Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 Episodes Talk

Something happened before they're back together at his place. He randomly happened to see her on the street (she was inside a laundromat). She had this apologetic look on her face when she looked back at him. He could have ignored her and kept walking, but he turned and went into the laundromat. So I'm assuming they talked and made up. Screen time on their relationship was used very sparingly in this episode, and that's fine by me.

I wouldn't expect the two of them to talk about exactly how far the cheating went, anyway. He wouldn't want to hear about it and she wouldn't want to talk about it.

What was interesting about their reconciliation was that before they reconciled, Holden was all "I don't give a shit if everyone knew I called Speck's murder victims 'eight ripe c****'", then right after they got back together, Holden asks Greg to redact that shit out of the transcript.

• Love 2

Apparently there are still people who think Wayne Williams didn't do it. John Douglas butted heads with local law enforcement because they thought it had to be the KKK that did it, and his profile pointed in a different direction. Then Douglas got in trouble with OPR for saying to a reporter Wayne Williams "looks good" (as in he thinks Williams is the killer). Since he was part of the investigation, he wasn't supposed to publicly talk about that before the trial.

But the show already did the "uh oh, Holden's in trouble with the OPR" story, they're not going to do it again next season, are they? Or maybe this season the trouble with OPR is only beginning, next season the shit will really hit the fan.

I am a big aficionado of John Douglas and all he did for forensic science and the study of serial killers.  He was and is completely ground breaking and, I'm certain, has saved a lot of lives.  As with any original theory, as time goes on and more data is collected, parts of it are found to not be quite right and others (uncannily) spot on.  I think, on some matters, his theory has been both debunked and added to.  All props to him.  What he's done and what he started are amazing.  I've recommended Citizen X here before -- it's also about Douglas.  To find it use keywords "citizen" and "x" and "Chikatilo"; Stephen Rea was in it.  That spelling may not be perfect but it will get you there.  

ETA:  This post is not OT - I wrote it in response to the conversation about Douglas' experience in Atlanta and getting in trouble.  That happened to him more than once.  In Citizen X you'll see some of the origins of his breakdown.

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, Bec said:

Something happened before they're back together at his place. He randomly happened to see her on the street (she was inside a laundromat). She had this apologetic look on her face when she looked back at him. He could have ignored her and kept walking, but he turned and went into the laundromat. So I'm assuming they talked and made up. Screen time on their relationship was used very sparingly in this episode, and that's fine by me.

I wouldn't expect the two of them to talk about exactly how far the cheating went, anyway. He wouldn't want to hear about it and she wouldn't want to talk about it.

What was interesting about their reconciliation was that before they reconciled, Holden was all "I don't give a shit if everyone knew I called Speck's murder victims 'eight ripe c****'", then right after they got back together, Holden asks Greg to redact that shit out of the transcript.

Ah, thank you. I was watching this while I was at work (it helps me focus to have something on) and I missed that part.

I heard rumours that the second season would feature a sub-plot about some black-ops experiment, which involves transplanting a serial killer’s brain into a dolphin. The dolphin escapes soon after. One particularly harrowing scene will involve Holden running into the sea, desperately trying to save a therapy group. 

Edited by Pindrop

I'm struggling to understand the point of Debbie's character. She comes across as quite a cold fish, and I have no idea why she likes Holden. I hope she's gone soon.

I thought it was interesting how so many people in 1978 thought it was no big deal for a school principal to be tickling kids. It was obviously a compulsion he couldn't control. He would be fired much faster in today's culture.

I'm curious why there's been no mention of Ted Bundy yet. He was arrested for the final time in February 1978, and went on trial the next year.

• Love 2

I highly recommend the non-fiction book "The List" by Chet Dettlinger and Jeff Prugh. It's a detailed examination of the Atlanta Child Murders investigation and the surrounding political culture at the time and it will give you some insight into why there are people who think that Williams didn't do it. It's not a conspiracy-theory book or anything, it's contemporary investigation and reportage about the parts of the case that don't fit the profile.

