Type keyword(s) to search

The Mick - General Discussion

TheRabbi
  • Start Topic

On 10/17/2017 at 7:45 PM, incandescent said:

I thought for sure Sabrina was about to get Carrie'd. What actually happened to her was pretty legend-making, though.

She kind of did.  Among other things, the pig blood did rain down on her at the end of her tirade, I think.  

I enjoyed this episode and laughed aloud several times.  Sabrina's personality was weird, though.  I know she's never lacked confidence but she's usually pretty self-aware and subdued, isn't she? 

I don't know why I find Ben so funny.  

I'm pretty sure even in a gated community you're allowed to have parties.  The thing you probably wouldn't be allowed to do is live in your shell of a burnt mansion, without repairing it, at least the outside.  This show isn't really about reality, though.  I'm glad they're in the mansion and not hotels.  The mansion is funnier.  

When Mickey finds out Ben takes medication to keep him focused, she is determined to prove that he is a perfectly functioning kid without it. She and Alba take over his struggling science fair project, but become overly invested, while Jimmy helps Chip make his secret boys club cool again.

I really love this show.  That was an amazing episode and funny too.  I rewatched the second half last night waiting for Bob's Burgers and despite it being the second time I watched in only a few days, it was still hilarious.  I really hope this show can survive this season.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 10:09 AM, Winston9-DT3 said:

I'm pretty sure even in a gated community you're allowed to have parties. 

Yeah, I don't get what the security guard was getting at with this unless his objection was to the fact that it was actually a high school party with alcohol.  But, he never said that so it made no sense to me either. This was my least favorite episode so far of this season.

21 hours ago, Matt K said:

I really love this show.  That was an amazing episode and funny too.  I rewatched the second half last night waiting for Bob's Burgers and despite it being the second time I watched in only a few days, it was still hilarious.  I really hope this show can survive this season.

Unless the ratings take a huge nosedive, it should get a third season. Ratings are better than Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Last Man On Earth, and New Girl at least. Fox probably wants a few live action sitcoms and New Girl/Brooklyn Nine-Nine are close to ending.

Edited by jurkas28

Eh, I don't know. There were some bits I liked, like Chip shooting his friend in the shoulder with the crossbow and the blood spurting out when they pulled the arrow out. And Alba is always good for a laugh. Still, I sort of feel like I'm just watching this out of habit more than anything else. It comes on before Brooklyn 99, and there's nothing else on at the time, so I watch it waiting for Brooklyn 99 which is far superior. 

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Eh, I don't know. There were some bits I liked, like Chip shooting his friend in the shoulder with the crossbow and the blood spurting out when they pulled the arrow out. And Alba is always good for a laugh. Still, I sort of feel like I'm just watching this out of habit more than anything else. It comes on before Brooklyn 99, and there's nothing else on at the time, so I watch it waiting for Brooklyn 99 which is far superior. 

I watch it because I'm a big fan of Kaitlin Olson.  I honestly don't know if I'd be watching it if not for her.  A good star can't guarantee an enjoyable show (see, for example, Ghosted), but it sure helps.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Thrifty said:

I watch it because I'm a big fan of Kaitlin Olson.  I honestly don't know if I'd be watching it if not for her.  A good star can't guarantee an enjoyable show (see, for example, Ghosted), but it sure helps.

That's why I watch too, but I think it's been a really good show. Carla Jimenez, Scott McArthur, and the little kid playing Ben being hilarious were nice bonuses. I do think the show does lose a lot of energy when Kaitlin isn't on screen and usually the plot she isn't in kind of drags for me. Like tonight, other than the kid getting hit with the crossbow the Acorn Boys plot was kind of eh. I don't find the kid playing Chip funny and it feels like he gets the most screen time of the cast besides Kaitlin.

Edited by jurkas28
  • Love 2

Mickey and the kids go to great grandmother Rita Pemberton's 100th birthday celebration at her huge mansion. Mickey takes advantage of Rita when she discovers that Rita believes Mickey to be an old friend, but later learns that their friendship was more than just platonic. Meanwhile, the kids' grandmother, Tippy, gives the family an unexpected surprise.

On 11/8/2017 at 0:59 PM, iMonrey said:

Yeah I think I'm done. Last season had a narrative and a purpose, and was mostly hilarious, but the writing this season is just not as sharp. Alba is unecessarily obnoxious, and the show is relying too much on gross-out humor. Kaitlin is great and the I love the character of Jimmy, but otherwise I've lost interest.

