Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E19: The Only Light in the Darkness

• Start Topic

... And the "That bad, eh?" line implied that over the years she has developed respect for her mom, but still would rather go to almost anybody else for support. And while Mom has come to accept that part of their relationship, she isn't above pointing it out.

This is a good observation.

• Love 1
The camera lingered on Skye staring at that skyline picture in the bathroom, so I'd say it's a safe bet that she left a message for her team in there. We know the pictures rotate.

The way she stared, I thought that she'd start teleporting to that location immediately. With the Marvel Universe, anything is possible. Maybe not that, because the X-Men because it's rights are currently owned by Fox.

• Love 1

I guess that I'm the only one who was thinking "Gwyneth Paltrow's head?" when he kept asking what was in the box. That repetition quickly turned into Brad Pitt's voice.

While May is my favorite, I actually like Skye (ducking flying objects) but will lose some of that if she didn't find some way to leave a message. I didn't think any of them had individual phones to text (they were not even supposed to leave) but she had to leave something in the bathroom.

• Love 2

Whenever I see or hear about lie detector machines I have a laughing fit. Absolutely sure Romanoff would beat any machine, these things are as reliable in detecting lies as a good guess is, no matter how many physical factors they're measuring. None of these factors is prove for any lie, just prove for a physical reaction which can be caused by different things. But it made for some nice character moments, that was something.

Supersekrit HYDRA dedicated channel: "RT @bigbadgarrett: They threw me some tricky Qs on my orientation interview, but I TOTALLY nailed it! #worldpeace #hatespatriots"

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 1

I want to know how thet got the penny on the top of the door. Can't figure it out and it's driving me crazy!

I thought it was put into the space between the side of the door and the doorframe when the door was closed.  So when the door is opened, it immediately falls out; if it were on top, there's a chance it wouldn't fall.

Also, I don't think that Skye would assume that Ward killed May, since if he had, May's lanyard would still have been showing up on the tablet like Koenig's did.

Edited by mathewt
  • Love 2

Can't believe how much I enjoyed this episode. At last I can tolerate Skye. I was really sorry to see Patton go though. Loved the brief intro to May's mom (Joy Luck Club reunion!). So May gets her toughness honestly. So relieved Coulson finally got that stick out of his butt. I think I would have liked the cellist more if I didn't dislike Root so much on PoI. Looking forward to seeing Maria Hill take Coulson down a notch or two.

• Love 1

Nice to know that Ward has watched the IPCRESS Files.  It's a classic!
In the IPCRESS Files,

Harry Palmer is able to beat psychological brainwashing by jamming a small piece of metal under his fingernail.  He lets the enemy think he's been turned, but proves later that he's not.

He is not happy with his boss or the agency, however.

I wanted to know what ElectroPowerMan meant when he said that the cellist was the light.  I wonder if her playing could have healed him, but I guess we'll never know...

• Love 1

No likey Agent Patton dirt nap!

But on the other hand, in the guest star department, we traded for Mama May.  Who is made of awesome.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 5

I want to know how thet got the penny on the top of the door. Can't figure it out and it's driving me crazy!

Ward put it there.

Also, I don't think that Skye would assume that Ward killed May, since if he had, May's lanyard would still have been showing up on the tablet like Koenig's did.

She may not have thought that out completely.

• Love 1

Ward put it there.

He put it there after killing Patton Oswalt. Skye put it back when she left.

Edited by Loandbehold
Changing quote boxes
  • Love 1

He put it there after killing Patton Oswalt. Skye put it back when she left.

Yeah, while it wasn't talked out, I kind of saw it just as an alternate to the old door alarm trick with a piece of tape on a door seal (or in crazy fiction they always do this impossible thing with something like a hair, or a piece of string--stuff that in real life would blow away naturally).

• Love 1

And I think the penny served the dual plot purpose of 1) giving Skye the clue that something was up, and that it was Ward who did it and 2) That Skye had pulled herself together enough to put the penny back (and that Ward didn't suspect she was on to him by the end of the episode.)

• Love 3

And I think the penny served the dual plot purpose of 1) giving Skye the clue that something was up, and that it was Ward who did it and 2) That Skye had pulled herself together enough to put the penny back (and that Ward didn't suspect she was on to him by the end of the episode.)

I wonder if it wasn't also the writers being wise asses (look up the phrase "the penny drops".  It means "A belated realization of something after a period of confusion or ignorance.").

Wait.  Do we even HAVE to wonder?  I mean when a pun fits that closely...

• Love 5
Joss has absolutely ZERO to do with this show at this point. More like Jed Whedon.

I actually felt like about the first half of T.R.A.C.K.S. got a quick script pass by Joss - there were more good quips in there than pretty much the rest of the season. But other than that, I agree with this sentiment.

• Love 1

I'm starting to wonder how SHIELD lasted this long given its security sucks. If you're going to run the "most sophisticated lie detector" ever, you really ought to have some idea what to do if somebody fails. While it did remind me (like JHLipton) somewhat of the IPCRESS file, it more reminded me of Baltar's Cylon detector in BSG - of course, there the main problem was Baltar was running a one man operation and was so obsessed with working out the technical aspects that he actually hadn't considered what to do if he actually discovered a cylon. Here, SHIELD has absolutely no justification for not having a procedure in place ("Just step into this room while I tabulate the results...") and then you can control the situation (Lock the door!). Pulling a gun raises a red flag even a myopic hulk could spot.

Izzyboy I am sick of Coulson's hypocritical treatment of May so I hope he really is over that crap.  No secrets with the team...unless Coulson is the one keeping the secret and then its fine by him...

Sarahastro If it gets him to stop acting like a petulant child, I think the episode was worth it.

God, he's been annoying. I get the whole "You've been spying on me!?" feeling of betrayal, but I'm sure Michael Weston would kick your ass for not seeing past that (He voiceovers something to the effect of "Never discard a contact - yesterday's enemy could be tomorrow's ally"). Hopefully he'll turn the corner there, assuming he catches up with May in an episode or two.

Heather Lynn I'm the only one who was thinking "Gwyneth Paltrow's head?"
Dagny Schrodinger's cat is in the box!

Ah, but is it dead or alive? Though Se7en was what I first thought of.

• Love 1

Phil Coulson and Audrey Nathan(Root(Miss Samantha Groves) from Person of Interest), he is her hero. That was very sweet. And he saved her again and she wakes to Simmons. I was surprised her playing would lure Marcus Daniels in. You would think he would know it was a trap? The Bruce Banner designed lights finally worked.

I was surprised that Ward put a wire under his nail to mess up his lie detector test. Agent Koenig almost found it out.

Surprised Skye could handle finding out that Grant killed Koenig. But she has to save herself. Did she leave a message in the ladies room?

May leaving could still be a play to make it look like Coulson is mad at her.

Fitz and Simmons might patch things up. But Agent Antoine Triplett will make Fitz jealous

• Love 1