Type keyword(s) to search

Past Seasons Discussion

Just started watching this.  I'm trying to understand why the show is about Cubans when the two leads are Puerto Ricans.  Many of the storylines would still work.

I like the show, but I could do without the laugh track.  And it may just have been the first episode, but some of the jokes were so forced. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, luckyroll3 said:

Just started watching this.  I'm trying to understand why the show is about Cubans when the two leads are Puerto Ricans.  Many of the storylines would still work.

I like the show, but I could do without the laugh track.  And it may just have been the first episode, but some of the jokes were so forced. 

One of the creators of the show Gloria Calderon Kallette is a Cuban-American so the show is based on her life experiences. Justina (who's also 1/4 Cuban-American) and Rita were cast because of their talent and they address this very issue in every interview they've done for the show.

Keep watching. It's fantastic.

Edited by maraleia
  • Love 6

The reviews are in... and they're great.

CNN: 'One Day at a Time' gives reboots a good name

"One Day at a Time" is that rarest of reboots, one that takes the bones of the original Norman Lear comedy that premiered in 1975 and transforms it into something fresh and vital. Buoyed by a terrific cast -- including an utterly ageless Rita Moreno -- it's the kind of show that could give both TV's nostalgia wave and the ailing sitcom format good names.

Vulture: Netflix’s One Day at a Time Is Unpretentious, Artful, and a Pure Delight

noteworthy is the way this One Day continues the ’70s sitcom tradition of shifting between broad comedy and quietly despairing drama and back again. The revelations and anecdotes always come from psychology and personal history rather than from any evident desire on the part of the writers to unnerve or shock us, and such scenes always find a graceful way to climb down from that jagged emotional peak and return to lighthearted sitcom mode.

The Washington Post: In Netflix’s perfect revival of ‘One Day at a Time,’ there’s hope for the future of sitcoms

Well, they only had to remake a jillion TV shows from yesteryear to finally get one exactly, perfectly right. 

And a general piece, not a review, that's interesting:

Daily Beast: The ‘One Day at a Time’ We So Badly Need: Inside Norman Lear’s Latino Sitcom Remake

In fact, as Variety notes, Lear “reviewed every script, attended run-throughs, and even warmed up the audience before tapings,”

1 hour ago, maraleia said:

One of the creators of the show Gloria Calderon Kallette is a Cuban-American so the show is based on her life experiences. Justina (who's also 1/4 Cuban-American) and Rita were cast because of their talent and they address this very issue in every interview they've done for the show.

Keep watching. It's fantastic.

That makes sense then.  I don't have a problem with it being about Cubans, I was just wondering given the backgrounds of the leads, who I think are fantastic (and are doing a great job playing Cubans).  I'm sure they were the best over any Cuban actresses.  We should just be happy Zoe Saldana didn't get one of the roles....

I'm 10 episodes in and I think it's great.  If it was a once a week show, I probably wouldn't have made it past the first episode, but they definitely found the right balance between comedy, drama, and cheesy.

• Love 5

Salon: This is it: “One Day at a Time” is the unifying family sitcom we didn’t know we needed

To those familiar only with Machado’s dramatic work on series such as “Six Feet Under,” her nimble work in “One Day at a Time” is a revelation. Remarkable in her previous supporting roles, here she not only holds the center but demonstrates a natural aptitude for finding the comedy in the beats between the punchlines. Fortunately the reboot gives Machado ample space to use her established dramatic tools as well, particularly as the season draws to its satisfying close.

CBS News: Rito Moreno interviewed

Norman Lear Discusses Reimagining One Day at a Time

Variety: Norman Lear on Ending His Long TV Absence With ‘One Day at a Time’

Lear credits Royce and Calderon Kellett as the driving forces behind the series. But his own involvement was far more hands-on than that of many high-clout executive producers who slap their names above a title and then simply cash their checks. Though he steered largely (but not entirely) clear of the writers’ room, he provided notes on every draft of every script.

