Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Light Up the Runway

I'm going to give these kids a pass on this one because it was another arts and crafts project and they only got one day to do it and I didn't really like anyone's design this week.

I think Molly got robbed again. I was surprised A'Kai went home so soon after getting the TGS, but his was the worst. But he's only 13, he has lots of time to improve. 

Izzy (sprout head) needs to calm down. Her shrieking and dramatics in the workroom are annoying. 

• Love 14

I've written my name on lots of things. Heck, my Mom wrote my name on items of clothing when I went away to camp. I had no idea that I was "branding". Poor A'Kai has suffered from being overpraised for mediocre achievements. He seems a nice kid, but he's competing outside of his weight class. The lighting thing was done on Senior Runway earlier this year, and was not any more illuminating there.

• Love 14

I loved Chris's look. Didn't much care for anyone else's. Tieler's sort of. It was well made and had a kind of interesting design.

I think it's Chelsea who is so dramatic. After she was safe there was a bit of drama in that waiting room. I often mistake her and the plant head girl - is that Izzy? Truthfully, this ep was boring and I nodded off a few times. I just barely managed to stay awake for the runway show.

Another arts and craft project is right. I'm sick of those. And they sent the right person home. He should have been sent packing eps ago. Tim should also not be allowed to use his save for anything but the fashion. To save A'Kai because of the bullying was a nice gesture but he really didn't belong there. I would have been ok with Kawwaa going too. Her dress was a mess with all not on purpose raw edges.

• Love 5

This was definitely kind of a meh episode... I'm okay with the winner because he was creative with the lights and I also liked the blue patterned dress... but I so don't know these kids names this season. The rest were pretty boring and many not well made.

I was fine with the elimination, either of those bottom two could have gone home.

I still stand by my theory that they are trying to phase out the Tim Gunn save without technically making it go away. the earlier he uses it the less it matters, and that's fine with me. I dislike the TG save as a thing that has to happen every season. I don't mind Tim standing up for something that is very, very amiss with the judging... but to do it every season has made it sort of pointless and even the kids admitted that it made them not try as hard since they all assumed they could be saved. So good riddance TG save. Nice try A'Kai, you've got a lot of time to get better at design!

• Love 3

First time in a very long time that I've really agreed with the judges and the elimination.  I wasn't super crazy about Chris' look, but it did walk well on the runway and the lights made it look very interesting.

I was pretty underwhelmed by Hawaa's look - I didn't like the overcoat - and she had a lot of unfinished edges.  The whole look was sloppy to me.  And, I know she's just a teenager, but she kind of creeped me out when she and A'Kai were waiting to see who was eliminated.  I don't know-she just was shooting death rays with her eyes at all of the judges - very scary-angry, imo.

I think I liked Molly's look best and Tieler's second best, with Chris being third.  I liked the way Molly used the lighting effects in her dress, and I thought her dress was well made.

I felt bad for A'Kai, but it was time for him to go.  He just couldn't figure out how to get out of his own way.  His look was good in theory, and I liked that he designed something floaty and ethereal - I just wish he was able to execute it the way it should have been executed.

And, although she drives me crazy at times, I am really warming up to Kelly Osborne this season.  She is a very understanding judge, and her critiques are well thought out, and given with the most respect possible to the contestants - she really, seriously doesn't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

• Love 11
25 minutes ago, njbchlover said:

And, although she drives me crazy at times, I am really warming up to Kelly Osborne this season.  She is a very understanding judge, and her critiques are well thought out, and given with the most respect possible to the contestants - she really, seriously doesn't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

I am not usually a fan of Kelly Osbourne in other places/shows/whatever, but I do like her on this show. She is not mean spirited (though I do not think any of the junior judges are), but she does seem to work well with the kids.

I have to admit that I liked that the judges were all over the place with each design. They were very split on all of them.

I agree that it was A'Kai's time to go. I did feel bad for him though. I do think he is probably a better designer outside of this competition. I think the whole competing and time limit thing was not for him. 

I preferred Tieler and Molly's designs. I thought Tieler's was simple, but the placement of the lights was well thought out. His designed looked complete and not rough like some of the others. Molly's look was well made. I liked how she used lights with the print of her dress and I liked the design of the dress. Molly does seem to always send well made designs down the runway, even her first challenge dress that was not that good seemed well made.

