Type keyword(s) to search

The Mick - General Discussion

TheRabbi
  • Start Topic

Sabrina believes she's a shoe-in at Yale, but on the day of her interview, she takes a risk that may ruin her chances and jeopardize her future. Meanwhile, Alba gets a visit from her cousin and must pretend to be a maid again, so her family doesn't disown her.

On 1/3/2018 at 1:45 PM, Silverglitter said:

You know, I didn't like Jimmy to begin with, but he really grew on me. He was really great with Ben and Ben's plot from last night just made me miss Jimmy and wish he had been there.

I was the same way! I missed him a lot this episode. I cannot stand Alba! I am not sure why she is even there. 

• Love 1

I've only seen a handful of season 2 so I don't know if the whole quality is in decline, but this was weak. As a general rule I never like any sitcom episode where the cast is just split up into pairs and the A/B plots have nothing to do with each other. It's lazy.

I guess I'm in the minority, because I thought this was one of the best episodes they've done. I thought that was probably the best Sabrina's been on the show and Sofia was really funny. The drug trip sequences between her and Kaitlin were really well acted, realistic, and funny. They actually managed to throw in a little character development between them as well. 

I do agree about the B-plot as it felt like filler. This show doesn't do the B and C plots as well as say It's Always Sunny where the two or three plots all connect to the theme of the episode. The Mick feels like they have the A-plot of Mickey/x character and then random shit with two or three other characters. The Matriarch is probably my favorite episode of the show because the Mickey/Rita storyline, but I can't remember anything about the other two storylines.

• Love 5

One of the reasons acid is not more popular than it is is that its shelf life sitting around in old denim pockets has been extensively tested. It is measured in days, not years. Not months, not weeks, not even many days. After acid is made, it has to be sold soon. After purchase, it has to be taken soon. Not because it ferments into super-acid, but simply because it quickly weakens until inert. So the whole premise is flawed, but that would be okay if it were still funny. However, aggravating that issue is the simple fact that drug humor has been done itno the ground for so long that it is very rarely as entertaining as it thinks it is. And this was drug humor written by people who don't even know much about the drug they are writing a script about, so all they can do is recycle tropes that they've seen other writers use a million times. Plus... are we really supposed to believe that Sabrina went 18 years without trying acid, only to eat some out of Micky's old dirty pocket on the day of her Yale interview? Almost everything about that storyline was a failure. The German class was kind of amusing, and the joke about the kid constantly shedding clohes to escape was actually funny, but neither was enough to support half the episode.

And the other part, with Alba and Chip and Alba's cousin, just wasn't funny. In concept it was fine, but in execution it just didn't work that well. I'm not sure Chip and Alba have any comedic chemistry with each other, but with the right thrd person there'd be the right balance. The guy playing the cousin was just kind of there, though. The story might have worked with a zanier, more comedic actor doing that role, but as it was the whole thing just fell flat.

Maybe trimming down the A and B stories by a few minutes and adding a C story of somebody, probably Ben, running around doing something gratuitously silly would have helped. That ability to pad out a story with extra laughs shoved into it almost randomly was part of what made Jimmy great. Although I can also see Jimmy having a large and funny role in either of the storylines they actually did this week.

But... it's only about a twenty minute show, and unlike most of the board I do still really laugh at it most of the time. So I'm okay shrugging this off as just one episode that I found mediocre, and I do still look forward to the next one. 

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, jurkas28 said:

I guess I'm in the minority, because I thought this was one of the best episodes they've done. I thought that was probably the best Sabrina's been on the show and Sofia was really funny. The drug trip sequences between her and Kaitlin were really well acted, realistic, and funny. They actually managed to throw in a little character development between them as well. 

I do agree about the B-plot as it felt like filler. This show doesn't do the B and C plots as well as say It's Always Sunny where the two or three plots all connect to the theme of the episode. The Mick feels like they have the A-plot of Mickey/x character and then random shit with two or three other characters. The Matriarch is probably my favorite episode of the show because the Mickey/Rita storyline, but I can't remember anything about the other two storylines.

I am in the minority too.  I thought it was funny.  I don't normally laugh out loud at this show anymore, but I did with "penis wig", when Micky got her face bashed in by Sabrina as she was looking in the mirror and one other thing Alba said that I am blanking on right now.  I don't know anything about drugs.  I never took any, so I can't judge how accurate that was.  

