Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E08: And the Eternal Question

Seems like a Cassandra episode, which is cool.  Hey, you know what can kill vampires?  Sunlight, fire, decapitation.  You know what can't kill vampires?  Brain cancer.  It could be cool if they do it in a "What are you willing to live with in order to live?" kind of way.

I will say that I'm puzzled by what doctor appeared to be saying.  When exactly was "taking care of the tumor" ever on the table for Cassandra?  The whole point of her situation is medical science can't help her.  It was why she betrayed the Librarians to the Serpent Brotherhood in the first place.  To get a cure for herself and all the other doomed people that medical science could not help.  Are we going to get some version of this conversation?

Cassandra: "The doctor says I have to take care of my tumor now."

Librarians: "Is that even an option?"

Cassandra: "Oh, sure.  It's been on the table for years."

Librarians: "Then why haven't you done it?  You betrayed us to get a cure."

Cassandra: "It's the general anesthetic they use.  It has this lingering cherry-lavender smell that's just super-duper-ooper-pooper icky."

Librarians: *Beat the snot out of Cassandra*

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 6

OMG girl kisses.  I thought I was imagining the insane chemistry between Cassandra and the female vampire whose name escapes me.  Cassandra who gets all the hot chicks and the shows plays that up a lot so when the show veered heavily toward a Cassandra/Jenkins pairing (which I am NOT against) I really thought I  was imagining the femslaah chemistry.  I was not.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, cheezelover1122 said:

i think Cassandra is a little bit bi because one the obvious kiss in this episode and when they were in the story book town she became prince charming

I think Cassandra is pretty much open to anything/anyone at this point and good for her.  I do like that the Jenkins bit seemed "girl crushing on a father figure" while the kiss at the end with Estrella was "adult woman with another adult woman."  I loved Cassandra's dress at the end as well.  I think Cassandra's theme song for this episode was:

I also really liked Jenkins and the vampires.  He clearly saw them as complex people just like other humans.  He also had no problem butchering his way through them to save Jones and Stone.  Which means he wouldn't have any problem butchering his way through actual humans to save his Librarians.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, cheezelover1122 said:

i think Cassandra is a little bit bi because one the obvious kiss in this episode and when they were in the story book town she became prince charming

Wasn't it also implied she was romantically involved with Eve in the Loom of Fate alternate timeline (before Eve died)? That's how I read the scene. She's definitely more than a little bi. Not sure why she didn't hang around with Estrella for a little while! 

On 1/1/2017 at 7:59 PM, johntfs said:

When exactly was "taking care of the tumor" ever on the table for Cassandra?  The whole point of her situation is medical science can't help her.  It was why she betrayed the Librarians to the Serpent Brotherhood in the first place.  To get a cure for herself and all the other doomed people that medical science could not help.  Are we going to get some version of this conversation?

They did not explain this. It was a good episode but that's a pretty glaring continuity issue.

3 hours ago, BooksRule said:

Jenkins saved the day again!  With swords!

Jenkins was amazing! Surely, the vampires zip fast enough that he shouldn't have been able to take out like 8 of them, but hey it's Jenkins so I'm happy to handwave that.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

OMG girl kisses.  I thought I was imagining the insane chemistry between Cassandra and the female vampire whose name escapes me.  

I had to fan the smoke coming off my screen from the hotness. I mean, why isn't there more slash on this show ffs? *fan fan fan* Though much easier if it's Cassandra than Stone. 

10 minutes ago, snarktini said:

Jenkins was amazing! Surely, the vampires zip fast enough that he shouldn't have been able to take out like 8 of them, but hey it's Jenkins so I'm happy to handwave that.

He is *the* Knight of the Round Table, no? If anyone can wreck shop on a bunch of vampires, I would think Galahad. 