I did not mind Izzy's look. I agreed with the judges that the flap on the jacket was not a good idea, but I liked that it was a more casual look than the others.

Hawaa seemed to have construction issues. I kind of liked the look, if the coat was removed. I liked that she intended that the lights be their own pattern and that is why she did not use a print.

I did not like Chris' look. The prints did not work for me together. I thought he was going to be in the bottom. Perhaps, if he either used either the dress or the jacket prints with some solids I could get behind it more. I like mixing prints, but did not feel the two worked well together. Though he said they work because he put them together, so I guess I am wrong.

Tieler is probably my favorite overall designer, but I do not really mind any of them.

• Love 3

I used to be a performer at a night club so I'm not going to lie - I was super excited about this challenge! But realistically I was pretty sure that the finished designs were probably going to look more like bad Burning Man costumes than the gorgeous dress Claire Danes wore to the Met Gala. Some of that was due to which lights the designers chose.

Even though I'm glad that Madison Maxey was there to help the designers, I wish they had done a basic tutorial with everyone first to show everyone the difference between the lights/their effects/their properties, the best way to use them, ways to hide the battery packs, etc. On a shallow note, I wanted to poke Madison between the shoulder blades because her hunched over posture was almost hurting me to see.

In some seasons, I love the workroom footage. If not for the workroom, we never would have had Santino gems "What about Andrae?" and the "Light up, it's just fashion!" song. There have been seasons where the workroom scenes bored me or annoyed me (too much bitchiness) but this week in the workroom was fun, mostly due to Chris and his remarks. Hawwaa is lucky that he told her that her fabric choices plus the lace looked like a sofa from the Golden Girls. Hilarious that Tim said that the lavender color reminded him of the Golden Girls too!

Loved this exchange:
Chris: Would you rather have a wild amazing romance with Zac Efron for three months or find an okay decent guy to spend your whole life with?
Allie: Um, I'm fourteen. And I'm busy right now.

As Tim told the designers, the looks were supposed to be interesting both with and without the lights, but not many of them fulfilled both requirements (and in some cases they didn't provide even one interesting look).

I did not like Chris's look. The material he used for the jacket with those multicolored circles looked like something a toddler girl would wear. If he was only going to use one color for the lights, I wish it had been anything but that red which didn't show up very well in the jacket. I would have gone with white or blue. What I liked the best was how he used the lights in the holes of the jacket fabric.

Cartier's look had a very 80s vibe, so I guess kudos to the hair and makeup people for that touch. Her dress was very basic, as were the simple blue lines of el wire.

The best part of A'kai's design was the lighting beneath the draped cape in the back which was very ethereal. The dress itself was very simple and the two strips of lights diagonally across the front were pointless. It looked even worse up close when the judges were examining it. The construction was so messy looking.

I couldn't believe Izzy was so proud of her design. To me, using the lights to spell out her name and draw shapes on the jacket was very immature. The lights on the skirt looked like Ursula's tentacles. But I had to laugh when Tim asked Izzy what the skirt would be made of and she said, "Um, my hopes and dreams?"

Tieler's dress was, as Tim pointed out in the workroom, VERY simple. It was a plain black dress. If you're going to do that, then the lights had better be amazing. At least he used the el wire to create a pattern in different colors. How could Hannah say that the dress fit the model like a glove? When the model turned around, it was really obvious how puckered the zipper was all the way up and down her back. And there was no lighting at all on the back.

I wasn't crazy about Allie's pink top and floral skirt. The lights were a disappointment because it looked like she just had a glowing blue pocket.

Chelsea's black dress (was it a faux wrap?) looked like it didn't fit the model very well. The best part was the train with the blue lights. The stripe of lights at the waist and on the sleeves was very basic.

I liked Hawwaa's outfit more than some of the others. At least she made something that wasn't a plain dress. She used a couple different colors of fabric which I appreciated. I wish she hadn't done stripes of lights under the skirt.

I liked Molly's dress. I liked the blue patterned fabric she chose and the dress looked flattering on her model. I also liked the way she used her lights. Instead of just adding a strip of lights like most of the other designers, she created a glow under the skirt that looked really cool.

I was fine with A'kai being sent home. His construction skills as well as his design skills were both pretty weak. I would have chosen Molly as the winner. Hers was the only one that looked good in regular lighting and with the outfit lit up.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
Place is not the same as lace
  • Love 6
39 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Even though I'm glad that Madison Maxey was there to help the designers, I wish they had done a basic tutorial with everyone first to show everyone the difference between the lights/their effects/properties, the best way to use them, ways to hide the battery packs, etc.

