Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E05: The Lone Wolf

formerlyfreedom
  • Start Topic

On 1/9/2017 at 11:31 AM, SRTouch said:

I was just reading an article where Fowler discusses why he couldn't move across the lake, but needed to move back from the shore. http://www.penbaypilot.com/article/alone-week-3-things-start-get-serious-zach/80302 What it amounts to is that the rules wouldn't let him move across the lake, and he only had about 15 feet of low lieing, flood prone shore before the steep hill. Said he had about 6-10 square miles inside his allowable space, but only a quarter mile of it on the lake, and all of that consisted of that narrow strip.

Also, I'm not sure if it's accurate, but I posted a link under the Alone in the Media topic. It claims to be where they're all sited

http://www.pbase.com/jimthode/image/164740596/original

Really glad to hear this. I suspected that there was no way that the "boat maker" wouldn't have made a boat unless there was a valid reason. Look at all the other stuff he makes (but actually finishes unlike Jose!). I never thought that his move was only about the sunshine. It really was only mentioned in those 2 early episodes and never mentioned again. He cannot cross the lake due to producer restrictions. Sucks for him, but if he is getting at least 1 fish a day, he is not totally starving like some of the others. 

• Love 1

Callie, shouldn't have faked people out with the crying wolf routine.

No one will believe or sympathize with you now.

Time to showcase your herbal healing powers by treating your spider bites with a poultice of active charcoal mixed tree oils to draw out the poison or some such remedy.

Greg, hope you have some hot rocks in your sleeping bag to warm yourself up.

• Love 1

Seriously? Crying wolf? That is how you see it? First, we don't have to believe her, the rescue people have to believe her and she was not talking to them. She never turned on her phone as she showed us.  I think production must have been laughing their heads off on this video, they have said so much of the video is talking heads where people are saying the same thing over and over. 

As to greg, I have no idea what his sleeping bag is, they have all different levels out there. 

• Love 7

I'm really hoping that's not Callie with the spider bites that we saw in the preview.  I know they made it seem like her, but the voiceover could have been any of the women, as they all sound the same to me, and we didn't actually see the face of the person with the bites.  Please don't be Callie!!

• Love 1

I enjoyed seeing the map of where the contestants are.  If correct I would absolutely assume that many of them can see each others' smoke.  In fact--- I would think Fowler has a nice "fire tower" type view from the top of his little mountain. Hmmm.  just sayin'.  

4 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

greg, hope you have some hot rocks in your sleeping bag to warm yourself up.

This has always been a curiosity to me.  I know that the pilgrims or the frontierspeople had some sort of 'foot warmer" that they would heat and put in their bed.   I've heard of them putting warm bricks in their bed to warm it.  Yet I've never seen anyone do this on these types of shows.  I thought of it often in the "alaska experiment" when they trekked across the country--esp. the one where they had to camp in that crashed airplane.  

So I hope Greg does think to lay some warm rocks on his sleeping bag. He could throw in his dry clothes that he's going to change into for a few minutes too.   I hope he was wise enough to have dry clothes available anytime he risks going into the water.  

4 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Callie, shouldn't have faked people out with the crying wolf routine.

Ya know..  Since we brought this up..   I didn't mind Callie's little prank . It was cute.  I didn't find it esp. clever or funny myself--but a little humor and fun.   And she didn't claim she saw Bigfoot--she said she was tapping.  Totally plausible.     However--  It did bug me when she said "oh you fell for that? "     It's just a peeve of mine.  I think    "Yes..  I bought it at first..I have no reason to doubt you.  However, if you are going to consider me a fool and a sucker for trusting what you say then I'll just wise up and discount everything you say".   Hows that?     No biggie--but it was a bit of a turn off to me about Callie. 

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, Canada said:

I'm really hoping that's not Callie with the spider bites that we saw in the preview.  I know they made it seem like her, but the voiceover could have been any of the women, as they all sound the same to me, and we didn't actually see the face of the person with the bites.  Please don't be Callie!!

Yeah, I backed it up a couple times, and was never sure who it was. My thought was it was Megan, but I was never sure, and just decided to wait and see because I have a bad track record of falling for the preview teases.

• Love 1

I wonder if the spider bites have anything to do with the sauna?  I mean get all warm and steamy and then expose yourself to the critters for a bit naked and those spiders maybe smelled a meal.

As I recall in the movie Jeremiah Johnson Robert Redford and the other mountain man laid a bed of coals down with pine boughs as a way to sleep with minimal shelter in snowy conditions. Redfern didn't put enough pine boughs down and his bedding got too hot in the middle of the night.  I imagine a similar setup could be arranged with bamboo.

I like Fowler.  He already lives off the grid in Maine full time so he should be pretty tough.  His upper hill location has some drawbacks (lots of energy expended) however there may be a lot of mud and water issues down further.

Fowler said that he was dyslexic and I started ranting. There are so many ways/coping mechanisms that exist to help kids with dyslexia that so many school districts do not use because it is less expensive to stick a kid in remedial classes then to actually teach the child. I was diagnosed with 8 learning disabilities when I was in kindergarten. Dyslexia (letters) and dysnumeria (numbers) are but two of them. I listened to teachers conducting IPE meetings with my parents tell my parents that I could not graduate from high school so they should be thinking of votech schools. I was in first freaking grade.

