Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E25: Double Jeopardy

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, StatMom said:

Grr, this one's not on Hulu! Did Alex Trebek come to his senses and withdraw consent? Ah well, the Visual Aids to the rescue.

The sad thing is, I watched the next ep on hulu and didn't even realize I missed one until I saw this post. I guess not a lot happened.

The mention of Valerie having a younger sister struck me because, as far as I recall, we never hear about/definitely never see said sister again.  Hey, she and Andrea could bond over that commonality!

Do we think Gabrielle Carteris had already given notice at this point?

The in-person Jeopardy test is actually an audio test like that though! (Or at least it was when I took it, ~8-10 years ago.) They show the question and read it aloud and you just have a photocopied answer sheet that you fill your answers in on. I think it's probably to make it more like the show, where you can't go back.

But Alex Trebek wasn't the voice for the recorded test "answers," it was Johnny, IIRC.

27 minutes ago, Nanna said:

This must be exactly the right place to brag about the BH90210 Jeopardy I made for a bachelorette party many years ago.

Is it the right place to bring up the spirited defense of Yoko Ono as an avant-garde pioneer someone (I) wrote in the Rolling Stone Book of Women in Rock?

Seriously how is the Peach Pit still a functional business? Nat gives out food so freely, at least once an episode when the gang comes in. 

Also ugh.. Jesss. You and Andrea pretty much had a barley relationship before she got pregnant and then you gave her an ultimatum to force her hand to have a baby. So... ugh. Infuriating. 

Our family had an old-school Jeopardy home-edition board game (Mr. Betty White was Allen Ludden... they were quite the game show pair back in the 60s and 70s.) The answers were in blue overprinted with red, and then you slid the page into the "answer board" which had red plastic windows. We had a version of Password with a similar red-blue printing thing going on.

Oh Sarah- it's NOT the Minnesota Twins. They started in 1901. The Seattle Mariners were the expansion team with the Toronto Blue Jays in 1977. (The Jays are my team and I have a talent for useless information.)

9 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Seriously how is the Peach Pit still a functional business? Nat gives out food so freely, at least once an episode when the gang comes in. 

Also ugh.. Jesss. You and Andrea pretty much had a barley relationship before she got pregnant and then you gave her an ultimatum to force her hand to have a baby. So... ugh. Infuriating. 

He probably makes up for it by working 24/7 because his heart attack revealed he had literally NO ONE who could so much as open the diner without him.  Giants Pants had to come out of retirement to do so and then expected everyone to kiss his ass for it afterwards.

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, benteen said:

He probably makes up for it by working 24/7 because his heart attack revealed he had literally NO ONE who could so much as open the diner without him.  Giants Pants had to come out of retirement to do so and then expected everyone to kiss his ass for it afterwards.

You're probably right. But seriously the peach pit is still a thing in the first season of the rebooted 90210,even though some refuse to take it as canon but just with a grain of a salt and Nat is STILL running the place there. So yeah. But still.. 

18 hours ago, Nanna said:

This must be exactly the right place to brag about the BH90210 Jeopardy I made for a bachelorette party many years ago.

Is it the right place to bring up the spirited defense of Yoko Ono as an avant-garde pioneer someone (I) wrote in the Rolling Stone Book of Women in Rock?

It is the right time and place for sure!

2 hours ago, Nanna said:

It is the right time and place for sure!

Oh, Nanna. You are so supportive!

On topic, Claire still looks like a Bay City Roller. Jesse mooching around poor Dylan's house doing everything he can to make himself useless and get in the way made me FURIOUS. Why aren't you looking after the kid, assdouche? And if you can't keep your big mustard-clad ass out of grandpa D's commemorative Niagara Falls plate collection, maybe hit the gym, if you're at loose ends.

I lived through the '90s and while I remember the spice-brown lipstick, I do not remember lining my lips like Bianca Del Rio. Was lip liner outside the lip line a thing? Did I block it out? Can you really stick a pen through Barbie's arm and still have fine motor control? What is the internet?

22 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

Kelly's hair in that first GIF is finally looking on point.  I mean, she still shouldn't stand too close to Val, but she's got the best do in the beach apartment by far.

To quote the original House Party (Kids ask your Parents - TM AWT): "That ain't hard to be in here, but still." She finally, finally starts to look cute again. Doesn't quite justify the narrative that Kelly is the beauty of all time, but it helps.