I wish they would have done that, too. 

I think the right one went home, but I disagreed with the judges about his time management. I don't think he focused on the wrong thing- he needed to make the LED work- he just took longer to figure it out. Hence a tutorial would have been great so they could focus on design.  His final comment about Chanel, with the wipe of the tear, is probably my favorite contestant departure ever.

Izzy- I really appreciated her approach, because it sounded like she wasn't just trying to brand her work she was responding to/playing with the idea that they have to brand themselves. That word has become kind of normal, it was nice to see her tackle the concept with just her name as a reaction against having to embrace other labels when defining oneself as a designer.  I could be reading into it too much, but that's half the fun of it, right?

I wish there were a little more balance in the editing. They're still able to exclude certain contestants almost entirely, which kind of signals how the show is going to end. 

• Love 2

The only one of these that seemed to fit the challenge and be attractive was Molly's - very well finished and something a young girl would like to wear.

Tieler's dress was cute too, but I really didn't see much of a difference between the illuminated and normal lighting, so wasn't quite as impressive.

I really did not get Chris's look at all.  Those patterns were just awful together and the mix of textures didn't help. I don't see how that could have won.

I really liked the overall flow of A'kai's dress as it moved down the runway.  I agree that he needs a few more years to develop, but I think he has it in him if this experience doesn't totally destroy him. I think if he had stayed any longer he would only continue to underwhelm the judges, so best that he be gone now.  I would love to see whatever designs he had that got him a place in this competition. 

Actually, I would like to see that for all the contestants - is there someplace that shows their earlier work?

• Love 3

Warning: beating of a dead horse ahead...

Why limit these designers to ONE DAY tasks?? They could still air the desired # of episodes and endless ads if they did a few simple things. Reduce the # of contestants to 10.  Give them 1 day "Quick Zip" challenges (a la Top Chef Quick Fires) to test skills/techniques. The "loser" of that round could be saddled with some disadvantage if TPTB need manufactured drama. Give them 2 day challenges to really showcase their talent (or lack of).  Edit out the snipping and non-sewing related chit chat. Cut down the time spent showing them running around Mood (sorry, Swatch I do really love ya!). Stop repeating the following every single week;

* the intro to permanent judges - guest judge/sponsor intro only.  Tim needs no more introduction or explanation of his role

* rehashing the product placement task before, during and after the clothes hit the stage - "you were asked to..." THEY KNOW!

* the  damn runway rules - someone is In, someone is Out. Got it. In fact we all got it Season 1, Episode 1

* the prizes - yadda yadda free makeup, free sewing machine, cash...

• Love 12

I think Molly got robbed again. I was surprised A'Kai went home so soon after getting the TGS, but his was the worst. But he's only 13, he has lots of time to improve. 

I actually think A'kai was robbed (not of the win, but of staying); Izzy's was so bad. Seriously, there was no less crappy-looking way to spell out her name on the back? 

I know she's a young kid and all, and that being documented by a camera probably magnifies personality characteristics (especially if the kids are self-conscious or nervous), but man oh man is she annoying! Adorable...but annoying.

Why limit these designers to ONE DAY tasks?? 

I hate that. I want to see the result of good work, not rushing (same goes for Ink Master!). Of course, there needs to be a time limit (and, OK, for some challenges, maybe a race-against-the-clock scenario would be exciting) but generally, how about a nice middle ground somewhere between headless-chicken freakouts and tra-la-la-la-leisurely?

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, BusyOctober said:

Warning: beating of a dead horse ahead...

Why limit these designers to ONE DAY tasks?? They could still air the desired # of episodes and endless ads if they did a few simple things. Reduce the # of contestants to 10.  Give them 1 day "Quick Zip" challenges (a la Top Chef Quick Fires) to test skills/techniques. The "loser" of that round could be saddled with some disadvantage if TPTB need manufactured drama. Give them 2 day challenges to really showcase their talent (or lack of).  Edit out the snipping and non-sewing related chit chat. Cut down the time spent showing them running around Mood (sorry, Swatch I do really love ya!). Stop repeating the following every single week;

* the intro to permanent judges - guest judge/sponsor intro only.  Tim needs no more introduction or explanation of his role

* rehashing the product placement task before, during and after the clothes hit the stage - "you were asked to..." THEY KNOW!