“When we were in pre-production, breaking stories, breaking arcs, he was in it and had very strong ideas,” says Glenn Adilman, executive vice president of comedy development for Sony Pictures Television, which produces the series. “He’s at every table read, every run-through.”

Calderon Kellett recalls Lear fighting to keep a joke about “Jesus shit” in an early episode. Sony and Netflix had given notes cautioning against the use of the phrase in what was being marketed as a family show but told the producers they could keep it if they insisted. “Norman was like, ‘Let’s do it! Screw everyone!’” Calderon Kellett recalls. She and Royce eventually talked Lear into accepting the milder “Jesus crap.” However, she adds, “Norman still feels like it should have been ‘Jesus shit.’”

Lear was also present at every taping. As with his old shows, “One Day at a Time” was shot in front of a live audience. Lear warmed up the crowd before filming began on each episode, telling jokes and sharing stories. After waxing nostalgic about his career before episode nine, for instance, he called a woman from the audience up and attempted to get her to help him with the set-up to a complicated joke. When she stumbled through multiple attempts, he berated her. But then, when she finally stuck the landing, he forgot the punchline. After the audience’s laughter cleared, Lear revealed that the woman was one of his five daughters.

“I wanted to deal with the election cycle, but we couldn’t.”

NORMAN LEAR

Finished all 13 episodes. Really enjoyed it and hope there is a season 2.  I have to say I was skeptical at first because the original One Day at a Time was my favourite Lear show.

The cast was very well done.  I really liked Penelope, Lydia, Alex, Elena and Schnieder.  Supporting cast was well done - from Carmen the goth bff to Dr. B.  The storylines touched on today such as the original ODAAT did back in the early 80s. 

I enjoyed the cameo from Mackenzie Phillips and hope that Valerie Bertinelli can do one in Season 2.   I liked the relationship between Penelope and the car saleslady who was also a vet.  I'm hoping that Penelope meets up again with the guy from the gay bar in season 2.  

Keeping fingers crossed this gets renewed.

• Love 5

On episode 3, and so far loving it. 

This is very much what I remember sitcoms being like, before I became ashamed of watching them. 

I no longer wonder how much Lear had to do with this. Between interviews and actually watching it you get a clear picture. He didn't write anything cultural, or how they speak, or even most of the specific jokes, but you can see his script doctoring in how there's (at least as of Episode 3) no "very special episode" aspect to these, and yet it manages to address actual issues. The usual bullshit framing devices lesser sitcoms use to go serious are absent, and they just talk like human being instead of message robots. That's Lear's touch. 

As good as Rita Moreno is in this, Justina Machado is the real MVP. I had no clue she was this funny, but she effortlessly emotes during the serious bits too. 

Hopefully the industry will toss some Emmys at this, and the message will be sent: multi-cam sitcoms didn't start to suck because they were multi-cam sitcoms. They sucked because the writing and acting was shit.  And Machado better get one of those Emmys (I'm prepared to say that based just on three episodes too). 

• Love 11

I am only two episodes in, and this is delightful so far. The binge continues!

I just got to the episode where the grandma is putting up all the pictures of my Pope, which got a huge laugh out of me and my sister because our mom is OBSESSED with the Pope! She has a Pope calendar, reads all his books, has pictures everywhere, the whole thing. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 2

I was stuck inside this weekend and I decided to give this a try.  I'm so glad I did.  What a good show.  It did take a little while to get used the laugh track.  I think we're just not used to them anymore.  I really like the whole cast.  The kids were good. The topics were surprising how they handled such important issues in a smart and funny way.  I've seen Justina Machado in lots of things over the years.  I remember her mostly from Six Feet Under.  She was amazing in this series.  The show wouldn't have worked as well is she wasn't so good.

I would recommend this show to anyone.  Hope we get a 2nd season.

• Love 2

My partner and I watched all thirteen episodes on a snowy Saturday in New York and we loved it. It felt old-fashioned yet new. I thought they had lost the formula for this kind of show. It was terrific all around. 

