Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Doll 123/ S01.E02: Ladies In Waiting

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

I guess I am supposed to like poor Victoria who has so scheming relatives. But I simply can't because in this show she is such a silly girl who has no understanding that the Sovereign mustn't do what she likes best but her duty is to do what is best for her country. 

Before all, ulike in The Crown, there is no wider context. All is just personal scheming as if there was no country nor the world.  

• Love 2
10 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

If you are annoyed this early in, you'll really be peeved as you  watch more episodes.

Try not to compare with The Crown, it isn't a fair fight.

Keep calm and carry on.

I am not at all sure if I want to continue.

Just lower your expectations of the show, especially the subplots and minor story lines.

When the drama of the downstairs takes center, it will test your patience.

As I watched Victoria, I kept thinking how pale and diluted the colors of the rugs, the draperies, the background was to the pop and vibrancy of The Crown.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Roseanna said:

Before all, ulike in The Crown, there is no wider context. All is just personal scheming as if there was no country nor the world.  

To be fair, the Monarchy at the time of Victoria is vastly different to now, or even the 1950s. Public appearances were rare, because the monarchy was considered separate to the rest of the country. It wasn't until WWI when the monarchy took on a bigger role in public life and 'duty' became an important thing. So you can't really compare how the monarchy acts in The Crown vs Victoria because of that. 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, doesntworkonwood said:

To be fair, the Monarchy at the time of Victoria is vastly different to now, or even the 1950s. Public appearances were rare, because the monarchy was considered separate to the rest of the country. It wasn't until WWI when the monarchy took on a bigger role in public life and 'duty' became an important thing. So you can't really compare how the monarchy acts in The Crown vs Victoria because of that. 

It's not about public appearences but about the station of a constitutional monarchy and general politics. Victoria's relationship with Melbourne is seen only on a personal level. We aren't told anything about the policy differences between Tories and Whigs, not even anything about the background of the characters.

• Love 4

Loved seeing the contrasts over the 100 years between when Queen Victoria was crowned and Queen Elizabeth II in the Crown.  There's still the red box, but I note it showed V just signing stuff without reading it first.

Obviously, I need to check my history more.  I always thought V got to be queen because of the lack of any other male relatives of the king, and I swore that I saw some show about how everyone was so careful of Victoria getting hurt because she was 'the only heir.'  But apparently  there was other potential familal heirs, and they did allow women to inherit ahead of men, following the line of birth order, that even as the daughter of the fourth son, she got the throne over the fifth or sixth son.  

Lady Flora's tumor reminded me of Queen Mary, who thought she was pregnant, and it too, ended up being a tumor.

4 hours ago, Hanahope said:

Obviously, I need to check my history more.  I always thought V got to be queen because of the lack of any other male relatives of the king, and I swore that I saw some show about how everyone was so careful of Victoria getting hurt because she was 'the only heir.'  But apparently  there was other potential familal heirs, and they did allow women to inherit ahead of men, following the line of birth order, that even as the daughter of the fourth son, she got the throne over the fifth or sixth son.  

Victoria’s father, the Duke of Kent was the fourth son of King George III. The oldest son was King George IV and died without legitimate heirs. The next brother was Duke of York and died without heirs. Third son was William IV and he died without legitimate heirs. The Duke of Kent had died by this time, so his daughter, Victoria became Queen. The Duke had a younger brother. He was Victoria’s heir until she stared to have kids. For succession, you don’t go across the siblings until you go down to the children.

• Love 1