Type keyword(s) to search

The Voice in the Media

• Start Topic

(edited)

While I'm as giddy as a schoolgirl that Adam's not coming back, and we're finally free of the Adam v Blake Schtick?

I am so not looking forward to the lovebirds pretend to fight it out.

I was HAPPY when Gwen quit. 

She is not a viable replacement. They need a rocker dude. The Voice is a good gig for entertainers/performers who need a bit of a rest.

Hmmm....maybe they had no choice? Adam quit so suddenly they had no time to get another host/do up another contract/kiss a rocker's ass and promise him the world to get him on the show? So Blake begged his honey bun to do it?

Edited by hnygrl
  • Love 2

It is sounding more like it was a mutual decision.  NBC head guys were angry with Adam's recent actions in front of advertisers who pay his $26 mil salary.  Adam had become difficult.    Paul Telegdy  (co- chairman of NBC) wanted Adam fired.  He had to be talked out of it.  

• Love 4
3 hours ago, LakeGal said:

It is sounding more like it was a mutual decision.  NBC head guys were angry with Adam's recent actions in front of advertisers who pay his $26 mil salary.  Adam had become difficult.    Paul Telegdy  (co- chairman of NBC) wanted Adam fired.  He had to be talked out of it.  

Did you read that somewhere? I’ve been seeing PR crafted reports that it was his decision but I find it telling both Blake and  Kelly made it clear they found out the day before the announcement which doesn’t sound like Adam resigning to me. 

• Love 4
(edited)
26 minutes ago, Dots And Stripes said:

Petulant asshole.  

Adam Levine to Depart NBC’s ‘The Voice’ After 16 Seasons

Probably couldn't hack being a disliked asshole in two shows at once.

Levine will have plenty to keep him occupied in the meantime. Maroon 5, which headlined Super Bowl LIII in February, will be on tour in Europe through August. Levine has also signed on as Executive Producer of NBC’s upcoming reality competition Songland, which premieres May 28th.

Edited by observer

Leaving the easiest gig on tv and its $26 million salary sure doesn’t sound like a “mutual decision” to me. He sucked on the SB halftime show and he sucked on this show. I guess he’ll have to live off of his wife’s money for a while. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Inside Adam Levine's Sudden Exit From 'The Voice' and What's Next for Him

Bolding mine, to illustrate that

-you-know-what-they-say-darling-sour-gra

... where he had no issue making his displeasure with the show -- particularly, the cross battles -- known.

"I hated it," he said of the new element of the show in which contestants from different teams compete live. "I hope they change it immediately. I think it sucks. However, you try things and you don't always succeed with them, and that's part of life, and that's a part of having a show this long and we'll figure it all out."

He also bluntly said he didn't care who won the show this season, which ended up being Maelyn Jarmon, who was on Legend's team. Levine explained that the playing field was "pretty even" for a contestant whether he or she wins the show or not.

"I don't care. I'm having fun," he said when asked of the possibility of Shelton winning again this season. "I like to work with these kids, and like, sing, and help them learn how to be better singers and better artists. Whoever wins, it just doesn't matter. Like, at all."

"Everyone is in the same position once the show's over, whether they win or come in 10th or whatever," he continued. "Who cares, you know? That's how I feel. I'm sure they're gonna love that. But, it's the truth."

He won, what, THREE SEASONS out of 16?  Perhaps even that massive ego has to recognize those are not stats that indicate that he is effective or beloved.  Not his fault, though, you get that, right?

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115ce8a6c5325a497a41

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115ce8a8c65259587263

Edited by observer
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Why Gwen? I'm a fan of her and her music, but they should've picked someone else instead.

I wonder if Adam's departure happened so quickly that they had to ask Gwen to return?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

That's what I'm thinking.  Perhaps TPTB tried some others first who couldn't or didn't want the gig.    Gwen, in the spirit of helping out (and getting a "living wage in return) agreed to cover.

• Love 1
(edited)

According to Yahoo Entertainment, Adam was not popular behind the scenes, and was not happy with the recent rule changes that guaranteed equally sized teams. He also massively ticked off the PTBs at NBC with his "performance" at the recent network upfronts. The coaches performed there as a quartet, and while the others were into it Adam was all frowny and going through the motions.

Adam Levine abruptly, mysteriously leaves 'The Voice' after 16 controversial seasons

Edited by JeanneH
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, JeanneH said:

He also massively ticked off the PTBs at NBC with his "performance" at the recent network upfronts.

Is there any way to watch it? Youtube or some other platform? I would certainly be curious to watch it. 

I'm convinced Gwen was just like the emergency contact to call when they needed someone in a pinch. Obviously you can't announce Adam isn't coming back without a name to take over.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

So very glad that Adam is gone. He was a terrible coach and a boring judge. I just wish Alicia Keys was chosen instead of Gwen, but I understand if the choice had to be made so quickly.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, observer said:

Inside Adam Levine's Sudden Exit From 'The Voice' and What's Next for Him

Bolding mine, to illustrate that

-you-know-what-they-say-darling-sour-gra

He won, what, THREE SEASONS out of 16?  Perhaps even that massive ego has to recognize those are not stats that indicate that he is effective or beloved.  Not his fault, though, you get that, right? 