Not really happy that Eve was sidelined on a "date" because I just don't think she'd let this all get so out of hand, nor just not be involved. I'm just not seeing Eve/Flynn at this stage in the show. (Which has nothing to do with me asking RR out) but show-wise, she is way way too invested in the Library that she'd go off  with Flynn while the others fought *vampires*. 

• Love 3

Couldn't stop laughing at yet another beautiful female guest star having the hots for Cassandra while totally oblivious to Jones and Stone.

The Cassandra crush seemed to come out of nowhere. It would be icky even if she was immortal like Jenkins.

Her doctor must have been one hell of a surgeon, he was able to remove a giant tumor from her brain without having to shave her head.

He seemed a little shifty too. I wonder if Jenkins accidentally finding the neurosurgeon's business card was truly coincidental? Maybe the neurosurgeon had magical help. Cassandra's powers are now amplified instead of diluted or gone after the surgery. Seems like magic was involved in the brain tumor removal.

I seriously hate when shows bait and wait you. So Flynn was finally going to confess the "Big Secret" to Eve? Of course, this was the moment Eve finds out about Cassandra. So now we have to wait (hopefully not until the season finale) for Flynn's secret to be revealed? :(

It was nice to watch Eve being bored during the romantic dinner and totally know Flynn was up to something.

• Love 4

It looks like Cassandra's tumor wasn't the cause of her gifts but might of actually been muting them.   

I have no issue with the tumor suddenly being operable.  I can fanwank that the tumor always had a less the awesome change of survival.  She was probably told early on that an operation might save her but would probably kill her or she could live with tumor in her head until it does kill her.  As for Cassandra still having all her hair after major head surgery...it's tv move on.

• Love 5

I was always under the impression Cassandra's tumor GAVE her the abilities, but the scene after she had it removed implies instead that the tumor had actually been IMPEDING them. You could make the case, I suppose, that becoming a Librarian gave her both the powers and the tumor (the latter being an unintended side effect of the former) and that the Library may have had a hand in helping fix the problem it created, since as has been pointed out up until now we had been told the tumor was inoperable. Now suddenly (like magic) this doctor comes along to fix it?

Cassandra crushing on Jenkins didn't bother me, though it did kind of seem to come out of left field. Or have there been hints before which I missed? I suppose it could have been in the back of her mind but never expressed, and dying made her figure she might as well take a shot since what would she have to lose at that point? As for Cassandra and the vampire (I can't seem to recall her name either), until the kiss I was starting to think I was the only one who noticed the insane chemistry going on there. And while we're on the subject of vampires, I liked the fact the producers remembered and did a call back to the fact Flynn was involved with one, played by Stana Katic no less.

As much as I like Noah Wyle I didn't miss Flynn this episode. Weirdly, though, I didn't miss Baird either.

Edited by KirkB
  • Love 3

I think we were all supposed to believe that indeed it was the tumor causing her abilities. *SHE* believed that to be the case. And only now are we realizing, along with her, that it was actually impeding them all along.

As for the hair... when she was wrapped up in a towel, in the hospital bed, I was pleased that they'd remembered to shave her head and was looking forward to having that plot point... then totally missed the sudden regrowth. I see 4 possibilities:

1. A lot of time passed between the hospital and her visit to the vamp farm. Like, a lot.

2. They only had to shave part of the back of her head and the bald area is covered by the rest of her hair.

3. Wig. If that's the case though, it would have been nice to show her taking it off before the ending.

4. Magic.  Heck, maybe her own magic. She was able to put thoughts into another person's head for crying out loud! She's been courted before by the ladies in the lake... I suspect she's destined to be one of the strongest wizards of all time and her power is only just starting to be made known. I wouldn't be at all surprised if her destiny was indeed to become an immortal-- maybe she already is one and just doesn't know it yet.

As for the 'inoperable' tumour, I can fanwank that... I'd have to rewatch early episodes to see exactly the words used, but it's not unfathomable that it was just a case of "very low likelihood of you surviving the operation, whether or not we even successfully remove the tumour". So if the options are, live with it for a reasonable amount of time, or probably die on the operating table, then "nothing they can do" is not far off base.

