Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Chidi's Choice

22 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Hey-- what if everyone is in the wrong place?

I think there's something to this, that everyone has things to work through: Chidi's indecisiveness, Tahani's feelings of inadequacy, Eleanor and Jason just being sort of garbage people (who I very much love.)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

When does Jason's status get addressed, I wonder? Is there a real Jianyu in The Bad Place, and how did he get switched with Jason, and does that mean Trevor is coming back for another round of negotiations? Will Janet fight to keep Jason in The Good Place? Will Michael fight for Jason like he's fighting for Eleanor? I would think there would be a different story than just repeating the way things have gone down with Eleanor being discovered, but I don't know what I think it should be. I did think it was interesting that Tahani didn't even seem to think of turning Jason in, even though she was very angry.

I loved how they disposed of the love rectangle, but it does mean we still have not seen Chidi ever make a decision.

Welp, now I want Janet to fight for Jason to stay in the Good Place.

10 hours ago, Mockingbird said:

Not enough Michael in this episode, but his growing exasperation with Chidi was hilarious. His delivery on "Retroactively?!" was so good. As were Eleanor and Tahani's objections during during Jason and Janet's wedding. 

I was prepared to be a little cranky that everyone was wasting time while fake Eleanor's future hangs in the balance, but everything ended up being so delightful that I didn't care. If Eleanor just end up damned for eternity, I'm sure she would have wanted to see that wedding before she goes. 

Also, I adored Bambadjan. Can we keep him around, please? 

The delivery of retroactively had me cracking up.

And, yeah, Bambadjan was great, I would definitely not mind him popping up from time to time - even if it is just in the background.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Mockingbird said:

Also, I adored Bambadjan. Can we keep him around, please? 

Even though I had my DVR set for a minute before and a minute after, I think it didn't pick up the first minute or so. Who WAS Bambadjan? I don't know if it's the long hiatus, but I don't remember him from anytime before this.

Also, to the poster who wondered if Eleanor and Tahani were soulmates, I was wondering that, too, but more in an Anna and Elsa (from Frozen) way. Just as Anna's love for her sister was "true love," soulmates don't always have to be romantic, and I kind of feel like Eleanor and Tahani could be sister-soulmates. Which would be kind of funny IMO, since Kristen Bell played Anna in Frozen.

ETA: I just saw DrScottie's explanation of who Bambadjan is. I remember him now. Thanks!

Edited by kirinan
  • Love 1

I'm really curious about Jason's "mix up" because, unlike Eleanor, he wasn't just swapped with someone who has the same name. Jason Mendoza and Jianyu are only similar in that they start with J. So how did that happen? We know Eleanor, they just took the wrong person named Eleanor because there were two in the exact same place dying at the exact same time. Odds of that being Jason's story are slim.

Thing is, this is one of the very few shows whose runners I trust enough to come up with something interesting, funny and great. When the Chidi triangle started I kind of groaned because I hate love triangles, especially when friends are involved, but then I remembered how, during the whole Jason trying to connect with Tahani stuff, I kinda shipped Chidi and Tahani. And how I totally kind of ship Eleanor and Chidi, though I also adore them as besties. And how Real Eleanor is meant to be Chidi's soulmate and I thought, well, duh, of course they have to address this. And they did it perfectly.

And I love that it was Eleanor who decided that she and Tahani can't lose their friendship over a guy. Living Eleanor would have torn Tahani apart. I love how twisted it is that Eleanor is a better person dead than she ever was alive.

This show needs to come back. The world needs this kind of joy in it.

• Love 14

I'm so sick of these freaking networks who hiatus shows and then bring them back without any warning.  If I hadn't been channel surfing, I'd never known that Good Place was back on.   They're pulling this crap with so many shows, and I think that it's the reason why so many shows fail.   There's a reason for summer in TV and that's when they should put these replacement shows on, and not put the regular shows on hiatus for months.  How do they explain the lack of continuity?

I love Chidi and would like to see him stay with Fake Eleanor.  But, if they decide to put her with Tahani, I'd not have a problem with that.  

• Love 1

Re: Chidi's death, looking back you can see that he was hitting the air conditioner to try and make it get cooler because he was so stressed out and then... blammo. Not sure if there are any Dead Like Me fans out there but this one was a gravelings special. I could almost see them jumping on the air conditioner to make it fall and then I got that "Well, I didn't see that coming!" reaction they always had when someone they were there to reap reached their end. So yeah with that POV I just laughed when he got hit by the air conditioner.

Also I was dying when Chidi was standing there with pen and white board marker in hand but completely flummoxed because he couldn't use either to write up a list of pros and cons for writing with either. It's just stuff like that that makes this show so genius at times.

Edited by Wandering Snark
  • Love 17
2 hours ago, Wandering Snark said:

Re: Chidi's death, looking back you can see that he was hitting the air conditioner to try and make it get cooler because he was so stressed out and then... blammo. Not sure if there are any Dead Like Me fans out there but this one was a gravelings special. I could almost see them jumping on the air conditioner to make it fall and then I got that "Well, I didn't see that coming!" reaction they always had when someone they were there to reap reached their end. So yeah with that POV I just laughed when he got hit by the air conditioner.