There is nothing wrong with vocational schools. I love them and think that it should be an option for students who are less interested in college or traditional schools. Mind you, vocational schools still require the basic subjects and there are very few skills that you learn in vocational skills that don't require reading and math. My parents told the school to jump in a lake and spent 12 years fighting with various school districts, one in Massachusetts and one in California, to keep me on the College Prep class. My Mom had to fight the schools to keep me in high school math and sciences for gods sake.

I graduated with honors and in the top 10% of my high school class, with highest honors from college and with my PhD. So nothing gets my blood boiling then hearing people discuss something that can be dealt with talk in a manner that implies that they did not get the help they deserved. I saw far too many smart kids in remedial classes because their parents bought into someone's idea that their kid with learning disabilities could not succeed in school.

My younger brother did not read until he was in 3rd grade because of his dyslexia and he graduated from college with an English Literature degree. Just AAARRRRGGGGHHHH

And so I also get testy when their are comments about spelling and the like because, well, I don't distinguish between soft sounds and I have dyslexia and a host of other issues so I know that my spelling can be sub par but not everyone who spells things wrong are being lazy, sometimes they just can't spell for legit reasons. I do use spell checker and hopefully that catches most of problems but it is a bit of a touch point.

Anyway, Fowler has some amazing skills and is doing a great job. I am thrilled that he found something that he enjoys doing and makes him happy. His wood crafting is awesome. I just hope that he had a real chance to do well in other areas and that he wasn't dicked over because it was the easy path for the school to take.

• Love 6

Sing it, ProfCrash.  There is no way Fowler could be the incredible buider and maker that he is without a complete mastery and intimate understanding of complex spatial relations, 3D (and 4D) geometry, and innate advanced applied math--all skills some "educators" would have you believe people with dyslexia lack.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

And so I also get testy when their are comments about spelling and the like because, well, I don't distinguish between soft sounds and I have dyslexia and a host of other issues so I know that my spelling can be sub par but not everyone who spells things wrong are being lazy, sometimes they just can't spell for legit reasons. I do use spell checker and hopefully that catches most of problems but it is a bit of a touch point.

Anyway, Fowler has some amazing skills and is doing a great job. I am thrilled that he found something that he enjoys doing and makes him happy. His wood crafting is awesome. I just hope that he had a real chance to do well in other areas and that he wasn't dicked over because it was the easy path for the school to take.

You may be referring to one of my posts, because I made the comment about his bad spelling being humorous because it was really out there. I said that before I knew he was dyslexic. But, my comments have nothing to do with anything negative against him or people who are dyslexic.  I really looked at his spelling as more like: big burly guy, big fingers, small keyboard, and like when a person hits a key and you get several letters or the wrong ones and you get wild spellings, but you can still get the gist of what they mean. My husband does the same thing. Luckily he uses the speech recognition thing to send texts, otherwise it is a mess!  lol

• Love 1

Sorry if I left that impression. I wasn't. I make a few mistakes here or there and most comments are humorous. TWoP had a few folks who were unrelenting and not funny. It pissed me off royally. And it really is just a hot button issue of mine and once I get going, I get going.

I hope for Fowler's sake that he is really happy with what he is doing because he is really good at it. I hope that he wasn't deprived of another career path because he has a LD that is manageable when given proper support. I know many kids who were not given proper support and did not have a fair shot at reaching their potential, had paths closed off to them, because the school district told their parents that there was little that could be done and convinced them to put the kid in remedial classes.

I know the impact that the language a few of my teachers used around me left me with poor self esteem and a lack of confidence. I have been working on those issues but it is hard for me to believe that I am intelligent because I had too may people telling me the opposite. I earned a PhD and I struggle with the idea that I might be smart. It is not self-deprecating, it is the aftermath of assholes who made ridiculous comments about a 6 - 17 year old. The way Fowler mentioned his dyslexia hit me.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, riverheightsnancy said:

Did he talk about it on the regular show, or the preview show? I missed the preview show. 

IIRC he just sort of mentions it in passing as he's weaving his shelter bamboo walls. Says something like his doesn't mind the dyslexia since he thinks it encouraged him to build and create things. 

If you get the chance, I enjoyed looking at his off the grid homestead and the various things/structures he's made. He's another one who is think it would be great to meet and talk with.

Uh huh - I was banned from TWOP for spelling. I don't spell that bad or that often, but I like to say that as I got older, my typing has become dyslexic and I type "taht" instead of "that" I don't know why (had to correct hwy) spell check doesn't catch that, I do go back to reread to look for errors, but don't always catch it.  I think maybe some fingers are slower than others now. 

But, sure generations of people and some still today are screwed over by easily addressed problems. It is a shame,  but I don't think there is any enthusiasm in government to fix it, and one state has been caught trying to suppress diagnosis of kids with disabilities so they don't have to pay for help. Not going to get into a great political discussion over it,. PM if you want to know which or google.

I think Fowler is fine, he is old enough that you can see he found his niche and seems a positive person, so I think there is a happy ending here.  

Nw I hve to find the next thread, unbelievable show tonight.