Then by now, it's reached the point where the options became "definitely die in a couple weeks... or probably die on the operating table" then taking the chance on the surgery becomes more palatable.

But I do like the idea of the doctor being magic, too!!

• Love 2
11 hours ago, snarktini said:

No doubt Jenkins has had centuries of practice against the magically-animated Excalibur.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, BooksRule said:

Jenkins saved the day again!  With swords!

Loved what I assumed was an 'Angel' shoutout--   Stone:  'I don't like vampires'. 

Not only that, but he looked at his hand (that Lindsey lost on "Angel") and THEN declared he didn't like vampires. Loved it.

• Love 12
15 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I don't know if it was kissing another woman or having her brain tumor removed, but something got Cassandra to dress like an adult. For that, I'm grateful.

Quoted for truth. I hope they're going to stop dressing her like a five year old from now on.

• Love 12
29 minutes ago, NeenerNeener said:

Quoted for truth. I hope they're going to stop dressing her like a five year old from now on.

What, you mean to say a hot pink, bejeweled sweater vest over a short-sleeved floral print dress over a long-sleeved floral print blouse isn't to your taste?!

The floaty dress was lovely on her. She's beautiful, but that often gets hidden. Fingers crossed!

• Love 7
15 hours ago, GaT said:

Her doctor must have been one hell of a surgeon, he was able to remove a giant tumor from her brain without having to shave her head.

Maybe they did it laparoscopically through her nose, behind her eye, or behind her ear. I was mostly joking in my response until I decided to google. It turns out that there is a keyhole brain surgery and minimally invasive endoscopic brain surgery. I don't think this show is smart enough to know that.

I enjoyed the episode as I always do, but I never feel connected to these characters. I don't feel real chemistry between them, I don't feel like we really know anything about them. Even when we get tidbits of background it feels so cursory that it's just fluff that blows away.

i had sort of forgotten that Cassandra had the tumor, and now we blink and it's gone? And now she's going to be even more powerful? The three librarians (I'm not counting Flynn) before this didn't seem equally balanced before this episode, and now I fear it will be worse.

and this is the second time now, I think, that Jenkins saved them. Are these librarians really worth anything?

i hate to compare it to leverage, but in that show the ensemble was really balanced, and you really got to know each character in a deep way.

I guess I'm just always seeing huge potential for these stories and characters, and am perpetually disappointed. I should just see this as light, popcorn entertainment with no depth.

Edited by Eliza422
  • Love 3

I'm pretty sure the people running the show are smart enough to use Google search to learn what they didn't know.

I suppose they could have shown some of the surgery by cutting something else.  Jenkins weed-whacking vampires or Cassandra and her lovely dress and center-of-the-sun hot kiss.  I'm kind of glad they didn't.

• Love 3

I thought Cassandra didn't want to risk the operation because she thought she would lose her abilities if she survived it... But I don't remember the exact reasoning behind what the serpent whatever were offering her in the first episode.

I, too was surprised by her magic hair regrowth... but it's not like there aren't other inconsistencies in this show to ignore. I liked her and the vampire daughter.

I didn't mind having Flynn and Baird out of the picture for this main problem- they are sort of like the mom and dad of the team so it gave the others a chance to do their thing. Though I do kind of wish Flynn and Baird had been doing something more interesting.

Not only that, but he looked at his hand (that Lindsey lost on "Angel") and THEN declared he didn't like vampires. Loved it

Ha!  I totally missed that!

I also appreciated Cassandra's choice of dress at the end.  I don't know how old Cassandra is supposed to be, but the actress who plays her is 37 years old.  I wonder how she's felt about dressing like a child.  I think it would be great if the tumor removal also influenced her clothing choices from now on.  