Also I was dying when Chidi was standing there with pen and white board marker in hand but completely flummoxed because he couldn't use either to write up a list of pros and cons for writing with either. It's just stuff like that that makes this show so genius at times.

I loved Dead Like Me and yes, that's a gravelings thing for sure. And now I can just see them laughing and high fiving each other after poor Chidi gets the air conditioner

• Love 7
On 1/6/2017 at 2:59 AM, RachelKM said:

God Damn, I love this show!  I'm so glad it's back.  

Chidi and his chronic analysis-paralysis was hilarious.  And I could watch Eleanor and Tahani watching Jason's wedding on repeat forever. 

Hopefully the next episode will have more Michael and I cannot wait to see the trial. 

I loved this episode, but for me, there weren't enough Fake Eleanor-Chidi scenes. Their interaction is one of my favorite aspects of the show. Not in a shipper way, but in the way they play off each other. 

The Chidi flashback scenes were hilarious. Until he died, of course. 

• Love 1

Welcome back, Show! I adore you.

There are very few shows I evangelize for -- I live in the land of people who claim they don't watch TV, plus it's awkward to have recommendations bomb -- but everyone should give this one a try. Sharp, clever sitcoms are so rare.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Wandering Snark said:

Yeah, that was such a Bryan Fuller death.

• Love 3
On 1/6/2017 at 8:29 PM, GaT said:

In this episode Eleanor mentioned something about having to look older to get a job at 14. We haven't really gotten any background on Eleanor, just her as an adult. I bet we're going to find out she was emotionally (at least) on her own too & that she and Tahani both grew up thinking they were less & just chose different ways to deal with it.

Wasn't it the last episode before the break where we got a bunch of flashbacks to younger KB Eleanor and it pretty much flat out said she was on her own a lot? (because she moved a lot and didn't bother making friends, something something) So we already know this, sort of.

• Love 1

It's a toss up whether I loved the multiple "What?!?" exclamations and facial expressions from Chidi at the end more or the deadpanned “Gotta go spend all that money you stole" response to Fake Eleanor's story about her annoying boyfriends who bothered her after she quickly bounced asking if she lifted money from their wallets. 

Didn't realize how much I missed this. So happy it's back.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, JasmineFlower said:

It's a toss up whether I loved the multiple "What?!?" exclamations and facial expressions from Chidi at the end more or the deadpanned “Gotta go spend all that money you stole" response to Fake Eleanor's story about her annoying boyfriends who bothered her after she quickly bounced asking if she lifted money from their wallets. 

Didn't realize how much I missed this. So happy it's back.

I loved Eleanor's Chidi impressions. Kristen Bell totally nailed his voice and facial expressions. The raised eyebrows, the "Eleanor, this is giving me a stomach ache" and "Abso-LUTE-ly" were all spot on. 

• Love 2

good point Rinaldo. Honestly, I didn't even realize that the show doesn't really have a villain, and truth be told, I watch a lot of the shows I watch for the villain! I love a good villain. But I love that TGP doesn't have or need a villain. And really, none of these good people are at all annoying to me. That's a first. OMG is The Good Place making me a Good Person!!?!?!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

So many little things made me LOL this episode. The look on Jason's face when Tahani said Ariana Grande was like a sister he'd like to sleep with. The restaurant Chidi was at in the flashback was "Eating Nemo." Jason and Janet's wedding invitation. Digital Get Down. Hilarious. I need this show to be renewed. 

• Love 3

I love reading all these almost as much as I love the show!  I can't even claim a favorite character - they are all that good.  I want to see Janet go against Trevor - she will win of course - never losing her smile.  

• Love 2
On 1/6/2017 at 9:15 AM, SoothingDave said:

"It was on the BBC for 16 years.  They did nearly 20 episodes."

Bwah!  I caught the first part of that, but missed the second part (and thus the joke!).  Glad you quoted this! 

I love the little nuances too, besides the big belly laughs.  I think Eleanor showed a lot of growth in this episode, in that she's really letting down her guard and letting people in.  Real Eleanor, Tahani, Chidi, and Jason and Janet have all become important to her.  These people have all made her better in their own ways. (Yes, even Jason, who shows her how to have happy abandon.)  I love how Bambadjan hugged her despite her protests and that she admitted it made her feel better. 

I laughed at how Jason and Janet only invited two guests to their wedding!  His trying to smoosh cake in her face, and her not quite getting it was subtle brilliance!  Eleanor and Tahani reminded me of how much of a spectator sport weddings can be.

I'm betting Michael is going to figure out Jason's situation next week when Janet will likely impart the news that she's married Jason, and Michael wonders why Jason is no longer with his assigned soulmate Tahani.  Wonder where everyone will live?

And finally, Chidi's reaction to the wedding ("Wait, WHAT?") made my night. 

