Type keyword(s) to search

Past Seasons Discussion

I randomly clicked on this show not knowing anything about the original and I absolutely loved it.  The first few episodes were hard to get into but once they established the characters and found their groove I was hooked.  I laughed and cried equally.  I'm going to need Season 2 for sure. 

• Love 3

I'm on the fence about this show. I want to love it, and I love most of the characters, but I hate the laugh track so much, plus I feel they are trying to tackle too many serious issues in too few episodes for a sitcom.  Every episode is starting to feel like a "Very Special Episode" to me.  I'll probably watch out the season, but it's not on my must see list.

5 hours ago, mansonlamps said:

I'm on the fence about this show. I want to love it, and I love most of the characters, but I hate the laugh track so much, plus I feel they are trying to tackle too many serious issues in too few episodes for a sitcom.  Every episode is starting to feel like a "Very Special Episode" to me.  I'll probably watch out the season, but it's not on my must see list.

What episode are you on? Keep watching. I promise the payoff is worth it.

ODaaT has always been a message-oriented show. This reboot is no different, but takes the message in a fresh and modern direction.

We have already watched it through together, but I came home yesterday to find my daughter rewatching again on her own. These are messages that I'm proud my 13yr old girl is taking to heart, it has opened several frank discussions between us and brought us closer. Great show, and funny!

Also that's not a laugh track, but a studio audience, just like the original.

• Love 4

The finale got one last set of tears out of me.  I knew I was in trouble when they avoided showing the final iteration of the dress and only showed Elena and Penelope tearing up, but when Elena came out and Lydia had turned the dress into a suit that was both A) perfect for Elena, and B) gorgeous, it brought home how much Lydia and Penelope had been able to make the quinces that was actually something Elena would want.  Especially with Schneider flying in Carmen as a surprise and Lydia teaching her the dance over Skype.

If they can give Fuller House multiple seasons, they can damn well give this another one.  And damn well give Rita an Emmy nomination.

• Love 15

I'm surprised it took them this long. The critics and internet buzz was very positive right out the gate. And the cast has been getting a lot of attention from the press. I'm thrilled, I really love this show.

1 hour ago, Desiree said:

I'm surprised it took them this long. The critics and internet buzz was very positive right out the gate. And the cast has been getting a lot of attention from the press. I'm thrilled, I really love this show.

I think it might be because this wasn't developed by Netflix for Netflix but rather Sony.  A new season would have to be negotiated in a way it wouldn't if it were an in-house project. 

I didn't plan on watching this simply because I already watch so much currently and I didn't really think I had the time. But some friends were talking about how good it was, so I thought I'd give it a try. And boy am I glad I did because it was just a wonderful watch. 

I'm with you on there being chem between Penelope and Schneider, @SiobhanJW. I expect them to go there eventually, especially after Penelope's reaction to clean-shaven Schneider in the finale. Although, I have to say, I do not agree with her at all there! He lost about 50% of his attractiveness without the beard imo.

I also share the love many have for Carmen. I really adored her. I hope we get more of her next season.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I also share the love many have for Carmen. I really adored her. I hope we get more of her next season.

The actress was cast as a regular on Hulu's Marvel series Runaways, so she may not be available.

On 3/13/2017 at 2:28 AM, ApathyMonger said:

The actress was cast as a regular on Hulu's Marvel series Runaways, so she may not be available.

Bummer. Hopefully she can make at least one appearance. She's fun. I love her deadpan delivery. It's how I imagine my daughter would have turned out if I had had one. That's actually kind of a frightening thought now that I think about it. 

• Love 2

I expect them to go there eventually, especially after Penelope's reaction to clean-shaven Schneider in the finale. Although, I have to say, I do not agree with her at all there! He lost about 50% of his attractiveness without the beard imo.

I agree he looked better with the beard, but he did look good in that suit.

• Love 2
On 4/27/2017 at 5:49 PM, greekmom said:

Anyone know when Season 2 is happening?

I want to say they are starting up again any day now. I'm going to the Paley event this Thursday so I'll report back if they happen to mention it. 

• Love 2

They start back up filming at the end of this month, first taping is the 31st. They didn't give away any upcoming storylines. Norman Lear was there and although he looked like they revived him only hours before the panel, apparently he's got enough energy to want a third season. 