The series didn't really take the direction I thought this season, but I found it all very interesting. 

I can see why some may find it slow moving or a bit boring.  There is not a lot of action  Its very much a drama of human interaction and relationships. 

The hubris and arrogance in the main character by the end of the season I found surprising.   Right up until his anxiety attacks, and I think it was an anxiety attack, at the end. 

Kemper is the most interesting character, hope he is back for more.  The fact he is so egosyntonic even with his killings, mentioning them so casually and plainly is the surprising part.  I know that is a characteristic of psychopaths, not feeling remorse or how out of place their actions are with society, but his is even different than most.  He is completely comfortable talking about it with nothing to hide, an open book, plus he is so articulate about it.  Which of course is what makes him such a great subject

Also was surprised at how much time they spent on the technical aspects of what might or might not be coercion, trying to establish ethical guidelines on how to deal with the interviewees even though they are criminals and serial killers, though they fail often, and generally revealing how important it was to do true scientific based research rather than just go in there and get some interesting stories and tidbits from the killers.  Again they fail on this much of the time, but they at least have some things in place. 

I wasn't expecting much this season from the BTK killer since he was not caught until 2005. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 4
On 10/15/2017 at 5:15 PM, AttackTurtle said:

The lead ear was good, but his partner was fabulous. I'm withholding my judgment on Carr and the girlfriend.  I did find  it sleazy that the new guy sent the tape in; knowing that there were innocent individuals that were going to catch shit for it.

The only thing I was surprised about with the new guy is that he lied in the first place. They made a pretty big deal about how much of a Mr. Clean/Boy Scout he was during the interview, along with the suspicion that he was a mole for the boss. In a different context, his sending the tape would make him a hero for revealing the truth, and blowing up the conspiracy of silence. Holden was wrong for redacting it - and the others were wrong for agreeing to lie about it, imho. 

On 10/17/2017 at 10:26 AM, 2727 said:

I had a hard time with that as well. Police use whatever behavior they think will elicit a reaction during interrogations (and hostage situations, which Holden used to do). If law enforcement officers choose to connect with a suspect by using "dirty" language, so fucking what? That Holden's "ripe" questions required a conspiratorial cover up was ridiculous to me.

It seemed to me that the difference here was not that he was using "dirty" language - but that he was using language that demeaned the victims, which if leaked to the press, could bring a shit storm down on the FBI. No one's going to object to calling the criminals bad names. The victims, on the other hand, are a very different thing and would play very differently with the public.

On 10/18/2017 at 11:15 PM, Pindrop said:

I probably split the difference between the two of you: -

1) If I had been in a car accident and a loved one refused to pick me up, I would be a little miffed. 

Picking up involved a very long drive, she was busy with her studies and they were both fine.  I've been there (accident) Done that (had a loved one who couldn't leave what he was doing). Bitched and moaned a little, then realized I was a grown up who wasn't hurt and could manage on my own. And I didn't even have someone to commiserate with.

On 10/23/2017 at 7:11 PM, SnK said:

I was a big Fringe fan so I'm familiar with Anna Torv.  I remember her receiving some of the same criticisms she's receiving here when Fringe debuted.   She's playing a very similar character here.  All business, no fun type of character.   As anyone who's watched Fringe knows opinions changed when Torv played her doppleganger on Fringe which was a much different character than her main character.  Anna did it before Tatiana Maslany on Orphan Black.     

I like Anna well enough, and she did fine with her doppleganger and Nimoy's character. But she was so not in the same league as Tatiana Maslany who's managed, what, six very distinct characters? (I lost track, and this is obviously, just my opinion). I think Anna's character here is pretty believable for a semi-closeted academic.

