Type keyword(s) to search

The Mick - General Discussion

TheRabbi
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Mick looked pretty crushed during the ending too. Had tears coming out of her eyes. Very dark and serious ending.

Great episode. Not the funniest, but I thought Kaitlin's acting was great throughout and I always like these Mickey/Sabrina episodes. Hope it gets renewed and I think it has a decent shot. Ratings aren't great, but no worse than the rest of the Fox live action sitcoms and it's been doing better than LA To Vegas lately. Seems to be building a cult audience as well. I think if they move it to Sundays in the fall while giving Brooklyn Nine Nine/Last Man On Earth shorter seasons that premier in the winter, it might have a shot to get a little more popular.

Edited by jurkas28
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, MrWhyt said:

family is gathered around Sabrina in a hospital bed. She's intubated and bandaged, doctor says she almost died and that the force of the lightening blew off her big toe. No idea as to what kind of cognitive damage she might have suffered. Show ends.

Plus the long, slow zoom out while "Come on, baby, let the good times roll" plays as Mickey tries to hold it together. I was shocked by how grim the ending was.

• Love 4

Ratings aren't great, but no worse than the rest of the Fox live action sitcoms and it's been doing better than LA To Vegas lately.

Actually, no. Both have been tying in the 18-49 demo (0.7/3) but LA to Vegas gets slightly more household numbers: 2.04 million versus 1.85 for The Mick. Not a huge difference but LA to Vegas has consistently gotten slightly more overall viewers.

That said, this would be a terrible episode to end the series on. 

• Love 1
(edited)
16 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Actually, no. Both have been tying in the 18-49 demo (0.7/3) but LA to Vegas gets slightly more household numbers: 2.04 million versus 1.85 for The Mick. Not a huge difference but LA to Vegas has consistently gotten slightly more overall viewers.

That said, this would be a terrible episode to end the series on. 

I was mostly going on last week when Mick got a 0.7 in 18-49 while LA To Vegas got a 0.6. LA To Vegas gets more viewers, but it's in a better time slot and The Mick was getting around that number of viewers when it was on at 8:00. It's not much of a difference, but I'm biased because I'm meh on LA To Vegas while I really like The Mick and I want to see it get promoted better.

Edited by jurkas28
(edited)

True, not a huge difference, and Fox may not care. But one thing that might work against The Mick is the fact that it's the longer-running, more established show and is bleeding viewers from a much newer show. That really shouldn't be happening. (For what it's worth, TV By The Numbers seems to think it's a cinch to get renewed.)

Edited by iMonrey
(edited)

I think both will be renewed tbh. I can see Fox bringing back almost everything while they prepare for big changes from the impending sale. Only shows that look like they are surefire goners are The Exorcist which barely got renewed last year and is averaging as low as 0.3 in the 18-49 demo and Ghosted which was shelved without any news of it returning and replaced on Sundays by Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

Once again maybe I'm biased, but I think there is potential for it on Sundays ala Married With Children back in the day. I think the crazy family shenanigans has decent crossover appeal if properly promoted.

Edited by jurkas28

Another great episode.  Love how Mickey get all blinky when she gets angry.

As for renewal, if its between the Mick and LA-Vegas, I think The Mick has this one.  It being an older show helps since its that closer to syndication (although that might not matter as much due to the Disney merger but Fox is supposed to be ignoring that, business dealing wise, until its finalized).  Shows tend to loose viewers as they go on so the fact that La-Vegas is getting such low numbers as a new show is significantly more troubling for the network. 

• Love 1
On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 8:39 AM, cousin oliver said:

I was shocked by how grim the ending was.

Me too. Mickey's slapstick injuries are disturbing enough but you know she's going to be all right. When Chip cut his fingers off, we never heard of it again. But this is serious and I don't think I like it.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, AngelKitty said:

Me too. Mickey's slapstick injuries are disturbing enough but you know she's going to be all right. When Chip cut his fingers off, we never heard of it again. But this is serious and I don't think I like it.

If it does get renewed, I'd rather have Sabrina come out of it with a different personality or being the opposite of her current character. Her just being paralyzed like The Colonel wouldn't be funny.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 4/4/2018 at 8:49 PM, Matt K said:

Another great episode.  Love how Mickey get all blinky when she gets angry.