I still get happy when I see a new ep on Hulu but it seems to have gone downhill from last season.  Maybe it's that the shock humor isn't shocking anymore.  As soon as I saw the crossbow I said, "Oh, great, someone's getting shot."  

OK I have to admit, I about lost it when great grandma exploded at the end. Totally did not see that coming. Didn't see the lesbian thing coming either so when Mickey woke up and Rita was on top of her that was pretty funny too.

So I guess that get to stay in that nice house now, but I still don't get how their expenses work. Where do they get money to buy food and pay utility bills?

• Love 2

I get that the shock and gross out humor might not be for everyone, but I thought this was an hilarious episode. The Mickey/Rita plot had me in stitches. The other two plots kind of felt like padding, but the main storyline was so good that I didn't mind. I lost it multiple times.

• Love 7

I laughed my head off when the great grandma blew up, and then felt like a bad person.Then I laughed again. That happens a lot with this show. 

Maybe having the new house and their comatose grandpa around will give the season a bit more momentum. 

• Love 3
18 hours ago, jurkas28 said:

I get that the shock and gross out humor might not be for everyone, but I thought this was an hilarious episode. 

That kind of humor usually isn't for me, but I enjoy the hell out of this show. It just does what it does extremely well. 

• Love 1

Mickey and Jimmy bring the gang back to their hometown of Warwick to celebrate the retirement of Jimmy’s high school baseball number and discover how much of a big shot he was. When they meet up with old friends, Jimmy learns that Mickey may have had a hand in ruining his chances at a professional baseball career. Meanwhile, Chip and Sabrina find themselves in a pickle with some spoiled Warwick teenagers.

On 11/15/2017 at 0:26 PM, iMonrey said:

So I guess that get to stay in that nice house now, but I still don't get how their expenses work. Where do they get money to buy food and pay utility bills?

Yep.  Wondering that, too.  They get Grandpa.  They get the house.  But they can't keep the manservant guy?   Is Alba supposed to do everything (and yet nothing at the same time)? 

Sabrina's relationship with her poetry teacher has Mickey concerned, so Mickey takes matters into her own hands and humiliates the both of them in front of her peers. Meanwhile, Chip enlists Jimmy's help to improve his ranking on the 8th grade hot list.

Seems like no one watched this episode. While it was more serious than most episodes, I liked the Jimmy/Mickey storyline and I thought Kaitlin and Scott MacArthur delivered some good acting. The Chip b plot was kind of silly and jarring, but I'm starting to expect that at this point. Carla Jimenez didn't have a lot to do, but her facial expressions kill me. I thought the moment at the end with Mickey finally breaking from her refusal to apologize and Jimmy finally standing up for himself and turning her down was some good character development for both. I'm interested to see how this storyline plays out.

• Love 2

I am finally getting to this. Alba grates on my nerves in every episode. I'm not sure why she is even there since she doesn't clean the house, barely takes care of Ben and is perpetually drunk. 

Jimmy has grown on me so much, especially this season. This episode was good. I love the kids' faces when he said he went to Stanford. LOL to his jersey number! 

• Love 1

I'm at the point now where the only ones I find funny are Alba and sometimes Chip. Sabrina has always been a cold fish and I've never found her funny, and Mickey and Jimmy  are just too over the top or something. The only part I really laughed at was Alba saying she'd slept with Edward James Olmos and Mickey not believing it, and you hear Alba say, almost under her breath, "It looked just like him." She's really the only one I find consistently funny. I didn't find anything especially funny about Mickey sleeping with the poetry teacher and her escalating obsession with proving it. I mean, Sabrina is awful, but Mickey is awful too, so whose side am I supposed to be on?

I still think the show is really good, but I find Chip really unfunny and intolerable at this point. I get the character is supposed to be grating, but it's just not funny and I'm usually ready to switch to something else when it's time for his B plot. Mickey and Alba are probably my favorites at this point and I love their interactions together. Both of their facial expressions and line deliveries are so great. I think Sabrina is not a very funny character, but the actress nails the bitchy character and attitude. Ben is great, but hasn't got a lot to do this season. I really like what they've done with Jimmy this season and making him kinder in a weird way.  Only character I don't like is Chip.

I liked last night's episode a lot. This was the best usage of Ben since the prison episode and he was really funny. I love seeing Kaitlin play crazed and Alba had some funny lines. The continuity was kind of weird with Jimmy still with them and talking to Mickey after The Homecoming, but I think Fox screwed up the episode order or something.

