Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E07: Episode 7

• Start Topic

Run, Vik, run!  Run far, far away!  Leave the cactus and run!  You can buy another cactus.  You can buy new clothes.  You just need to get as far away from the horrible Solloways as you can.  Run!!!!!

I don't care is Noah was beaten in prison.  I don't care if he is addicted to opioids.  I don't care about Noah at all.  The highlights were seeing Furkat and Vik. 

Helen, please purchase a snap on spine and attach it posthaste.  Noah is not worth blowing up your life.  He is not worth much of anything.  Take my advice to Vik and run away. 

Noah's recollection of sexy vixen Helen tempting him with drugs was gag inducing.  Poor, poor Noah.  Helen has turned him into a Vicodin whore.

Edited by Muffyn
  • Love 18

What, if anything, is the point of this show anymore? It's spinning in a constant circle like a turd trying to exit a clogged toilet. 

I think at this point in the season they're at, what? A few weeks after Noah leaves prison? It feels like decades. 

Forget Noah. The writers are on opioids. They've  run out of ideas and now they're just getting annoying, absurd and downright stupid. I feel bad because I used to like Helen. Time for this show to close up shop.

And was this a faux pas? When they pulled up to the Fish and Gun shop, Noah was wearing a big plaid shirt or jacket. By the time he left the  car and entered the store, he was wearing a dark hoodie. What happened to that shirt/jacket? Did anyone see him change?

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, subina167 said:

Forget Noah. The writers are on opioids. They've  run out of ideas and now they're just getting annoying, absurd and downright stupid. I feel bad because I used to like Helen. Time for this show to close up shop.

And was this a faux pas? When they pulled up to the Fish and Gun shop, Noah was wearing a big plaid shirt or jacket. By the time he left the  car and entered the store, he was wearing a dark hoodie. What happened to that shirt/jacket? Did anyone see him change?

Perhaps the store was having a special sale - buy a knife, get a hoodie?

• Love 5

So... that sex scene got really uncomfortable to the point where I was wondering if Noah raped her. I spent more time wondering if Helen's mumbles as he got rougher were her trying to say "Stop". Also, I'm amazed that he can even think of sex with that wound being infected. I'd think that it would hurt so much that sex would be the last thing on the brain.

Oh Helen... What a loss of self-respect. What else is there to say?

This season is a mess. I get that this is a story about the fallout of the trial and the affair, but what's the end goal here? Is it all about Noah and Gunther? Sorry, don't care enough. When is Cole going to find out about Alison and Helen's roles in Scotty's death? Are we ever going to see the moment that Alison confirmed Joanie's paternity to Cole? What are we leading up to?

• Love 10

Viewing Helen's segment while thinking what guilt the character would feel I kind of got her behavior. Until she started with the sex. 

So will we find out Vik had someone on the side or will that be another loose thread?

I am being foolishly optimistic about next week's episode. 

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, GeminiDancer said:

So... that sex scene got really uncomfortable to the point where I was wondering if Noah raped her. I spent more time wondering if Helen's mumbles as he got rougher were her trying to say "Stop".

Yes, Noah raped Helen.  I had the closed captioning on, and at first she kept saying "I know you" and he kept saying "You don't know me," with increasing aggression, and it led to Helen crying out, "Hey, wait" and "Noah, enough!"  He didn't stop.  When it was over, she turned away and started crying.

45 minutes ago, subina167 said:

It was a big plaid blanket that was wrapped around his shoulders.  He's shown taking it off as he gets out of the car.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 9
4 minutes ago, izabella said:

Yes, Noah raped Helen.  I had the closed captioning on, and at first she kept saying "I know you" and he kept saying "You don't know me," with increasing aggression, and it led to Helen crying out, "Hey, wait" and "Noah, enough!"  He didn't stop.  When it was over, she turned away and started crying.

Thanks for confirming. So he's raped Alison and Helen... and somehow the writers want us to sympathize with him? Uh... no.

• Love 18

So much ugh this week. What was Noah doing in solitary confinement with Gunther as his guard? And he doesn't have any water? I guess this was another figment of Noah's imagination. What didn't make sense was identifying himself to Gunther's mother at the hardware store. Very strange.

