Type keyword(s) to search

Gwen Stefani: No Doubt She Ain't No Hollaback Girl

• Start Topic

Not surprising considering Gavin Rossdale has been cheating for years, supposedly with both men and women. Maybe Gwen and Blake can console each other on the set of "The Voice".

Well, according to the tabloids they now are...! Supposedly, why the blinds they've become a couple.

Edited by Cramps

Well, according to the tabloids they now are...! Supposedly, why the blinds they've become a couple.

They were a funny duo on Jimmy Fallon's lyp synching segment.  She seemed to be flirting with him a bit but I couldn't tell if it was just for show. I've been trying to pick up on any sort of body language on this season of the Voice.  I see it a little from Gwen to Blake but not the other way around.

I'm not convinced they are a couple.  It's a quick and easy leap to go there given the timing of the show and the demise of both of their marriages, but it could just be that - coincidental.   Could be a really cute odd couple if true.

Edited by Jextella

I'm sorry, I found this thread, and I just have to vent...  I'm sure she's a really nice person, but I just can't stand her.  First of all, she can't sing live... I actually thought a couple of her performances were supposed to be a joke/parody they were so bad.  My main issue with her though, is that throughout the Blinds on both of the seasons she's been on, there were only 2 (yes, I counted. Ha ha.)  times she made a pitch for a contestant that she didn't make things all about her... Other coaches would say, "You're so talented", "What/where do you see yourself going?",  and generally keep it about the contestant, only mentioning themselves rarely.  Gwen would also say those same things, but 99% of the time would bring it back to her quicker than anything.  By this time we've heard 500 times that she's been in a band since she was young, she has fashion lines, she's a mom, she writes songs, etc...  I get mentioning it once or twice, but EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. is just tiring.

• Love 3

I'm sorry, I found this thread, and I just have to vent...  I'm sure she's a really nice person, but I just can't stand her.  First of all, she can't sing live... I actually thought a couple of her performances were supposed to be a joke/parody they were so bad.  My main issue with her though, is that throughout the Blinds on both of the seasons she's been on, there were only 2 (yes, I counted. Ha ha.)  times she made a pitch for a contestant that she didn't make things all about her... Other coaches would say, "You're so talented", "What/where do you see yourself going?",  and generally keep it about the contestant, only mentioning themselves rarely.  Gwen would also say those same things, but 99% of the time would bring it back to her quicker than anything.  By this time we've heard 500 times that she's been in a band since she was young, she has fashion lines, she's a mom, she writes songs, etc...  I get mentioning it once or twice, but EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. is just tiring.

I kind of cut her some slack on this because I think distinguishing yourself from the other coaches can be a good strategy. I think Gwen can use more finesse, but Blake likes to point out the things they have in common and all of the things he can do in the country world that the others can't.  It's valid to pick a coach because they seem the most enthusiastic and give you the best compliments, a sign they may keep you around a while, but I also think it's valid to pick a coach because they have an asset the others don't.

Gwen's other problem is her team did terribly last time. Sure Pharrell's team did poorly his first season too, but I think artists would be more likely to take a chance on him because he is very good at building people up and his career has been on fire the last few years. 

I think Gwen's new pitch should be "I got Craig Wayne Boyd to cut his hair." Sure he went back to Team Blake, but I do think Gwen's makeover helped him a lot. 

I have to agree with you about Gwen. I thought "We can shop for shoes and do our hair together" (or whatever it was) was bad enough last season. But this season she's added "I'm a mom".  I'm never sure why someone's supposed to choose her for that. Because they're a mom, too? Because she's going to mother them? I get that "I've been in a band" is supposed to show she's experienced, but she doesn't say anything noteworthy about it (and Adam never says it, probably because (1) people know and (2) it sounds kind of lame.) If she said, "I was the lead singer and can help you do..." it might be better, but it might sound conceited. If I were her, I'd pick up on the pitch Adam made -for- her in the blinds, that she's performed lots of different styles of music, is very creative, good with staging which the others aren't etc. (Actually, I haven't seen evidence of any of it--or even that she's a good singer--but I admit I didn't know much about her until the show. If she can say it, why not?)