• Love 3

And this was drug humor written by people who don't even know much about the drug they are writing a script about, so all they can do is recycle tropes that they've seen other writers use a million times.

Yeah, don't write what you don't know, and don't rely on tropes. Sabrina and Mickey becoming fascinated with the mixed cleaning solution colors was spot-on accurate. Mickey hallucinating the devil at the gates of hell? Not so much. I'm surprised they didn't just go for the "I think I can fly now!" trope that permeated all the After School Specials about drugs in the 1970s.

I was, however, kind of fascinated by Kaitlin Olson playing the cello in the fantasy sequence because it really looked like she knew what she was doing. I wonder if she plays in real life. 

• Love 2

Never realized I would miss Jimmy so much. The episodes since he left have been painful to watch. This one was almost embarrassing. Considering that Scott MacAurhor(Jimmy)is a writer on the show, I thought it might keep it's funny. The fact that he's not coming back has me pretty much done with the show.

• Love 3
On 1/5/2018 at 2:06 PM, OnceSane said:

Sabrina believes she's a shoe-in at Yale, but on the day of her interview, she takes a risk that may ruin her chances and jeopardize her future. Meanwhile, Alba gets a visit from her cousin and must pretend to be a maid again, so her family doesn't disown her.

Was Alba afraid her family would disown her, or afraid that they'd all come to live with her? 

I liked the Sabrina/Mickey story line - I think those two characters are the best and the actors really play well off of each other.  I agree that Alba's B plot fell flat - relatively good concept, but it could have been so much better.

I'm wondering how they are going to deal with Sabrina going off to college.  I have no idea where the show is supposed to be set, so is it near Yale?  Or will they come up with some implausible reason for Sabrina's only option to be the local community college where she has to live at home?

• Love 2
11 hours ago, chaifan said:

Was Alba afraid her family would disown her, or afraid that they'd all come to live with her? 

I liked the Sabrina/Mickey story line - I think those two characters are the best and the actors really play well off of each other.  I agree that Alba's B plot fell flat - relatively good concept, but it could have been so much better.

I'm wondering how they are going to deal with Sabrina going off to college.  I have no idea where the show is supposed to be set, so is it near Yale?  Or will they come up with some implausible reason for Sabrina's only option to be the local community college where she has to live at home?

Yes.  They are in Connecticut, which is also a small state.

On 4/28/2017 at 3:46 PM, Phishbulb said:

He was also in the family-oriented film "Middle School: The Worst Years of My Life", which came out last year. In fact, his costar in that movie was the same kid who played the object of his bromance in the previous week's episode. "The Mick" is kind of a 360, subject matter-wise, from their roles in that movie, haha. 

So it's exactly the same subject matter?

Mickey and the gang take a trip to New York City and discover that Jimmy is flourishing at an investment firm. While chatting with the firm's partners, Mickey sings Jimmy's praises in hopes that they will give him a promotion. Meanwhile, Chip visits his biological father.

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 2:51 PM, iMonrey said:

Sabrina and Mickey becoming fascinated with the mixed cleaning solution colors was spot-on accurate.

The pattern on the wall moving was accurate too. I had a ceiling with sparkles when I tried LSD about 20 years ago and the sparkles came down and formed galaxies and in that instant I knew Frank Herbert was tripping when he wrote Dune.

Now I want some, but it's only the kids who can get it.

• Love 3

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/the-mick/270279/the-mick-creators-on-chip-s-new-father-and-trying-to-enrage-their-audience

According to this interview, Jimmy is back for good. I felt like I was the only one that wasn't freaking out that he was gone, but he is definitely needed for the show. I do feel like Alba, Sabrina, and Ben haven't got much to do this season and hopefully one of those characters replaces Chip next season (if they get a third season) in getting the main B plotline while Mickey and Jimmy's relationship assumedly continues to be the main plot. Chip's dad storyline seemed to really go nowhere for me throughout the season.

I actually liked last week's episode a little more, but this was still a really good episode. The last five minutes were kind of touching at least for this show and both Scott and Kaitlin were fantastic. I've really been impressed with how great Kaitlin's acting is on this show. She doesn't really get many opportunities on Always Sunny to showcase it. Scott's acting is impressive too, especially considering he does more writing than acting.

