Type keyword(s) to search

The Mick - General Discussion

TheRabbi
  • Start Topic

I think they said only a percentage of the assets were frozen and they still have multi millions available to them.

That doesn't really make any sense, but assuming the family still has access to a fortune and that Mickey no longer expects Alba to do her job they should hire other servants. 

And really, all Mickey had to do was point out that if she leaves, the kids will either wind up wards of the state and be placed in foster homes, or else wind up with another crappy relative like their grandmother. They were desperate to have her back after just one day with their grandmother, it should have dawned on them what their alternative was.

• Love 2

That last scene cracked me up! Loved the father/son reunion! They didn't really plan that well, did they? Poor bunnies! I am glad I don't actually take the show seriously. Oh, and this is the second time that I can recall where Chip fantasized murdering someone. These kids need help.

• Love 3

I did not find the death of the rabbits at the hands of Ben amusing whatsoever. I know this is just an absurd sitcom but that really bothered me. There's nothing funny about animal abuse. I think the show thought it was OK because it was just rabbits and wouldn't go that far with a dog but I still found it shockingly un-funny.

I do love, however, that the fed sitting outside their house watching them has fallen for Mickey and helped the other two plot the demise of Ramone. 

• Love 6

Yeah, I'm probably ridiculously oversensitive to animal deaths, even the fictional kind, but I did not find the bunny deaths funny at all. And the fact that nobody explained his actions to Ben (presuming he doesn't actually know) and just let him sacrifice rabbit after rabbit, and possibly the dog too...Not funny. Didn't enjoy.

Also have no real idea why all those guys would be interested in Mickey. At all. Tho she does have great legs.

• Love 3

Poor bunnies! Just because they're not dogs, that doesn't mean I'm ok with them all dying. The plot would have been funnier if Ben just had a pet rabbit who died of natural causes or accidently, and Sabrina and Alba try to tell him that his bunny died without breaking his heart.

I did think the Mickey stuff was pretty funny, with all these guys being in love with Mickey, including the fed (oink oink)! The "father/son" reunion was just great.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, luna1122 said:

Also have no real idea why all those guys would be interested in Mickey. At all.

Yeah this. I was wondering if I'd missed a bunch of episodes (which I have) but it seemed so bizarre.  

I feel the same way - I was so bothered by the bunny plot that nothing else in the episode struck me funny. And then with the puppy. I was so on edge that something horrible was going to happen I couldn't pay attention to anything else going on. I've consistently laughed out loud at this show, and look forward to it, but I think this one was a total misfire.

• Love 1

Yeah, the kid killing bunnies, getting replacements,  and nobody telling him how to treat animals was wrong in so many ways. 

In nearly every episode, there's something really wrong about how the youngest kid is being raised, but this crossed a line for me. Letting a child kill animals isn't funny.

• Love 1

Was that the season finale?

My biggest problem with the bunny storyline is that Alba kept throwing the little bastards in the bin. She should hit up epicurious; there are many delicious and delightful ways to dispose of a murdered rabbit.

• Love 2

yeah, it's not just about animals being killed, for me.  It's about the lack of adult responsibility for that child.  In a previous episode he was watching back-to-back R-rated horror movies.  He was told by his brother to lick a hot grill.  I cant remember what else.  He's being neglected. 

Now, he's being given pets without anyone showing him how to treat an animal, he's handed a pet like it's a stuffed animal, so he, of course, treats it like a stuffed animal.  He's either going to grow up to be a sociopath, or he's going to be racked with guilt when he realizes that he killed numerous pets.  

I know it's a fictional show.  But child neglect and animal abuse are not good topics for comedy.

• Love 2

"This week, on a Very Special episode of The Mick, Ben explores his gender identity." Not really! We knew Alba had a great voice back at the party they crashed, but, WOW, I was so annoyed when they cut her off here! I loved the whole 'exploring diversity" thing the older kids and Alba were doing! The feigned interest just to score points with Mickey, who probably couldn't care less anyway. The ending was cute, with the girls' school building a bigger wall, Mickey's own plan backfiring on her.

• Love 2
(edited)

Ummm Sabrina doing Biggie, Ben in a schoolgirl uniform?

"...as diverse as a Jimmy Buffet concert."  LOL

Ben doing the curtsey was hilarious.

Edited by urusai

That was probably my favorite episode yet! Its kind of hard to talk about diversity or gender identity and still be funny, without coming off like an asshole, and this totally worked here. Loved Chip and Sabrina attempting to have more diversity in their lives (with Chip as the White Guys are So Discriminated Against person, and Sabrina as the Oh My God I'm so Liberal On Instagram person), but still don't know Albas last name by the end of the episode. So funny. And, damn, Alba has a great voice! Musical episode?!?!

