Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E06: The Proof Is in the Pudding

Anne Burrell and Rachael Ray bring in a special guest mentor to teach the recruits how to make a decadent chocolate dessert to set the mood for Valentine's Day.

Their desserts will be judged in a blind taste test, and the winning recruit will receive a special advantage for the main dish challenge, where they must cook a romantic meal to wow their loved ones.

Daniel has redeemed himself.  He said he likes animals.

(Insert obligatory lawyer joke here), but did Laura actually pass the bar?  Where?  Oz?  She carried on about her scallops like the assignment was baking a wedding cake for the royal family.

I still can't figure how Ann, as a flight attendant, still regards food as a complete mystery.  Maybe she only works 10-minute flights with no meal service.

If anyone in the FN audience is at all self-conscious about their culinary abilities, this is the show for you.  You'll feel like Escoffier.

• Love 3

Skipping an elimination was probably built into the format.  The reason they had a huddle about it being this episode was probably because those who would have been eliminated were probably tagged as contestants who could win for them.  

Oyster Margarita.  Nothing needs to be said here.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, spiderpig said:

I still can't figure how Ann, as a flight attendant, still regards food as a complete mystery.  Maybe she only works 10-minute flights with no meal service.

I don't think it's necessary for a flight attendant to know anything about food. All they do is shove pre-packaged meals into a microwave and serve. TV dinner at 30,000 feet.

• Love 8

I still can't figure how Ann, as a flight attendant, still regards food as a complete mystery.

What bothers me even more is how flustered she gets.  I like to feel that flight attendants will be competent and composed if there's an emergency.  She acts like she might run screaming down the aisle.

• Love 5
41 minutes ago, mlp said:

What bothers me even more is how flustered she gets.  I like to feel that flight attendants will be competent and composed if there's an emergency.  She acts like she might run screaming down the aisle.

I thought the same thing last night when she was talking about how much trouble she has following directions in the correct order. Isn't that kind of SOP for a flight attendant?

• Love 6

Shoving something in a microwave... I remember those days fondly when you actually got a meal on a plane.  These days, the flight attendants rarely even do that.  They sell you a snack box or pour you a cup of coffee.  If you get a drink like a bloody Mary, you get a can of mix and a mini bottle of vodka.  That Ann doesn't know how to cook is hardly surprising.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, wings707 said:

Skipping an elimination was probably built into the format.  The reason they had a huddle about it being this episode was probably because those who would have been eliminated were probably tagged as contestants who could win for them.  

Seems reasonable, although it's yet a second means of extending the season after the "save a person" button. Which Rachel hasn't used yet. So it's a tad odd to be saving the teams as is when they're uneven and there's a simple way for Rachel to keep someone around.

Then again, who on Rachel's team is really save-worthy anyway? She definitely has the weaker team at this point.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, spiderpig said:

(Insert obligatory lawyer joke here), but did Laura actually pass the bar?  Where?  Oz? 

Mr. Snarkle (a lawyer) froze the frame on her and said something similar. 

15 hours ago, wings707 said:

Yes, I agree.  On some shows that would mean a double elimination somewhere down the line but on this show that would mean 4 people going home in one episode and that's unlikely

15 hours ago, wings707 said:

Oyster Margarita.  Nothing needs to be said here.  

Hah, it was so gross even Rachael, who regularly blends up anchovies into everything and tells people that if they think they don't like them they're WRONG refused to drink it - Priceless! 

• Love 2

As for the oysters in the Margarita, I think Jeff was thinking of an oyster shooter, which is a Bloody Mary with oysters in it.  Those flavors totally work, since they're similar to the cocktail sauce and lemon that go on a raw oyster.  Ground up in a Margarita?  Not so much.

Edited by Rammchick
  • Love 4
19 hours ago, Rammchick said:

As for the oysters in the Margarita, I think Jeff was thinking of an oyster shooter, which is a Bloody Mary with oysters in it.  Those flavors totally work, since they're similar to the cocktail sauce and lemon that go on a raw oyster.  Ground up in a Margarita?  Not so much.

Yeah, and in that the oyster isn't blended up with the drink with gray oyster foam sitting on top like Jeff did.....vomit!  (And I love oysters!)

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 2

"As for the oysters in the Margarita, I think Jeff was thinking of an oyster shooter, which is a Bloody Mary with oysters in it.  Those flavors totally work, since they're similar to the cocktail sauce and lemon that go on a raw oyster.  Ground up in a Margarita?  Not so much."

I was thinking he could've gone with a shooter as a play on a margarita with a concentration on the tequila - he added strawberries, right? Blerg! A  basic tequila/margarita shooter (no fruit - maybe jalapeño?) seems like it would've been good though.

I didn't remember hearing about a save before Anne used hers. Does anyone else recall? If not, I wonder if Rachael would use one. I do think the guy on her team, Adam (I think?), has been pretty consistent and seems pretty strong. 

I know this is a ridiculous show and a lot of people think the contestants are Some low-grade central casting office,  but I can't help enjoying watching as some of them start to get it and are excited when they nail something. I actually also think the Anne/Rachael teaming is a good one - they seem to work well together as friendly opponents (and while I've always liked Anne, never Rachael very much).  

5 hours ago, OneWouldHope said:

I didn't remember hearing about a save before Anne used hers. Does anyone else recall? If not, I wonder if Rachael would use one. I do think the guy on her team, Adam (I think?), has been pretty consistent and seems pretty strong. 

Saves were mentioned early on, maybe the first episode? (I don't remember which)

• Love 2
19 hours ago, OneWouldHope said:

"As for the oysters in the Margarita, I think Jeff was thinking of an oyster shooter, which is a Bloody Mary with oysters in it.  Those flavors totally work, since they're similar to the cocktail sauce and lemon that go on a raw oyster.  Ground up in a Margarita?  Not so much."

I was thinking he could've gone with a shooter as a play on a margarita with a concentration on the tequila - he added strawberries, right? Blerg! A  basic tequila/margarita shooter (no fruit - maybe jalapeño?) seems like it would've been good though.

I know this is a ridiculous show and a lot of people think the contestants are Some low-grade central casting office,  but I can't help enjoying watching as some of them start to get it and are excited when they nail something. I actually also think the Anne/Rachael teaming is a good one - they seem to work well together as friendly opponents (and while I've always liked Anne, never Rachael very much).  

Very interesting points, @OneWouldHope.  We keep watching while they filter out the fake numbskulls and wait for someone to actually mature in their cooking skills.

As for Rachael, she really bugged until an ep of FNS where she mentored a contestant while they made an instructional video.  She was very supportive.  I'm still not a fan, but I've heard she's not a harpy-on-wheels.

I love Anne.  Met her and she gave me a hug.  So there!

• Love 3