• Love 5

Just finished. Such a cute & charming show. I laughed pretty hard several times. All the characters & actors are fabulous in this. Rita Moreno is such an icon, I just adore her so much. Love Schneider, he cracked me up and he's great with the kids. Justina is fabulous in this, I have only seen her in serious things (which she's fabulous in as well), she's hysterical in this. The kids are perfectly cast and I love how Dr.B was part of the family at the end. 

I knew Victor would end up bailing. Loved Elenas Quince outfit! It was perfect! And Alex with the blanket over his head during the sex talk, and then giving it to his sister later, LOVED IT! 

Anyone think that the road is leading to an eventual Penelope/Schneider hook up or was that just me thinking that? 

Hope we get a Season 2!! 

Edited by SiobhanJW
  • Love 3

That makes sense then.  I don't have a problem with it being about Cubans, I was just wondering given the backgrounds of the leads, who I think are fantastic (and are doing a great job playing Cubans).  I'm sure they were the best over any Cuban actresses.

I'm with you on that.  I thought it was strange to cast the actresses in a show where such a big deal was made about the characters being Cuban. 

I thought the show was all right, but I really, really hope they tone down the laugh track next season.  It got to the point where I felt like they were using the track for every other line. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I'm with you on that.  I thought it was strange to cast the actresses in a show where such a big deal was made about the characters being Cuban. 

I thought the show was all right, but I really, really hope they tone down the laugh track next season.  It got to the point where I felt like they were using the track for every other line. 

To be fair Justina is 1/4 Cuban-American and one of the showrunners Gloria Calderon-Kellett's mom looks like Rita so that's why they approached her for the role.

• Love 2
On 1/9/2017 at 4:21 AM, SiobhanJW said:

Anyone think that the road is leading to an eventual Penelope/Schneider hook up or was that just me thinking that?  

Why must every show have a cliched inevitable hook-up?

Frankly I'd cringe if they did this.  Both because of the cliche aspect, but also because Schneider in this show seems almost young enough to be another one of her kids (to be clear, that would be equally icky seeming if their ages were reversed).

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Kromm said:

Why must every show have a cliched inevitable hook-up?

Frankly I'd cringe if they did this.  Both because of the cliche aspect, but also because Schneider in this show seems almost young enough to be another one of her kids (to be clear, that would be equally icky seeming if their ages were reversed).

I'm not saying that every show needs to have a "cliched inevitable hook up" I don't care either way. But I sensed some chemistry. 

Also in regards to the ages, I believe that they stated he was in his 40's while they said that Penelope was 38. Even without them mentioning that, I didn't get that vibe that he was young enough to be one of her kids. 

• Love 7

I remember them mention his age of 40, which is what the actor is, and her as 38, which 6 years younger than Justina.  I dont liek the idea of a hook up right now, she needs to get her life together and move on from the ex.  I would prefer a close friend/brother/sister relationship.  But maybe in a few seasons, if it lasts that long.

• Love 2

I just finished the first season, and enjoyed pretty much everything about the show. Justina Machado is absolutely wonderful, and I can't sing Rita Moreno's praises enough - the woman can play anything from comedy to heartbreaking drama brilliantly. The scene where she remembers leaving her older sister behind in Cuba was beyond Emmy worthy. The rest of the cast is terrific as well, and Gloria Estefan's version of the theme song is perfect. I love that the show can bring up and explore topical issues without stepping too far over the line into heavy-handed territory.

The only change from the original series that rubbed me the wrong way was making Schneider rich. To me, that goes against the premise of the show - to watch your characters struggle with the serious issues of life "one day at a time." The only times I rolled my eyes were when Schneider paid for Carmen's bus ticket to Texas, and then her plane ticket back for the party at the end - that's too easy a solution for these characters.  I also have to say I found Schneider much more attractive with the beard than without, so I hope he grows it back for Season 2.

But my absolute favorite moment of the series? Rita Moreno's (literal) Electric Company shoutout in the finale:

• Love 5
15 hours ago, giovannif7 said:

I also have to say I found Schneider much more attractive with the beard than without, so I hope he grows it back for Season 2.

