Type keyword(s) to search

Flipping Out In The Media

On 11/1/2018 at 12:19 AM, MsTree said:

I suspect you are correct. And if that's the case, can he then turn around and claim that it's his personal footage; so therefore he/they didn't violate any contractual clause?

Unless she specifically spelled out what use was and wasn't allowable, then he was possibly free to turn the footage over. This really is going to come down to the contract language and some intent, but mostly the language. However, the judge ruling about the unconscionability is a really big deal. It means that the court could invalidate some, part, or all of the contract and set up its own new equitable agreement between the parties.

If I were Bravo and the production company, I would make copyright claims on YouTube and Daily Motion to pull the footage, re-edit the episode on Hulu, iTunes, Amazon and anywhere else you can purchase the episode, offer her a fairly sizeable settlement, and specifically request to be removed as a defendant. Here's the thing, it's not that Bravo is rescuing a property that's still a major earner, but trying to divest themselves from a  property that's on the decline, but can still eke out some revenue. So Bravo could spend as much as they get in residuals, episode sales, and ad sales during past season reruns and marathons in at least a year and I'd speculate up to five years and spend that amount to extricate themselves from this lawsuit.

• Love 4

Even if Jeff handed over his personal film, its the producers who choose what footage to use.  It's Bravo that crafted the contract and Bravo that has the lawyers to decide whether they can legally use the footage.  I don't see how Jeff is responsible,

• Love 1
On 11/9/2018 at 2:36 PM, Pattycake2 said:

Even if Jeff handed over his personal film, its the producers who choose what footage to use.  It's Bravo that crafted the contract and Bravo that has the lawyers to decide whether they can legally use the footage.  I don't see how Jeff is responsible,

We don't know what the contract language looks like, so it's premature to say that Jeff isn't responsible. Furthermore if Jeff is not a party to the contract, the first thing his lawyers would do is try to get him dismissed from the lawsuit. It would honestly be malpractice to fail to file that motion. The fact that he hasn't been dismissed from the suit suggests that he's a valid party to the contract.

• Love 2

I saw jenni on andy’s show. They just talked for one minute about Jeff. Jenni said she DID actually work for him in the past and I think she said she didn’t file a claim against him. She was disputing his claims, but was super calm. No emotional outbursts or anything like that. It was very brief. Her last comment was that she wished the best for him and always has. 

On a shallow note, her forehead was SO botoxed. And her outfit was not great. An off the shoulder dress with sleeves that almost looked detachable. 

• Love 3

Jeff wasn't disputing if Jenni ever worked for him, he's always said she has, for many years, but the past few years she really didn't - she only did for TV purposes.  So Jenni is claiming that Jeff said she never worked for him? 

She did a big article in People(?) this week that got Jeff kinda riled up on his radio show.

• Love 1

I don’t think Jenni is claiming that Jeff is saying she never worked for him. I would have to rewatch to quote exactly what she said. Maybe she said/meant that she actually worked for him while the show was filming (recently). Anyway, she was very composed and didn’t comment much. She ended it on a positive note saying she wanted the best for him.

• Love 3

Jenni may not have made official claims of abuse to Bravo but I do believe that she complained about him. Jenni is an Exec a Producer on the show and is responsible for bringing the show to a Bravo and Jeff fully acknowledges Jenni for it. Jenni’s role has been reduced and Jeff refers to everyone on his staff except her so she really has no TV role anymore. I think that Jeff got tired of the pretense and didn’t have a conversation with Jenni about it. Jeff just doesn’t handle things well.

Jeff needs to write the surrogate a check and make the issue go away.

Bravo had Jenni on WWHL as a courtesy since Jeff had appeared earlier this season without her. 

• Love 2

This probably isn’t the right thread for my comment, but next week’s previews look awful. I hate to see jenni so upset. She is in the car and Jeff (and it appears also Leah Black) are going after her. Jenni is crying and the young assistant guy is hugging her in the backseat. Awful to see anyone treated that way.

• Love 9
13 hours ago, Pickles said:

I saw jenni on andy’s show. They just talked for one minute about Jeff. Jenni said she DID actually work for him in the past and I think she said she didn’t file a claim against him. She was disputing his claims, but was super calm. No emotional outbursts or anything like that. It was very brief. Her last comment was that she wished the best for him and always has. 

On a shallow note, her forehead was SO botoxed. And her outfit was not great. An off the shoulder dress with sleeves that almost looked detachable. 

Perhaps Jenni was wearing one the gorgeous and wonderful "Infinity" dresses from Leanne of RHoDallas??

On 11/22/2018 at 7:46 AM, artisto said:

Last line of this article:

"That’s what Flipping Out has become, and I’m not interested in it any more, either."

Ditto

I agree. Jeff Lewis needs serious help and not the kind of help a therapist who is spoon feeding his ego would give him. He needs to face the fact that he is abusive to just about everyone-even his partner. I will never watch this show if it is picked up by someone else. I won't support the kind of behavior I have seen from Jeff Lewis. He's awful. As for Jenni, I am 100% with her on this. He went crazy on her in that car. I can only imagine the kind of things he has said when the cameras weren't rolling. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Mariareads said:

I agree. Jeff Lewis needs serious help and not the kind of help a therapist who is spoon feeding his ego would give him. He needs to face the fact that he is abusive to just about everyone-even his partner. I will never watch this show if it is picked up by someone else. I won't support the kind of behavior I have seen from Jeff Lewis. He's awful. As for Jenni, I am 100% with her on this. He went crazy on her in that car. I can only imagine the kind of things he has said when the cameras weren't rolling

The cameras were rolling.  That was the plan, the intended plot.   This is not reality, it is planned reality.  I have no doubt that the co-executive producer, Mrs. Pulos Nassos knew that the *drama* was coming and was all in. Was there any other reason to suddenly trot out a Leah Black "Here is what a business is" seminar for the staff? 

