Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E03: Oh Captain, My Captain

4 hours ago, ottilie said:

Who is the new mayor?

The man that Renard dug up dirt on after he was seduced by Rachel.  I guess you don't remember the crook that Renard told Hank and Nick in his office that could NOT become Mayor?   Yeah.  I don't think the writers remember that story, which is part of the reason (Diana's return was the other) why Renard agreed to run for Mayor and join BC. 

2 hours ago, possibilities said:

Did they say that he was going to be the new mayor? I missed it.

Dixon is dead.  Nick as Renard abdicated.  So, I guess the crook is the one that will end up Mayor.  It would be funny as hell if the newly elected Mayor fired Renard, Hank, Wu and Nick and Grossante ended up as Captain.

• Love 1

Even if they go back to basics next week, the damage has been done.

Agreed - pressing the "reset" button was about the lamest thing this show could have done. And if the writers think Nick and Renard can call a truce and everything can go back to "normal" then they're even worse writers than I thought - and that's saying a lot. But we've got ten more episodes before this ride is over so let's see where they're going with it. Surely they can't expect to just do crime of the week stories from this point forward and run out the clock.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Agreed - pressing the "reset" button was about the lamest thing this show could have done. And if the writers think Nick and Renard can call a truce and everything can go back to "normal" then they're even worse writers than I thought - and that's saying a lot. But we've got ten more episodes before this ride is over so let's see where they're going with it. Surely they can't expect to just do crime of the week stories from this point forward and run out the clock.

This will be the second time that Nick and Hank worked for Renard when they did not trust him and now we can add Wu to the mix.   The show spent four years rebuilding the working relationship between three police officers who put their lives on the line and then trashed it all for a lame ass story.  I don't understand why they did not show fans that Renard was running a con to bring down BC and kept everyone else out of the loop.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, neuromom said:

So we know HW is out of Portland, and apparently BC is too? How is that? Was Bonaparte the ONLY leader, and once he died....that's it? 

Well, the Resistance and Royal's are gone with a yawn and we can add BC and HW to the list.  Bonaparte was the head of BC and he's dead.  The show has not mentioned Billy Trump and the character played by Bailey Chase, but turned around and added Lt. Grossante to the cast.  Yeah, so it is safe to say that BC and HW joined the other supposed story arcs and ended with a whimper.

Oh.  Bonaparte was the leader, followed by Renard and Lucien/Bailey Chase character and there were two more leaders under Renard without names or pictures.  I guess it is safe to say that the writers just decided to move on and not really give any thought to what they wrote for s5 as they end s6.  

• Love 1

It's possible the writers intended to go somewhere else entirely with the whole Black Claw/Hadrian's Wall thing when they started it last season, but when they found out Season 6 would be the last, and that there would only be 13 episodes, they decided to wrap it up as quickly as possible and abandon it for whatever new endgame they have in mind. They could have had a whole multi-season arc in mind that couldn't have been wrapped up 13 episodes.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 1

"They are still scared of revealing their magical nature to the nonwesen residents of Portland" Are there any? It used to be that wesen were about 1% of the population; now they seem like 75% or more.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

It's possible the writers intended to go somewhere else entirely with the whole Black Claw/Hadrian's Wall thing when they started it last season, but when they found out Season 6 would be the last, and that there would only be 13 episodes, they decided to wrap it up as quickly as possible and abandon it for whatever new endgame they have in mind. They could have had a whole multi-season arc in mind that couldn't have been wrapped up 13 episodes.

The show did squat with the Resistance and Royal's, so I seriously doubt they would have followed through with a major HW vs BC arc.   The King should still be alive and we should have had some clue about the other Royal families and whether or not their keys were real or fake.  I would like to think the show would have taken a hard look at the backlash from s4 and fix their many mistakes in order to be on-air at least another few years.

IMO, BC should have slowly developed over the course of the entire show with a few disgruntled wesens wanting to live out in the open and meeting pushback from the Wesen Council.  @OttterMommy's comments are spot on with their being so many fairy tales out their for wesen of the week and finding the keys should have developed over the entire tenure of the show.

4 hours ago, jhlipton said:

"They are still scared of revealing their magical nature to the nonwesen residents of Portland" Are there any? It used to be that wesen were about 1% of the population; now they seem like 75% or more.

Renard was fighting hard to keep the 1% of wesens under the radar, which is why having him join BC was a load of poop.  Renard loved law and order and not chaos, plus the man hated losing control.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, jhlipton said:

1%?  Every third cop and half the civilians we meet in this season are wesens!

LOL.  I know, right.  Renard said most of the crime in town was wesen related once Wu learned the truth.    I would like to think the majority in town are humans and the 1% are wesens.

I think that's probably right. We just see more Wesen than humans because the main character is A) a cop and B) a Grimm. Those two groups are going to come into contact with Wesen more often than anyone else in this case. 