Same here. Bearded Schneider is quite attractive with the beard, and just alright without. As for Schneider and Penelope, I dont see real romantic tension right now. She more treats him like an annoying but lovable brother than an actual romantic option. But in a few seasons? Maybe?

I cant wait for season two! I loved this season, and I need more in my life.  

• Love 1

One of the things I think is key - besides all of the talented people involved and Lear's touch -- is the length.  So much time has been shaved off a 30 min sitcom.  They used to be about 25 mins out of 30.  Now they are more like 22 and occasionally dip even below 20.  That doesn't sound like a lot, but setting up jokes takes time, particularly on a 3-camera show where you can't use as many cuts or narration or other bridges to hold the narrative together.

• Love 4

I just finished binge watching all of Season 1 -- and I loved it. I've seen Justina Machado in many other roles but she was a revelation here - comedic, tragic, terrific. Rita Moreno was, as usual, wonderful. All of the other casting - especially Dr. Berkowitz and the two kids - was dead on. I also liked many of the guest cast - Judy Reyes as the gay friend that Penelope goes to for help, Kenneth from Speechless as the Uber driver, Bianca from All My Children as the hotel rep. I liked how they wove in so many social issues without being on a soapbox. I rarely watch comedies but this was something special. I hope they get a Season 2.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, LisaM said:

I just finished binge watching all of Season 1 -- and I loved it. I've seen Justina Machado in many other roles but she was a revelation here - comedic, tragic, terrific. Rita Moreno was, as usual, wonderful. All of the other casting - especially Dr. Berkowitz and the two kids - was dead on. I also liked many of the guest cast - Judy Reyes as the gay friend that Penelope goes to for help, Kenneth from Speechless as the Uber driver, Bianca from All My Children as the hotel rep. I liked how they wove in so many social issues without being on a soapbox. I rarely watch comedies but this was something special. I hope they get a Season 2.

I was about to comment, but LisaM just posted pretty much exactly what I was going to post. 

• Love 1

My favorite secondary character is Carmen full stop.

Also for anyone who wants to know the feminists featured in Elena's quinces seating chart were Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Hillary Clinton, Oprah Winfrey, Gertrude Stein, Frida Khalo, Rosie the Riveter, Maya Angelou, Eleanor Roosevelt, Sonia Sotomayor, Dorothy Parker, Rosa Parks and Eva Peron.

Edited by maraleia
  • Love 13

Hi, I just watched all of this and it was wonderful. Everything I dislike in regards to traditional sitcoms paled in comparison to the writing and acting. Yeah, there was some cheesy stuff but it was really touching. I definitely found myself crying a few times during the show. Especially at the end. 

Also, I want to take a moment to shout the credits and theme song. I am actually Cuban-American (who also went to Catholic school!), and Gloria Estefan's update is pitch perfect as are the actual credits. It honestly felt a lot like looking through the old photos of my parents from when they were kids in Cuba (though mostly my dad). I always laugh though because it's like old pictures of Cuba..then Schnider's Instagrams?? So weird.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, maraleia said:

Also for anyone who wants to know the feminists featured in Elena's quinces seating chart were Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Hillary Clinton, Oprah Winfrey, Gertrude Stein, Frida Khalo, Rosie the Riveter, Maya Angelou, Eleanor Roosevelt, Sonia Sotomayor, Dorothy Parker, Rosa Parks and Eva Peron.

I LOVE Carmen was was bummed when she went to Texas. I know the show is about the family and Schnider but she was a really fun addition to their dynamic. 

• Love 9

I really like Carmen too. I really liked how they kept her in the storyline via Skype even after she moved to Texas. I also liked how the show brought in the vet at the car dealership for several episodes as well as Judy Reyes' character. I think that Dr. Berkowitz is my favorite secondary character. I love the actor and the character's budding friendship with Lydia is great.

This show has really stuck in my head. I hope they get a second - and third - season. The cast has wild chemistry.

