Type keyword(s) to search

Season Two Talk: FFwSB

• Start Topic

I loved the piece with Stacey Abrams. She's a good sport and a hoot! "Please move my couch back where you found it." Hee! Plus, I think Ashley's Olivia Pope impression was good.  (I don't watch Scandal, so if it's a bad impression, I will take correction.)

Just imagine: if health care weren't a for-profit concern in this country, think of all the jobs we could create for people who need care!

• Love 4

I found some very questionable statements in last night's episode.

Sam needs to stop saying the American people chose Trump. She said it like three times in this episode. But it's not true! The PEOPLE didn't choose him, the electoral college did. She needs to make that distinction because it's real. The people's CHOICE was ignored. 

Also, she doesn't think it matters that Trump's insane? Ummm...pretty sure it does. The 25th amendment exists for a reason.

• Love 8

God, I hate that fucking Fight song. It's just an overhyped pop song IMO. Plus, it doesn't stack up well to the show's theme song by Peaches, which kicks ass.

An interesting POV from Samantha about the Fire and Fury book. Very skeptical and eye candy dangly, but it wouldn't be out of step with anything Drumph does. I did however liked that Samantha applied a burn to Bill Maher.

Can we get Stacey Abrams elected to something big? I'll take her any day over Oprah.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Victor the Crab said:

God, I hate that fucking Fight song. It's just an overhyped pop song IMO. Plus, it doesn't stack up well to the show's theme song by Peaches, which kicks ass.

An interesting POV from Samantha about the Fire and Fury book. Very skeptical and eye candy dangly, but it wouldn't be out of step with anything Drumph does. I did however liked that Samantha applied a burn to Bill Maher.

Can we get Stacey Abrams elected to something big? I'll take her any day over Oprah.

We are hoping she wins governor in Georgia. That is a start. Saw her at a town meeting. Very impressive. 

• Love 3

Very satisfying episode. I'm so weary of the 'what about the menz' backlash, but we really do need to keep pushing against it every single day in order for anything to change. 

And the bit where every coal miner has his own personal journalist was a nice jab.

And Sam's blazer last night was a keeper. Which is to say, I want to keep it.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, attica said:

Very satisfying episode. I'm so weary of the 'what about the menz' backlash, but we really do need to keep pushing against it every single day in order for anything to change. 

If you're (general) upset that there's a list with suspect men on it, then don't be on the list.

5 hours ago, attica said:

And the bit where every coal miner has his own personal journalist was a nice jab.

I was going to complain about another butthurt white dude interview, but this was a solid piece. I like how the woman was saying "I wear a hard hat" and the other was like, "there you go."

• Love 5

YES! Sam's take is EXACTLY what I needed! From suggesting "alternatives" for those unwilling or unable to take on the responsibility of fucking a real person, to "no doy"-ing past the question of IF Trump's a racist, and being the first person I've heard actually explain HOW his obvious racism is actively hurting people! The Forgotten Forgotten Man segment was so much yes. I usually appreciate Sam's take, but this episode was on FIRE!

• Love 5

I don't think Sam was defending the anonymous accusations, but saying that, although the Aziz Ansari case could be categorized as "just a bad date" as Banfield was saying, it's too simplistic to say "grow up, you should have just left."

• Love 1

Yes! And to say that you don't have to win the "oppression olympics" to be worthy of sympathy. A "bad date" or "bad sex," even if it's not all-out rape, is still emblematic of the dismissive or disrespectful way many men treat women in a sexual context. Her point, I believe, was that even if you're not a full-on rapist, if you're not willing to check in with your partner during sex, and make sure you are sharing a pleasurable experience, then maybe you're not up to the responsibility of fucking a person.

Couldn't agree more.

• Love 1

Even though FFwSB has now been on air for almost two years, I still marvel at how this woman and this show speak about political and social issues in such a strong feminist voice, seemingly without fear or favour. It blows my mind in the best-possible way. Sam and her writers speak for me, and I LOVE THEM FOR IT. Long may they reign.

