Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E12: Off the Grid

MyAimIsTrue
  • Start Topic

After Gibbs spots the brother of an "NCIS Most Wanted" suspect, he immediately assumes his former alias and goes undercover with their infamous anti-government militia. Also, Bishop and Reeves partner on an off-the-books investigation.

Oh man..Mark rocked it tonight...couldn't really follow it all that much..but I want a flashback with a younger Vance and Gibbs.....

What was the book Gibbs had on his nightstand? Something about the Sensitive Male...

I love "chatty Gibbs"...

• Love 6

I was really bored with this episode for the first half. Glad it picked up. I did like that the bad guy in the end was worried about his family before anything else and seemed to be trying to get his stuff together. Not sure what the whole plate thing played into all of this. Can someone enlighten me?

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, laredhead said:

I like the "new" Gibbs too.  Intrigued by the info that he was supposed to be having dinner with his 2nd wife.  Have we ever seen her?

Yes - Jeri Ryan. We first met her when Diane and she ambushed Gibbs at a crime scene - right before Diane was killed. IIRC, she's the ex who cheated on Gibbs and the reason he hates cell phones (i think). She came to visit him in that ep to invite him to her wedding. (to the guy she cheated on LJG with)

I forgot her name, so when they mentioned he had talked to "rebecca," I got all excited that it was the lawyer I still ship. But a not-so-quick wiki google tells me her name is Carrie. I guess I can't be the biggest shipper if I can't remember her name....

1 hour ago, stonehaven said:

Oh man..Mark rocked it tonight...couldn't really follow it all that much..but I want a flashback with a younger Vance and Gibbs.....

What was the book Gibbs had on his nightstand? Something about the Sensitive Male...

I love "chatty Gibbs"...

I kept waiting for the punchline to be that it was Fornell's!! 

I was waiting for the jerkface in the diner to be important. But alas, he was just a douche. 

I know that not everyone loves Quinn, but what I do like about her is that 1. there's no UST with Gibbs (1a. She's not afraid of Gibbs and acts more as an equal) and 2. she's older and has the experience. I like that she was able to chime in that she remembered the case from when she was in Philly.  

I feel bad for saying this, but Ellie bugs. So much so that I didn't feel any pity for her.

36 minutes ago, marina to said:

Not sure what the whole plate thing played into all of this. Can someone enlighten me?

I'm not sure that it did other than breaking it got to give Abby a chance to perform another miracle. Maybe it was a way to introduce Quinn's what-I-assume-to-be strained r'ship with her mom...? (lost bracelet story...?)

• Love 5

First a response to a couple of post, then my own thoughts. About people not liking Quinn, there seems to be a lot of them, not as bad as the dislike for Ellie, but bad enough. Is any woman gonna be good enough for this crowd? I always felt that Abigail Borin would have been excepted, but who knows. Me personally, I like Quinn. I like also Ellie now. I have forgiven her for replacing my all time favorite, Zeva.

As to the plate, many of NCIS shows, have short story lines. Remember Ducky's gold clubs, and Tim's jazz album, or the one about Tony's sperm, or Tony thinking that he had inherited millions. These come to mind, and there are many more.

I do have one gripe about last nights show. That is Torres. Let me admit right off the bat that I do not like his character. I think that much of the blame for that, rest with the  writers. It seems that they are trying to have him take over the role of the office clown, and antagonist. Tony was great, Torres, not so much. When he tried to share the credit for getting Ellie flowers, it just seemed pathetic. If NCIS is going to survive past 15 seasons, and I hope that it does, the writers need to fine tune the new characters. They have to be characters that are interesting, and, that we care about. Would like to see more of Reeves, he is for me, the most interesting of the newbies.

One last thing, I read someplace, that this is Ducky's last season. If that is the case, shouldn't we be seeing more of Palmer. Unless they are going to drop the forensics story lines from the show.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, mehstry said:

One last thing, I read someplace, that this is Ducky's last season. If that is the case, shouldn't we be seeing more of Palmer. Unless they are going to drop the forensics story lines from the show.

yes - thank you for reminding me. When is the last time we saw Jimmy?? I'm surprised he's still in the credits! And they're not even trying to come up with an excuse as to where he is.

• Love 1

I don't think it's an issue of the viewers not accepting a woman on the team, I think it's more the casting hasn't been great. I don't see a lot of chemistry with the women they've added post-Ziva.

Borin would've been an exceptional choice, but the actress really screwed herself over - she criticized NCIS New Orleans on their filming safety on Twitter instead of bringing it to the appropriate on-set folks, and I doubt any of the shows will work with her again.

I am still on the Bring Delilah On As The Female Team Member train. The actress has great chemistry with everyone.

