Type keyword(s) to search

English Premier League

lambertman
  • Start Topic

Shaqiri to Stoke is so confusing. Basel, Bayern, Inter, Stoke. One of these does not belong. If he does well in the PL, he'll probably transfer to one of the bigger clubs in couple seasons anyway but still. Stoke? Really?

Edited by JustaPerson
  • Love 1

I haven't had a chance to watch the match yet, but seriously, who loses to West Ham?  I mean, come on!

Awww. It happens. West Ham's not that bad.

To be honest, I do like that in football/soccers with its low scores and poor players/teamwork on bad days, these kind of losses of premiere teams vs lower ranked teams aren't as shocking as it would be in other sport leagues.

Shaqiri to Stoke is so confusing. Basel, Bayern, Inter, Stoke. One of these does not belong haha. If he does well in the PL, he'll probably transfer to one of the bigger clubs in couple seasons anyway but still. Stoke? Really?

Funny you should say that, JustAPerson. ESPN FC writer Rory Smith talks about this exact thing in his latest column. If you don't want to read the whole thing, here's the pertinent part:

The players, meanwhile, are being sold a very simple idea: Move to Stoke, Swansea or wherever and advertise yourself to the Premier League's elite. Prove you can cut it and you are far more likely to get to Manchester City, Chelsea or Arsenal than if you continue to play in the Netherlands, Belgium or Italy. Whether this is borne out by the evidence is a different matter entirely, but that is the sales pitch. These are the stepping stone clubs.

I haven't had a chance to watch the match yet, but seriously, who loses to West Ham?  I mean, come on!

Well better to get these "Monaco/Stoke at Britannia" games where everyone is inexplicably terrible out of the way early, eh? 

Good find, Gillian Rosh! I still think he should have just stayed at Bayern (given the aging squad, he would've been sailing up that food chain in a few seasons). 

• Love 1

from the espn article: "Inter have no shortage of ambition and no shortage of money"

Inter may have ambition but they also have to watch their finances due to the restrictions placed on them

under UEFA Financial Fair Play rules. Besides the financial restrictions placed on them they can only

register 21 players. So they have to make money and clean house. It is odd though that six months after

Mancini requested Shaq, he didn't want him any longer. Oh well, I hope his career flourishes just as when

Coutinho left Inter.

NPpTsvF.png

• Love 1

I prefer watching a single game rather than a highlights show on NBC.

Yeah, I was opining to a friend (who has NBC Sports channel, lucky bitch) about this.  She thought maybe there weren't any 12:30 matches that day, but who knows.  I hope NBC doesn't make a habit of it.  Show me a damned match!

Yeah, I was opining to a friend (who has NBC Sports channel, lucky bitch) about this.  She thought maybe there weren't any 12:30 matches that day, but who knows.  I hope NBC doesn't make a habit of it.  Show me a damned match!

Looking at the schedule for the season, it does appear to be the case that we got the clip show on Saturdays when there was not a match actually set for 12:30 (5:30 in the UK).

I have never before wished physical harm on an opposing player, not even during my deepest hatred for Man U, but if Diego Costa was to be run over repeatedly by a piece of sharpened farming equipment, I wouldn't mind in the least.  He is the worst of European football (whinging, diving, dirty tackling, shit-stirring) all wrapped up in one ugly package.

• Love 4

Diego Costa is a punk, just like his manager (they really are a perfect match). I hope that when Costa finally gets sent off in a PL game it's for a nothing tackle. Then, all the pundits defending his BS as genius can whine about the injustice of it all. And I can laugh and laugh.

• Love 4

Well at least Arsenal has been vindicated (somewhat) by the rescinding of Gabriel's red card & ban, and by the 3 match ban for Costa.  Too bad they can't hop into a time machine and go back to see if keeping all 11 men on the pitch would've made a difference in the score line.  (Yes, I said "11" because I thought Santi's first yellow was a bit harsh; the second one was totally deserved, though.)

Did you know that Chelsea's recent run of bad form is because referees are afraid to give decisions in favor of Chelsea? Well, let Jose Mourinho explain it to you in great detail.

https://youtu.be/9baePPZfRYA

Kind of ironic given the fact that Southampton had 3 major calls go Chelsea's way (at least one of them a clear penalty for Southampton).  But of course, there's a conspiracy against Chelsea, so . . . god, Mou is an idiot.

Until they fold again in CL on the next matchday. 