As for renewal, if its between the Mick and LA-Vegas, I think The Mick has this one.  It being an older show helps since its that closer to syndication (although that might not matter as much due to the Disney merger but Fox is supposed to be ignoring that, business dealing wise, until its finalized).  Shows tend to loose viewers as they go on so the fact that La-Vegas is getting such low numbers as a new show is significantly more troubling for the network. 

The Mick, I think, also has some star power behind it.  Kaitlin Olson isn't a big megastar, but the show was sold on her stardom.  LA to Vegas stars a couple character actors and is sold based on it being created by the same guy as Modern Family.

Edited by RayAdverb
spelling
1 hour ago, jurkas28 said:

If it does get renewed, I'd rather have Sabrina come out of it with a different personality or being the opposite of her current character. Her just being paralyzed like The Colonel wouldn't be funny.

That would be a fun twist, except I don't want her to be stupid.  Crazy smart, like a genius level Mickey.  Or, leave her the same but have her convince everyone she now is psychic or something like that.  And, if it returns, I want Alba's fling to be some Bill Gates billionaire who whisks her away, they come back and turns out they are neighbors to the rest of the gang.  Keep her in the show, she and Mickey still hang out, but take away the housekeeper role completely.

I was certain Sabrina was going to chop Mickey's hand off, the way Mickey was leaning against the windshield and kept leaning towards Sabrina.  So the lightning actually made me jump a little.  Didn't see that coming.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, chaifan said:

That would be a fun twist, except I don't want her to be stupid.  Crazy smart, like a genius level Mickey.  Or, leave her the same but have her convince everyone she now is psychic or something like that.  And, if it returns, I want Alba's fling to be some Bill Gates billionaire who whisks her away, they come back and turns out they are neighbors to the rest of the gang.  Keep her in the show, she and Mickey still hang out, but take away the housekeeper role completely.

I was certain Sabrina was going to chop Mickey's hand off, the way Mickey was leaning against the windshield and kept leaning towards Sabrina.  So the lightning actually made me jump a little.  Didn't see that coming.

Yeah, that would be an interesting direction for Alba. I love the actress, but the character felt a little aimless this season.

• Love 1

I think they're gonna turn Sabrina to a female Jimmy.  Mickey ruined jimmys life as a graduating senior.  Ready to go to Stanford until Mickey intervened. Now it's Sabrina and Yale. 

I like the Alba twist another poster mentioned.  Have her nouveau riche and inviting mick to her yacht and clubs. Give her a housekeeper for laughs. 

• Love 1

I saw the actress who played Alba (Carla Jiminez) in a 6th season episode of Malcolm in the Middle.  The episode was called "No Motorcycles" and she is the attendant at some spa that Francis and Hal attend on Francis' 21st birthday.  It was interesting suddenly seeing her in this other role.  I had already seen this episode several times but that was before The Mick came.

11 hours ago, RayAdverb said:

I saw the actress who played Alba (Carla Jiminez) in a 6th season episode of Malcolm in the Middle.  The episode was called "No Motorcycles" and she is the attendant at some spa that Francis and Hal attend on Francis' 21st birthday.  It was interesting suddenly seeing her in this other role.  I had already seen this episode several times but that was before The Mick came.

Looking at her IMDB page, it's crazy how many television shows she popped up in before her breakout in The Mick. In addition to Malcolm, she's been in episodes of ER, The Shield, My Name Is Earl, CSI, Dexter, Justified, Sons Of Anarchy, Entourage, Everybody Hates Chris, Bones, Community, 2 Broke Girls, and The Mindy Project. Usually, it's just for an episode in a really small part but that's a huge list of shows.

Edited by jurkas28
On 4/4/2018 at 7:39 PM, jurkas28 said:

Ghosted which was shelved without any news of it returning and replaced on Sundays by Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

What's super weird about this is I remember reading an article about how they were going to be "retooling" the show and giving it a new showrunner (Paul Lieberstein aka Toby from The Office). I wonder if the plans for that were just scrapped entirely. From what I can tell Adam Scott should be starting filming on Big Little Lies Season 2 soon so probably wouldn't be able to film 2 shows anyway.

7 hours ago, Phishbulb said:

What's super weird about this is I remember reading an article about how they were going to be "retooling" the show and giving it a new showrunner (Paul Lieberstein aka Toby from The Office). I wonder if the plans for that were just scrapped entirely. From what I can tell Adam Scott should be starting filming on Big Little Lies Season 2 soon so probably wouldn't be able to film 2 shows anyway.