I want the team to be Gibbs, Fornell, McGee, and Delilah, with Director Vance, Ducky, Jimmy and Abby involved as needed.

My more out there idea is bringing Zoe Mclellan on as a now-out-of-the-Navy Petty Officer Coates.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, betsyboo said:

I feel bad for saying this, but Ellie bugs. So much so that I didn't feel any pity for her.

Yes.  Usually I like Ellie, but last night she was "off" in some indefinable way.  It didn't seem like understandable, character-appropriate angry grieving, she was just...off.  Maybe if we the viewers had had more than an episode and a half to get invested in her relationship with Qasim we'd be more understanding.

And rowr to Gibbs in a turtleneck, pea coat and jeans.  I wonder if we'll be seeing more of that with the new "sensitive" Gibbs.  Not to mention, what the hell is bringing all this on?  Tony left, and now Gibbs is finding his softer side?  I'm not complaining, I just want it to make sense.

I agree that they need to stop trying to make Torres the new Tony.  It just isn't gelling.  But I have to say, I am unexpectedly finding Wilmer Valderrama very attractive and charismatic when the writers aren't forcing him into the Tony mold.  This bothers me a little, since rumors are he's a total douche in real life.  I've never heard anything but really good things about the other actors on NCIS, so it is like the ending of an era.

But how awesome was how the team caught on, caught up, and joined in the action?  The exchange on the street, Gibbs' misdirection over his new fully backstopped wallet, and the shoot-out in the apartment?   All of that was really, really well played.

All in all--other than the Ellie thing--a very good episode.  We got some character advancement, some back story, and a pretty kick-ass case-of-the-week.  Well done show, well done...

• Love 5

I don't like Quinn because her delivery is not that of a self confident agent. Every line sounds like she's questioning whether or not she's right. She sounds like an afternoon special mom with a misbehaving teenager that she doesn't understand. 

Ziva and the woman from season 1 were both strong and self assured.

Also, I agree that Abby's character is becoming unbelievable.  I'm starting to cringe when she’s onscreen. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

And rowr to Gibbs in a turtleneck, pea coat and jeans.  I wonder if we'll be seeing more of that with the new "sensitive" Gibbs.  Not to mention, what the hell is bringing all this on?  Tony left, and now Gibbs is finding his softer side?  I'm not complaining, I just want it to make sense.

I think that's part of it, but it really started after he was shot and almost died. He finally opened up to his doctor, who then put him in touch with his shrink. I suspect it made him think about his own mortality. Fornell nearly dying also weighed heavily.

But hot damn, did I want to jump through the screen when I saw Gibbs in a turtleneck and jeans!

still not feeling Quinn. I like Jennifer Esposito, but not on this show. Part of it is the writing, sure. But the other part is wardrobe and hair/makeup. I wondered last night if she even owns a hairbrush or comb? Her hair always looks like she just woke up and her clothes are ridiculous.

I also don't understand why McGhee isn't being used more. He's supposed to be the senior field agent now but we see very little of him. Probably has something to do with how large the cast is now, and trying to give everyone a story. All the more reason to cut people.

• Love 1

This was a nice change of pace episode-- there wasn't even a dead body until the 40 min mark! I like seeing Gibbs being an agent like this and jumping back into his undercover identity (complete with limp) because damned if he wasn't going to catch the bad guys. Plus the turtleneck sweater + pea coat?! Yes please. Sign up me for the Mark Harmon Silver Fox Appreciation Society!

I loved the handoff of the wallet once the team figured out what was up-- Gibbs knew he could trust them to do their jobs and they did. Everyone was competent and professional, as it should be. So I highly enjoyed this as a change up from the murder of the week episode.

• Love 10

As to the female characters, I have no problem with Ellie.  My only issue with her at first was I thought they made her too quirky.  I thought they should dial some of that back.  Turns out I think they dialed too much of it back -- she's basically almost a "why is she part of the team?" sort of character.  I still don't mind her though.  At least she isn't annoying. 

Quinn is bordering on being annoying to me now.  I didn't like her freaking out and basically going AWOL in Philly.  I thought her reaction to that dream about Gibbs was pretty darn embarrassing for a seasoned professional agent is supposed to be.  This episode with her breaking the plate also made me roll my eyes.   I like the actress, but I really don't like her character here.  Which gets me to all the new characters.  There have been too many of them introduced all at once.  They all can't interact in most episodes.  Usually one or another has to be left behind.  This time it was Clayton, who had to be summoned to the British Embassy with a meeting with MI-6. 

As with other female characters, I also wish Borin would come back.  But that's been well document as to why she isn't.  I liked Jessica Steen's character, but then of course they killed her off.   I liked Tony's girlfriend who was (I think) with the FBI or the ATF.  But then they dropped her and ended Tony's relationship with her for whatever reason(s).