• Love 1

For those who missed it, earlier this month One Day At A Time won four Imagen Awards, honoring the positive portrayal and creative excellence of Latinos and Latino cultures on screen:

Best Primetime Television Program - Comedy

Best Actress - Television - Justina Machado

Best Supporting Actress - Television - Isabella Gomez

Best Younger Actor - Television - Marcel Ruiz

Congratulations all!

• Love 1
On 3/13/2017 at 3:28 AM, ApathyMonger said:

I kind of get a kick out of her character on Runaways too, even though its the polar opposite of Carmen.  I guess that's the sign of a good actress.  But I do hope they found a way of including her in Season 2 of this show as well.

• Love 1

A place to discuss all episodes of the second season of the Netflix revival.  Please note that this is not a catch-all topic.  Check the forum for other threads relating to the classic show, the first season of the revival, character threads and media topics. 

All episodes of the second season will be released on January 26, 2018.

Super happy to have this show back! They are really jumping in hard this season with the mix of serious topical stuff with sitcom family hijinks. Elena being super upset about being lighter complected, her annoyance with Snyder speaking better Spanish than her, and nobody seeming to know what Latinex is, were all great. Funny, and interesting. 

I forgot how much I liked the theme song. Its so catchy! 

• Love 3

Love this show. I’ve already binged season two. They leaned heavy in the issues this time around (this is the racism episode, this is the depression episode, etc) but it was still very enjoyable. 

The one thing I didn’t like much is it felt they leaned in a little too hard on Elena being awkward/nerdy when it seems last season she was more unconventional yet pretty comfortable in being someone who would never fits the norms, not someone who just doesn’t know what to do with herself. I get her being awkward navigating her first romantic relationship, but it spilled over into everything. I wish they would ease up on that in the future. Other minor complaint is I wish we had seen more of the ladies from Penelope’s support group. I enjoy them.

But otherwise, it was great. For some reason I really appreciated Penelope admitting that Schneider is basically her best friend. Yeah, he’s an annoying doof most of the time, but he’s the one Penelope always turns to for help/advice. And Rita Moreno is a treasure. And 86! Every time I watch her on this show I think about how I should start doing yoga or something.

Edited by Kostgard
  • Love 7

The last episode was a real tough one for me.   I lost my Mom on Jan 6 very suddenly.   Since she lived with us, albeit in her own in law suite, I miss her every day.  Very happy that she recovered, but boy, were the waterworks flowing for me!

• Love 11

I love this show. I binged all of S2 yesterday.

My favorite LOL moment was during the lockdown when Lydia goes to the window and yells "We have a gun!" at the police. I straight up died. And rewinded it three or four times. Lydia's lines make me crack up the most.

We do not deserve Rita Moreno.

The stuff with Penelope and Alex at the movies was funny. Who actually pays for concessions anymore (besides popcorn)? We always buy stuff we want cheaper and sneak it in.

Justina Machado deserves more recognition. She kills it. The episode where Penelope stops taking her antidepressants, that felt real and got to me. It really is a struggle. I just read an article that said Justina did her scene talking to Lydia in her hospital room in one take. Wowza.

Schneider's talk with Lydia in the finale got to me, too.

I hope Penelope and Max get back together. Chemistry off the charts.

I don't really like Elena's girlfriend. Just not my cup of tea. I feel like there's too many jokes at her expense, like about her not having a nickname, and playing up how everyone loves Alex so much. It seems like they played up Elena's nerdy ways, too. I'm glad she got to speak her mind to her dad, though, it sucks that he wanted to avoid her. I hope Victor comes around and I love that Alex stuck up for her.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, ShortyMac said:

I love this show. I binged all of S2 yesterday.

My favorite LOL moment was during the lockdown when Lydia goes to the window and yells "We have a gun!" at the police. I straight up died. And rewinded it three or four times. Lydia's lines make me crack up the most.

We do not deserve Rita Moreno.

The stuff with Penelope and Alex at the movies was funny. Who actually pays for concessions anymore (besides popcorn)? We always buy stuff we want cheaper and sneak it in.

Justina Machado deserves more recognition. She kills it. The episode where Penelope stops taking her antidepressants, that felt real and got to me. It really is a struggle. I just read an article that said Justina did her scene talking to Lydia in her hospital room in one take. Wowza.

Schneider's talk with Lydia in the finale got to me, too.

I hope Penelope and Max get back together. Chemistry off the charts.

I don't really like Elena's girlfriend. Just not my cup of tea. I feel like there's too many jokes at her expense, like about her not having a nickname, and playing up how everyone loves Alex so much. It seems like they played up Elena's nerdy ways, too. I'm glad she got to speak her mind to her dad, though, it sucks that he wanted to avoid her. I hope Victor comes around and I love that Alex stuck up for her.

