Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: You Take Them Both and There You Have

I am SOOOO CONFUSED.

Okay, with episode five, Jenny O'Hara is gone; we've got new opening credits. But now, it's Mr. Bradford who reviews the girls' homework? Or was this just a one off, for...reasons, that he was asking them to write a poem? And his skeaviness comes out when he admits that he graded on a curve, to give all but Blair passable/failing grades, because Blair's plagiarized poem "spoke to him." In other words, he didn't grade them on their own merits, but subjectively. Right? And why didn't they turn in the poems to the English Lit teacher?

I'm so not looking forward to the episode where Bradley and Blair are stuck in the barn during bad weather and Blair develops a crush on him. {SHUDDER}

But it did get me thinking--Season One Blair is smart, cunning, not a ditz. So it's disappointing that the older she got, the more flakey she got. When it should have been the opposite, no? And now I want to know how Eastland was set up. Was Mrs. Garrett den mother only to these girls? Were there other den mothers? Because we saw other girls/rivals/classmates. But it seemed that only Blair, Sue Ann, Cindy, Nancy, Molly, Natalie, and Tootie were the only girls in that dorm/house. Or did all of them live there, but we only saw those seven?

But some of the reactions of the girls were just ridiculous. Like in "IQ," when Sue Ann is told that she had the lowest IQ, but it was clear she was the smartest, based on her grades and how everyone went to her for help, she suddenly acts like she's the most stupid. Yeah, yeah, she's only 15, blah, blah, blah.

Or the one where Blair plagiarized from Emily Dickinson. Say Blair hadn't done that, and she still got an A+, and that sleaze Bradley still graded on a curve? For the girls to blame Blair for that was ridiculous. Their anger should have been directed toward Bradley--who admitted to them and Mrs. Garrett why he graded on a curve.

Still, for all my complainin' I still have a soft spot for the 13 episode first season. And Season two will start next Monday!

I'd totally forgotten that Helen Hunt was in the finale of the first season. And it was here that my confusion was clarified! Apparently, there are several "dorms." And the show showcased just one--and that was the one that had Mrs. Garrett as the Den Mother!

Watching this first season again as an adult, I started to hate Sue Ann more and more with each episode. She trains Cindy for the track or whatever, because she wants to concentrate on her studies; That ASSHOLE Bradley LIES about Cindy beating her score, so now she's all jealous and decides she's going to run after all, and I'm totally TEAM CINDY. Just what was it about her that made everyone think SHE would be the one to the most successful one (as we saw in the final season? "reunion") And again, just an idiot; She's not going to smoke pot; but then Blair says she won't either, and tells Sue Ann, not to do it; so because Blair told her or "spoke for her," Sue Ann decides she will smoke a joint.

Bradley just got more and more skeavy and Assholey with each episode. NBC or whoever was smart to also jettison his ass off the show. Parker, though a numbers cruncher and always taking Mrs. Garrett for granted, was a much better character.

I have to admit, Tootie was adorable in this first season. I enjoyed Blair, Natalie and Tootie. Still confused why they continued to dumb Blair down with each successive season.

Season Two! And introduction of Jo starts today!!!!!

• Love 1

I have to admit, it's weird "knowing" them (not personally, of course) now as adults and going back and seeing the earliest episodes with them as kids. 

FOL was never really in reruns like I needed it to be until now (I didn't have LOGO or TVLand or whatever the heck the other channel was that also had it recently).  I watched a bit on YouTube, but it's not the same as on a TV. It's good to be able to see the old episodes that I remember, but this helps fill in some blanks.  I totally forgot about the dreamy-eyed look Blair gave to Mr. Bradley when he rescued them in the flood episode. 

I don't know if Brandon Tartikoff decided to boot John Lawlor, but I know FOL was one of this favorites.  

17 minutes ago, GalvDuck said:

I totally forgot about the dreamy-eyed look Blair gave to Mr. Bradley when he rescued them in the flood episode. 

That was SOOOOOO GROSS!!!!!! HE even LOOKED MORE GROSS!!!

18 minutes ago, GalvDuck said:

I don't know if Brandon Tartikoff decided to boot John Lawlor, but I know FOL was one of this favorites.  

If he did, then I love him even more.

• Love 1

I was going to mention how we suddenly got a new head master in the second season premiere and how his name was mentioned, but we never saw him! But we did today in the episode where Tootie spread gossip about how Mrs. Garrett was drunk, when in fact she’d had her eyes dilated and as someone who’s had that done, it’s fairly realistic. And I must have missed this episode the first time in syndication, because I’d forgotten that the original cast who were cut, made an appearance-just as Molly did in the second episode. It was good to see them. Though I have to admit what Blair did was pretty rotten-accepting a date with Roger, who she KNEW was Nancy’s boyfriend. But Roger was a bigger asshole, asking her out. Amazing that Nancy didn’t dump his ass, and ended up engaged to him.?????