On 1/11/2018 at 5:59 PM, ruby24 said:

Sam needs to stop saying the American people chose Trump. She said it like three times in this episode. But it's not true! The PEOPLE didn't choose him, the electoral college did. She needs to make that distinction because it's real. The people's CHOICE was ignored. 

Yes, but as long as we have the electoral college, we have to work with the system.  So that means that people in many states did choose trump, enough for that state's electoral college votes to go to trump.  Yes, more people overall voted for Clinton, but if all those people are split between California and New York, its not going to change things.  Votes have to change in other states.

I truly did not know Miller's history.  And this hateful SOB has the ear of the president.  That is just a terrifying encapsulation of this entire administration.  I ask myself "what the f&^k is wrong with people" on a daily basis.  I do not see it stopping any time soon.  

• Love 5

I truly did not know Miller's history.  And this hateful SOB has the ear of the president.  That is just a terrifying encapsulation of this entire administration.  I ask myself "what the f&^k is wrong with people" on a daily basis.  I do not see it stopping any time soon.

I know. As much as Sam tries to make it funny and somehow palatable, it still depresses me.

• Love 1

The Apology Race was hilarious and awesome, but it also made me cry. The Dreamer who said "This all just proves what I've always feared, that people really do hate us and want us to leave." That is AWFUL. And heartbreaking and embarrassing and there are not enough apologies in the world. 

The family from El Salvador also broke my heart. 

Seriously. F Trump and Miller and their minions. And thank you Sam and co. for helping try to rebuild the many, many bridges that have been broken.

• Love 6

. . . annnnnnnnnnd marking this episode as "Do Not Delete." Sam is awesome, but her correspondents went above and beyond their assigned task. Once again, either FF writers are fans of The Amazing Race, or they did the research. Kicking off at the Perisphere (on my iPad; harder to verify right now) at Flushing was a great touch, because that's where the first season of TAR started and ended.

4 hours ago, angelamh66 said:

I was spoiled on that high school speech from John Oliver. "Holy fuck" still covers that today.

• Love 3

To anyone who's seen the movie We Need to Talk About Kevin, the title "We Need to Talk About Stephen" was esp apt.

During the Apology Race segment, I loved when the one guy (librarian? dictionary expert?) said, "So many words have been skunked!" DT has indeed skunked so many things.

I love Sam's correspondents.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I love Sam's correspondents.

Me, too. They really deliver.

The Haitians were the ones who got to me the most, but I loved all the people they interviewed while apologizing. I'm sure they must have met some less inspiring people, but good job editing it to make me feel some hope for the human race. I need to be reminded that there are actually a fair number of intelligent, funny, thoughtful people who are also not heartless, despite that they actually have quite a lot of reason to be upset. Lately it just seems like the soulless, heartless, hateful, delusionals take up most of the air, and it's really getting me down.

• Love 6
On 1/25/2018 at 4:39 PM, Lantern7 said:

. . . annnnnnnnnnd marking this episode as "Do Not Delete." Sam is awesome, but her correspondents went above and beyond their assigned task. Once again, either FF writers are fans of The Amazing Race, or they did the research. Kicking off at the Perisphere (on my iPad; harder to verify right now) at Flushing was a great touch, because that's where the first season of TAR started and ended.

Yeah one of things that she brought over from the Jon Stewart era Daily Show is that they really sweat the details when it comes to doing parodies. Graphics too! It really adds something when not only is the material itself funny, but there are extra little details for those who are familiar with the original. I think that even when I don't know anything about the source it makes things better since I'm encouraged to pay attention and it probably forces those involved in the writing, editing, etc. to kick things up a notch.

The piece with the diplomat was really good. The fact that the foreign service is so depleted is such a huge issue. So many resigned. These are the people who have the contacts to open back channels and dial down the rhetoric. 

• Love 4