• Love 5
On 1/12/2017 at 8:04 AM, Cowgirl said:

I'm betting Michael is going to figure out Jason's situation next week when Janet will likely impart the news that she's married Jason, and Michael wonders why Jason is no longer with his assigned soulmate Tahani.  Wonder where everyone will live? 

It's probably come up before, but I don't get why Tahani and Eleanor have their own places but Jason and Chidi seem not to. They have lives and backstories (oh, how I love those backstories) so don't seem to just be constructs in Eleanor and T's universes. Surely their versions of the Good Place would include their dream houses, but I don't think it's even been referenced.  Of course, Jason has is his cave in Tahani's house and as he is not meant to be there, that could be why he doesn't have a place, but when real Eleanor comes along, they all have to work out how to fit in to real/fake-Eleanor's house. I would have thought Chidi would have a book-filled library or something at the very least. 

So much thought has gone into this show's universe, I don't understand why this is not explained. It can't be an oversight surely. 

• Love 1

I am guessing, and I think someone here mentioned it as well, that Jianyu, being a monk and therefore not into possessions might not have had a "dream house". Chidi had what seemed to be an apartment over a shop in town, I just remember it being upstairs. I do think it's odd that ones dream home would be an apartment. Maybe it is some kind of intellectual fantasy, like how it's romantic to be a starving artist with a studio in some attic in Paris with a view of the Eiffel Tower. IDK. He moved in with Eleanor so they could have classes more often and he didn't have to commute to class.

Honestly, whatever my Good Place house was, given the option I would probably move into Tahani's place too. It's a freaking palace! Eleanor's, with the creepy clown nook and hidden stairs, not so much.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

Chidi had what seemed to be an apartment over a shop in town,

Oh, okay. I thought that was his earthly place. Obviously I have not watched closely enough and will need to re-watch all of them pronto.

Tahani's house is impressive but I don't think I'd want it. I'd go for a well-appointed cabin in the mountains. I'd probably be happy in Eleanor's as well, bar the creepy clown nook.

I'd forgotten the hidden stairs that only real Eleanor know about... classic. But yeah where does/did Chidi live?

One thing I love about Jason is that not only is he a DJ, he's a terrrrible DJ. *laughs* DJ Music! He even botched his intro clearly saying "Let's get ready to married" I believe. I wish they'd had the rest of the 'ceremony' in that clip.

Edited by Wandering Snark

As Mabinogia mentioned, Chidi had an apt. They showed it, the outside of it and briefly. It
seems to have a set of fire escape stairs. I wonder if it's like the apt/bldg he had in his living
life. Then he moved into Eleanor's. But where does he sleep there? I've only seen 1 bed and
no guestroom. The couch?

Didn't realize this show was back until last night. I think this was the funniest episode yet. When Chidi's friend said that he filibustered recess, I was dying. Also loved Chidi's what's during the wedding. Speaking of, that wedding was hilarious. I usually do not care for dumb characters, but the actor playing Jason is just so good at making him likable, I can't help but love him.

• Love 1

I re-watched the first half of episode one today, and Chidi had the exact same "Wait...what?" reaction when Eleanor told him it was a mistake she was there, she was not a lawyer who got innocent people off death row and performed humanitarian missions and she hates clowns, all in one breath. 

So I rewatched this episode and (Original) Eleanor alternated between having natural nails and dark nail-polish throughout the episode. I'm guess ing Kristen Bell just applied some between day one and two of shooting, but it did seem like she had the nail polish on during the more "confessional" moments, even if it wasn't there later in the same scene.

• Love 1

Hey, I watched this episode because I wanted to put off doing other things (before watching a TV programme about Procrastination) so it really fitted!

I guess Jianyu doesn't have Chidi's problems with indecision!
Loved him forcing the cake into Janet's mouth (it's got to be hard for the actress to not react while being force fed like that).

Liked that Eleanor chose not to do the whole cat fight thing with Tahani but chose to bond instead.

On ‎06‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 10:49 PM, tennisgurl said:

The Britcom we saw was amazing, and they made almost 20 episodes in 30 years!

But so true! (It was basically Birds of a Feather - which actually had 128 episodes over 12 series-es).

On ‎07‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 4:33 AM, Ms Blue Jay said:

And she thought Ariana Grande was a relative of Jason's.  I mean, that BBC show?

...The whole soulmate theme on the show makes me look at love in a different, less shallow way.

I liked Tahani pointing out that wishing Ariana Grande was his relative AND that he wanted to bang her was kinda messed up (but believable).

I hate the concept of "soulmates" in general, so I'm glad they're poking fun at the idea.

• Love 1

I like fake Eleanor and Chidi as friends. I don't need it to be romantic. Especially because I like him helping her for ethical and moral reasons and not any romantic sentiment. He's more compatible with Tahani or real Eleanor anyway.

Chidi's soccer memory was hilarious. Especially when the camera panned over to the teacher.

I support more Chidi and Janet heavy episodes. They were both so funny this episode. One of the better ones.