The season was rather lackluster.  There was no Zoila drama. There were no design dramas. Their out of state travels were yawners. The focus was more than ever on Jeff's immature and unrealistic dissatisfaction with his on-camera staff.  They spent, what, 4 of 10 episodes on the TweedleDum and TweedleDee who were babysitting the endless rebuild of last season's home base.

Every season has to have a storyline and a dramatic cliffhanger.  Mrs P N has barely been visible for most of the season.  I do believe that she probably had some *feelers* out for a role in one of Nicolas Cage's schlockfests, though it could have been as minor as bumping into the spouse of a casting director at Mommies and Me.  Regardless, she is responsible for her own career.  It turned out to be a dead end, or really minor inconsequential bit part, or most likely, something that she would have had to successfully screentest for, up against dozens of other actresses.  She probably never even mentioned it when it came up (especially if she was with Jeff one day a week).  But it was a convenient "counter attack" to launch.

I do think that Jenni showed up at the cafe, prepared to film a season finale scene, though she expected it to be along the lines of "you know, Jenni, we have been though so much, and I cannot imagine you not at my side" apology/non-apology.  They would each crack a few insults, laugh a bit, make up, and toast to the New Jeff Lewis Design. Instead, Jeff saw this as an opportunity to ditch the whole "Flipping" format/name/brand --which Jenni co-founded, co-produces, and earns a chunk of cash.  Rude?  Yes.  Crude and unfair?  Probably.  A successful water-cooler worthy moment?  Absolutely.  The most tragic thing to ever happen to Mrs Pulos Nassos?  Not likely.  Especially if she was involved roughly 30 days a year.

The whole matter seems to have achieved the goal of keeping the show in the headlines.  The google still spews out endless new links of articles about "ending long term friendships" with both parties heavily quoted nearly TWO WEEKS after it happened on air.  Plus Jenni has done a good job of reminding everyone that the show was her idea.

I think Bravo is done with it, unless they decide to morph it into The Real Housewives of Flipping.  But I also bet that Jeff and Jenni appear on screen together many many many more times.

• Love 7

wow, wonder now whether the timing of the surrogate lawsuit which is not going to be sealed or arbitrated, whether Jeff knew whatever is in there or had to be shared for discovery would force Bravo to terminate him, so much easier to not renew his contract this year.... I don't know but I wonder, then play it up for the cameras to increase ratings and then peddle it to Netflix or whatever.  I don't agree he handled this correctly, but I wonder if he saw the writing on the wall and wanted to end it "his way".  I don't think I would watch it on netflix, because I dont have netflix and If I did not buy it for the queen of england series, a quality show, then I wont be buyng it to fill the Bravo fluff shows need I have.  Like theshow, but not as funny as it was zoila days.

• Love 1

Mardo, great theory...and definitely possible. Not a Netflix subscriber either.

The only thing we differ on is Zoila. Never liked her entitled ways, which got evern worse towards her end.

• Love 2

I'm wondering if ratings were really down. With Bravo standing up its increased home-design programming (Get a Room, Sweet Home), it would make sense to perhaps freshen Flipping Out and repackage it.

Does Jenni somehow have a legal interest in the show, with a say in what happens to it? Or maybe Jeff thinks he has a better chance (paycheck) with a deal somewhere else.

On 12/3/2018 at 8:41 AM, pasdetrois said:

I'm wondering if ratings were really down. With Bravo standing up its increased home-design programming (Get a Room, Sweet Home), it would make sense to perhaps freshen Flipping Out and repackage it.

Does Jenni somehow have a legal interest in the show, with a say in what happens to it? Or maybe Jeff thinks he has a better chance (paycheck) with a deal somewhere else.

They are also bringing Project Runway back, too!  You can only do so much with Housewives drama, Jeff Lewis drama and all of the other shows drama.  I think they are lightening it up on purpose.  Maybe they were losing too many viewers?

Edited by crgirl412
  • Love 1

Traditional TV viewing is down in general. Back when dirt was new I had evenings where I watched must-see TV. Now, I DVR and sometimes do not even watch what I record. I don't read much into ratings being down because ratings are down everywhere. 

Jeff had meltdowns of epic proportions this year. I wonder if it started with the lawsuit from the surrogate. That would certainly rattle me. Jeff needs to write the surrogate a check and make it go away. 

I think that Frankie was brought in by Jeff solely for the show and to live in Valley Vista so it would be occupied during the renovation. 

• Love 2
On 11/30/2018 at 9:22 PM, SanDiegoInExile said:

I do think that Jenni showed up at the cafe, prepared to film a season finale scene, though she expected it to be along the lines of "you know, Jenni, we have been though so much, and I cannot imagine you not at my side" apology/non-apology.  They would each crack a few insults, laugh a bit, make up, and toast to the New Jeff Lewis Design. Instead, Jeff saw this as an opportunity to ditch the whole "Flipping" format/name/brand --which Jenni co-founded, co-produces, and earns a chunk of cash.  Rude?  Yes.  Crude and unfair?  Probably.  A successful water-cooler worthy moment?  Absolutely.  The most tragic thing to ever happen to Mrs Pulos Nassos?  Not likely.  Especially if she was involved roughly 30 days a year.

After reading this... now I wonder if Jenni's anger wasn't so much of that Jeff fired her.. but that he fired her while filming.  She was probably embarrassed and probably expected her good friend to not do that for all of the world to see, or at least give her a heads up so that they can 're-create' the filming so she can show her range of acting. Now I think she was completely butt-hurt that she became what she saw happen to many people over the years and wasn't able to save-face. 

• Love 1