But what Tootie did to Mrs. Garrett was much worse, and she got off easy. Because instead of her having to lick all the envelopes and stamps, all the other girls helped her. Because waa! waa! she couldn’t go to New York.

I’d like to think that Bradley got fired for being such a horrible head master, who was also skeevy. And Harris didn’t last any longer, since we got Mr. Parker in season three, and lasted the longest. The show fucked up in its continuity when in the series finale, they had some dweeb who quit, as the head master for the past 25 years, which had Blair take over.

Either Blair was really tone deaf, or she really didn’t care how she was being a jerk and rubbing her wealth in Jo, Natalie and Tootie’s faces in the episode where Jo ended up stealing that blouse for Mrs. Garrett.  I’m not saying what Jo did was right-she had a choice and what she did was wrong and illegal, and she was paying for it. I’m hoping Mrs. Garrett DID exchange the Gucci purse Blair gave her.

All that said, I found it ridiculous that Mrs. Garrett was arrested for shoplifting that blouse when she wasn’t even in the store. And even if she was behind it, they didn’t have proof. I was ????? because that stupid snooty sales clerk knew EXACTLY that that blouse had been stolen. What? Did she count and cross reference the inventory with the receipts? 

Edited by GHScorpiosRule

Isn’t anyone else watching?

Anyhoo, another episode where we saw Sue Ann, Cindy and Nancy return. And this time, I wanted to BITCHSLAP all of them. It was in “Sex Symbol” when a boy Natalie met at a mixer at Eastland, started spreading rumors that Natalie was easy. And then all his friends were calling so Nat would “help them” with Algebra. That these three, who roomed with Natalie and were shown to be good friends of hers, would believe the rumor was rage inducing. It’s not as if years had gone by when this happened. Only a few months!

• Love 1

I guess you and I are the only ones watching on MeTV?  I think it used to be (or might still be) on Logo and TVLand, but those aren't in my cable lineup.

This weekend's shows included the Countess Calvert one ("Bought and Sold").  Oddly, the program guide on my Comcast stated that Blair gave Tootie a new look.  It had been a long time since I'd seen it, but I thought for sure it was Natalie (it was).  Those episodes all seem rolled together with a similar theme (but as a kid, I guess I never noticed) -- "Sex Symbol" (where Nat gets a temporarily bad rep), "Pretty Babies" (with the freaky photographer targeting Tootie for a more adult look, "Bought and Sold" (with Natalie in a bit too much makeup), followed by the third season's "Growing Pains" (where Tootie drinks to be more "grown up") and then "Fear Strikes Back" (where Nat is assaulted).  Not all necessarily the same, but definitely all focusing on Nat and Tootie as too young (which they were), but being pushed into mature situations, if that makes sense.

Yeah, I'm watching on MeTV, where the weekend episodes were the Zsa Zsa Gabor one, where Blair MACKED on that make-up on Natalie to sell the products, and where Zsa Zsa's Countess shot Blair down for doing such a thing. And of course, it ended with the one skeavy photographer wanting to bring out Tootie's inner woman. And until Mrs. Garrett called him out and shut him down, Blair was all too willing to go along with what he wanted Tootie to do. Not a very good look for Blair. And she also had bad taste. UGH, she considered Prince Charles handsome! Or maybe it was because he was a Prince. BLECH.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, SnarkySheep said:

On a random side note, just spotted Mrs. Garrett in an old rerun of King of Queens! Totally wouldn't have recognized her, except for the voice...

Ohhhhh no you don't! You don't get to make some offhand comment about Mrs. Garrett Charlotte Rae appearing on another show! Add yer comments to the current discussion if'nyeplease.

Yep, still running on Logo, but it’s super late (or super early, depending on how you view that). The last ep I saw was the one where Cliff is working in the strip club. Now they’re up to “Seems Like Old Times” (the return of Eddie) and “Summer of ‘84,” looks like.