But I agree, Pharrell and Adam (sometimes Blake,too) usually talk about the contestant and how much the performance moved them, impressed them, etc. and why. Gwen should do more of that and less of the "You're so cute" or "If you choose me, I'll sing a duet with you! (even though you're not that hot)" etc.

• Love 2

Here's an example of why Gwen has earned my disrespect.

She's complimenting a contestant on her performance and then interjects right in the middle "your boots are so sparkly". Like its a statement of equivalent value to talking about the girl's voice.

Shut up Gwen. All that communicates is shallowness. And she does this kind of thing CONSTANTLY.

• Love 2

Asking the No Doubt / Stefani Fans:  Has Gwen always "sang" like that?  Because she doesn't really actually sing, does she?  I find it to be just the oddest thing.  When she sings, she just seems to lower her voice down as far as it will go and kind of just "talk sings."   She did it in the group song last night.  And her singing voice is night & day different from her talking voice.  I know that is common but with her it seems so forced.  Like she forces herself down 2-3 octaves to "sing."  Weird.  Now that I'm thinking of it, I know she actually sang 'Underneath it All,' but anything else I have heard lately seems to be more of this low-voiced talk singing. Weirdness aside, I actually love her new single and have it running through my head all day long even though the 1st time I heard it I hated it.

Edited by Cementhead

Asking the No Doubt / Stefani Fans:  Has Gwen always "sang" like that?  Because she doesn't really actually sing, does she?  I find it to be just the oddest thing.  When she sings, she just seems to lower her voice down as far as it will go and kind of just "talk sings."   She did it in the group song last night.  And her singing voice is night & day different from her talking voice.  I know that is common but with her it seems so forced.  Like she forces herself down 2-3 octaves to "sing."  Weird.  Now that I'm thinking of it, I know she actually sang 'Underneath it All,' but anything else I have heard lately seems to be more of this low-voiced talk singing. Weirdness aside, I actually love her new single and have it running through my head all day long even though the 1st time I heard it I hated it.

I love Gwen as a person but don't qualify as a No Doubt aficionado or anything.  However, I know exactly what you mean and noticed it a long time ago, but never put it into words as well as you did.  She has a really unusual way of getting into the pocket, and it does seem to involve pushing her voice down in pitch first, which also gives her some of that growl.  

• Love 1

Cementhead, I suspect Gwen's style of singing is influenced by the fact that No Doubt started out as a Ska band.  Like other genres that have their origin in Jamaican street music, Ska is characterized by what you call "talk sing" (which by the way, I think is a good layman's way of describing it).

• Love 2

Thank you Shades of Scarlet & viajero for your great replies.  viajero; thanks for your explanation of the Ska genre.   I have heard the Ska reference before but didn't know anything about it in terms of style. 

Edited by Cementhead

When Gwen starting singing as a young teen, her dad, an executive for Yamaha, actually advised her never to take singing lessons. He thought her sound and the way she sings is unique and that if she ever took lessons it would ruin her style of singing.

I think a lack of formal training may be evident in her coaching. Listening to Braiden's Amazing Grace ( I love the song, and liked this arrangement), there are a lot of issues in his technique. Listen for the extra "h" sounds in his words:  "We'heeve no less days"  " wa-has lost."  I'm no expert, but junior high choir taught us to not do that.  I'm surprised the (music) producers let the song be finalized like that. (Same kind of thing with people who take a breath in the middle of a word.)  Technique can be taught and practiced. Braiden's stage presence and confidence improved, to me, when he put his glasses back on and quit straightening his hair, but his technique still needs training.  Gwen seems to be very positive, very loving, and very supportive.  But I'm not sure how much she brings to improving the members on her team vocally, but they often do look a lot better.  That said, I do enjoy Gwen, and how she lights up the place. She seems to be having so  much fun!