• Love 5

I developed one heck of a case of whiplash between Cassandra throwing herself at Jenkins (have I been totally oblivious or just where did that come from?) and then the liplock with Estella (did their previous discussions count as passing the Bechdel test if the gals are into one another?). The first was clunky, though Laroquette managed to elevate it, and the second seemed lazy.

• Love 3

JL must've loved this episode. First the beautiful younger woman hits on him then he gets to save the 2 younger hunky men. With  swordplay, no less. Maybe this episode was a  birthday present? Lol

• Love 3
4 hours ago, NeenerNeener said:

From your lips to the producers ears. I detest the way they dress her. She always looks like she is trying to bait a pervert on Dateline's "To Catch a Predator" or something! But I also did not know she was 37 she does look younger, If I had guessed I would have thought she was in her late 20's.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Terrafamilia said:

I developed one heck of a case of whiplash between Cassandra throwing herself at Jenkins (have I been totally oblivious or just where did that come from?) 

I thought I must have just missed something, but maybe not. Have there been hints that she was into Jenkins? Or did they just pull that out of nowhere?

3 hours ago, Eliza422 said:

I enjoyed the episode as I always do, but I never feel connected to these characters. I don't feel real chemistry between them, I don't feel like we really know anything about them. Even when we get tidbits of background it feels so cursory that it's just fluff that blows away.

i had sort of forgotten that Cassandra had the tumor, and now we blink and it's gone? And now she's going to be even more powerful? The three librarians (I'm not counting Flynn) before this didn't seem equally balanced before this episode, and now I fear it will be worse.

and this is the second time now, I think, that Jenkins saved them. Are these librarians really worth anything?

i hate to compare it to leverage, but in that show the ensemble was really balanced, and you really got to know each character in a deep way.

I guess I'm just always seeing huge potential for these stories and characters, and am perpetually disappointed. I should just see this as light, popcorn entertainment with no depth.

This is sort of where I am with the show as well.  The first season introduced us to characters with baggage.  Since then most of the baggage has just disappeared and we're veering into sitcom territory - Jones and Stone go out and do some Laurel and Hardy stuff and then one of the adults bails them out of their jam.  Cassandra goes back and forth for me, but I'm disappointed with how the brain grape became a non-issue for almost 1 1/2 seasons, then comes barrelling back in as a huge issue that gets resolved in 20 minutes.

The comparison to Leverage is pretty natural because of the shared DNA - that show was what brought many of us to this one, and we were hoping that this one would give us the same richness of characters.  I feel like we're not getting that right now, and I wish I could say it was because Rogers left but it started last season for me.  Even though we didn't know all the backstory on the Grifters, we could infer things from their consistent behavior and we're not getting the consistency. 

Remember the lovely speech Stone gave to Cassandra when he told her that nobody he grew up with knew about him?  I would like more moments like that, from all of them.  Baird didn't get to be who she was by accident, and I'd like to know more about what drove her there.  I'd really like to know how Jones became the world's greatest thief - a few flashbacks, some old friends, references to family - something to help me understand what led them to the Library and how the Library is helping to fill the holes inside them. 

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, GaT said:

I thought I must have just missed something, but maybe not. Have there been hints that she was into Jenkins? Or did they just pull that out of nowhere?

I am confident that you didn't miss anything! If a crush has ever been implied, it was beyond subtle. 

No Tomas, you're too hot to be evil! And - I say this as a straight woman - that kiss between Cass and Estrella was smoking hot. I heartily approve of Cass's pretty dress at the end, and heartily disapprove of her previous eyesore, I mean ensemble, and Eve's pantsuit as well.

OK, climbing out of the shallow end of the pool now... That was a great episode. I'm so happy to get to see Lindy finally show off her chops a bit, so to speak, and show off a more mature side, as well as addressing the brain grape once again. As far as her seeming crush on Jenkins, I've always sensed a lot of affection between the two of them - and I mean affection in the sense of great mutual respect and a shared interest in/view of the world. I can see how her turmoil over the tumor would lead her to perhaps misconstrue that affection as a more romantic love. I'm curious to see what will happen from here between them.