Edited by jurkas28
  • Love 2
34 minutes ago, jurkas28 said:

The continuity was kind of weird with Jimmy still with them and talking to Mickey after The Homecoming, but I think Fox screwed up the episode order or something.

Yeah, this is weird. Two episodes were flipped, but it doesn't seem to have affected much.

"The Homecoming" was episode 206 in production order, and "The Matriarch" was episode 207. 

I'm kind of blanking on whether Jimmy was with them when they visited the great grandmother in "The Matriarch". He's credited with being in the episode, so I guess he was? I don't remember him figuring into the plot much.

At any rate, episode number 208 is missing from the schedule. Perhaps they're saving it for next year? If so, then the ending of "The Homecoming" doesn't seem to have gotten much of a resolution. "The Teacher" was 209.

The description for next week's episode (210) includes the line 

Spoiler

Mickey and Jimmy re-examine their relationship

so maybe they're going to pick up this storyline then. 

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Phishbulb said:

Yeah, this is weird. Two episodes were flipped, but it doesn't seem to have affected much.

"The Homecoming" was episode 206 in production order, and "The Matriarch" was episode 207. 

I'm kind of blanking on whether Jimmy was with them when they visited the great grandmother in "The Matriarch". He's credited with being in the episode, so I guess he was? I don't remember him figuring into the plot much.

At any rate, episode number 208 is missing from the schedule. Perhaps they're saving it for next year? If so, then the ending of "The Homecoming" doesn't seem to have gotten much of a resolution. "The Teacher" was 209.

The description for next week's episode (210) includes the line 

Reveal hidden contents

Mickey and Jimmy re-examine their relationship

so maybe they're going to pick up this storyline then. 

Jimmy and Mickey didn't interact at all during The Matriarch. He was with them when they visited the great grandmother, but he had a subplot with Sabrina.

On 11/29/2017 at 4:22 PM, iMonrey said:

I'm at the point now where the only ones I find funny are Alba and sometimes Chip. Sabrina has always been a cold fish and I've never found her funny, and Mickey and Jimmy  are just too over the top or something. The only part I really laughed at was Alba saying she'd slept with Edward James Olmos and Mickey not believing it, and you hear Alba say, almost under her breath, "It looked just like him." She's really the only one I find consistently funny. I didn't find anything especially funny about Mickey sleeping with the poetry teacher and her escalating obsession with proving it. I mean, Sabrina is awful, but Mickey is awful too, so whose side am I supposed to be on?

Something about this episode felt kinda weak.  I kind of hate Sabrina.  She seems like one of those women who thinks being slutty is inherently empowering.

I could never be objective on this show as a whole.  My deep and hopeless crush on Kaitlin Olson means I will love almost anything she is in.

• Love 1

Maybe I was just in a good mood but I really liked this one, and that's coming from someone who's been kind of souring on the show of late. I enjoyed all the stuff with Chip but I also liked where Jimmy and Mickey went. Her attitude towards him has always been strange and ill-defined so it was nice to see it addressed. I got a kick out of the running gag of Sabrina being left to explain all the "adult" stuff to Ben, too. LOL on their father's new teeth. I'm guessing we'll be seeing more of Chip's new father and sister.

• Love 2

the scene in the bar with the puke beer....we had to turn that off for a minute, it was just too gross. this show will go there, every time.

Wasn't Mickey banging some other guy just last week? I just always figured Jimmy and she were FOBs, tho there is a LOT of history there, clearly. How do they explain him staying in the house now, if they are no longer that?

3 hours ago, luna1122 said:

the scene in the bar with the puke beer....we had to turn that off for a minute, it was just too gross. this show will go there, every time.

Wasn't Mickey banging some other guy just last week? I just always figured Jimmy and she were FOBs, tho there is a LOT of history there, clearly. How do they explain him staying in the house now, if they are no longer that?

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/the-mick/269482/the-mick-creators-explain-that-radical-cast-departure

Sounds like Scott MacArthur is leaving his on screen role and sticking to just writing for the show.  The show's been kind of messy with continuity but it would be weird if this character that's been a big part for 1 and a half seasons just disappears without notice. I actually didn't like Jimmy at first, but he turned into a great character and Scott's going to be missed. I'm  watching the show to see Kaitlin Olson do funny things, so I'm still gonna tune in every week but it might be a bit of a transition.