I hate to sound rude.... But Nana has got to go (good thing this is her last full-time season) - she just looks so ridiculously old to be playing a 20-year old and the baby/failing marriage/affair storylines aren't helping. And it's not her fault, because, y'know, she was a 30 something but I really do wonder what the hell the casting people were smoking (and yes, she didn't look quite so nana-esque in season 1, but she sure as hell didn't look 16 y o either). I get that they wanted to have adults to avoid labor issues, but damn. Was she some producer's friend or something? I just never got the casting choice...

Anyway, I wonder if they would have kept Andrea on the show if they hadn't written in her pregnancy?

Jesse sucks. That is all.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Klaw said:

Anyway, I wonder if they would have kept Andrea on the show if they hadn't written in her pregnancy?

I thought Gabrielle Carteris left on her own, to host that talk show.  The end of that year was when all their original contracts were up.

21 hours ago, mskyle said:

The in-person Jeopardy test is actually an audio test like that though! (Or at least it was when I took it, ~8-10 years ago.) They show the question and read it aloud and you just have a photocopied answer sheet that you fill your answers in on. I think it's probably to make it more like the show, where you can't go back.

Gosh! How impractical.

Claire's lipstick is super distracting to me. I don't remember lining outside the lips being a thing after the 80s- honestly she is working a very 40s Joan Crawford upper lip shape there. Really a weird style choice, unless that is actually the shape of her lips? I can't be bothered to go back and check her other lewks to find out, but if it is, then I would have expected them to underline her to give her a narrower upper lip.

• Love 1

I wasn't big on lipliner then or now because I'm just too lazy.  But I do remember the dark lip/light lipstick thing (hubs actually liked it and thankfully I didn't know him then).  But I do remember those magazines showing how you can get the 'perfect' lip by overlining or correcting.  I'm sure that's what they are trying to go for.

Ohndrea is just a hot mess.  I will add that as a gal with a babyface, having kids really does a number on you.  I used to be able to pass EASILY for 10-12 years younger- like to the point that I was a teen when I was out of college.  Or when I was 30 still getting carded and having the bartender do the math because they didn't believe me (I didn't realize the blessing it was).   Now, after two kids, I may be able to get somewhere from 5-7 years younger and that's because I moisturize like crazy.

I think they would have kept Ohndrea if she didn't force the pregnancy in the show.  They would have made her take the Susan storylines.  Or, dare to dream... the Clare/Steve ones.  

• Love 2

I thought Gabrielle Carteris left on her own, to host that talk show.  The end of that year was when all their original contracts were up.

I think you are right.  She had that talk show for like a year, then returned to do some guest spots in later seasons. 

• Love 1
On 1/9/2017 at 11:19 AM, purpleyoshi said:

The sad thing is, I watched the next ep on hulu and didn't even realize I missed one until I saw this post. I guess not a lot happened.

Season five it's not as noticeable but be warned it gets soooo much worse. I'm way ahead in my rewatch because Hulu is straight up missing a good quarter of season 6. It's really bringing out my internal bray every time it jumps ahead an episode or two, and it turns out they don't even have the series-freakin'-finale.

I was hoping for Jesse slamming cabinet doors and asking about the decaf to be clipped; as usual yall did not disappoint. Still makes my eye twitch after countless listens. 

Edited by Molly Cule
9 hours ago, Molly Cule said:

I'm way ahead in my rewatch because Hulu is straight up missing a good quarter of season 6.

Please say that CokedUp!Kelly is still available.  I may actually sneak a peek at those episodes.  I would consider it a gift if the Dave Koz concert for Kelly's now-October birthday was clipped. 

There wasn't any PPAD stuff in those episodes, right? So it would be there. They were a good chunk of episodes, you had Susan in her love triangle, Valerie getting blackmailed which basically destroyed her relationship, and you had Coke up Kelly. Good chunk.

11 hours ago, CurlyATX said:

Please say that CokedUp!Kelly is still available.  I may actually sneak a peek at those episodes.  I would consider it a gift if the Dave Koz concert for Kelly's now-October birthday was clipped. 

CokedUp!Kelly is mostly there but no Dave Koz, half of the Tara-Kelly stuff, the Steve bday cruise (and thusly the awesome Colin down at the docks chase scene and the Pauly Shore cameo): all gone. Super lame. This might be what finally pushes me into replacing my broken DVD player. Goddamn you, 90210.