It's an early ep, but I never got why the audience was expected to root for Mrs. G. and boo Mr. Bradley when the former tried to insist he CANCEL his Hawaiian vacation JUST so he could stay and console Molly over her parents' split. Not' Mr. Bradley, how about giving her a five-minute pep talk about life going on before you hula to your plane?' But. 'Mr. Bradley you CANNOT go on your vacation with her suffering!' 'Mr. BRAD-LEEE!!' . .then, Molly whines about him actually leaving the campus to go on his vacation . However; before the closing credits Mr. Bradley actually returns to campus ( all  belatedly  guilt-tripped by Mrs. G's screaming) because somehow he can't bear to vacation when one of his how-many dozen students is suffering over   her parents' splitting!  Are we supposed to be impressed by his 'change of heart' or creeped at the possibility that he'd actually prefer staying  around just to throw a pity party to a minor in his charge to going on a solo vacation?

• Love 1
4 hours ago, kariyaki said:

I gotta say… a vacation to Hawaii… from New York? Damn, that’s a long flight. Wouldn’t the Bahamas be closer?

Hmm, maybe he couldn’t leave the country? Maybe he didn’t have a passport? Maybe he wanted to see Pearl Harbor? 

;)

• Love 1

So, I watched "Sweet Sorrow" where Eddie came back and he and Jo broke up. Here's my confusion:

Since Eastland is an all GIRLS school, how is it that Jo was paired up with a guy, and they both walk into the cafeteria. Now where did he come from? Did the Bates Academy and Eastland have some agreement about boys being allowed in Social Studies classes where the students are "married" and have to make a budget?

Blair just IRKED me in this episode. 

As for Bob, well, guess he believes in poaching. He KNEW Jo had a boyfriend, yet...then again, Jo knew it was a date and was flogging herself for it.

Still, Jo broke my heart when she broke down at the end.

Of course, this isn't the last we'll see of Eddie. He'll come back, a married man, and NOT TELL JO that he's MARRIED.

Didn't she know Eddie before she came to Eastland?  Now that I'm older and wiser, that begs the question -- how was a guy old enough to go into the Navy able to date a high school student?  And how was the school okay with it?

I was cracking up during "Front Page" when Natalie was asking Mrs. G about whether or not to run the article.  Turns out she had already turned it in and it was in that morning's publication.  So, Mrs. G says, "Then why did you ASK MEEEEEEE????"   Without missing a beat, Natalie replies, "Habit!"  

So much funnier when you consider it was only a 3rd season episode and they ended up asking for her advise for nearly 8 seasons.

I do NOT remember the episode "Dear Me."  I must have missed it in reruns and on a friend's VHS recording.  Heck, I may have even missed it the first time around.  Pretty wild to see Todd Hallowell (Jeff in later episodes) playing one of Tootie's love interests (Zack) in an early episode.  Obviously, they worked well together. 

2 minutes ago, GalvDuck said:

Didn't she know Eddie before she came to Eastland?  Now that I'm older and wiser, that begs the question -- how was a guy old enough to go into the Navy able to date a high school student?  And how was the school okay with it?

Yes. I think he's a year older; Jo was 16 last season when they were going to get married; I'm assuming Eddie was 17; he's 18 now and Jo is 17. Eddie and Jo started dating a few weeks before she started at Eastland.

My confusion isn't about Eddie; but about BOB. Eastland is supposed to be an all girls school; so how is it that Bob was walking around as if he knew the layout; was in the same class as Jo where they were assigned to be "married."

Another one of my all-time favorites aired this morning on MeTV - "The Four Musketeers."  

Sadly, it looks like this weekend will be the end of the run of reruns for now.  I was looking ahead to see what the next episodes will be and there aren't any listed from Monday on.  :(  

Major bummer!  But I'm glad to know the entire series is on DVD now.  Going to invest in that next.  

1 hour ago, GalvDuck said:

Another one of my all-time favorites aired this morning on MeTV - "The Four Musketeers."  

Sadly, it looks like this weekend will be the end of the run of reruns for now.  I was looking ahead to see what the next episodes will be and there aren't any listed from Monday on.  :(  

Major bummer!  But I'm glad to know the entire series is on DVD now.  Going to invest in that next.  

Not for me--it's still airing and on my MeTV schedule where I live. Although, Charlie's Angels will replace Hawaii Five-0 come Monday.

Huh...maybe it's a weird glitch in my guide on Comcast.  It wasn't listed.  Some other nondescript show was on in its place and Diff'rent Strokes wasn't listed either.  Maybe it will update.  Either way, I'll set my DVR to record at that time.  

Awesome!  Thanks for giving me a glimmer of hope!  :)

(edited)
1 hour ago, Maherjunkie said:

Tootie becoming a hooker ep is on METV.

Tootie didn’t become a hooker. She met one and the hooker was forced to try and lure Tootie so the pimp would force her to become one. But it didn’t happen.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule

Tootie couldn't say anything to Mrs G. about the 14 year old hooker to get her out of danger? One quick word to the cops could have broken up the prostitution ring right then and there!!!