On 10/29/2017 at 0:32 PM, Lady Calypso said:

I don't think I'm in love with the series, but it took me time to really grow to like and appreciate what this series has to offer. I think that Holden took some getting used to, but I get now that he's supposed to be mostly unlikeable but also very savvy with the way he gets serial killers to talk. He has a method that works but his overall attitude and the way he treats people and manipulates is wrong. He does what he can to elicit the results that he needs, but he does it for his own selfish gains, without consulting the people around him. His character has a whole lot of layers, many that people wouldn't agree with, but that's what took me so long to figure out and get on board with. But now I fully appreciate Jonathan Groff's ability to showcase those layers. I appreciate that he let the audience grow some kind of hatred or annoyance with Holden by this finale. I definitely didn't like him all that much, and thought his character grew into a smug, unlikeable prick....but one who's good at what he wants to accomplish. 

But that end scene with Kemper was powerful and got me to feel sympathy for Holden. That fear and complete terror of what he's been doing was portrayed very well by Groff. That was excellent acting for both actors. Cameron Britton did an excellent job as Ed Kemper, and it seems like he'll be around for a second season, which is awesome. I do think this is a turning point with Holden. I'm not sure in what way he will change, but there seems to be a new path he'll take for season two. Which, you know, is good because he needs to alter his methods so that he's working with his team, rather than them all disagreeing and creating a divide.

I really liked his acting in the last episode. That scene with Kemper was really well done. 

• Like 1
  • Love 6

I watched this mostly because my husband thought it would be interesting, but I gave up after the second episode. (He is still interested.) I do typically like procedurals and realled liked several Fincher movies (Gone Girl, Social Network, Panic Room, Se7en), but what turned me off about Mindhunter is the pervasive sexism and racism. I know the show takes place at a time when this was reality, but unfortunately, despite all the progress of the last few decades, we now find ourselves in a time when it is again acceptable among a significant portion of the country to express sexism and racism. Maybe a few years ago I would have been able to shrug this off as a period piece, a la Mad Men, but I don't need to watch a show now with these attitudes.

Spoiler

And that's not even getting into the woman-hating nature of the crimes that apparently will be a focus. 

• Sad 1
  • Love 3
50 minutes ago, Paloma said:

I watched this mostly because my husband thought it would be interesting, but I gave up after the second episode. (He is still interested.) I do typically like procedurals and realled liked several Fincher movies (Gone Girl, Social Network, Panic Room, Se7en), but what turned me off about Mindhunter is the pervasive sexism and racism. I know the show takes place at a time when this was reality, but unfortunately, despite all the progress of the last few decades, we now find ourselves in a time when it is again acceptable among a significant portion of the country to express sexism and racism. Maybe a few years ago I would have been able to shrug this off as a period piece, a la Mad Men, but I don't need to watch a show now with these attitudes.

Reveal hidden contents

And that's not even getting into the woman-hating nature of the crimes that apparently will be a focus. 

I get that. There are shows I don't watch because they're uncomfortably close to what's happening today (for a variety of reasons). For some reason, watching old sexism doesn't bother me. It reminds me that while it still exists, and is rampant again, we have, nevertheless, come a long way. 

Next season will be about the Atlanta child murders (I think that's what I read). Which will be tougher for me to distance myself from.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

That moment when one of Holden's students decided to pretend he's "negro" and Holden was like *shrug* "Oh, okay, that's fine" (and only getting annoyed at the students completely missing the point of the role-playing exercise) reminds me of what Mad Men used to do with things like one of the kids playing with a big plastic bag over her head, then the mom stops her and the show tricks you into thinking maybe she's going to yell at the kid about the suffocation danger of putting a bag over your head, but instead she yells at the kid about messing up her clothes.

There was a similar kind of pause in the scene on this show that made me think maybe Holden was going to tell that guy he's being inappropriate. And then he doesn't and the show hits you with the realization that in this particular time and place, even someone who tried to be good and more forward thinking than most of his peers wouldn't notice anything wrong here.