I'd like to say you're wrong, but this IS Arsenal.  Haven't seen the match yet (don't get NBCSN so have to watch it on tape) but am looking forward to it immensely.

(Also, I'm a little surprised Roman hasn't fired Mou yet.)

• Love 1

Kind of ironic given the fact that Southampton had 3 major calls go Chelsea's way (at least one of them a clear penalty for Southampton).  But of course, there's a conspiracy against Chelsea, so . . . god, Mou is an idiot.

I'd like to say you're wrong, but this IS Arsenal.  Haven't seen the match yet (don't get NBCSN so have to watch it on tape) but am looking forward to it immensely.

(Also, I'm a little surprised Roman hasn't fired Mou yet.)

Chelsea is lucky their next fixture is against Villa, because they'll win that one easily. But until then, I'm going to enjoy watching them get torn apart by the media.

• Love 1
Chelsea is lucky their next fixture is against Villa, because they'll win that one easily. But until then, I'm going to enjoy watching them get torn apart by the media.

Yes, the schadenfreude is delicious, especially after all their fuckery during and after the Arsenal game.

I actually think Mou was accurate in his assessment of his team (they're lacking confidence, they fall apart when confronted with any adversity). This version of Chelsea is reminding me of the 2010-11 Chelsea. They started the season as favorites, but tailed off dramatically in November and December (IIRC, Sunderland beat them at home pretty soundly back then). I'm interested to see how/if Mourinho can dig them out of this hole. 

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 1

You never know...*eyebrow wiggle* I mean Newcastle have been so awful everybody (including me) thought Chelsea would easily win but instead they creaked to a 2-2 draw

It's Villa. They find ways to lose that I never knew existed. They always find a way to do just enough to escape relegation, but I think their luck will run out this year.

I am a Liverpool fan and I get what you're saying, @JustaPerson.  ;)

I think he's an upgrade, though am still disappointed to see BR get the sack.  I still feel a lot won't change unless better talent arrives on defense, and Sturridge can actually remain healthy for an entire season. 

They probably will be more entertaining to watch now, however.

• Love 1

New poster (in this thread) and I'm delighted that we (being Liverpool) finally got our first win last night under Klopp. Now if he doesn't act with naivety against Chelsea this weekend, we could hand Mourinho another loss. I'd be okay with that :)

Now I'd like for the injury bug to go visit another team please. We're only a quarter of the season in and we've already lost a lot of first team players for quite a few games.

Edited by kdm07
  • Love 1

New poster (in this thread) and I'm delighted that we (being Liverpool) finally got our first win last night under Klopp. Now if he doesn't act with naivety against Chelsea this weekend, we could hand Mourinho another loss. I'd be okay with that :)

Now I'd like for the injury bug to go visit another team please. We're only a quarter of the season in and we've already lost a lot of first team players for quite a few games.

Come on, Liverpool!

Just don't send the injury bug to Arsenal.  We have enough problems in that area, thank you very much.

Now if he doesn't act with naivety against Chelsea this weekend, we could hand Mourinho another loss. I'd be okay with that :)

I'm an Everton fan, but I'd be more than ok with your Reds taking down Chelsea this weekend!

Edited by Gillian Rosh

With Man City's draw with Villa, all Arsenal had to do was beat Spurs to go top and get a two point lead so of course......they drew with Spurs. Because they hate us.

Given how the first half went, I was happy enough with the non-loss.  'Cause this is Arsenal, after all.

Chelsea this season is both hilarious and extremely confusing. It's basically the same squad as last season who WON the league and somehow they are 15th. 15th!

16th now, two spots below Bournemouth (!!!!) and only one point out of the relegation zone.  The Special One has clearly lost his touch.  And lost touch with reality if he thinks: (a) that Chelsea has any chance of finishing in the top 4, (b) that Chelsea definitely won't be fighting to stay out of the relegation zone, and © he'll still be their manager come next season unless they win the Champions League.

Now that it seems that Leicester could end up in the CL or even the EL by the end of the season, can you imagine it? Because I'm a jerk, I hope they end up in a group with Barca or one of the big boys so I can watch them be brought down to earth very very quickly. Not that I hate them, I'd just get a kick out of it.

• Love 1

JustaPerson, I went back and forth during that Arsenal game (was following on my phone at work). As the clock wound down in the second half, I thought, they can do it; they can win this game. Then, I'd think they'll find a way not to. Then I'd go back to thinking they'd win again.

Maybe this will just be a bump in the road of their season?