I don't like Adam at all and I'm happy he went out this way. Even so, I couldn't help laughing when he said it didn't make any difference winning or coming in 10th place on this show because that's the most honest thing a Voice coach has ever said.

Horrible news to hear Gwen is back. Why couldn't it have been JHUD or Christina? I'd welcome Shakira or Usher back, too, although I think it's probable that neither of them would ever want to come back.

• Love 3

I can't stop laughing that in the article JeanneH posted above, Blake suggested David Lee Roth as a replacement for Adam.

Uh...yeah. That would be interesting. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 5/24/2019 at 10:37 AM, Dots And Stripes said:

Adam is leaving and is being replaced with Gwen for next season. The strangest part is NBC announced all season 16 coaches would return just last week.

Adam has been checked out for a while. Addison was the last artist he seemed really invested in. It’s time for a break for him. I hope we get to hear some gossip about this rather than just a lot of PR spin. I’m so curious how this all went down!

I wish we knew the real story too. I used to like Adam the first few years of the show but i the last few years, I thought he got worse  but still was ok with him and this fall I really didn't like him at all.

On 5/24/2019 at 12:17 PM, vb68 said:

I don't think Adam was thrilled with more direct competition from John Legend, either. He seemed a little shook the whole season.

I feel the same way too.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, Ladyrain said:

Bingo.  

I loved John this season.   Great attitude, sense of humor, doesn't dress like he just came in from moving the lawn.......and he won!

John was a breath of fresh air!

23 hours ago, realdancemom said:

I like Miley too.  But I thought the same thing that she can't be on the same show with Kelly.  Nobody else will be able to talk. 🙂

I hope we don't see the Blake and Gwen show as somebody else mentioned.  I don't want the Blake/Adam frenemy fights to turn into Blake/Gwen lovey dovey comments.

I liked Gwen better than Miley. But I actually liked J Hud better than both of them.

22 hours ago, realdancemom said:

John seemed humble too.  I really liked when he said that Shawn and Maelyn made him look good.  That either one would have made any of the coaches look great.  So different from Adam's huge ego.

I liked that about John too!!!

• Love 2
22 hours ago, realdancemom said:

John seemed humble too.  I really liked when he said that Shawn and Maelyn made him look good.  That either one would have made any of the coaches look great.  So different from Adam's huge ego.

16 hours ago, Dots And Stripes said:

Thanks for posting.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, vb68 said:

Is there any way to watch it? Youtube or some other platform? I would certainly be curious to watch it. 

I'm convinced Gwen was just like the emergency contact to call when they needed someone in a pinch. Obviously you can't announce Adam isn't coming back without a name to take over.

I read in one of the posted articles (I think) that it had been on YT but was taken down.

As far as Gwen, I agree with VB68 and others - she was the emergency fill-in.  NBC saw it as a casting emergency that needed quick resolution. And Gwen fit the bill - they could get in contact with her and get an answer quickly, she already knew how the game works, and (most importantly) she happened to be available (or could shuffle her schedule) for filming days.

• Love 2

Gwen is the worst so I can't be happy she is back. She may have some great songs but her personality is vapid and annoying. I am guessing she was a last minute choice though.

If Adam quit, I can't say I am surprised. He had the same look as Usher and Shakira had on finale night basically saying fuck this mediocre shit. Blake/country's popularity has pushed through so many shit contestants. If you are a musician it has to be hard to sit there and pretend that those contestants aren't terrible. 

• Love 7
On 5/25/2019 at 1:18 AM, TheGreenKnight said:

I don't like Adam at all and I'm happy he went out this way. Even so, I couldn't help laughing when he said it didn't make any difference winning or coming in 10th place on this show because that's the most honest thing a Voice coach has ever said.

Horrible news to hear Gwen is back. Why couldn't it have been JHUD or Christina? I'd welcome Shakira or Usher back, too, although I think it's probable that neither of them would ever want to come back.

Adam told the truth which I'm sure TPTB hated.  It really doesn't matter whether you come in first or 10th except if there's cash involved.  I remember there was another article where Adam called out the show for not doing more for their winners.  

I'm sure Shakira or Usher don't want to come back.  Shakira was funny but not a good coach.

On 5/25/2019 at 12:05 AM, vb68 said:

One of the articles stated that youtube took down the clip.  I was able to see it.  Adam was just going through the motions.  You can tell that he didn't care just by his posture and energy.

• Love 1
(edited)

Came across this tidbit in an article about the new show Songland.  Ryan Tedder mentions that he was asked if he wanted to fill Adam’s chair on The Voice when Adam was thinking about leaving the show a few years ago.  

https://variety.com/2019/music/news/songland-tv-ryan-tedder-shane-mcanally-ester-dean-1203226920/

Tedder recalls the slightly roundabout way he was brought into the project. “This whole thing started four years ago when Adam (Levine) was considering leaving ‘The Voice’ and, unbeknownst to me, I had been in the NBC batter’s box for Adam’s chair were he to leave. I didn’t know that but I get a call: ‘Hey, we think Adam’s leaving. He’s ready to do something different. You have 48 hours to decide.’ I was like, holy hell! And before I could even make a decision, I got a call later that day from Audrey Morrissey saying, ‘I’m so sorry — false alarm. He’s decided to stay, but we have this other show that you’re custom tailored for. It’s actually a better fit for you.’”

