Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Homebodies

Riggs and Murtaugh become involved in a violent turf war between a new generation of drug dealers and a Koreatown gang; Murtaugh finds comfort in a temporary partner; Trish tries to set Riggs up with her co-worker.

Okay, usually I really enjoy Trish.  But, why, oh, why, did the Murtaugh family think setting Riggs up was a good idea, when he is so very clearly still in deep mourning for his wife and child?  How could that end well?  It was just far more stupid than any of those characters have been so far.

• Love 7

Please, please, please, Show, CUT RIGGS HAIR!!! That was all I could think about when he was on screen. Fortunately his hair was in the dark during the really touching scene at the end when he was holding Owlsley.

And I am pleased that the romantic undertone of Riggs and the therapist seems to going away. Keep it that way.

I couldn't help but laugh during the farewell lunch between Murtaugh and Chan. It was such a takeoff on the stereotypical ending of an affair. Who knew bromances had that kind of effect?

• Love 5

It seems as though this episode should have come earlier in the season. Roger was more than noticeably upset with Riggs to the point he complained to the captain. I could understand Roger's point. But the Captain's explanation was a good one, in essence: "Roger, you're the only one who can handle someone like Riggs." Seems like that would have been mentioned in the beginning.

And what was the Asian detective supposed to add? Humor? Insight into Riggs? What?

I think this is now the second episode (in a row) in which Riggs has attested that he is not going to kill himself. Of course, I can understand why some people might still have questions. But having said that, other than not answering his texts, what is he doing that is so crazy? Is it that he jumps on the tops of moving cars? C'mon, every detective going back to Mannix has done that (sure, it's unrealistic but...) Honestly, to me, and I've watched a number of cop shows, I find Riggs to be a little...restrained.

Edited by JackONeill
  • Love 1

I've commented on his hair before because it's distracting. But one thing I have noticed is that he (usually) remains clean shaven (putting aside mustache). Nothing odd about that except that many actors have the 2-3 scruff as a way to make them look older/more dramatic, whatever. Again, nothing odd. But what is odd is that Riggs lives in a metal tube and rarely changes his clothes and, obviously, never washes or combs his hair. So--- why is he shaving?

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

And I am pleased that the romantic undertone of Riggs and the therapist seems to going away. Keep it that way.

I think I could really come to enjoy Jordana Brewster in this role, as someone who is committed to helping Riggs process what he needs to regarding his grief, his emotions, and even dynamic with his partner -- as long as the show makes it clear that her commitment  is as a psychological professional only, and will not ever be moving into romantic territory. That would be refreshing on several different levels.

5 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Please, please, please, Show, CUT RIGGS HAIR!!! That was all I could think about when he was on screen.

I feel like Riggs' hair is his emotional weather barometer. It's gets more ridiculous when he is more emotional unmoored, and (slightly) more managed when his emotions are more in check. But that could just be me making excuses for the hair, because it amuses me.

• Love 7

I am not sure the Riggs/Psyciatrist is being written as romantic.  If it is irs five or six years down the road romantic.  For one thing Riggs is not ready and another the show isn't.  

Of course it would be refreshing to find out she has a wife at home and therefore could never be in love with Riggs or they could just have them forever be friends but the show is likely to pair them up eventually.  I really don't mind as long as eventually is far enough down the road that Riggs has time to deal with at at least some of his emotional baggage.

Also.....considering how crazy/suicidal Riggs is supposed to be and the type of show this is and taking into account other types of shows of its type Riggs is doing just fine and is actually rather restrained.

Aww, show I liked Owlsly and then you go and kill her off!!! She was as a really interesting character and I liked her friendship with Riggs (which was kept clear of any romantic undertones). I got upset when it became clear that she was the murderer (I'm normally pretty indifferent to murderer reveals). And then I got even more upset when she committed suicide in Riggs arms - that just ain't right!

Loved Scorsese and his little field-experiment that helped him solve his script issues - of course the hero has to be half-lizard, LOL! And I'm glad to see that the writing for Cahill has gotten better. I'm not sure sarcasm is something shrinks should employ regularly but in this particular case it works wonders.

I agree that Trish was out of line but on the other hand - she's not perfect and made a mistake. Her apology to Riggs was great - both actors have a really good handle on the friendship between these two characters.

As for Roger's issues: I suppose Riggs' character arc and his behavior is not a straight trajectory and we don't see all the crazy once he falls back into his old ways after an episode where things started to look better. But it's also possible that this was simply aired out of order. The point was to give Murtaugh's character room to vent and then slowly come to grips with what his role is in Riggs' life. When you think about it Cahill was right in the therapy session: it's pretty scary.

I've come to terms with Riggs' hair - maybe one day he'll cut it and it will that big life-changing moment we ladies often expect from a new hairstyle. Let's just hope it won't end in a 'He should never have gotten a pixie!'-drama (yeah, TBBT I'm looking at you).

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 3

Question: Have they been using the term "the gays" in this show. In a previous episode with the Captain/Boss, he was talking about a family member and mimicking how he talks and I thought I heard him say "the gays". Now it happened again but this time Riggs said it when talking to Owlsly in her apartment. Am I hearing that right? 

15 hours ago, Curiousriz said:

Question: Have they been using the term "the gays" in this show. In a previous episode with the Captain/Boss, he was talking about a family member and mimicking how he talks and I thought I heard him say "the gays". Now it happened again but this time Riggs said it when talking to Owlsly in her apartment. Am I hearing that right? 

I'm almost 100% sure you're not.  But if you remember where in the show it happened let me know and I'll look it up(I watch the show with captions on).

On 1/11/2017 at 7:07 PM, Curiousriz said:

In the Christmas episode, Avery/The Captain did talk about how he'd like to avoid his father-in-law who told him he liked "the gays" or something like that.  I don't remember hearing it in this episode, though.

On 1/11/2017 at 8:07 PM, Curiousriz said:

Just watched the episode now, and I knew the scene you meant immediately, where Riggs is talking to Owlsy in her apartment while Rog and Cho are having lunch. It did sound like he said "the gays," but upon rewinding he said, "Beignets (which kind of rhymes with "the gays") are just fat doughnuts," in response to something Owlsy had said.

Mystery solved!