* the  damn runway rules - someone is In, someone is Out. Got it. In fact we all got it Season 1, Episode 1

* the prizes - yadda yadda free makeup, free sewing machine, cash...

It's not the number of days the designers have for a challenge that affects the length of the episode. As we have seen on Juniors and regular PR, the episode length is the same whether the designers have one day or three days. 

The cost issue is that if all the challenges are 2-3 days (rather than one day), that increases the production cost because the crew has to be paid while they're filming. They also have to pay for the designers' lodging, food, etc. for all of those extra days.

I'm making up ridiculously low numbers for the sake of simplicity but let's say there are ten designers and they do one Day challenges all season. That's actually two days of production (work day plus the runway show). Let's say production costs $10,000 per day (like I said, this is just for the sake of simplicity). That's $200,000 to shoot ten one-day challenges. If you make them two day challenges, that increases the cost to $300,000.

As for the product placement and prizes being repeated, yes, it's annoying but that's how the show gets free stuff, reduces their overhead costs, and rewards the winners. The sponsors don't provide these things out of the goodness of their hearts. They do it for the exposure and advertising so the show has to repeat these things every freaking week. If they didn't have all those sponsors and the show had to pay for shoes, accessories, etc. then we would probably end up with two hour challenges!

• Love 11

I think I'm going to have to start watching with the TV on mute unless Tim or one of the judges is talking. Like, the word like, is like, driving me insane. A couple of the kids are able to finish a sentence without saying it half a dozen times but, I find myself counting the likes every time one of them is talking and can't concentrate on anything else. Here's an idea for a challenge: We'll give you a budget of $500 and 3 days to design whatever you want if you can complete the task without using the word like.

I'm also warming up to Kelly this season. 

• Love 5

I'm confused about the prize of complete sewing/craft studio (which I'd kill for)! I assume it's just the gear (because I doubt they're building a room for you, haha!) but what if you don't have the space in your home for it? How heartbreaking!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2

From the recap:

Hannah arrives, wearing a dress from Old Navy's July 4th collection...

So spot on and awesome!  That sucker was probably on the Clearance rack for 5.00.

So I just started watching this season because a friend convinced me that I would love it because of the talented kids.  It has been quite the opposite with me so far - - - the kids all seem to be trying so hard to be entertaining for the cameras.  But I do love the way they're supportive of each other and that Golden Girls criticism probably saved Hawaa's ass.  She should thank Chris profusely.  And my hardened, cynical heart melted a little when A'Kai was trying to be so brave--"I don't need a hug."  Awwwwwww!!!

Also really appreciate the way Tim and the judges don't baby the kids.  Tim's vocabulary remains as robust as ever.

• Love 3

I was waiting for someone to make a ball gown and get criticized for it being a big fat gypsy wedding dress.'

I'm also going to join in beating the dead horse. This episode and the designs could have been awesome if they had been given two days.  They needed a tutorial on the lights before sketching and going to Mood.  Speaking of Mood I was tired so I'm not sure if I  missed Swatch or he wasn't on. 

• Love 2

I'm confused about the prize of complete sewing/craft studio (which I'd kill for)! I assume it's just the gear (because I doubt they're building a room for you, haha!) but what if you don't have the space in your home for it? How heartbreaking!

Those sewing/craft studios are often modular.  Put a couple pieces in the kid's room, another couple in the basement. 

This is my first time watching Project Runway Jr. -- It's fun and light for me. I believe they chose kids for the show based on their personalities to increase the interest level.  For example, if they were all Tyler and Molly, they would just get down to business and work quietly.  Chris is the one who gives attitude and I think I actually will just watch to see what he comes up with next.  The little hissfit during his personal critique by the judges was hilarious!  

The judges are great!  I love Christian Siriano, and Kelly Osborne is interesting but the third judge reminds me so much of Nina in a way!  

Anyhow, I have no idea yet who will win.  There are 3 or 4 I can see winning at this point.