Getting back to this episode, I liked it.  Had more of an old school feel to it.  It was fun seeing Gibbs doing undercover work.  It was nice to see McGee take the lead with the team in the beginning.  And liked him working with Torres.  It was great to see the team being competent and eventually catching up with Gibbs to work on the mission.  Though you wonder how Director Vance would take it once they all got back.  He probably still isn't too happy to see Gibbs go off on his own like that.

Speaking of which, I thought Rocky Carroll did a nice job directing this episode.  Everything seemed to be paced well and put together.  For me it was one of the better episodes I've seen recently.

• Love 5

Caught the episode last night on demand and enjoyed it so much that it seemed like it lasted more than an hour.  That's the kind of NCIS I want to see, though I wish they'd stop trying to make Quinn happen.  I still can't stand that actress or her delivery.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

I wish they'd stop trying to make Quinn happen.  I still can't stand that actress or her delivery.

This will probably be unpopular, but I kinda like her "chill" delivery in contrast to everyone else who is just so intense.  And, since her original purpose was to observe the team's interactions so that she could better understand what type of person to recommend since Gibbs was rejecting all of her candidates, it fits to me.

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 1:49 PM, HurricaneVal said:

Usually I like Ellie, but last night she was "off" in some indefinable way. 

Agree with you.  I couldn't identify exactly what it was...but she bugged.  Also, don't need another "let's go off the books to take revenge" plot because, you know, she can't get let others take Big Bad down.

• Love 5
On 1/18/2017 at 4:54 PM, catray said:

Plus the turtleneck sweater + pea coat?! Yes please. Sign up me for the Mark Harmon Silver Fox Appreciation Society!

Where can I sign up? I'll join. He makes me swoon!

Just not feeling the noobs at all, though MI6 Agent Reed is yummy, and his character seems more interesting.

Torres is ok, as long as he doesn't try to be the next DiNozzo..

The chemistry between Tony and Ziva was very convincing.  LOVED Ziva, and I hated that they killed her off. I guess the actres wouldn't return for any inducement.

Really liked Borin and another favorite of mine was Diane, but the offed her like Kate. She was hilarious how she played Gibbs and Fornell.

Ellie just annoys me, though I felt rather sorry for her losing her sweetheart. Not her fault, because Ziva was a hard act to follow. Quinn is just "meh". Love me some Mallard and Abbs. McGee now has to be all the personality now Tony and Ziva have been written out.

Seeing Gibbs with his silver grey hair and ice blue eyes made the show for me.

• Love 1

Not a bad episode, especially for this tedious season, but the minute they brought in the older agent and the guy on the screen, I immediately thought " okay, which one is the leak!"   Done a hundred times ( including last week) , is there no one you can trust????   

And agree, should have established more on the relationship before trying to make us care about Ellie and her loss/ revenge.   I wish she was still married , I liked Jake more than Ellie.

• Love 4
On 1/21/2017 at 2:58 PM, Packerbrewerbadger said:

Not a bad episode, especially for this tedious season, but the minute they brought in the older agent and the guy on the screen, I immediately thought " okay, which one is the leak!"   Done a hundred times ( including last week) , is there no one you can trust????   

And agree, should have established more on the relationship before trying to make us care about Ellie and her loss/ revenge.   I wish she was still married , I liked Jake more than Ellie.

So much this. They seemed to pouring it on too much in one episode and then poof! I liked him but didn't grieve as much for Bishop as I would have if we had come to know them as a couple for longer than an episode. A slower buildup would have been nice. Or no buildup at all, as I'm not that interested in her relationships.

And  yea, the leak is just a cop-out plot device, in my opinion. 

Edited by love2lovebadtv
  • Love 2
On 1/17/2017 at 9:07 PM, betsyboo said:

I'm not sure that it did other than breaking it got to give Abby a chance to perform another miracle. Maybe it was a way to introduce Quinn's what-I-assume-to-be strained r'ship with her mom...? (lost bracelet story...?)

I think there was some kind of metaphor there at the end when Gibbs was talking about how he used it, it weakened, which made it easily breakable...and then something else... Made sense to me then, but my brain is fried now, so I forget.

I don't actually dislike any of the characters, but Quinn has failed to grab me. She's a mature, professional woman who ought to have some snap. I like the idea of her, but not the utilization of her.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Quinn has failed to grab me. She's a mature, professional woman who ought to have some snap. I like the idea of her, but not the utilization of her.

This. You summed up my feelings exactly. 

• Love 3
On 1/12/2017 at 5:19 AM, MyAimIsTrue said:

goes undercover with their infamous anti-government militia.

I don't really see Gibbs hanging out at the brother's apartment as being undercover with a militia.