Helen, I just don't know what to say. She seemed to be the most level headed of the four main characters in season 1 and now she's gone off the deep end too. Why would she want to be with Noah again? I guess Vic called it, she just can't let him go, and I don't think it's only because he went to jail for her. 

Next week is going to be strictly Cole and Allison. From the previews, it looks like they're going to continue sleeping together as well. Is this what the writers are going to ultimately do, get Cole and Allison back together for good, along with Noah and Helen by the end of the series?

• Love 3
46 minutes ago, chick binewski said:

So will we find out Vik had someone on the side or will that be another loose thread?

I was wondering about that. He acted shady earlier in the season when he met a "friend" for "lunch", but this episode he's all about honesty? I'm not sure I buy that, but either way, he needs to run far away from Helen and her mess of a life.

I'm glad we finally got to see the  fallout from last season's hot tub incident, and it was kinda glorious that it was in the form of Furkat punching Noah's light out.

Is it normal in prisons for guards to enter cells and have conversations and physical fights with inmates? Wouldn't there be other guards who would notice and interfere? I'm becoming more and more convinced each episode that Noah's interactions with Gunther are hallucinations. I believe that Gunther exists, because we saw him in Helen's POV, but not that he's obsessed with Noah.

After the sex/rape scene, I want Noah to OD on a mix of alcohol and pain killers and die from choking on his own vomit.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 1

But it didn't seem like rape in Helen's POV.  Or at least they didn't show as much of the sex in her POV.

Yeah I don't get the vixen portrayal either.  Noah is all weak in his POV, a victim to Gunther, being manipulated by Helen who's baiting him with the drugs, then Vic telling him to get lost and Furkat all aggressive before he attacked Noah.

But at the end of it, he suddenly gets aggressive because Helen with the "I know you" made him so?  With an infected neck and a broken shoulder he's been brittle through most of the episode but now he's found the strength to be rough?

Is Helen still into Noah because of the guilt or because she's seeking affirmation or affection from him after he cheated on her?  I can't recall but it seemed like she wanted him even before the accident, especially when he was on his book tour and getting all kinds of attention from other women.

She seemed genuinely hurt that Vic left but did she got over it quickly with the "let's start over again" and the leading him by the hand to the bedroom.

I would tend to think that she wants him back, not because of guilt over him taking the rap for her.  One tell is that she makes a sandwich for him with poppy seed buns -- a foreshadowing before giving him the more potent opioids that he craved.  Compare that to the earlier episode when she slopped together some hastily-made sandwiches with plain white bread for the kids.  She probably even washed her hands before!

As for poor old Vic, it seems he finally grew a pair, especially in the Noah's POV when he was growling at poor Noah like an alpha dog.  But in Helen's POV, he's not marking his territory so much as retreating like a bitch, packing his clothes hurriedly in a pique and giving Helen a litany of each wrongs she committed against him.  Punctuating his departure was the whimpering yelp he let out -- no he wasn't checking out restaurants -- grabbing at his cactus.

Helen couldn't quit Noah and Vic couldn't quit the cactus.  Are there a lot of cacti in the Northeast?  

• Love 4

If Noah did rape her seems like that would back the writers into a corner because viewers aren't going to root for a character they make irredeemable. Or is their point to make us dislike the 4 main characters because it seems like they are heading that way.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, Armchair Critic said:

If Noah did rape her seems like that would back the writers into a corner because viewers aren't going to root for a character they make irredeemable. Or is their point to make us dislike the 4 main characters because it seems like they are heading that way.

I don't know if that's the show runners' intention, but it certainly seems to be the outcome. As far as I'm concerned, Noah became irredeemable when he almost hit on his own daughter at the Hamptons party, Alison became irredeemable when she kept Joanie from Cole, Cole became irredeemable when he cheated on Luisa with Alison, and Helen became irredeemable when she slept with Max last episode. At this point I only watch to see them get their respective comeuppances.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, chocolatine said:

I'm becoming more and more convinced each episode that Noah's interactions with Gunther are hallucinations.