I loved that moment during the lockdown too - not only did she yell “We’ve got a gun!” at the police, she started waving it around at them! Lydia is the best.

And I agree about Justina Machado. She always knocks it out of the park. She really ought to get some Emmy recognition.

• Love 3

Wow, I was right there with the studio audience on the emotional roller coaster of the final episode. I cheered right along with them when Lydia said it wasn't her time to go yet. Thank God, because Rita Moreno is a gift to us all, and a world where she doesn't have a TV show is a lesser one. 

I really loved this season, even more than season 1. I felt like they found an even better balance between the comedy and the drama, and when they dealt with various issues (immigration, gun control, mental health) it came off as topical, but not so much that they will seem dated in a year. It feels really sincere and earned, and not just a Very Special Episode. They even gave more depth to Dr. B and Scheider, who were more comic relief characters last season. They still are, but they were also written as very human and allowed to have more dramatic moments, especially Schnieder. I loved his whole scene talking to Penelope about her medication, when she called him her best friend. And his whole talk with Lydia while she was in the hospital. That really got me. 

Elena showing up dressed as original Schnieder as new Schnieders assistant made me laugh so freaking hard. Almost as hard as when Penelope was sneaking food into the theater. That IS my mother. 

My one complaint is all the stuff about Elena being unpopular at school, when last season I thought she had some friends, like the guy who everyone thought was her boyfriend. Minor problem though. 

Have I mentioned how much I love Lydia? "Oh thank God my nails are done!" 

• Love 13

This show makes me laugh out loud like no other show on right now.

I mean, things are funny and you smile or are amused *internally*, but my wife had to look up at one point during our plane ride and say, "What on earth are you laughing at so much?!!!!"

• Love 1

Does anyone know if there's a place with all the Spanish translated? I like that they don't usually translate it. I get about 60% but not all though. The one I do want to know what was said is during the flashback episode where Berto said something to/about Schneider (in blond/frosted hair).

• Love 2

I loved this season too--maybe more than the first.  I had read that they didn't shy away from drama this season which made me a little worried it'd lose how funny the show is but I didn't feel that way at all.  It's like the first 15-20 minutes was pure comedy with about 5 or 10 minutes going hard on the drama.  I also agree that it was topical but not too on the nose.

Some of my biggest laughs came from "latinx"--"is that a kleenex made in Cuba?  If so, they are the best kleenex."

Or Schneider taking off his glasses and asking Penelope if she'd like to take a drive.

I need a third season, ASAP.

• Love 3

Loved this season even more than the first one. I completely agree with Kostgard regarding Elena being too nerdy this season. Last season, she had a boyfriend for the dance and Carmen as a best friend. This season, they went way too much on Elena being a nerdy outcast. I hope they tone it down for next season. I really liked Alex/Lydia - Lydia and her Papito are my second favorite couple after Penelope and Max. Speaking of Max, I hope that they reconcile because he is really terrific and seems to love the kids. Loved how Dr. Berkowitz and Lydia were able to work out their friendship/relationship. Also loved seeing Berto several times. 

Penelope's depression episode - and Schneider's assistance - were great. I enjoyed seeing both Lydia and Schneider become citizens - and Lydia's freakout when she thought there was an issue.

Penelope speaking to her mom on her possible deathbed killed me. I lost my dad suddenly two years ago and that scene was dead on point. When Lydia told Berto "not yet" - I actually cheered along with the studio audience. 

Terrific show - it is Season 3 yet??

• Love 5
1 hour ago, LisaM said:

Speaking of Max, I hope that they reconcile because he is really terrific and seems to love the kids.

I do need them to reconcile because their chemistry was great and I really love that actor.  

On 1/27/2018 at 3:06 PM, Kostgard said:

And Rita Moreno is a treasure. And 86! Every time I watch her on this show I think about how I should start doing yoga or something.

I need her to not die before this show ends. They can't replace her and I don't know that I want to watch the show without her. 

I watched the whole season over the weekend. I was so happy it was back and I love it so much! I really appreciate how they touch on the current issues. I had 2 Hispanic foster kids living with me for a while and the older one was told, more than once, to go back where she came from.  I really did love Elena's whole thing stressing the importance of local elections. The whole season was great. (Except Elena's extreme nerdiness which I'm going to chalk up to the newness of being out)

• Love 5