I think a lack of formal training may be evident in her coaching. Listening to Braiden's Amazing Grace ( I love the song, and liked this arrangement), there are a lot of issues in his technique. Listen for the extra "h" sounds in his words:  "We'heeve no less days"  " wa-has lost."  I'm no expert, but junior high choir taught us to not do that.  I'm surprised the (music) producers let the song be finalized like that. (Same kind of thing with people who take a breath in the middle of a word.)  Technique can be taught and practiced. Braiden's stage presence and confidence improved, to me, when he put his glasses back on and quit straightening his hair, but his technique still needs training.  Gwen seems to be very positive, very loving, and very supportive.  But I'm not sure how much she brings to improving the members on her team vocally, but they often do look a lot better.  That said, I do enjoy Gwen, and how she lights up the place. She seems to be having so  much fun!

Well the problem with that analysis is that the "Coaches" only give about 10% of the "coaching" these guys get for the show.  Just the tip of the iceberg for the cameras, in other words.

• Love 4

Gwen has a nice energy, but she wins the prize for giving the most useless judge's comments after a performance.

Yeah, it makes me feel bad for years of thinking badly of Christina's comments.

Heck, it even makes me think twice about how bad Paula Abdul's might have actually been.

Gwen has a likability factor beyond those two, which is how she gets away with it though. 

• Love 2

All the contestants are assisted with a vocal coach, so none of the celebrity coaches need to train the contestants vocally. What they do work on is song selection, vocal and music arangement, stage presence, look and confidence. Technically the contestants already have the voice, hence the blind audition. If we are going to judge Gwen on effectiveness based on Braiden, then we also have to look at Jeffery and she has done wonders for him.

She does have a likeable TV personality. That's why she is more popular than the other 2 female judges Shakira and Christina Aguilera I think.

I thought Shakira was very likable, At least as much as Gwen.

• Love 9

I thought Shakira was very likable, At least as much as Gwen.

The Shakira/Usher lineup got by far the best reviews from the media. Shakira was very likable and produced some memorable and funny moments. Hell, even Christina produced some memorable moments. Gwen is has the personality of a wet noodle and certainly isn't likable. She's forgettable in every way IMO.

• Love 2

Shakira brought a lot of levity and good chemistry to the panel.  I think Shakira's main problem was just attracting non-latin leaning artists to her team.

Christina brought some really good coaching (IMO) and some pretty unintentionally amusing moments to the panel (girl has zero poker face).  

Gwen just talks about clothes and hair and has had the most lackluster team I can remember of any season.  I'd take Shakira or Christina over Gwen any day, and I say this as a pretty big No Doubt fan also.  Gwen has awesome stage presence, but she's just not a good fit for this show at all.

• Love 5

Personally, I'd go...

(1)shakira

(2)Gwen-shitty coach but she's seems so good-natured I can't help but like her

(3)Christina-decent coach but I just can connect with her personality

Shakira kind of has the good qualities of both for me but struggles to get good people on her team.

(I also want Blake/adam to take a break...badly)

• Love 1

Anyone know if Shakira has categorically ruled out a return?  Same question as to Usher.  I found Shakira to be an absolute delight and, although Usher was a bit of a douche his second time around, I am completely over Pharrell for all time.  But to stay on topic, I like Gwen.  I think she's sweet.  I do wish that she would get more substantive in her performance tips, which doesn't seem like it should be that difficult for her to do. 

Edited by Shades of Scarlet
  • Like 1

Her husband, Blake Shelton, already has a star on The Hollywood Walk of Fame...

SHE’S JUST A GIRL GETTING A STAR ON THE HOLLYWOOD WALK OF FAME! GLOBAL MUSIC ICON GWEN STEFANI TO BE HONORED ON OCTOBER 19TH IN CELEBRATION OF HER BIRTHDAY MONTH
October 10, 2023
https://walkoffame.com/press_releases/shes-just-a-girl-getting-a-star-on-the-hollywood-walk-of-fame-global-music-icon-gwen-stefani-to-be-honored-on-october-19th-in-celebration-of-her-birthday-month/ 

WATCH LIVE The event will be streamed live exclusively at walkoffame.com 

Multi-platinum recording artist, fashion icon, and ‘The Voice’ coach, Gwen Stefani will be honored on Thursday, October 19, at 11:30 a.m. with the 2,764th star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. The star will be unveiled at 6212 Hollywood Boulevard next to Amoeba Music. Stefani will be honored with her star in the category of Recording. There will be a street closure between Argyle and El Centro beginning at 10 a.m.

Edited by tv echo