See, the thing is, almost every interaction between Noah and Gunther in prison was shown as Noah's DREAMS.  If 1/2 of what Noah saw when he was awake was hallucination, how much truth was there in his dreams ???

• Love 3
18 hours ago, scrb said:

But it didn't seem like rape in Helen's POV.  Or at least they didn't show as much of the sex in her POV.

Helen's POV ended right before Noah started to rape her.

Hated. This. Episode.

During it I realized I am now officially hate-watching. I don't care about ANY of these characters any longer. I'm just glad Vik got away and I can't imagine why he stuck with sour Helen for 4 whole years. 

Best part of the episode was Furkat saying "Loverboss" and then punching out Noah. 

Edited by Snewtsie
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, dangwoodchucks said:

I don't know where they're going with the Gunther storyline but I wish they would be done with it already.

Do you feel like we're not going to get out of this season without seeing a POV from Gunther's perspective? Because I don't. Maybe they'll have one from Furkat's, too. I mean, hell, why not. It can't get any worse than it already is. 

Run, Vik! Run far away from these losers. Maybe take Luisa with you and both of you can escape.

I really do think the show is leading us to believe that the original 2 couples (Noah/Helen, Cole/Allison) will reunite at the end. As far as I'm concerned, these four toxic cheaters deserve each other.

• Love 1

This ep made me figure out how to go ahead and cancel Showtime. Really done with this show. Can always read the recaps for the final episodes but I can't stand watching these people anymore. When Whitney makes the most sense, it has all gone wrong.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I was wondering about that. He acted shady earlier in the season when he met a "friend" for "lunch", but this episode he's all about honesty? I'm not sure I buy that, but either way, he needs to run far away from Helen and her mess of a life.

I think it was Helen projecting her issues onto Vik, and the truth was that he met a friend for lunch. She was itching to find a reason to push him away.

• Love 2

Noah's recollection of sexy vixen Helen tempting him with drugs was gag inducing

Really, poor Noah couldn't resist the foul temptress! But just where did Helen get the vicodin?  And thinking about it, where the hell was Noah getting all his pills? If he was up to ten a day, he'd be running out of a  normal prescription in a week!

Edited by LuciaMia
  • Love 3

I also had a laugh when Whitney wondered if Noah was back trying to make a "happy family" again. Um. Maybe Whitney missed out on S1, but those people never comprised anything remotely resembling a "happy" family. She had some eating disorder, Martin tried to kill himself, and then there were some other kids who I could never be bothered to pay attention to who I'm sure were just as miserable and fucked up as the rest of them. 

31 minutes ago, LuciaMia said:

Really, poor Noah couldn't resist the foul temptress! But just where did Helen get the vicodin?  And thinking about it, where the hell was Noah getting all his pills? If he was up to ten a day, he'd be running out of a  normal prescription in a week!

Yeah right!!  I wondered about whether Vik wrote him a prescription or not, and I honestly have a hard time believing he would because Helen's POV showed him so vehemently opposed to it.  I trust Noah's POV even less than Helen's, but both are twisted right now, so who knows?  But you raise a great point - who has been prescribing the Vicodin beforehand, since he has been taking 10/day?  And if he admits to 10/day, you know it's really 15...

• Love 2
56 minutes ago, DarkRaichu said:

What happened to the framed picture that Vik bought from Furkat?  It was too small for his bag and he did not carry it with him as he walked out the door. :D

He left it in the front hall closet.  It was there when Noah opened the closet.

I do not think that Noah raped Helen.  In her POV, the sex was consensual and great.  In his POV, it's rough.  I think he started blaming himself for everything bad that happened, starting with his mother's suicide, and now he's pushing away everyone who tries to help him.

Don't these people have Neosporin?  Betadine?  Awareness that you might seek medical attention for an open wound that's oozing pus?

• Love 12
14 hours ago, izabella said:

It was a big plaid blanket that was wrapped around his shoulders.  He's shown taking it off as he gets out of the car.

I thought that Helen wanted him to stop the creepy, crazy, scary way he was acting.  At first she was kind of "playing the game" and then when he took it too far she wanted it to stop.

They are showing way too many shots of Noah's face looking confused.  Get on with it already.  It seems like there is so much filler.

