Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: The Finals

• Start Topic

It was filmed in England. 

I didn't expect major showstoppers because these contestants didn't have the week off to practice their signatures/showstoppers as did their British counterparts. They DID look like they had recipes, so they might have been prepped about all bakes ahead of time, but probably didn't have time to practice 20 bakes (that would be max, right?) before filming overseas. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
20 hours ago, mlp said:

If they do this show again, I hope the producers suggest to Johnny that he shave and wash his hair.  He seems nice enough but I always sort of cringe at the idea of him handling food because he never looks clean.  I'll bet Mary isn't impressed with his appearance because she's used to working with Paul who always looks, in one of her words, "immaculate."

Somewhere along the line I got used to the hosts.  I now like Ian and Nia has ceased to annoy me.

Ew.  I remember Johnny from Top Chef Just Desserts, a show I wish would come back for another season!

Hi, Sew Sumi!  Nice to see someone I recognize over here :)

• Love 2

Not surprised at all to see Amanda win.  I had her pegged to be the big winner for a few episodes now, even though in my heart I was rooting for Steph!

On 1/13/2017 at 0:19 PM, Lady Iris said:

Well said. I think it was a british season I watched and they had to create 3-D bread sculptures which were phenomenal. I suppose I was thinking more showy for the final than something done to perfection.

The 3D bread sculptures weren't for a final.  None of the seasons have done bread for the final show stopper.  I have a feeling you might be thinking of the showstopper challenge of UK Series 6/US Season 3 Bread week, which did have some very impressive sculptures. Much more so than the this season's 3D bread sculpture challenge produced!  

This final showstopper was simplistic compared to recent final showstoppers of the GBBO, but is on par with what was required on the earliest seasons.  I believe both Series 1 and Series 2 had Petit Fours as their final showstopper challenge.

20 hours ago, mlp said:

Somewhere along the line I got used to the hosts.  I now like Ian and Nia has ceased to annoy me.

Same here.  I found them a little grating in the first few episodes, but they really grew on me.  This full season of GABS has convinced me that the only truly essential element of GBBO to me is Queen Mary.  Didn't miss Paul at all, and while I may have missed Mel and Sue at the beginning, I got over that fairly quickly.  

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I can't find anything for the American show, but season 6 of the British version was shot here, in Welford Park, Berkshire.

IMDB.com says the American version is also filmed at Welford Park. I personally would rather visit this location than Downton Abbey! I'd love to see the snowdrops that @dubbel zout's article refers to.

48 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

IMDB.com says the American version is also filmed at Welford Park. I personally would rather visit this location than Downton Abbey! I'd love to see the snowdrops that @dubbel zout's article refers to.

I've been to Highclere House (where Downton Abbey was filmed). It would be hard to top.

If you look at their Twitter feeds, you learn that both Amanda and Stephanie had their families at the finale. I guess they just didn't have time to introduce them.

Don't know if I quoted right. Apologies if it's wonky. Hi, it's Amanda from the show. Steph's husband was able to fly over, but my family couldn't make the trip. We decided it would be too much on the kids (1 & 3) to fly all that way for one day. I wanted them to be there so badly. 

• Love 21

Just wanted to say thank you for the "congratulations" and other kind comments. I have really enjoyed reading the recaps on here, and I haven't been able to resist reading the comments too. Some of them sting a bit, and others warm my heart. Either way, I appreciate you guys watching. Thank you again. 

• Love 20
36 minutes ago, AmandaFaber said:

Just wanted to say thank you for the "congratulations" and other kind comments.

Thanks for posting, Amanda! I'm curious if any of the ideas/plans you alluded to have worked out or are they in process? A cookbook maybe?

You were always so composed, kind, and calm on the show -- it was a pleasure watching you.

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, lordonia said:

Thanks for posting, Amanda! I'm curious if any of the ideas/plans you alluded to have worked out or are they in process? A cookbook maybe?

You were always so composed, kind, and calm on the show -- it was a pleasure watching you.

Thank you! I'm pretty calm under pressure, but I promise I was swirling like mad inside! :) As far as my plans, I'd love to start a business where I can be creative with baking (probably a small coffee/baked goods business), and I'd like to do something that helps our community in some way. Before I can do that I need to get some family stuff figured out. My son has some health challenges that are requiring a lot for the time being. In the meantime, I'm doing some cake commission and blogging for fun. Thanks again for asking! 

• Love 10

Best of luck to you, Amanda, with your plans. Your kids are adorable.  As someone who started wearing glasses at 6 months old I am always drawn to little ones in the same boat.  I hope your son does well.

• Love 3

Mr. DocTerv and I really enjoyed the show. I think, as someone else mentioned, that Mary Berry is the apricot jam in this Battenburg cake. It's just lovely to have contestants who seem to really enjoy the experience and who help and encourage each other through the competition. It's still hard to believe we'd sit and watch people staring into ovens but there you have it! Congrats to Amanda and all the bakers on a job well done.

The British version will always be first in my heart but we'll certainly watch again if we're lucky enough to get another US season. My only note for production would be to lose the fake winter stuff, it makes us all NUTS!

• Love 3

Congrats, @AmandaFaber! I had a feeling early on that you'd be in it until the end. I loved your hand held pastries and your final presentation.

Can you please tell us what months this was filmed? What is the link to your blog?

What an experience of a lifetime and your represented yourself and your family well. I would never have been able to boil an egg on camera, much less create your masterpieces. Well done, young lady.

• Love 2

Congrats, @AmandaFaber! It's always nice when contestants stop by and say hello.  I hope we weren't too mean!

On 1/13/2017 at 11:06 AM, Dobian said:

I don't get all the hate that has been leveled at this show.

I think the hate is for previous seasons -- this one has been fairly well liked.

• Love 2

Congratulations Amanda. My wife and I absolutely loved this show and the lack of drama. The way in which the contestants were always willing to help each other out was very refreshing. BTW - I would pay serious money for those chocolate bars you made. Good luck to you and your family.

• Love 7

Congratulations Amanda.  I was rooting for you from the very beginning...and then seeing pictures of your children iced it for me..they are so cute!

You seemed so calm and unruffled throughout the show.  I'm so happy you won.

• Love 1