(Levine is credited as an executive producer on “Songland,” too, although his involvement has not been hands-on in its recent development. Tedder says that when OneRepublic performed on “The Voice” during the final week of the season, he spoke backstage to Levine, who revealed that he was about to depart that show. “He basically told me, ‘Man, I’ve just reached my end. It’s been amazing. All good things must come to an end.’ But really all he talked about was ‘Songland’ — he was ecstatic about it. So I know that he is absolutely going to be a champion of this moving forward.”)

Edited by Noreaster
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Noreaster said:

Came across this tidbit in an article about the new show Songland.  Ryan Tedder mentions that he was asked if he wanted to fill Adam’s chair on The Voice when Adam was thinking about leaving the show a few years ago.  

https://variety.com/2019/music/news/songland-tv-ryan-tedder-shane-mcanally-ester-dean-1203226920/

Would love to see Ryan Tedder as a coach.  Just thought he would be too busy but he's doing Songland so I guess it's possible.

On 5/24/2019 at 10:13 AM, slaterain said:

Maybe now that she is with Blake that will improve but I'm also not really sure I am up for 'couple antics' to replace the Blake/Adam 'frienemy antics'

Yeah me either as I am SO over Blake's control over the voting minions and now he'll have basic say over half the show's contestants...

But I'd like to think that we all did our little part in assuring Adam's exit by voicing our displeasure. So, yay us. And them for hearing the swelling chorus of Adam hate growing. I'm so very happy. And may I say that if someone paid ME 26 million I'd at least not show up to work in a tracksuit and I'd also try to actually give a shit.

I'm just about 100% positive that Gwen was the best they could get given timeframe and availability and I'm sure Blake was the key to getting her to come back.

In any case I'm interested in seeing what a non-Adam version of the show is no matter who they replaced him with.

• Love 4

I don't know if I agree with all of the comments about the power of Blake's voting block.  Yes, he has won more than anyone else, but he hasn't won the majority of the seasons.  I believe this year's voting reflected the misguided attempt by the producers to have viewers vote the knockout rounds and as a backlash against Adam as Adam chose to go against Blake quite a bit during the knockouts.  

Probably a very unpopular opinion, but I'm very thankful that Gwen agreed to do the show as I think the producers were on a REALLY tight timeline to fill Adam's position and at least she made herself available.

• Love 6

I'm sure that Adam quit (and apparently didn't care that he left them hanging on short notice) once he got slapped in the face by the fans refusing to vote for his contestants this season.  He knows that all of the auditioners next season will not only be aware of his treatment of Deandre, they've also seen the public's rejection of him.

I don't think he could stand the humiliation of not getting a single contestant that wasn't a one chair turn.

• Love 4
(edited)
On 6/4/2019 at 9:05 PM, Sile said:

I don't think he could stand the humiliation of not getting a single contestant that wasn't a one chair turn.

"So with that selection everyone's team is full, leaving just Adam looking for his 2nd contestant." 😃

Edited by Wandering Snark
  • LOL 4
20 hours ago, Wandering Snark said:

"So with that selection everyone's team is full, leaving just Adam looking for his 2nd contestant." 😃

You know, now that I think about it, I kinda wish Adam hadn't quit...

• LOL 4
On 9/16/2019 at 8:33 PM, missyb said:

Love this song by Extreme:

They all definitely did well in this!  Surprisingly, all of their voices went really well together!

The energy among them feels really, high, too, in this preview of tonight's first seven minutes:

MIley Cyrus was a total trainwreck but JHUD (who gave her that name??) was a condescending bitch on the show.  Oh look at me I'm Broadway - here let me throw my shoe!

Kelley has let her "fame" go to her head and has become annoying to the point I want to mute her every time she opens her mouth - which means I would be watching the show in silence.

Alicia Keys was lovely, and I want her to come back.  I want Blake to relax and just be - don't try to impress or try to override Kelly in all her craziness.

Adam can come back and just sit there shirtless - he's so damn pretty. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

I love that even Carson got to join in. This was a pretty rendition.

I would love to have more moments like this than the fake over the top "feuding" between the judges. Isn't it supposed to be about the music? They all performed so well together, especially Kelly and John. Gwen, well, the woman is a pretty poor vocalist, imo, but she gave the old college try. Blake was fine.

This is such a beautifully written song with its melody and harmonies. It's too bad that the lyrics are the story of a guy telling a girl that she has to have sex with him to prove that she loves him. ☹️

• Love 1
On 10/10/2019 at 8:36 PM, Ashforth said:

I saw this the other day, too.  And I was really shocked to see all the guesses for Blake & Gwen.  Sure, made-up, contractually fake relationships in Hollywood are definitely a thing but I genuinely do not see what the angle would be for these 2 to be in one.  What would be the benefit to either of them?  Why would either of them need to do this?  I don't get it. 

• Love 1