• Love 1

In the Butter London studio the makeup artist chatted about "Come to Bed Red" lipstick. Perfectly appropriate for a kids' challenge! (Of course the kids aren't in the room for this format, but it still struck me as icky)

• Love 4

I'm not liking this season as much as the first. I didn't think any of the kids did a great job of incorporating the lights but they probably didn't know how to. My thoughts about having two days: It almost always results in the designer (adult or junior), rethinking their concept and starting from scratch. I have watched every single episode of Project Runway and the second day rarely makes a difference. It would make a difference if they had a week, but you are not going to see that on this kind of show. The judges are not looking for perfection, they are looking for original ideas and decent execution. I think they already give the kids a lot of leeway, lots of unfinished wonky hems, lots of gluing etc. 

I liked the dress Molly (I think) made, and the rest were just ok. The right person went home. I don't think the Tim Gunn save means much in the long run. The person the judge chooses to go home is always subjective anyway (as is fashion), so it doesnt matter to me Tim decides to let the person continue on. Count me in as the rare person who still prefers adult Project Runway and the perhaps rarer person who doesn't agree the juniors have better ideas or better sewing skills than the adults. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Or, don't have the extra money to pay the taxes due on the prizes?  (Didn't Jay Carroll or someone decline the actual "gift" prizes because of that?)

• Love 1
2 hours ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

Those sewing/craft studios are often modular.  Put a couple pieces in the kid's room, another couple in the basement. 

NO WAY, HAHA! I need "like with like"! I'm actually battling this kind of thing in my lovely but a bit less spacious than I'd like condo.

Edited by TattleTeeny

I agree with everyone who said that the kids needed a lesson before even starting. I don't know if that would have added that much more time to the challenge but I do think a basic lesson would have been beneficial and it needed to happen first, before sketching, before shopping or anything else. When they did bring Madison Maxey into the room one of the kids (Izzy, I think?) immediately pulled her over for a question and I think that was very smart because the earlier you can get feedback and potentially course correct, the better. I do wonder why A'kai didn't ask her about the battery pack since that probably would have saved him considerable time.

None of the designs blew me away. I do think Chris had the most dramatic change from regular clothes to lights and that's why I don't mind his win, but I didn't think either the clothes or the lights were particularly strong. He just had the biggest wow when the lights went off.

I did think  Molly's look was nice but I also think hers is one of the few examples where time (rather than time and knowledge) was the only thing holding the look back. Even with another hour or two, I do think she probably could have done more with the lighting in the skirt to make it even more of a wow. Tieler probably could have put a couple light "seams" on the back of his with another couple of hours too but as presented both were strong but not exceptional looks, to me.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, njbchlover said:

(Didn't Jay Carroll or someone decline the actual "gift" prizes because of that?)

IIRC Jay Carroll declined parts of his prize because it would mean that he didn't own any rights to his creations.  
More recently car leases were declined because of worries that when the lease ended,  the scratches, etc. would have to be paid for.   Again, IIRC Jeffrey donated the car he won to his favorite charity;  then ...about Lexus time....the car awards were one year leases, not the car itself.

• Love 2

I don't know how Molly didn't win. Her dress was lovely both with and without the lights (though I didn't like the lights at the neck very much, made me think of a dog collar) and the way she wove the lights into the bottom of the dress was lovely. Chris' was a mess to which heat has been applied, aka, a hot mess! Not as hot a mess as whatever that was that Hawaa sent down the runway. It looked like a sheet that got cut short and was tied to her waist with a giant tie with some weird ass sheer raincoat over it. I thought Izzy's jacket was clever but that skirt!!!! And I keep forgetting that girl with the really long blonde hair is on the show. Every week I watch and I go "oh, I forgot about her". Poor thing.

None of these outfits were great, but then again, I doubt these kids have ever worked with LED design and they were only given a day, so I blame the show, not the designers. I would love to have seen what they could do if they had been given a class in LED design and then two days to do some finishing on their work. I'd say at least half these designs looked rushed and unfinished.

• Love 2

This group isn't particularly talented.   In fact, I'd say they are particularly untalented.

It was a whole lot of nothing coming down that runway.   With lights.

Oh look, my post has my name on it.    I'm branding.

• Love 6

Kelly Osborne calling something brilliant is like The Elephant Man telling us of physical beauty. English or not, have the education of a spare tire. Simma dow, nah! Was happy Tyler made something not shaped like a potato sack.

Izzy is awful. The whining is relentless. And instincts tell me there's likely a reason why  most clothes have the brand on the front, not the back. "I'm not interesting, but this plant on my head once was, sort of." Take away the lights and her outfit was something Michael Meyers would slaughter babysitters in. 