• Love 4

I just binged the first season in 2 days. (Family?  What family?)  I really can't say how much I loved it. What a refreshingly wonderful show!  

And I UGLY cried at the end. A lesser show would have done the "magically he shows up when you think he's gone and Everything Is Ok!" but they didn't and I'm glad. Even with the crying migraine I now have. 

• Love 4

I'm at episode 2 and I love it. I've got to stop watching Friends every afternoon and explore Netflix more often! Especially since Netflix is available via Comcast now. Anyway, the only nitpick I have is with the length of the daughter's uniform skirt. I have never seen one that long at any private school. 

I love that the apartment layout is the same! Although it must be a 3 bedroom unit and not 2.

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Duckie30ca said:

And I UGLY cried at the end. A lesser show would have done the "magically he shows up when you think he's gone and Everything Is Ok!" but they didn't and I'm glad. Even with the crying migraine I now have. 

As I just tweeted: "One Day At A Time is a great comedy: I haven't cried this much since election night. #odaat @netflix"

But, seriously, how great of a debut for Isabella Gomez: she more than held her own amidst a superb cast.

Never watched the original, but I really enjoyed the reboot. Great cast (though the excuses for Tobolowsky to interact with the family got fairly thin at times), great theme song, funny, and decent storylines.

I hope they can get S2 out sometime this year.

• Love 1

I love Justina Muchado. That said, the rest of cast, yes, even Rita Moreno, I find...meh. The whole thing strikes me very much like a Disney or Nickelodeon show, annoying studio laughter and all. The pacing is just so stilted and the line readings are really "I'm watching a school play"ish. The kid who plays the son is a doll, though. I'd like to see Justina in something else. I'd like to see it recast aside from Justina, and lose the studio audience.

• Love 2

I enjoyed it immensely. Am watching it a second time with my 13 yr old daughter who identifies as bisexual, and she loves it too. I was a fan of the original, although Ann Romano got on my nerves a lot with her overacting.

Rita Moreno is hilarious, and does anyone else find Dr. B adorably dorky and sympathetic? When I saw he was in the cast I almost skipped it because he will always be the "Yankton C*********" from Deadwood, but here he's just genuine and kind and I love how he appreciates Moreno and the rest of the family. He has some really funny lines, too.

With you all in enjoying Carmen, and am glad they didn't put Elena with the first 'friend' that came along, OR made her fall for that cliche jock-boy.

Would love to see all of the living cast make appearances, as an homage. I liked Mackenzie's line about how she likes the remake AND the original, lol.

• Love 4
On 1/12/2017 at 0:53 AM, giovannif7 said:

The only change from the original series that rubbed me the wrong way was making Schneider rich. To me, that goes against the premise of the show - to watch your characters struggle with the serious issues of life "one day at a time." The only times I rolled my eyes were when Schneider paid for Carmen's bus ticket to Texas, and then her plane ticket back for the party at the end - that's too easy a solution for these characters. 

I read an interview with the creators about why Schneider has money. They wanted to show privilege against the exprience of the Alvarez family.  I think they could have done that without making him as rich as he was.   

On 1/20/2017 at 6:10 PM, Franky said:

With you all in enjoying Carmen, and am glad they didn't put Elena with the first 'friend' that came along, OR made her fall for that cliche jock-boy.

I don't think the jock-boy that she invited to her quinces was cliche.  I found him to be quite normal and likable. In fact, this show did secondary and tertiary characters really well in general and while he wasn't as quirky or developed as some of the others, I still think we managed to learn enough about him to get a sense of his basic decency. He liked Elena as she was, respected her boundaries and was a good friend to her even after she rejected him because she preferred girls.

I just finished the season.  I had been consuming it more slowly than I normally do both because it's easier with sitcoms and I had other things to watch.  But I really started picking up steam watching these in the second half.  They just flew by.  I want more now. The show had terrific characters, interesting stories and I laughed out loud quite a bit.  The laugh track didn't bother me because I grew up with it. I barely notice that anymore unless a show is just totally unfunny and doesn't even make me smile.

