the Library. 

His character has always been (so far as I can recall) one who relies only on himself, and not others - it's been his struggle with the other librarians all along.  And, a decent enough guy who wouldn't ask someone else to take the sacrifice. Besides, how was he going to have a stand in at the ready when it finally came down? I must say, though, I was surprised that they turned Apep into a "real" person and then it was "okay, now that you're a real live boy, DIE MF". Justified (and satisfying), I know, but darker than I expected.

On 1/30/2017 at 8:15 AM, tennisgurl said:

Cass, Stone and Ezekiel getting to work together and try to be stupid was hilarious, and I love their enthusiastic reactions to getting a new case.

I liked it too, but it was my sense that they over exaggerated their enthusiasm, because it allow them to get away from Flynn's story.

On 2/28/2017 at 11:19 PM, johntfs said:

He was creepy as hell as Joey Heric on The Practice.

I remember that. He somehow managed to ooze charm and menace at the same time. Like at any moment he could throw you down and either kiss you or slit your throat. Actually, if I recall Joey right, he would probably do both.

A far cry from goofy Dan Fielding.

Edited by KirkB
  • Love 1

I only recently caught up on the series and I agree with all the points made. My only problem was the slapdash approach to  Eve and the General and how they supposedly orchestrated Eve becoming the Guardian.  It was implied they set up the meeting between Eve and Flynn and her getting the invitation but that makes no sense. How would they know that the Library chooses a Guardian and that it would choose Eve of all people?

• Love 1