Edited by Molly Cule
  • Love 3
On 1/9/2017 at 6:53 PM, profreader said:

Our family had an old-school Jeopardy home-edition board game (Mr. Betty White was Allen Ludden... they were quite the game show pair back in the 60s and 70s.) The answers were in blue overprinted with red, and then you slid the page into the "answer board" which had red plastic windows. We had a version of Password with a similar red-blue printing thing going on.

As soon as I read the part about the blue overprint and answer board, I thought password and then finished reading your post.  We had the password version too!  I used to love playing that. 

• Love 1

I was saving listening to this and finally finished it yesterday.  Fuck!  If I were Clare I would just stop talking to Brandon all together.  It's one thing to be competitive, but he full on calls her a bitch, just because she thinks she has better skills than he does.  What an ass. 

I normally don't like to side with Ohndrea on much but when my kids were little, I'd have been peeved (esp for my first kid) if the sitter took her on a booty call.  I mean, did she take the bus?  Did she have a car seat? Driving adds all sorts of added potential issues vs just staying at the Walsh house.  It's not like it was an emergency. 

On 1/9/2017 at 1:43 PM, mskyle said:

But Alex Trebek wasn't the voice for the recorded test "answers," it was Johnny, IIRC.

Now you've got me trying to remember if it was like that when I took it. Until I read this post, I'd have sworn it was a written test, but now you've got me reconsidering. I do know that when I went for taping they gave us another 50 question written test (for research or something) that was just awful. Like I was afraid they were going to look at my answers and kick me out of the studio.

On topic, Jesse can fuck clean off. I swear I don't remember hating him this much back in the day. If you don't want your kid in daycare or being in the charge of someone besides your wife for 2 hours, you can cart her around to your law clerk job. I'm sure that'll go over like gangbusters with the boys down at the firm, you selfish prick. I can't believe they turned Dan racist for you.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, CurlyATX said:

I normally don't like to side with Ohndrea on much but when my kids were little, I'd have been peeved (esp for my first kid) if the sitter took her on a booty call.  I mean, did she take the bus?  Did she have a car seat? Driving adds all sorts of added potential issues vs just staying at the Walsh house.  It's not like it was an emergency. 

But didn't Andrea drop the baby with Val on the CU campus, with plans to pick her up at the PPAD?  So driving was always part of the plan.

Yeah I wondered about the driving while listening to the podcast. Did Andrea give Val her car? Because otherwise how did she know to have a carseat? Or did Val take Cindy's car and Cindy... has a carseat for the few times she's babysat? Or am I looking at this through the lens of a 2010's parent and actually carseats were optional back then? 

That said - the idea that Andrea, who wouldn't put her child in daycare because feelings and anxiety, would let Val, who she barely knows and who as far as we know has spent zero time with Hannah, babysit is ridiculous. 

Val has mentioned her sister (and a brother?) before, I think when talking about her dad's suicide and how her mother was coping? I feel like her sister had a stupidly old-fashioned name like Betsy or something because the writers couldn't be bothered actually giving her a realistic name. 

Jesse... I have no words. You don't like Andrea any more because she's had to sacrifice most of what you liked about her to have a baby you bullied her into having? Nope. Nope nope nope. DIAF dude. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, MissEwa said:

Jesse... I have no words. You don't like Andrea any more because she's had to sacrifice most of what you liked about her to have a baby you bullied her into having? Nope. Nope nope nope. DIAF dude. 

I think sadly, this sort of rings true for many husbands.  A lot of men pretty much stay the same as their pre-dad days.  After all, their jobs sort of allow for that.  Taking primary care of the baby normally isn't the dad's job.  For many women, due to various circumstances, they are taking the primary care role and naturally (right or wrong) rearrange things so that the baby will get main focus. 

If Jesse wanted the girl he fell in love with, then he should have encouraged her to have as much of her pre-baby life as possible by watching Hannah, helping the house, etc.  Sheesh, she's still "pre-med" isn't she?  The fact that she's still in school with an infant is very impressive- especially considering that their parents don't help that much.  Maybe she feels that she can't go after everything because she's saddled down with a child at age 19!

• Love 3

Oh yea, TeeVee, I forgot about that. I think I may have watched one episode and if I recall correctly she was so awkward and nervous as a host I remember feeling sorry for her.