It's important we as a society don't forget the ugly parts of the past, so I appreciate that shows like this refresh our collective memory. The people who are happy with the idea of going back to some "golden age" are those who only have some happy shiny impression of the past.

I totally understand that feeling when you just want to get away from these issues, though. Societal issues and how that relates to individuals becoming twisted is being set up as some kind of theme in this episode already, so this is definitely not the thing to watch when you're not in the mood for too much depressing realness. Normally I don't like to watch anything depressing either, but I feel like this show gives us enough levity to balance it out.

• Love 10
On 10/19/2017 at 2:49 AM, Irlandesa said:

Did she cheat?  That was just the vaguest and weirdest sequence.  She invited him to her thing.  He said he wouldn't go.  He showed up, it's dark and she's talking to Patrick.  Granted, they were really close but that's it.  And then they were all good soon after.  I don't know if I'm supposed to think she did or if it's just that Holden is supposed to think she did.

I'm not sure I feel she cheated or not. Maybe Patrick had a crush on her and leaned very close to her in the dark, and she said gently said no? And it did make me angry when Holden got jealous that a man drove her home. Not ok.

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, dolphincorn said:

Did you all see Bill eating that Dairy Queen Blizzard in the car? Blizzards weren't even invented until 1985. I know, right?

I saw that but it didn’t look like a Blizzard, it looked like regular soft serve. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 1

She's warm, open and friendly with everyone BUT Holden (Patrick, Bill and his wife). The one time she tries to be all seductive, he says "That's not you."

I know the shoes turned him off, but his choice of words is telling. He likes her aloofness. 

• Love 3

Debbie doesn't seem like she would usually wear stiletto heels. (Platforms, wedges, and chunky heels, sure! But stilettos are not very "hippie chic".) 

But really, Holden didn't want to admit the problem is with him, so he's telling her a load of bullshit in that moment anyway.

• Love 2

I checked this series out at the recommendation of a coworker and was instantly hooked.  I was excited to figure out in this episode that the BTK vignettes were going to be a running feature. But it was a bit depressing to realize we won't be watching the guys catch Rader.  That didn't happen till the 2000s, if I recall correctly.  

• Love 3

Yikes! How can no one see that an adult male tickling a childs feet for money is wrong! It is just gross no matter his intention. that principal is escalating and I hope we see what happens when people ignore the obvious signs. If the parents are complaining something is wrong!

I think Debbie is pregnant. Who gains half a shoe size without reason? 

• Love 4

I figured she just was lying about her shoe size to begin with. People do it a lot - wasn't it in Cinderella, the evil step sisters lying about their shoe size to try the glass slipper? Ha.

Also, my feet grew half a size around the time I graduated university. It was seriously annoying as I'd accumulated quite the shoe/boot collection and suddenly none of them fit.

• Like 1
On 11/2/2017 at 1:03 PM, IndianPaintbrush said:

I'm struggling to understand the point of Debbie's character. She comes across as quite a cold fish, and I have no idea why she likes Holden. I hope she's gone soon.

I thought it was interesting how so many people in 1978 thought it was no big deal for a school principal to be tickling kids. It was obviously a compulsion he couldn't control. He would be fired much faster in today's culture.

I'm curious why there's been no mention of Ted Bundy yet. He was arrested for the final time in February 1978, and went on trial the next year.

Ted Bundy feels like a jarring omission.

Gacy doesn't get discovered until the end of 1978 but I man I hope they reference him somewhere in the next season.

• Love 2

Were people still saying "Negro" in the late 1970's? I feel like that would have been passe by then and black would have already been in place as the default pronoun to refer to African-Americans.

One thing I really loved was the Pittsburgh filming locations. I've always thought Pittsburgh would be the perfect place to film period t.v. shows because it just feels so much like it belongs to another time, and they took some great advantage of that.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1
On 10/29/2017 at 4:15 PM, Irlandesa said:

I really thought

Spoiler

it was never a cat to begin with, and it was a serial killer that was meowing like a cat. So my theory was close but not quite. I do wonder if the future serial killer is spying on Wendy.

