Type keyword(s) to search

English Premier League

lambertman
  • Start Topic

it's been three days since the game but I'm still freaking out about it! I've watched Grioud's goal so many times. Take that haters!! 

The one damper is the thought of the now smug Chelsea fans (and undoubtedly jose mourinho.)

Edited by JustaPerson
  • Love 1

it's been three days since the game but I'm still freaking out about it! I've watched Grioud's goal so many times. Take that haters!! 

The one damper is the thought of the now smug Chelsea fans (and undoubtedly jose mourinho.)

Yeah, smug Jose is definitely a minus, but my best friend is a Chelsea fan so I try not to verbalize the desire to poke the special one is his special eyes.

But hey, they blew out of the FA Cup in spectacular fashion, and we're still in it, so at least there's that.

Danny Welbeck scoring was even more perfect than if he'd scored against them at the Emirates in November. He must have been saving up that goal so that it was even more dramatic ;) I mean a howler, turning out to be the winning goal, at Old Trafford of all places how much more dramatic can you get?

ETA: That howler was total payback for Arsenal's own back in November :) 

Edited by JustaPerson
  • Love 2

I can't stand Manchester United, but I was happy to see Juan Mata have a standout game. I was getting tired of pundits calling him a flop. You'd think winning an FA Cup and a Champions League would keep people from saying such nonsense the minute you don't play well. Alas, football fans & pundits are a fickle bunch.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
(edited)

They probably will. But with the form Arsenal are currently in, might it be possible that they might...beat Chelsea at the Emirates? They won't win the title but it would be so so satisfying if they could beat them (then we wouldn't have to keep hearing about how Mourinho has never lost to Wenger.) Make Cesc Fabregas's return to the Emirates a bittersweet one!

Edited by JustaPerson
  • Love 2

They probably will. But with the form Arsenal are currently in, might it be possible that they might...beat Chelsea at the Emirates? They won't win the title but it would be so so satisfying if they could (then we wouldn't have to keep hearing about how Mourinho has never lost to Wenger.) Make Cesc Fabregas's return to the Emirates a bittersweet one!

This would be a dream come true!

• Love 1

Eh, I don't like Chelsea at all, but I'd much rather they won the league than City. Between Chelsea and Arsenal? It's a wash of nasty southerners, and I'll be annoyed with either of them winning it. But I'd plump for Chelsea because Arsenal continuing to fail to win the league is getting pretty funny.

But now that Louis Van Gaal seems to have finally figured out that playing his best players in their best positions is the best way to win matches (staggering revelation!), I think United will be back up to really contending for the title next year. Long past time too.

Well, Arsenal did their very best to screw up the FA Cup semi, but Reading's keeper wouldn't let them.

Actually, all props to Reading.  They fought for that to the very end.  I actually felt a little sorry for their keeper for that blooper at the end, because otherwise he was pretty much man of the match.

• Love 1

I feel you, JustaPerson. I was rooting for Arsenal to beat Chelsea. As much as I loathe them, Chelsea defended exceptionally in that match. 

That said, I don't think Arsenal played too badly. It's just a shame they couldn't find a way through the Chelsea defense.

• Love 1

On NBCSN, Rebecca Lowe & Co. talked about the new PL concussion protocols. The new protocols are as follows:

• Premier League Rules making clear that when a serious head injury is suffered on the pitch (in matches or training) that the ruling of the doctor/medical practitioner is final.
  • The role of "Tunnel Doctors" (it is a new requirement for all Premier League matches to include a Tunnel Doctor) will include supporting the home and/or away team doctors in helping recognise the signs of concussion.
  • Making it mandatory for all Premier League medical staff to carry the Concussion Recognition Tool
  • Annual baseline testing should take place on each Premier League player

But as the NBCSN folks pointed out, none of this was followed with regard to Oscar's injury during the Arsenal-Chelsea match. I don't know if there are any punishments for clubs that don't follow these protocols.

ETA: 

The Premier League is still not following its own concussion protocols

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 2

Well, I fully expected Arsenal to lose to Chelsea, so I'm happy enough with a draw.  Still want to poke Mou in his stupid eyes, though.

