Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: You Take Them Both and There You Have

I just saw an episode with Mrs G's son.  No, not the accountant that bank rolled Edna's Edibles (but apparently left her out to dry after the fire).   She apparently had some ne'er-do-well son I didn't remember who was a struggling 28 year old musician Edna was still supporting.  At the end of the episode he reveals he's been working as a carpenter but he never told Mrs G because he thought she'd be mad because he didn't finish what he started with music.  Idiot.  Yes, she'd rather keep paying your bills so you can be a musician rather than you earn a wage on your own,.   Apparently he followed in his brother's footsteps in one way.  He abandoned his mom after the fire.  Or else she just forgot she had a son who was a carpenter when she was running around trying to find someone to rebuild the shop on the meager insurance settlement--which was only meager since she didn't manager her insurance correctly.  But it's ok, because she flitted off to the Peace Corp a year after opening the shop anyway.  Come to think of it Mrs G was hardly the portrait of stability.  She was a housekeeper for a year, a den mother for a year, a nutritionist for three year, a business owner for 2 years (let's be real, she was pretty much checked out of the business by the time it was Over Our Heads) and then went off globe trotting.  

Boy, the Over Our Heads episodes were really pretty bad.  There are some exceptions but for the most part, these episodes don't even feel like the same show.

Although I remember when every mall had a novelty store like Over Our Heads (gotta love the 80s), it really was a stupid idea to change the bakery into that kind of store.  Seems like Peeksgill (sp?) is supposed to be a fairly small town and the shop is on the main street drag, with George's dad's hardware store across the street.  The OOH episodes mention a new mall opening.  So how on earth would a store like OOH survive in that location?  Not like Peeksgill would be a hot vacation destination where people might be kitschy souvenirs and crap. 

Maybe the writers felt like they were tapped out on Edna's Edibles but changing it to OOH really didn't create any different storyline opportunities IMO. 

There was an episode where they said they were the biggest retailer of Langley merchandise so maybe most of the income is from that. But I always thought that was weird because wouldn't Langley have a book store like a normal college where they sell that stuff?

Boy, the Over Our Heads episodes were really pretty bad. There are some exceptions but for the most part, these episodes don't even feel like the same show.

Although I remember when every mall had a novelty store like Over Our Heads (gotta love the 80s), it really was a stupid idea to change the bakery into that kind of store. Seems like Peeksgill (sp?) is supposed to be a fairly small town and the shop is on the main street drag, with George's dad's hardware store across the street. The OOH episodes mention a new mall opening. So how on earth would a store like OOH survive in that location? Not like Peeksgill would be a hot vacation destination where people might be kitschy souvenirs and crap.

Maybe the writers felt like they were tapped out on Edna's Edibles but changing it to OOH really didn't create any different storyline opportunities IMO.

Agreed -- very good points! [And it's Peekskill. :) ]

I went to a big university so maybe this is different, but the off-campus retailers probably sold 10x more logo gear than the campus spirit shop.

Did the older son tell her she was on her own?

Unless I missed it, her son is never mentioned in the 3 episode arc where the shop burns and they rebuild it as OOH.

Boy, the Over Our Heads episodes were really pretty bad.  There are some exceptions but for the most part, these episodes don't even feel like the same show.

Although I remember when every mall had a novelty store like Over Our Heads (gotta love the 80s), it really was a stupid idea to change the bakery into that kind of store.  Seems like Peeksgill (sp?) is supposed to be a fairly small town and the shop is on the main street drag, with George's dad's hardware store across the street.  The OOH episodes mention a new mall opening.  So how on earth would a store like OOH survive in that location?  Not like Peeksgill would be a hot vacation destination where people might be kitschy souvenirs and crap. 

Especially since they all but ignored it by the final season and barely managed a throwaway line about closing it for good. 

There was an episode where they said they were the biggest retailer of Langley merchandise so maybe most of the income is from that. But I always thought that was weird because wouldn't Langley have a book store like a normal college where they sell that stuff?