Edited by methodwriter85
On 10/28/2017 at 0:28 PM, kariyaki said:

Carr knew that and was accepting of it. The problem she was having was that A: Ford would start off-book, which was fine to open the lines of communication, but then never get ON-book and use the questionnaire. And B: that he redacted his off-color opening salvo with Speck and lied about it, thereby blindsiding her.

So Holden consistently ignored the questionnaire altogether? If the writers were trying to make that clear, I don't think they did a very good job of it.

• Love 2

Wow, that last scene with Holden and Kemper was so tense. When he stomped his big feet on the ground and then got up to stand in fron of Holden. 

I really enjoyed this show and I'm looking forward to season 2. I don't know much about the Atlanta Child murders so I'll have to do some research.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I couldn't help but notice there was a lot of room on Holden's right when Kemper "cornered" him in the hospital room, so if Holden scooted to the side really quickly, Kemper couldn't have touched him. Of course, that would have looked really silly, so the show wouldn't have done that. And it's easy for me to say "scoot to the side!" when I'm not the one with a giant towering over me and threatening to kill me.

• Love 2

Anyone else have a problem watching episode 10?  I got to the end of episode 9 over a week ago, and I just have no interest in watching the final.  I've read enough to get the gist of what happens in episode 10, just can't make myself do it.

That last bit where that guy sent in the tape just left a horrible taste in my mouth.  I can't see what purpose it serves other than to beat up on Holden even more.  What is the purpose of beating up on Holden so much?  

They've done a nice job showing *me* (I get milage may vary for others on this) why he's coming unglued and more difficult to work with.  He's got a crappy girlfriend.  He's got this idea at work that he has dragged people kicking and screaming into and now they are getting responsibility and credit he's not.  I thought he behaved quite well when Bill got his own office and he didn't actually.  Wendy comes in and immediate sets herself up as their superior, regardless of what she told the boss guy who's name I can't remember at the moment.

I adore Anna Torv, but what a terrible manager/researcher.  You're a female and going to a high security prison really isn't a good idea for you, I get that. But maybe you should just pay more attention to what the guys are saying and figure out a way around the difficulties before just insisting "do it my way".  She's expecting serial killers to behave somewhat rationally and respond the way "normal" people do.  I get it's the early days, but gosh, how hard is it to figure that out???

And Bill, gee thanks for leaving Holden out to hang when it was *you* pushing him to leave out the language.  Great partner you are.  Did he ever once say, I told him it was a good idea?  Nope.

So while I understand why Holden is being an ass in the last episode... I.just.don't.care.  I don't watch this show to see a character keep getting beat up on, regardless if I think he deserves it or not.  I watch this show to see people interview serial killers and develop the science behind understanding them.  Give me that.  Not three *incredibly* flawed, if not full up asses, behaving badly and in between maybe talk about serial killers a little bit.  Honestly, I think their boss might be the only guy I don't hate at the moment.

The weird thing this show has caused me to do is actually start watching Criminal Minds again.  I was never an avid watcher, but I've caught an episode or two in the past.  The thing that show does?  Talks to serial killers and talks about the science of how they think!  I was hoping Mindkiller would be an actual *good* version of Criminal Minds.  Guess not.

• Sad 1
  • Love 3
On 10/20/2017 at 11:59 AM, Jade Foxx said:

alien pretending to be human. 

^^^ I immediately thought he’s a few ticks away from being a serial killer himself. 

I kind of wish the show would have the guts and freedom to go there, but it's based on a real-life serial killer profiler so I can't see them going there. Still, Groff is playing Holden as a pretty odd person.