And yes, Oscar was clearly concussed and should've been taken out of the match.  But Mou don't care 'bout nothing like that.  Concussion, consmushion.

I had no idea that a song from a John Wayne movie was used as an Arsenal anthem... so I looked it up and, yep, since the 50s (although it took about 20 years for it to become popular.)

Wow. The things you learn...

(edited)

The news that Bastian Schweinsteiger going to Man United is heartbreaking. I can't root for him anymore :( :( :(

I wish him all the success in the world, but I hope Man U wins nothing again next season. They don't deserve a player like Basti! Yes I know it's irrational but still. Forget City, Man U are the manchester team I hate now. 

Edited by JustaPerson
  • Love 1

The news that Bastian Schweinsteiger going to Man United is heartbreaking. I can't root for him anymore :( :( :(

I wish him all the success in the world, but I hope Man U wins nothing again next season. They don't deserve a player like Basti! Yes I know it's irrational but still. Forget City, Man U are the manchester team I intensely dislike now. 

That's where he's going?  Oh fuck.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels some kind of way about this transfer. I follow Basti's FB, and it just hurts me to see him in that United shirt. Ugh! I still adore him, but can only root for him when he plays for Germany now.

(edited)

Seeing him in that shirt makes me feel sick. The only Reds he belongs with is Die Roten. :( I never thought I would ever have to root against him. Where are all the one club men anymore? Xavi, Gerrard, now Basti are all leaving their clubs. Who's left, Totti?

Edited by JustaPerson
  • Love 1

Basti left my Bayern for my brother's team!

This shall not stand!!!

He was all smug at me last night at dinner. My sister, who follows hockey, was equating my bitterness over this to one of her Avs players leaving for a rival. I just glowered.

• Love 2
(edited)
Xavi, Gerrard, now Basti are all leaving their clubs. 

And then there's the whole Iker Casillas situation. The way he left Real Madrid was just sad and made worse by Florentino Perez trying to do damage control. Ugh.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 1

This whole Delph situation just pisses me off. I'm not mad at Man City for buying him. That's business. It happens all the time. What got me so upset was him saying more than once that he was staying and what an honor it was to be skippering his club, only to change his mind the way he did and call it an emotional decision. Bullshit, Fabian. It was all about the money.

• Love 1
(edited)

Speaking of Man City, if Raheem Sterling is worth 49 mil pounds than freaking Messi must be worth a couple trillion. Leave it City to personally inflate his head to even larger proportions. 

Edited by JustaPerson
  • Love 3

I watched the first Men in Blazers episode of the new season (if you're not watching them you should be! hilarious, neutral commentary though both hosts have their teams) and 3 out of the four (2 hosts + 2 guest pundits) said that the title is Arsenal's to lose this season. Needless to say, I was quite surprised to hear that. But I'm starting to get some false hope here...could they really do it? My head says no, but my heart wants to say yes.

Edited by JustaPerson
  • Love 1

I watched the first Men in Blazers episode of the new season (if you're not watching them you should be! hilarious, neutral commentary though both hosts have their teams) and 3 out of the four (2 hosts + 2 guest pundits) said that the title is Arsenal's to lose this season. Needless to say, I was quite surprised to hear that. But I'm starting to get some false hope here...could they really do it? My head says no, but my heart wants to say yes.

I wish I could watch them, but they're only on NBC Sports channel, I believe, and I don't get that one.

Yeah, I really want to believe it's possible for Arsenal to win the league, but then I think of 2011 when it all went so horribly wrong in March.

Not a terribly convincing win from Manchester United, but since they got the 3 points, they won't care.

I could only shake my head at my Everton. This is the third season in a row they've drawn 2-2 on the opening day of the season. 

Chelsea are 2-1 up on Swansea at the half. I hate Chelsea.

I know Neuer didn't invent that high risk/high reward style of goalkeeping but he has definitely popularized it, and you can see other goalkeepers now taking some (unnecessary) risks with their style of play which doesn't always work and just ends up looking dumb. Which can happen to Neuer as well occasionally, but people are much more forgiving considering how much it works for him.

Oh Arsenal. Why do you insist on torturing us fans at our most hopeful and happy moments?

Edited by JustaPerson
  • Love 2