Which is interesting because we never saw it. Al I recall was the same tacky nick knacks every time we saw the store.  And no, there's no way that store thrives in the downtown section of a small upstate NY town.  If the outside looked anything like the inside, no way the zoning commission allowed them a permit to make the change.

I see you went to CU, Jocelyn!

I'd like to know if Jocelyn graduated from CU much the same way that Val did - - drive by in her car and honk at the school.   Or Dylan, who had a drug problem and still managed to graduate in about sixty days while mentioning going to school.  Or Ohhhhhnnnn-drea, who not only got married and had a baby her first year (and still managed to live in a nicer apartment than I have now) but also magically became pre-med overnight.  That CU, a bastion of education!

And a big hello to my fellow 90210-ers!

• Love 2

I'd like to know if Jocelyn graduated from CU much the same way that Val did - - drive by in her car and honk at the school. Or Dylan, who had a drug problem and still managed to graduate in about sixty days while mentioning going to school. Or Ohhhhhnnnn-drea, who not only got married and had a baby her first year (and still managed to live in a nicer apartment than I have now) but also magically became pre-med overnight. That CU, a bastion of education!

And a big hello to my fellow 90210-ers!

Haha, yes, I did all of the above! Maybe in the Small Talk thread I'll tell you all about my gunshot wound, miscarriage, third-degree burns, cult membership, and cocaine addiction! But I still passed Art History!

• Love 1

So does Logo only have the same 25 or so episodes to show over and over? 

I've only just caught on to Logo and its airings of FOL in the last month and I swear they have shown the Brave New World episodes (where Mrs. Garrett quits Eastland and opens Edna's Edibles) at least three times.

There are 8 or 9 seasons - - come on, Logo.

• Love 3

I haven't caught Brave New World yet but I've seen Over Our heads at least 3 tomes. It seems pretty obvious Logo bought some limited package and has a handful of episodes from each season. I'm not sure how the syndicator picked these episodes though. It seems like they were going for memorable episodes (the is Cindy a lesbian ep, Germaine Jackson, Nathan sleeps with snake, most of the season premieres), but then you have klunkers like the backdoor pilot with Tooties aunt.

I just looked at today's schedule and it is the same limited number of episodes. :::sigh::: I should have known better than to get excited.

Yeah it's literally the same line up of episodes! I did finally see some on Logo though that I haven't seen before--when Beverly Ann comes, when Staci Q plays Cinnamon. And then a very special episode when Blair's boyfriend is waiting for his coke dealer. 

I think my all-time favorite episodes though are "Take My Finals Please" and the two when Jo is first introduced. Oh and in the very first season when the blonde one with the Farrah hair smokes pot.

And then a very special episode when Blair's boyfriend is waiting for his coke dealer. 

She should have stuck with the med student stripper.

I just want all Eastland, all the time.  Just like Andy Griffith-black and white only please.

I can live with the Edna's Edibles years.  But with Over Our Heads, George, Andy, Pippa, Edna checking out and Beverly Ann checking in I can't with the later years.  The worst part of those seasons though is how the girls all act like they want to leave and get away from each other.  It's an understandable sentiment but it's really unenjoyable to watch when it feels like they're being forced to live together against their will (which ironically they were in the Eastland years but we of course later learn they became a family and liked living together).   

• Love 2

I admit it -- I've been watching the episodes on TVLand. The one where Tootie meets Jermaine Jackson was on last night. I don't remember that episode as being particularly heavy-handed but man, it was. From Tootie's overwrought reaction to being told that she can't go to Jermaine's concert to Mrs. Garrett's horrified reaction to Tootie's hysteria -- it's got "Very Special Episode" written all over it in permanent ink. Then when Tootie manages to get past the world's worst security guard and get into Jermaine's dressing room, she's manhandled by his body guard and gets a lesson in the dark side of celebrity worship. As far as celebrity cameos go, I would rate Jermaine's appearance as a 2 on a scale of 1 to 10. Poor guy couldn't act worth a damn and ... he's Jermaine Jackson. He had a decent solo career (as I'm writing this, "Let's Get Serious" is running through my head) but it's almost like he's playing his much better known brother Michael in this episode.