• Love 2

The point that Douglas made in his autobiography and that Michael Mann picked up on in "Manhunter" (film of Thomas Harris' "Red Dragon" book) was that Douglas has this dual side to him he finds hard to reconcile.  Part of him is a normal human being who is compassionate and law-abiding.  The other part of him is demented and understands the mind of a dastardly serial killer.  He hates that side of himself but knows that he must tap into it to find the killers and get them off the street.  

This schism in his mind finally leads to a nervous breakdown.

It's really fascinating.  I've been following this "franchise" (if a man can be a franchise) since the 80s.

(This is an oversimplification.)

Edited by Captanne
  • Like 1
  • Love 5

Debbie is just not nice to him. That's what bothers me about him. She's friendly to others but when she talks to him or about him, she's snide and dismissive. 

As for the principal, he's clearly a weirdo. I mean, if he wasn't, if someone said "Hey, it's strange that you tickle kids and it makes the parents uncomfortable" he'd say "Oh I didn't mean to be offensive. If it bothers people, I will stop." but instead he would argue each and every time how he should be able to tickle and THEY are all crazy for telling him to stop. No dude. Just stop. If it's not a big weird thing, you should easily be able to stop and find something else to do for the kids when they're being punished. So creepy. 

• Love 5
On 10/29/2017 at 10:10 AM, Lady Calypso said:

Brudos was rightfully creepy. I would have been surprised if he hadn't have gotten to Holden. That shoes scene was definitely disturbing. I am also confused by the song choice with Holden and Debbie, but maybe she just really likes the song. Also, in the shoe store scene, when the sales associate told her that she went up half a shoe size, my immediate thought was that she's pregnant. 

I also would never go into the public laundry room with no pants or shoes. Even in 1977, though I wasn't even born then. It would just feel unsanitary and gross to me. 

A really good scene with Tench and his wife about his work but also about their son.

Just started this series a few days ago. Yes, I’m hooked. 

That was my first thought too. My feet went up a half size with each kid!

And am I the only one who has never seen a size 16 women’s shoe? Especially in a stiletto?!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Ms. Rob0t and I watched this tonight and I found it interesting how we both interpreted the final scene differently. She felt Holden saying “it’s not you” was him calling her out for acting OOC, whereas I felt he was (poorly) trying to explain away his lack of arousal as not being her fault. 

After all, you can’t shoot pool with a rope. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Mr. R0b0t said:

Ms. Rob0t and I watched this tonight and I found it interesting how we both interpreted the final scene differently. She felt Holden saying “it’s not you” was him calling her out for acting OOC, whereas I felt he was (poorly) trying to explain away his lack of arousal as not being her fault. 

After all, you can’t shoot pool with a rope. 

That's interesting. My reading was entirely that he was calling her out, but I can see the other interpretation as well.

I'm loving this series, and the musical tracks for this show are pretty damn good.  Even though I was only 13 in 1977, I thought the Bobby Caldwell song "What you won't do for love" was one of the most romantic I ever heard.   I had to hear the whole thing after hearing the clip.  I just listened to it twice ....*LOL*

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Am I the only one who thought maybe they were setting up Tench's son to have deviant behavior? I just read someone say he was autistic - and looking back I can see how that makes sense - but with this show being about serial killers, that's just where my mind went first. Especially because it seemed like he was very angry when Holden knocked over his lincoln log tower and was keeping himself in check.

Also, I know that Holden was trying to prevent the principal from escalating to hurting a child, but after hearing his wife and seeing him drinking in the parking lot, I wondered if his firing was actually a stressor and the thing to set him off. So actually Holden has unknowingly set in motion the future actions he was trying to prevent.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 10/18/2017 at 3:16 AM, Bec said:

He should do an audiobook for Mindhunter (the book). I would buy the hell out of that.

Completely different genre, but I just finished a 3-episode podcast/radio musical that he stars in, called 36 Questions. It's just him and one other person, so it's definitely a lot of him talking! (and singing) It is taking me a bit to get used to his voice in this serious role, having just heard him in something so different. But I agree it's a very lilting, lovely voice.