Ben is such a little cutie. I really help he gets to a therapist at some point though, because his upbringing has been pretty weird lately.

Its kind of easy to forget, because Kaitlin Olson has gotten famous mostly for playing drunken lower class losers, but she is in awesome shape. And she has kids!

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Its kind of easy to forget, because Kaitlin Olson has gotten famous mostly for playing drunken lower class losers, but she is in awesome shape. And she has kids!

I think Olson and Allison Janney should play mother/daughter in something. They're both unconventionally attractive, with similar facial features and long, lean bodies, and they both do that  funny but drunken lower class loser thing so well.

• Love 6

I love this show but this one really bothered me with the whole snitch mish mosh for poor Ben.  I'm starting to wonder if they are showing the series out of order like they did firefly and the b in apt 23. The one with the guy with lung cancer living in the tree house seems like the best finale with someone saying "hey, this kid is a good kid but you're treating him badly!  Raise him better! Take care of him!" After showing all the neglect he's gone through.  End on a "hmmm we have been igniting this little kid who just wants his criminal drunken parents home.  

I think this episode did highlight a dilemma white people have as fans of hip hop or rap. For the past almost 20 years now, some of the biggest songs in pop culture include a word which is not to be said ever yet in order to sing the song what do you do?  Do you omit the word?  Substitute another?  Even the African American community is split on the issue with some saying it is ok to sing along but others saying never.  Should it be treated like an actor repeating words from a script because they are not using their word themselves but only as part of a performance?  Just because some actor in a play is getting paid, is that any different from someone doing kareoke and singing a song?  Neither wrote the lyric/script nor are they directing it any one.  So many conflicting messages.  Me personally I wouldn't have said it and I grew up listening to NWA, BDP, Easy E, Dr Dre etc where sometimes that word is used more than any other.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, Unclejosh said:

I think this episode did highlight a dilemma white people have as fans of hip hop or rap. For the past almost 20 years now, some of the biggest songs in pop culture include a word which is not to be said ever yet in order to sing the song what do you do?  Do you omit the word?  Substitute another?  Even the African American community is split on the issue with some saying it is ok to sing along but others saying never.  Should it be treated like an actor repeating words from a script because they are not using their word themselves but only as part of a performance?  Just because some actor in a play is getting paid, is that any different from someone doing kareoke and singing a song?  Neither wrote the lyric/script nor are they directing it any one.  So many conflicting messages.  Me personally I wouldn't have said it and I grew up listening to NWA, BDP, Easy E, Dr Dre etc where sometimes that word is used more than any other.

Is it a dilemma? You're not being scored for accuracy. You omit the word. I always do.

• Love 2
(edited)

Deleting my previous post because it is hard to discuss such issues online without coming off in a bad light even with the best of intentions to try and learn so I will just say I absolutely agree omit the word.  Dilemma was definitely the wrong word choice as if it is some real issue.

Edited by Unclejosh
  • Love 2

When it seems as though Chip is getting scammed by a girl he met online, Mickey tries to teach him how to be a "wolf" vs. a "sheep." Meanwhile, Sabrina is scared that her boyfriend is beginning to mirror Jimmy's ways and she plans an intervention.

I'm not sure where to put this so let me know if I need to move it, but it just occurred to me that since they are both Fox properties WHATIF this show is Sweet Dee acting on a TV show. The characters are similar enough without being identical. Am I crazy??? Can anyone else see this?

• Love 1
(edited)

Watching the repeat of this episode last night, I was reminded that nothing that occurred at the end of this episode was ever really resolved. The episode ended with Sabrina thinking she was pregnant, her boyfriend Kai proposing to her, her saying yes, and then Sabrina finding out she wasn't really pregnant. However, Kai asked her if she still wanted to get married and she said yes. Kai hasn't been seen again since this episode. 

Also, the episode sort of ended with the possibility that Micky might get pregnant because she and Jimmy had been having a lot of sex and Ben switched her birth control pills with candy. That I can understand them dropping as a storyline, but the way the episode ended (with Jimmy saying "I'm gonna be a dad!" -cut quickly to credits) seemed like they were going to continue it. 

They have played fast and loose with airing the episodes out of production order ; the next episode after this that was filmed was "The Country Club", followed by "The Master", "The Balloon", "The Fire", and "The Snitch", even though that's not at all how they aired. The puzzling complete disappearance of Kai as a character without explanation is rather strange though.

Edit:  Wow. I'm gonna spoiler this for anyone who wants to be surprised, but 

Spoiler

The next episode, "The Wolf", which is going to air on March 21st, features the reappearance of Kai. The plot description for this episode says "Sabrina is scared that her boyfriend is beginning to mirror Jimmy's ways and she plans an intervention". So apparently Kai has still been Sabrina's bf all this time without them ever really mentioning it on the show.