• Love 4

I happened to stumble upon this series as I was browsing Google and binged it in two days. I've been a fan of Justina Machado since the early 2000s, so, when I saw she was the lead, I was all-in.

This season was wonderful. It made me emotional and laugh out loud. I love that Penelope is a female veteran and that we saw support groups, PTSD, war injuries, and the VA covered in episodes. There's not a lot of light shed on females in the military and I like seeing it being represented and the secondary characters we met, Jill and Ramona.

Seeing Penelope struggle with Elena coming out was very interesting and real. 

Lydia is a riot. Love her. Her scenes with Penelope about her praying for her safety and talking about leaving her family behind in Cuba were season highlights.

Alex is a typical tween, but he's a sweet kid.

I really enjoyed seeing Elena speak her mind and eventually come out to her family. I'm glad she's free to be whatever she wants. (Victor can DIAF.)

Schneider's alright. I like that he's there for the family. I'm not interested in a romance with him and Penelope, so, I hope the show doesn't go there.

I kinda miss Carmen. lol She added her own special something to the cast that I liked.

The big blow-up between Penelope and Victor was very well-done.

I need Season 2, like, yesterday. Crossing my fingers hard.

• Love 5

I thought it was excellent from beginning to end. The casting is perfect, especially Rita Moreno. Wow is she in great shape. Can't wait for the second season.

Also, they seemed to have taped the episodes out-of-sequence because around episode 11 the actor playing Alex seems to have shot up noticeably in height. He was as tall as if not taller than both Justina and Rita, but then in the finale at the quinceañera he was shorter again and looked younger.

• Love 1

Just finished the last episode today. I have lots of thoughts but I just can't get past Lydia's "Hey you guys!" Only people of a certain age will get that.

Second favorite moment was Alex's "Immigrants. We get the job done." which felt extra apropos given the airport events today.

• Love 9
On 1/26/2017 at 1:45 AM, ShortyMac said:

I need Season 2, like, yesterday. Crossing my fingers hard.

15 hours ago, marceline said:

Just finished the last episode today. I have lots of thoughts but I just can't get past Lydia's "Hey you guys!" Only people of a certain age will get that.

Second favorite moment was Alex's "Immigrants. We get the job done." which felt extra apropos given the airport events today.

I binged the entire series on a whim the night before my birthday during a bout of insomnia; it made the insomnia more bearable, as I spent a lot of time laughing and really grew invested in the characters.  I loved this, and also hope that there is a Season 2, which I would like to have watched already.  I also caught Lydia's "Hey you guys!"  I didn't look--The line worked, but also seemed like a random shout-out.  Is there any crossover between the two?  Loved the Hamilton quotation, too.        

10 minutes ago, Turtle Wexler said:

I also caught Lydia's "Hey you guys!"  I didn't look--The line worked, but also seemed like a random shout-out.  Is there any crossover between the two?  Loved the Hamilton quotation, too.        

It's a reference to a children's show Rita Moreno worked on in the 1970's called "The Electric Company. The show always started with Rita yelling "Heeeey you guuuuuys!" For those of us who grew up on it, the response is almost Pavlovian.

• Love 9
On 1/30/2017 at 2:45 PM, marceline said:

It's a reference to a children's show Rita Moreno worked on in the 1970's called "The Electric Company. The show always started with Rita yelling "Heeeey you guuuuuys!" For those of us who grew up on it, the response is almost Pavlovian.

Oh!  Ha!  I'd forgotten about that.  I naively thought it was a Goonies shout-out.  ;)  Never mind!  Thanks!

• Love 1

Just finished up episode three, where Penelope admits that she's not sure she believes in God anymore.  Unlike Penelope, I'm sure.

However, when Lydia broke down and told her that God had kept her safe in Afghanistan because she'd gone to church and prayed for it every day, I flat-out ugly cried.  Penelope had tears in her eyes too, and I'm betting Justina Machado didn't have to do a lot of acting to get there.

It had better be on Rita Moreno's Emmy reel.

• Love 2