Oh god, this is what's going to happen, isn't it?  Then Nick and Juliette will be a couple again and Diana will make Daddy "good" so Renard and Adalind can be together too. 

Alas, I think you’re right.  Every episode from here on out is going to be over-the-top conflict followed by an immediate reset to status quo that makes no sense. (How do you assign cases to someone you tried to have killed? How do you take orders from someone you threatened to murder?) Maybe they'll throw a few WoTW eps in, because maybe the writers are FINALLY figuring out that that’s why people got into Grimm, not uber-magical rape babies. But because they’re the ones who started all the stupidity in the first place, they can’t let it go completely. So I smell some REAL ridiculousness coming down the pike before it’s all over.

I like the women playing Adalind and Juliette/Eve, but let's face it, those characters have been trashed. I don't feel bad complaining about it, because we're not complaining about female characters (like, why are all these GIRLS in our cool monster show?), we're complaining that the writers on a network TV show don't know how to write female characters (and apparently don't care to learn how). The only two characters they know are mystical emotionless/inexplicably evil badass fembot, and shmoopy useless hand-wringing damsel. (Seriously, that scene with Adalind trying to trick Renard into staying home was EMBARRASSING. I felt like I was stuck at home with the flu watching Three's Company in the days before remote controls.) I'm guessing someone with talent was allowed to develop Rosalee at one point, but even her awesomeness has taken a backseat (after she got married, huh, that's funny) to the As the Grimm Turns nonsense.

• Love 3

It just seems overly thoughtless on the part of the writers to have Adalind question Nick "where was the first place we kissed" with Juliette/Eve standing right there. I mean - do the writers just think we're over it? Or that we've forgotten all the things Adalind did? That she's the reason Nick and Juliette are no longer together, and why Juliette turned into a Hexenbiest, was subsequently kidnapped, brainwashed and turned into a robot killer? The whole attitude of the show towards this complicated relationship is so shallow and so inconsiderate and short-sighted it makes me mad when I think about it.  Whoever is in charge of writing this show deserves never to be hired in that capacity, ever again.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

It just seems overly thoughtless on the part of the writers to have Adalind question Nick "where was the first place we kissed" with Juliette/Eve standing right there. I mean - do the writers just think we're over it? Or that we've forgotten all the things Adalind did? That she's the reason Nick and Juliette are no longer together, and why Juliette turned into a Hexenbiest, was subsequently kidnapped, brainwashed and turned into a robot killer? The whole attitude of the show towards this complicated relationship is so shallow and so inconsiderate and short-sighted it makes me mad when I think about it.  Whoever is in charge of writing this show deserves never to be hired in that capacity, ever again.

Pfffft.  These types of things happen on a soap opera all of the time!  So, Grimm writers clearly see themselves as soap opera writers and the next course of action is for Nick to kick Adalind out of bed and replace her with Juliette. Our resident special snowflake Diana will have Adalind and Renard doing the nasty while she murders her fifth grade classmates for eating too much cake.

The fight between the two Renards was epic! Bonus points for shirtless Nick. Renard is fortunate that he has any job in Portland after Nick learned that he had his blackmailer killed. I don't think Diana is evil just very powerful and very immature. She really should be about three years old not ten or eleven which she is now. I think Adalind will stay with Renard in order to satify Diana. I wonder how they will handle Nick and Juliette since she burned the trailer and killed his mother.

I was thinking about what purpose they have for Meisner haunting Renard - with the preview "you picked the wrong side, Sean". Even though we haven't seen Black claw lately, I expect them to make their presence known again. Meisner will haunt him until he switches sides to support Hadrian's Wall again.

On 1/21/2017 at 9:46 AM, arieswriting said:

Add in magical kids/babies and it just went so far off the tracks, and it makes me SO ANGRY because the concept of the show was so good the first few seasons.

I'm with you. I can just hear some network demographics nerd saying, "We need more women viewers, so let's add babies" or some such nonsense. This show was terrific at its start linking fairy tales to real life crimes, and implying there may be more to the world than we know, before it went all relationshipy. Rosalee and Monroe was fine. All the baby/Juliet/Adalind stuff was way too much.

Imagine if this show had kept to its premise, and then brought in the residents of Portland as being wise to the complexity around them and yet choosing to live there precisely because of it. Could have been some great lessons there that would be especially relevant these days.

• Love 3
On 1/21/2017 at 0:00 AM, Frozendiva said:

I shallowly hoped that Nick would burst out of his underwear when changing in to Renard - as was stated that Renard was larger.

On 1/21/2017 at 3:06 AM, GaT said:

Personally, I wondered if he was larger all over. It seems to me that would be one of the first things to check :-)

I think that was the implication, especially as it was Juliette who said it, and she would know. She could  have said "taller" or "bigger," but she went with "larger."