The Chernins also said in another interview for the episode the reason they put last weeks episode on between The Homecoming and The Divorce is that they wanted to separate the more serious bummer episodes with a goofy one.

Loved last nights episode. All three plots were funny and interesting. I thought Kaitlin and Scott's acting was great in the final scene.

Edited by jurkas28
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, jurkas28 said:

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/the-mick/269482/the-mick-creators-explain-that-radical-cast-departure

Sounds like Scott MacArthur is leaving his on screen role and sticking to just writing for the show.  The show's been kind of messy with continuity but it would be weird if this character that's been a big part for 1 and a half seasons just disappears without notice. I actually didn't like Jimmy at first, but he turned into a great character and Scott's going to be missed. I'm  watching the show to see Kaitlin Olson do funny things, so I'm still gonna tune in every week but it might be a bit of a transition.

The Chernins also said in another interview for the episode the reason they put last weeks episode on between The Homecoming and The Divorce is that they wanted to separate the more serious bummer episodes with a goofy one.

Loved last nights episode. All three plots were funny and interesting. I thought Kaitlin and Scott's acting was great in the final scene.

oh man. that makes me weirdly sad. I hated Jimmy at first, but I LOVE him now, and have kind of a crush on Scott MacArthur. I wonder why this decision? I hate it. That sucks.

• Love 1

I think Jimmy could easily be an every-third-episode type of character.  If they were going to write him off, they should have either have him die in spectactular fashion or have to run off to some foreign country to evade the law for an incredibly stupid thing.

The puke scene was a bit much for me.  My other issue with the show is that almost every episode someone is getting the crap beat out of them.  It gets awfully graphic for a sitcom, and I could do without that.

1 hour ago, chaifan said:

I think Jimmy could easily be an every-third-episode type of character.  If they were going to write him off, they should have either have him die in spectactular fashion or have to run off to some foreign country to evade the law for an incredibly stupid thing.

What they did was what TV Tropes calls "Put On A Bus", meaning they wrote the character out in an easily reversible way.  Your suggestions would be much more permanent and thus a bigger commitment.

• Love 1

Jimmy really came into his own as a main character this season. The show is going to suffer from losing him. Especially, I suspect, the Chip storylines.

Speaking of Chip, I suspected way back in Season 1 that his father was that guy at the golf club who seemed to actually like hanging around him. Guess I'm oficially wrong on that. Oh well. Not really sold on New Dad yet, but I'm down for more of New Mean Hot Sister. She and Sabrina need to meet somehow and get a rivalry going.

I can't usually de-gross myself enough to laugh at puke scenes. This time I did. Holy crap, so nasty though.

• Love 1

I'm assuming it's not MacArthur's choice to downgrade to 'writer only', because why would he choose that?  I didn't like Jimmy much in season one but now I do.  Did the actor lose weight or something?  He used to just seem gross but now he's even kind of cute.  

It makes me wonder if Rob McElhenney will be written in as a love interest.  It seems odd to me Olsen has this hit show and he's not doing much, when they worked successfully together for so long on Sunny.  I wonder if the plan all along was to add him in down the road, when the comparisons to Sunny died down.  Because Mickey is just Dee in a new environment, for the most part.  If Rob M. had been there from day one, I wonder if people would've written it off as a copycat and not bothered to give it a shot.  I have no idea if they'll bring him in, just wondering aloud.  Mickey will have to have men in her life.  Maybe it'll be a revolving door like Mindy had.  

MacArthur wasn't the original choice for Jimmy. He was brought in as a replacement for Nat Faxon who you can see playing Jimmy in the original trailer for The Mick. He was always a writer for the show, but from interviews I've read from him he seems to prefer writing to acting.

Rob's supposed to start the Minecraft movie at some time next year and writing Season 13 of Sunny, so he should be busy. I like this show as an showcase for Olson without the guys since as much as I love Sweet Dee she probably gets the least amount of material of the Sunny cast (especially in the last couple seasons).

Sabrina decides to throw a get-together with talented artists in order to impress them. After learning that Ben's new friend has a celebrity mom who loves art, Mickey decides to co-host the event in order to sway her. Meanwhile, Chip goes on a spontaneous camping trip with Howard.

Since they used a real celebrity with her own name I had to go look up and see if Jennie Garth really has a son named Totsie. She does not. She has three daughters. I always appreciate when celebrities have a good enough sense of humor to play fictionalized versions of themselves like this.

• Love 5