(edited)

Yes!  I loved the "turn blue/in your ear!" repartee.   Blair making tuna.  Yum!  Hey, I'd eat it.

Sheesh!  Another one where Tootie gets forced into an adult situation.  Now I'm kind of surprised it was Natalie who was first, not Tootie.  At the rate the writers were going, Natalie should have been last.

Kind on interesting that the coffee shop was so similar in both episodes (including the props and chairs), yet it was not supposed to be the same one or in the same location.  

Found out why I couldn't find FOL on my TV listings.  It turns out the station that carries MeTV moved on the lineup.  So, when I did a show search, I found it.  It just wasn't on the same channel.  It's all good now.  

I can't help but wonder if there's some Jesse and Dina fanfic out there.

Yay!  Jo's Cousins episode is coming up with Megan Follows.  

Edited to add:  I did not realize Alexa Kenin, the actress who played Jesse, died in 1985...a suspected drug OD.

Edited by GalvDuck
Discovered new info
(edited)

So “I’m Dancing as Fast as I  Can” was on-where we meet Cliff; Jo and Blair take Mrs. Garrett to a strip club for her birthday. And Cliff is the stripper.

I’ve never understood why both Jo and Blair acted like Ciiff was a prostitute; as if he was having sex with the women who drooled, screamed and stuck money in his g-string.

I’m trying to remember if being a male or female stripper back then was treated and thought as “might as well” or “are just like” a prostitute.

And I just realized that they didn’t air the episode when they’re in college and Cliff returns, but was supposed to be Jo’s date? But at the end she changed her mind and let him go with Blair and she ended up with...Roy.

It still boggles my mind that Loren Lester, who played skeevy Roy, is the same guy who portrays Dick Grayson/Original Robin/Nightwng in the animated Batman series and movies!!!! His voice work as Grayson/Robin/Nightwing is positivily SEXAY! And not at all skeevy!

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 8:35 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

So “I’m Dancing as Fast as I  Can” was on-where we meet Cliff; Jo and Blair take Mrs. Garrett to a strip club for her birthday. And Cliff is the stripper.

I’ve never understood why both Jo and Blair acted like Ciiff was a prostitute; as if he was having sex with the women who drooled, screamed and stuck money in his g-string.

I’m trying to remember if being a male or female stripper back then was treated and thought as “might as well” or “are just like” a prostitute.

And I just realized that they didn’t air the episode when they’re in college and Cliff returns, but was supposed to be Jo’s date? But at the end she changed her mind and let him go with Blair and she ended up with...Roy.

It still boggles my mind that Loren Lester, who played skeevy Roy, is the same guy who portrays Dick Grayson/Original Robin/Nightwng in the animated Batman series and movies!!!! His voice work as Grayson/Robin/Nightwing is positivily SEXAY! And not at all skeevy!

While I'm not surprised that Blair would be horrified that Cliff was dancing/stripping to pay for medical school, I am surprised that Jo wasn't more blasé about it.  Coming from a blue collar, working class background, surely Jo knew of a stripper or two in the Bronx.  And surely she could understand having to do what you had to do in order to pay for tuition.  

I always liked Cliff and thought he was a good match for Blair, especially once she decides to go to law school.  Too bad that taking over a co-ed Eastland was Blair's end game at the series finale rather than Cliff.  

• Love 3
12 hours ago, psychoticstate said:

While I'm not surprised that Blair would be horrified that Cliff was dancing/stripping to pay for medical school, I am surprised that Jo wasn't more blasé about it.  Coming from a blue collar, working class background, surely Jo knew of a stripper or two in the Bronx.  And surely she could understand having to do what you had to do in order to pay for tuition.  

I always liked Cliff and thought he was a good match for Blair, especially once she decides to go to law school.  Too bad that taking over a co-ed Eastland was Blair's end game at the series finale rather than Cliff.  

Exactly! In all other aspects, Jo was never as judgmental. I was disappointed in her attitude.

Yeah, they should have had maybe Blair fall in love with him again. But since she fell out of with him when she was 19(!!!) that was automatic that she couldn’t possibly fall in love with him again!??

You know, I’ve always wondered why Phillip McKeon, Nancy’s brother, never made a guest appearance on this show. After all, we had Chip Fields, who is Kim’s mother, play Tootie’s mom. Phillip could have played a cousin. They both have the same smile.

I just discovered Alice on Antenna and am watching a super adorable Phillip.

• Love 3