Edited by Phishbulb
On 3/1/2017 at 9:35 AM, NorthstarATL said:

We knew Alba had a great voice back at the party they crashed

One reason for this being like this is because this episode was the third episode recorded and was supposed to go between "The Grandparents" and "The Buffer" (the Sabrina having sex episode). It was recorded really early on during the filming of the series. Not sure why it was held onto for so long before airing, although maybe the plotline of a little boy being made to wear a dress and pose as a transgender student was one they knew was going to be controversial? 

So yeah, by the time that Alba sings "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" with the stoners in "The Mess" (the 10th episode filmed), that would have been an intentional running joke, if it had aired in the correct order. 

• Love 2
On 3/2/2017 at 4:20 PM, vibeology said:

Is it a dilemma? You're not being scored for accuracy. You omit the word. I always do.

I'm just fortunate enough to have developed a hatred for the genre of music that uses those words! Problem solved!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, justjen said:

I'm not sure where to put this so let me know if I need to move it, but it just occurred to me that since they are both Fox properties WHATIF this show is Sweet Dee acting on a TV show. The characters are similar enough without being identical. Am I crazy??? Can anyone else see this?

The only problem with that idea is that it's been pretty well established that Sweet Dee is a TERRIBLE actress.

(Unlike Kaitlin Olson who is an amazing actress.)

I just knew the latch on the sauna door was going to pay off eventually, but poor Kai. Just when he was focused on his future too. I love how this show takes the usual trope of the streetwise character imparting life lessons to the naive over-privileged and turns it on its head. Mick was basically wrong about everything. Love the slapstick as well. It's cartoonish violence, and it's so over the top that I laugh inappropriately. That scene at OTB.

• Love 7

She totally was! I kept waiting for the 'wow, I was so wrong' moment that never happened. Which I'm glad about, since we don't see that very often. I was SHOCKED that they killed Kai. I kept saying, 'is he really dead? like, for real? dead?' So un-sitcom-y.

• Love 1

I'm not so sure Mick was actually wrong about Julia (Yulia?) - she didn't stick around long enough for us to find out if she was genuine or not. Even if she really liked Chip I still think she was there primarily to take advantage of him. He was showing her around his mansion and showing her all the fancy cars his parents owned when they were Face-timing. 

Another dark ending though. RIP Kai - we'll miss your pecs!

21 hours ago, NorthstarATL said:

I just knew the latch on the sauna door was going to pay off eventually, but poor Kai. Just when he was focused on his future too. I love how this show takes the usual trope of the streetwise character imparting life lessons to the naive over-privileged and turns it on its head. Mick was basically wrong about everything. Love the slapstick as well. It's cartoonish violence, and it's so over the top that I laugh inappropriately. That scene at OTB.

I was impressed with the way he figured out that she was not a Wolf, but a bottom feeder.  She takes stupid risks for very little reward and that is not a plan for success. 

I also do not understand why Chip is so desperate with women.  The kid is totally cute and a lot of girls his age would totally be crushing on him.  I know that he is a bit of a jerk, but if Justin Bieber's popularity is any indicator, being a jerk does not seem to matter with the tween set, if the guy is "dreamy".

Totally shocked with Kai's death. I was thinking if you forget about the parents abandoning the family, everyone has a very cushy life, laying around this big mansion and driving fancy cars.  I wonder if the show will actually show the family losing everything and how awful it will be for the kids?  It does not skirt around dark issues.

• Love 1

The tables are turned when a cyber bully targets Sabrina, leading Mickey to come up with a plan for revenge. Meanwhile, Jimmy teaches Chip and Ben how to be self-sufficient, resulting in a painful disaster.

16 hours ago, qtpye said:

I also do not understand why Chip is so desperate with women.  The kid is totally cute and a lot of girls his age would totally be crushing on him.  I know that he is a bit of a jerk, but if Justin Bieber's popularity is any indicator, being a jerk does not seem to matter with the tween set, if the guy is "dreamy".

I think the actor who plays Chip looks like a young version of Nick Kroll.....lol...he is interesting looking but I don't know if I would describe him as "dreamy" necessarily.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Phishbulb said:

I think the actor who plays Chip looks like a young version of Nick Kroll.....lol...he is interesting looking but I don't know if I would describe him as "dreamy" necessarily.

I just googled Nick Kroll and I do not see it, but it did make me laugh thinking of him as "dreamy". 

Maybe I think the kid is a cutie, because I love red hair and therefore would have been someone I might have had a crush on, at that age.  YMMV

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 2

I think Chip is a little strange looking, frankly. He's got big bug-eyes. You also have to remember that what's "cute" to an adult isn't necessarily cute to another kid. The fact that his parents fled the country could also make him a pariah among his peers.

• Love 1