• Love 3

Gods, I hope we never see Chip's dad again. Just, ugh. And I liked Sabrina's role here, cause she was basically voicing my thoughts on the guy. She is best used in small doses. The only other time I enjoyed her was when she had to give Ben all of the talks.

Yay, Jimmy. But, yeah, what Thrifty said.

I too found the end scene with Jimmy and Mickey touching. She's got more range as an actress than I would've thought.

• Love 1

Exhibit A and Exhibit B

That's only 42 days apart....

Reminds me of that time they killed off Brian on Family Guy.  The replacement was there for, I think, only 3 full episodes.

This must have been an intentional tease from the beginning.  Production schedules are too tight to turn things around that quickly.  Although I guess they could have shot a different ending pretty quickly.

I hate this kind of mind game, and I'd probably stop watching if not for my insane crush on Kaitlin Olson (she's a great comedic actress too, but I've given up on a lot of other shows with good stars).

I think there's been too much Chip. Last season I adored Ben. I found his storylines hilarious but also really disturbing, so much so that I worried about the young actor that plays Ben and wondered about his parents allowing him to take on such a role. This season it seems like they have cut way back on Ben's behaviors but that's left a big hole in the cast that they've been trying to fill with Chip, who is fine in small doses but I don't enjoy him in a larger context. Is Sabrina related to Chris D'elia? I didn't find any direct connection except they seem to have originated from the same part of the country, New Jersey. Originally I thought for a hot second they might be married which grossed me out to no end because Chris D'elia grosses me out to no end.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, TresGatos said:

Is Sabrina related to Chris D'elia? I didn't find any direct connection except they seem to have originated from the same part of the country, New Jersey. Originally I thought for a hot second they might be married which grossed me out to no end because Chris D'elia grosses me out to no end.

No.  They actually have similar names, but she was born with the last name Black-D'Elia and as far as I can tell, that is her maiden name.  If she marries some man and hyphenates her last name with his, that will be one mouthful of a name to say.

Weirdly though, next week's scheduled episode is an episode that was produced 2 episodes before "The Divorce", which means it'll probably be another episode that will be odd to watch because it won't be following any of the events that have happened in the last 4 episodes.

They'll pick back up with episode 14, "The Church", on February 6th.

1 hour ago, TresGatos said:

I think there's been too much Chip. Last season I adored Ben. I found his storylines hilarious but also really disturbing, so much so that I worried about the young actor that plays Ben and wondered about his parents allowing him to take on such a role. This season it seems like they have cut way back on Ben's behaviors but that's left a big hole in the cast that they've been trying to fill with Chip, who is fine in small doses but I don't enjoy him in a larger context. Is Sabrina related to Chris D'elia? I didn't find any direct connection except they seem to have originated from the same part of the country, New Jersey. Originally I thought for a hot second they might be married which grossed me out to no end because Chris D'elia grosses me out to no end.

I totally agree about Chip. He can tolerable in very small doses, but they are just giving him way too much to do and I find myself tuning out at his plots for the most part. Reading the post show interviews on Den Of Geek with The Chernins and they seem to see Chip almost on the same level of Mickey in terms of importance. They mention Chip more than any cast member actually. I don't get it, he's probably the least interesting character. I feel half of the supporting cast has been underused in a way this season with Ben, Alba, and Sabrina not getting a lot to do for the most part and all three are far funnier than Chip imo.

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, Phishbulb said:

Weirdly though, next week's scheduled episode is an episode that was produced 2 episodes before "The Divorce", which means it'll probably be another episode that will be odd to watch because it won't be following any of the events that have happened in the last 4 episodes.

They'll pick back up with episode 14, "The Church", on February 6th.

Grrr.... Why can't they air the episodes in order?

When chaperoning Ben’s school field trip to a trash dump, Mickey and Alba discover that an unfamiliar young boy made his way on the bus back. The two work together to return the lost child but make it extremely difficult for themselves along the way. Meanwhile, Chip and Sabrina take advantage of Colonel’s status as a veteran, only before it comes back to bite them.

How did Jimmy even have access to the penthouse or even know about it? If Sabrina was deliberately keeping it a secret from Mickey, I doubt she'd have told Jimmy about it. Even if he'd found out about it, how did he get into it? 