• Love 2

Kelly Osborne calling something brilliant is like The Elephant Man telling us of physical beauty. English or not, have the education of a spare tire. 

Wha'? Both are entitled to their opinions regarding how something looks, no?

• Love 7
2 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Wha'? Both are entitled to their opinions regarding how something looks, no?

Evidently someone who is ugly can't understand beauty and someone with a unique personal style can't know anything about fashion.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, dleighg said:

In the Butter London studio the makeup artist chatted about "Come to Bed Red" lipstick. Perfectly appropriate for a kids' challenge! (Of course the kids aren't in the room for this format, but it still struck me as icky)

If they'd had the wit to change it to "Go to Bed Red," it would've fit the dynamic perfectly.  Not to mention be a piece of advice several contestants could use.

• Love 1

Molly should have won.  She had a lovely, well-constructed dress with lights that made sense.  

Chris's was just fugly as hell.  No idea how he won.  Maybe the judges were all drunk.

As much as I like Tieler, his dress was dull and I didn't like how the lights just were just stuck on top.

Maybe Izzy can design for kids, I'd be embarrassed to wear that as an adult.

I can see where A'kai was going but it was a construction nightmare.  Tim's save was wasted on him, he should have stayed home two weeks ago.

• Love 1

Yeah, this is not gotta see teevee like it was for me last year. Upon watch of this episode (which was just now because I had a really sucky work schedule last week), I realized I had NOT seen the episode of the week before, but the recap at front of this one was fine with me.

Definitely do not get some of Chris' fabric choices/ combos, but I do see why he won, or I think I do: because with lights on it was a weird jacket over a long dress but with lighting off, the red lights he chose outlined pants. So he really made the lights do something. Was that it?

I liked Molly's the best.

Even though I'm not sure how I feel about Hawaa's looks, I thought Cartier (really?) should have gone for using basically 2 rows of lights on an 80s dress. Maybe she was safe because the dress itself appeared to be well constructed.

I like A'kai, but I thought his interactions with the other designers were pissy after his loss. Maybe he really thought he had let Tim down and was super disappointed in himself, but I thought he seemed more like he really thought he shouldn't go. But then I was surprised when Tim saved him in the first place, having never seen in him the promise everyone else seemed to see. He IS 13/ 14 though so he has lots of time; just don't think he was ready for the show this go round.

I hope Izzy goes soon. The plant on the head is just too twee for me. I don't mind enthusiasm but hers is a little disruptive to others, which I DO mind.

I think it's Chelsea who is so dramatic. After she was safe there was a bit of drama in that waiting room. I often mistake her and the plant head girl - is that Izzy? Truthfully, this ep was boring and I nodded off a few times. I just barely managed to stay awake for the runway show.

Chelsea and Izzy are both drama queens. Everything is expressed in over-the-top hyperbole at the highest possible decibel. But they're teenagers, so hopefully they'll grow out of it.

38 minutes ago, Nidratime said:

Chelsea and Izzy are both drama queens. Everything is expressed in over-the-top hyperbole at the highest possible decibel. But they're teenagers, so hopefully they'll grow out of it.

To be fair to Chelsea, most of her dramatics seem to be saved for the talking heads rather than in the workroom. Izzy is the one who seems to freak out more in front of others (last week with her day to night dress fabric for example.) I'm not going to hold those interviews against the kids since you know there's an adult producer there egging them on for good footage. Chelsea is loud and over the top but mostly in private which doesn't distract from anyone else in the workroom or in the waiting room. 

• Love 1
20 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Just who the hell goes to bed in lipstick...much less back to bed with red lipstick?

I don't believe the contestants ever actually wake up or go to bed with a camera aimed at them.  So I think I'd have makeup on for all my on-camera reenactments, too.  I don't recall the scene, though.

1 minute ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I don't believe the contestants ever actually wake up or go to bed with a camera aimed at them.  So I think I'd have makeup on for all my on-camera reenactments, too.  I don't recall the scene, though.

This was in reference to the makeup artist choosing "Back to Bed Red" lipstick, which I remarked was (IMHO) inappropriate for a kids' challenge. Not that the kids had any choice in the matter.

Oh!  Haha.  The makeup names are usually ridiculous these days.   They must've been proud of that one to mention it.  

I'm happy it's Butter London and not Mary Kay, at least.  They have the ugliest colors and do the poorest makeup jobs.