Helen said that Noah's shoulder broke in three different places.  He is constantly in agony.  If this is true he would probably need pain medication.   So why so quick to call him a drug addict.  Is he in pain or not? 

• Love 2

He takes 10 Vicodin a day, assuming that he's being honest about that. That's a lot, and Noah asking Helen and Vik to get him a prescription smacks of addict behavior (*yay* watching Intervention). No reasonable doctor worth his/her license would recommend a patient take that much.

• Love 4

There are so many inconsistencies and non-sequiturs in this season that I've lost count.  Noah must have a doctor treating him for his shoulder problem, but he's obviously using a lot more than what is prescribed and that's why he's trying to get more Vicodin through other sources.  I've wanted to slap Helen ever since last week when she lured Max into having sex.  She is a total narcissist and can't stand the idea that neither Noah nor Max want her.  Vic is the best of the three and she has driven him away.  This whole season makes my head spin.  I'll watch until the end of the season just to see what they do, but I can't imagine this show going any further with the horrible direction in which it's heading.

• Love 3

What the hell is going on with this show? I hate the whole tone of this season. I loved the first two seasons even with its flaws but season three is a hot mess.

This is obviously a minor nit pick but for some reason it bothered me that Helen poured the tomato sauce right out of the jar on the spaghetti without heating it up. Do people put cold sauce on hot pasta? Maybe I'm doing it all wrong.

Anyway, I hate Helen now. How does she not see that Noah hates her? His contempt for her his practically oozing out of him. Desperation is a stinky cologne Helen. 

• Love 13
2 hours ago, GeminiDancer said:

I think it was Helen projecting her issues onto Vik, and the truth was that he met a friend for lunch. She was itching to find a reason to push him away.

8 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

Do you feel like we're not going to get out of this season without seeing a POV from Gunther's perspective? Because I don't. Maybe they'll have one from Furkat's, too. I mean, hell, why not. It can't get any worse than it already is. 

I would totally believe the text message to be a manifestation of Helen's lack of trust. But this season has just confounded me so when taken with Vik's offbeat deadpan and questionable art purchases and proclamations that maybe he's not a good guy I'm left scratching my head. Again.

So, with that I'd like a Vik POV before the end of the season. At least MESF had a somewhat linear, truthful POV. Why not give Vik a shot? Perhaps it will include a lengthy backstory on his attachment to cacti.  

Also, Lois Smith is amazing and I hate that this show stuck her in a dank gun store giving out beef jerky.

• Love 5
25 minutes ago, chick binewski said:

I would totally believe the text message to be a manifestation of Helen's lack of trust. But this season has just confounded me so when taken with Vik's offbeat deadpan and questionable art purchases and proclamations that maybe he's not a good guy I'm left scratching my head. Again.

So, with that I'd like a Vik POV before the end of the season. At least MESF had a somewhat linear, truthful POV. Why not give Vik a shot? Perhaps it will include a lengthy backstory on his attachment to cacti.  

Also, Lois Smith is amazing and I hate that this show stuck her in a dank gun store giving out beef jerky.

Personally, I don't want to see more of Vik.  I don't think the actor is up to the subtlety that goes into replaying scenes in a different manner.  Noah's POV of Vik's behavior is ridiculously bad.  Contrast that to Helen who starts out maternal and concerned, slowly getting a little creepier until it results in a drug-enticing temptress.  There was absolutely no nuance in this actor's portrayal, whereas the four mains are great at it.

I do love that both of Whitney's parents see her as a brat.  She's always been convinced everything is about her.  Remember her college essay which portrays Cole as holding a gun to her head, and casting herself as the center piece?  I'm not sure if it's the actual character I dislike, or the actress.  I think it's both.  I cannot stand her body language, it's always the same.  Standing upright as she listens to her scene partner's part, then she stiffens up, gets those skinny arms chopping, and her hands clutching like a crab's claws, and spits out her lines, as if each word is in italics.  Cannot stand.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

This is obviously a minor nit pick but for some reason it bothered me that Helen poured the tomato sauce right out of the jar on the spaghetti without heating it up. Do people put cold sauce on hot pasta? Maybe I'm doing it all wrong.