LA To Vegas is supposed to be finishing up soon, so maybe it starts airing after that ends. I read that Fox was letting the unaired episodes air in New Zealand which is usually not good for a show on the bubble. Maybe it was too expensive and it became a big headache or something.

(edited)
2 hours ago, Ikki said:

I'm really bummed about this show being cancelled. I mean, I'm more upset about Brooklyn Nine-Nine, but this sucks too.

My feelings exactly.  Fox is the worst.  Assholes.

Edited by QueerGirrl
  • Love 3
(edited)

All the media is focusing on brooklyn nine nine, but I'm so upset that this brilliant little show is no more. I like B9 (absolutely loved it the first 2-3 seasons), but I'm of the minority opinion that the show has nearly run its course (though there have been a couple very good episodes this spring). But The Mick had me in tears nearly every episode. Shame. 

Sad about Last man on earth as well, even if that show has been wildly inconsistent. Fox is indeed assholes.

Edited by TheRabbi
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, TheRabbi said:

All the media is focusing on brooklyn nine nine, but I'm so upset that this brilliant little show is no more. I like B9 (absolutely loved it the first 2-3 seasons), but I'm of the minority opinion that the show has nearly run its course (though there have been a couple very good episodes this spring). But The Mick had me in tears nearly every episode. Shame. 

Sad about Last man on earth as well, even if that show has been wildly inconsistent. Fox is indeed assholes.

I wonder if Kaitlin juggling with two shows was too much for her. She still has It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia.

I can't say I'm surprised this was not renewed.  It seemed like it kind of ran under the radar and was never  a big hit. 

Last Man on Earth was also cancelled?  That's a shame, because with the season 4 cliffhanger it seemed like they were about to stop spinning their wheels and actually give a thought to a sustainable future for humanity.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Ikki said:

I'm really bummed about this show being cancelled. I mean, I'm more upset about Brooklyn Nine-Nine, but this sucks too.

It was a Fox TV slaughter for the shows I watch.

The trifecta :  The Mick, Brooklyn 99 and Last Man on Earth. 

And a wait and see on LA to Vegas

1 hour ago, RayAdverb said:

I can't say I'm surprised this was not renewed.  It seemed like it kind of ran under the radar and was never  a big hit. 

Last Man on Earth was also cancelled?  That's a shame, because with the season 4 cliffhanger it seemed like they were about to stop spinning their wheels and actually give a thought to a sustainable future for humanity.

I read Last Man on Earth may move to Hulu or Netflix, forget which one. 

Small consolation

16 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

I wonder if Kaitlin juggling with two shows was too much for her. She still has It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia.

A. P. Bio got renewed. while I liked that show well enough, this one was superior.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, RayAdverb said:

Are you kidding me?  That show was unwatchable.

Ehh, it was fine. I mean,  I'm a few episodes behind, so obviously I'm not enamored,  but it was better than other options at the time. 

I didn't like AP Bio but I wonder if the network feels like it's only fair for these shows on the bubble to at least get a second season before the axe.  And the writers better bring it.  I think The Mick's first season was better, but I think that's true of most shows.  Still, I'll miss it.  

AP Bio had Lorne Michaels as an executive producer which has a lot of cache with NBC and probably why it was renewed despite the really low ratings. It's what happened with Great News last year which had Tina Fey on board and got renewed despite the bad ratings. Although that got cancelled after the second season, I imagine AP Bio probably will too unless they retool it or it gets great in the second season.

(edited)
On 5/10/2018 at 5:35 PM, incandescent said:

I can't believe this show ended with Sabrina in a freaking coma.

The showrunners really CAN'T have intended for this to be the end of the series. Between this and LMOE, I can't ever remember a time when so many comedies I've been watching have been cancelled mid-storyline like this.

LA To Vegas at least did the sensible thing and wrapped up their 13 episode first season so that the season finale worked as a series finale.

Edited by Phishbulb

Maybe the cliffhanger was meant to give the network more reason to order more?  For whatever reason they did it, I thought ending the season on a serious note was a mistake.  You can't have a show where you hit people with a car, amputate fingers, shoot kids with arrows and kill boyfriends for laughs, and then suddenly one major injury, one as ludicrous as the rest, is played as tragic.