I always wondered if they wrote that ep for Michael, but he turned it down.

Maybe. Tootie gushed over Michael in several episodes but never mentioned Jermaine before or after this episode.

I never really like episodes about Tootie. She's just so........frantic. Her line delivery makes me cringe.

• Love 1

Just caught an episode that I hadn't seen in Logo's rotation before; "The Candidate." It was a cute episode, but I hated that the stories got so hard to believe in the later years. In it, Natalie runs for mayor of Peekskill and Blair, acting as an anonymous source ('Sore Throat'), helps Natalie's campaign by revealing some dirt on a major corporation and the other candidate. 

I'm still hoping that Logo acquires the rights to one of my favorite episodes (surprisingly enough from the 8th season), "Seven Little Indians." I'm a sucker for murder mystery episodes of 80s TV sitcoms, and I always thought FOL's was one of the best (as was The Golden Girls'). I mean, how can you not love an episode that gave us this scene: 

midnite2154280.jpg

• Love 4

I like that one too, surprisingly enough.  What was her motivation for running for mayor?

Natalie learned that the mayor, with a corporation, is planning to build an amusement park in Peekskill that would ultimately hurt the town, so she decides to run against him. The mayor denies this throughout the episode and, it isn't until the very end that he vows to forbid the corporation to build the park. The reveal takes the power out of Natalie's campaign and he wins. 

I discovered this show is on LOGO, though I have no idea why, and watched the one in which Tooti and Natali, mostly the former, fret about Blair and Jo graduating. Was Tooti always so overwrought?

Yes. Yes she is.

Kim Fields is OK with humor or just normal talking, but give her something dramatic and Yikes. Another example is when a new boyfriend made her question having only white friends. Her scene with Mrs. Garrett when she cries and shrieks "I can't! I won't!" is quite a pip.

Yes. Yes she is.

Kim Fields is OK with humor or just normal talking, but give her something dramatic and Yikes. Another example is when a new boyfriend made her question having only white friends. Her scene with Mrs. Garrett when she cries and shrieks "I can't! I won't!" is quite a pip.

I also didn't realize how many VSE this show had as well!

What is VSE?

I think Very Special Episode. 

Yeah, it seems like Logo and TVLand picked though and brought all the VSE and backdoor pilots. Are some episodes cheaper then others? I'm mean, you are buying a limited number of episodes and for a show that ran nine long years, you brought the backdoor pilots?!

Was Tooti always so overwrought?

I love me some Facts of Life as it is my favorite show from childhood.  It will always hold a special place in my heart.  However, watching it now I find myself cringing and turning the volume down because they (not just Tootie) yell their dialogue in pretty much every scene.  It is rare that they use their normal speaking voice.  

• Love 1

I think Very Special Episode. 

Yeah, it seems like Logo and TVLand picked though and brought all the VSE and backdoor pilots. Are some episodes cheaper then others? I'm mean, you are buying a limited number of episodes and for a show that ran nine long years, you brought the backdoor pilots?!

Yes, that what I meant. :-) I haven't watched enough to remember the ratio of VSE to ordinary ones.

Did they ever explain how Tootie's boyfriend Jeff got into college when he couldn't read in high school? It is the same person and not two different boyfriends, right? Yeah, I know colleges want great football players, but still......

I saw the episode where Jo dated her college professor and wondered about the law/rules in the 80's.

I recently saw that one...Blair brought up the issue, saying everyone was talking about them. But then they dropped the subject.

Edited by kariyaki
fixed quote formatting

Does Logo always skip the Beverley Ann years? We went from Mrs. G's wedding then to Blair as Headmistress at Eastland and back to the pilot episode in 2 days.

Of all the girls, Blair changed the least, in looks, from the first episode to the last. I had forgotten how young Jo looked when she first arrived.

I think they show the riff on It's a Wonderful Life episode and Natalie gets busy with Snake episode from the Beverly Ann years but I don't recall any others. I think Logo purchased a "best of"/notable episodes package and, yeah, not much there from those years. They don't even have the Australian adventure but do have the Paris trip.