She was holding it with towel when pouring like she had microwaved the entire jar.

Agree with those who've said this season feels very disjointed.  Much of that has to with the lack overlap in the various storylines.  The first two seasons had the "who done it/who will get caught theme, this one is just a mess.  And, I'm not enjoying any of the characters.

• Love 6

Something else really bothered me about Helen in this episode, I thought it was so rude the way she kept putting Noah 's parole officer on hold so she could talk to Whitney. I would have said “bitch I don't have time for your family drama I'm working" and hung up.

She has this sense of entitlement that I really can't stand like her time is more important than everyone's else's. Maybe I'm just projecting my own shit here but I really can't stand the character now and I did like her before. 

• Love 10
8 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

Personally, I don't want to see more of Vik.  I don't think the actor is up to the subtlety that goes into replaying scenes in a different manner.  Noah's POV of Vik's behavior is ridiculously bad.  Contrast that to Helen who starts out maternal and concerned, slowly getting a little creepier until it results in a drug-enticing temptress.  There was absolutely no nuance in this actor's portrayal, whereas the four mains are great at it.

I do love that both of Whitney's parents see her as a brat.  She's always been convinced everything is about her.  Remember her college essay which portrays Cole as holding a gun to her head, and casting herself as the center piece?  I'm not sure if it's the actual character I dislike, or the actress.  I think it's both.  I cannot stand her body language, it's always the same.  Standing upright as she listens to her scene partner's part, then she stiffens up, gets those skinny arms chopping, and her hands clutching like a crab's claws, and spits out her lines, as if each word is in italics.  Cannot stand.

I totally agree with the way you've described Whitney and her portrayer. Spitting out her lines at the high volume she uses makes my ears cry. For some reason all of the kid actors annoy me.

They should have limited the series to two seasons, and left out the 'who killed Scotty' mess.

• Love 3

I just read it's been renewed for a fourth season. My God, wonder what they plan to do with all of the characters, I can't even imagine it turning out even halfway satisfying for any of them. 

• Love 6

You know, I really haven't minded this season at all. I might be the only one who cares about Noah's back story and how his magical penis came into being. If they want to hold my interest, however, they've got to give up the truth about Gunther. That storyline suffers the longer it's stretched out.

I think Helen is dying to tell the truth. I think she's going to crack and tell someone-probably Whitney who will screech about it for 10 minutes and then jump on FurKat ( I just can't with that name).

I thought it was interesting how unhinged Helen seemed from her own perspective. Was she projecting?

Bye, Bye Vik. Single good looking surgeons don't stay alone for long.

How many pregnancies will we have this season?

Edited by WaltersHair
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, GeminiDancer said:

He takes 10 Vicodin a day, assuming that he's being honest about that. That's a lot, and Noah asking Helen and Vik to get him a prescription smacks of addict behavior (*yay* watching Intervention). No reasonable doctor worth his/her license would recommend a patient take that much.

Assuming he got a prescription because of his broken shoulder, it wouldn't be unusual to have directions to take 1 or 2 every 4 - 6 hours.  But they aren't doing a good job explaining what exactly happened to his shoulder.  When was it, was his medical care neglected in prison.  And he has intense pain with movement but he doesn't have a brace or anything.  Is he walking around with an untreated fracture?  

The story telling is so bad that it makes the audience have to guess a lot.  Get this prison story over already!

• Love 4

The bad story telling is my biggest beef with the show.  It's all the little details that they leave out, I presume that they think are unnecessary to tell, that just leave you scratching your head.  Little details go a long way to making the story they are trying to tell flow and make sense.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, CarolMK said:

I just read it's been renewed for a fourth season.

WHHHHHHHHYYYYY?! There is no story left to tell here. Noah and Alison had an affair. They got divorced from their spouses. Their spouses' lives were upended. La de fucking da. There is no there there. Showtime should be ashamed. I can't believe they abruptly canceled Penny Dreadful (which was bad enough but still watchable) and keep renewing this shit show. If it were a more thoughtful meditation about the fallout after a marital affair, it might be interesting. But it's nothing more than meandering nonsense that, if written by one of Noah's students, would no doubt get a D. 