I came back to say Fula Borg! I love Fula Borg but had talked myself into believing it wasn't him until I re-watched with my spouse who insisted it was and looked it up to prove the point. I love Fula Borg and could stand more Chip if he was in Fula Borg's German class.

Edited by TresGatos
Moved part of this to the appropriate thread.
  • Love 1

Also...Jay Mohr as Chip's strip club Daddy? I didn't understand that. The whole concept I mean. So Poodle and Mr. Poodle started out poor and stayed poor for quite a while? Poodle was a stripper before she met Mr. Poodle and later had an affair with the strip club owner because of? Why? It made more sense that Chip's father would be some random rich dude from the country club. I would have liked it more (mohr?) if Chip's dad had been played by the Michael Rapaport (who played Frank Stump on My Name Is Earl) and Jay Mohr was cast as his father, Chip's grandfather, who could have been a horny old dude hitting on Mickey. I think the actor who plays Chip and Michael Rapaport look something alike and the energy level would have been better while still keeping the creepy dude factor.

The phone calls to 911 with both Alba and Mickey trying to disguise their voices then accusing each other of being racist was hilarious. But it seems like they made a huge problem out of something they didn't have to. All they had to do was call the cops and hand the kid over the minute they found him on the bus. It wasn't their fault he got on without them seeing. I mean  . . technically maybe they were in charge of the field trip as chaperones but it's not like Mickey ever wanted the job again. She wouldn't have gone to jail for it.

Mickey: "They'll deport you."

Alba: "I am a citizen."

Mickey: "They don't care any more."

Alba: Oh, that's true.

• Love 2

Both of the racist impressions had me rolling. Very funny episode. Kaitlin and Carla are magic together. Best use of Alba this season too. She's a really funny character that has been on the backburner for the most part this season.

• Love 1

Mickey and the gang accompany Alba to church, after she admits she may have a substance abuse problem. When she invites her priest over for Sunday football, the Pembertons take a liking to him. Meanwhile, Ben questions his belief in God, forcing Jimmy and Sabrina to guide him.

On 1/18/2018 at 1:02 PM, Thrifty said:

Grrr.... Why can't they air the episodes in order?

It didn't really end up affecting much. The only thing I can say is that watching "The Dump" right after "The Matriarch" would kind of make more sense, as "The Matriarch" is the episode where they first get the Colonel. 

I was worried for a while during this episode.  The last time a Kaitlin Olson character interacted with a priest, it did not end well for the priest.

I liked the 'A' story with Mickey/Alba/Chip, but I hated the 'B' story with Jimmy/Sabrina/Ben.  It didn't make sense why two atheists were so concerned about making a child believe in God.

I was also a little worried that they were gonna go for some child molestation angle the way Chip was so enamored of Father Zack. 

I liked the episode, but found the ending kind of abrupt.  It doesn't really make sense that Alba and Chip gave up on church so easily.  Seems like the writers just did it because they had to maintain the status quo.

• Love 2

I wasn't feeling this one, but Jimmy dressed as God tackling an on fire Mickey was hilarious and saved the episode. The show is usually great for one incredible sight gag even during a mediocre episode.

• Love 1

I was also a little worried that they were gonna go for some child molestation angle the way Chip was so enamored of Father Zack. 

Yeah me too. In fact I kind of expected them to go there just to get rid of Father Zack. They at least acknowledged the problem the Catholic Church has had with priests, though - when Mick went to see the older priest and said there was a problem and he immediately got this "Oh no" look on his face until she said "Oh no - not a kid problem." LOL.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Thrifty said:

I liked the episode, but found the ending kind of abrupt.  It doesn't really make sense that Alba and Chip gave up on church so easily.  Seems like the writers just did it because they had to maintain the status quo.

This.  I would have preferred it if Alba and Chip had stayed involved in the church as a background thing, with Father Zack showing up every now and then just so that Mickey could be super annoyed by it.  

• Love 1

I don't get why Mickey was so perturbed by Father Zack in the first place. 

Is Jimmy now back as a regular? What was the point of making it look like he was off the series, just to bring him back?  In the episode where he returned I thought it would be interesting with the "new" Jimmy, but now he's just the same old Jimmy again. 

• Love 1