As for this show, Gunther yet again confronted Noah in solitary about the details of his crime. I'm sorry, dude. USE GOOGLE. Noah was allegedly some super duper extra famous author who plead guilty to whatever ridiculous charge he faced and I'm nearly certain that Google would yield any number of results if Gunther the Prison Guard could be bothered to fire up his computer. 

Why?  I think because Sarah Treem said she has one more season left that she can tell.  I really hope season four is the end and that they can wrap things up.  Sarah and co do read feedback.  We know that because they've addressed criticisms from past seasons in the writing this season.  If they read all the bad press that they are getting about season three, we can only hope that they can get their act together for season four.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, CarolMK said:

I just read it's been renewed for a fourth season. My God, wonder what they plan to do with all of the characters, I can't even imagine it turning out even halfway satisfying for any of them. 

4 hours ago, WaltersHair said:

You know, I really haven't minded this season at all. I might be the only one who cares about Noah's back story and how his magical penis came into being. If they want to hold my interest, however, they've got to give up the truth about Gunther. That storyline suffers the longer it's stretched out.

I think Helen is dying to tell the truth. I think she's going to crack and tell someone-probably Whitney who will screech about it for 10 minutes and then jump on FurKat ( I just can't with that name).

As much as I've disliked this season I'm kind of glad there will be a fourth. Maybe they can course-correct a bit? And yes - please burn the Gunther storyline and salt the earth. Also, get back to the Hamptons scenery and leave behind the town where bitter high school swimmers go to die.

• Love 8
On January 9, 2017 at 2:46 AM, scrb said:

I would tend to think that she wants him back, not because of guilt over him taking the rap for her.  One tell is that she makes a sandwich for him with poppy seed buns -- a foreshadowing before giving him the more potent opioids that he craved.

On January 9, 2017 at 2:46 AM, scrb said:

Poppy seeds - good catch!  I thought the son not named Martin reading Jane Eyre - crazy wife hiding in the attic/crazy Noah hiding in the basement - was a little heavy-handed.

• Love 3

I think the quote of the night was Whitney's (to Helen): "why do you hate yourself so much?" Putting my armchair psychologist hat, I think that with the parents she grew up with it makes the upmost sense that she would have hooked up in college with a guy that was in awe of her and needed rescuing :)

I also think this episode showed us that Noah also hates himself very much. To the point that he's feeling violently and criminally abusive to someone because she claims she knows him (note that Helen only claims to "know him" in his version).

Noah also hates Helen - he sees her as pushing drugs on him, as well as alcohol.

This just convinces me more and more that both Noah and Alison needed caretakers, which they both initially found, but would love to be loved for who they are not. What they each would love to be loved for remains a mystery, but clearly it's why they embarked on this ill fared affair, each believing the other got them when they clearly never did.  

• Love 3

It's a sad day when Whitney seems to be the voice of reason.

I'm glad Vic left.

I think Noah is definitely hallucinating Gunther now, but not in prison. Maybe Gunther did mistreat him when he was locked up and now the ghost of Gunther's abuse is following Noah around.

• Love 2

I'm not completely convinced that Noah raped Helen, only because I don't believe a single thing we see from his perspective. He's such an unreliable narrator that I wouldn't be surprised if he also thinks he shot Archduke Ferdinand.

• Love 14
2 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

I'm not completely convinced that Noah raped Helen, only because I don't believe a single thing we see from his perspective. He's such an unreliable narrator that I wouldn't be surprised if he also thinks he shot Archduke Ferdinand.

Excellent comment.  I agree...Noah is really off the rails with the pills. Helen is apparently still in love with Noah. She wanted him back before prison, and now sees him as her savior for sacrificing himself.  But Noah does not want Helen, except as a temporary safe island in the storm. Alison...well Alison is struggling to get her daughter...and Cole...back.  Of course, it is hard to tell her true feelings because she jumps in the sack with every passing male. 

Which leaves my all-time favorite...Whitney!  We need more Whitney.  You can never have too much whiny, self-entitled, short-sighted, complaining twenty-something. 

• Love 2