I truly loved the scene of everyone waiting for news at the hospital. THe family dynamic is one of my very favorite things on this show, and I'm always happy when they show it.

Jenkins once again saves the day! JL is too awesome, and I never tire of watching him save the day. Whatever you think of Jenkins/Eve, it gave JL some different beats to play than he normally gets on this show. THen again I've liked him since Night Court, so I could well be biased.

I'm very happy we had minimal Flynn, though I'm sorry it meant very little Eve as well. Was I the only one who wanted punch Flynn in the face when he commanded Eve to "come" like she was a dog?

Looks like we're gearing up for finale-village next week. Darn short seasons.

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, lizzyp said:

This is sort of where I am with the show as well.  The first season introduced us to characters with baggage.  Since then most of the baggage has just disappeared and we're veering into sitcom territory - Jones and Stone go out and do some Laurel and Hardy stuff and then one of the adults bails them out of their jam.  Cassandra goes back and forth for me, but I'm disappointed with how the brain grape became a non-issue for almost 1 1/2 seasons, then comes barrelling back in as a huge issue that gets resolved in 20 minutes.

The comparison to Leverage is pretty natural because of the shared DNA - that show was what brought many of us to this one, and we were hoping that this one would give us the same richness of characters.  I feel like we're not getting that right now, and I wish I could say it was because Rogers left but it started last season for me.  Even though we didn't know all the backstory on the Grifters, we could infer things from their consistent behavior and we're not getting the consistency. 

Remember the lovely speech Stone gave to Cassandra when he told her that nobody he grew up with knew about him?  I would like more moments like that, from all of them.  Baird didn't get to be who she was by accident, and I'd like to know more about what drove her there.  I'd really like to know how Jones became the world's greatest thief - a few flashbacks, some old friends, references to family - something to help me understand what led them to the Library and how the Library is helping to fill the holes inside them. 

You have definitely captured what I was trying to articulate. We are in season 3, and you could stick this episode anywhere in season 1 or 2 and it would not stand out.

I would love true growth, true change.

• Love 1

Didn't expect the tumor to be back. Which is better? A tumor suddenly retconned to be vulnerable? Or a character who just didn't bother to get medical treatment for a tumor? Or did we just get both? Oh, well, it's an action/comedy series. Yet, this episode was a little too heavy to be funny, while being a little slapdash for serious I thought. I'm afraid I see Pete/Myka in Jake/Cassandra, so a flirtation with H.G./Estrella isn't easing my dark suspicions. 

Jake bopping vampires left and right while Jones stood around until he was used as a club is pretty typical, I thought. They slipped up a little having Jones catch the vampire's lack of a reflection while Jake was admiring his image in the shiny door. It's like poor Kim whined until the director relented and let them switch dialogue. But Jones' silly trenchcoat nearly got them killed, which is a reassuring piece of Jonesian incompetence. Consistency in characterization, that's the ticket! 

Wasn't there a hint at the end that Cassandra was somehow predicting the future/reading the nurse's mind/putting thoughts into her head?

• Love 1

Maybe they did it laparoscopically through her nose, behind her eye, or behind her ear. I was mostly joking in my response until I decided to google. It turns out that there is a keyhole brain surgery and minimally invasive endoscopic brain surgery. I don't think this show is smart enough to know that.

Given the glimpse of the MRI scans and description of the tumor, I doubt an endoscopic anterior approach could be used for Cassandra's case.

Most shows whether dramas, comedies, or sci fi never get the medical aspect correctly. For The Librarians, I am chalking everything up to magic. How else can a neurosurgeon have nothing else to do but be on standby? What is truly magical is the neurosurgeon AND OR (operating room) were available for a last minute 6 hour (+) case at the same time!!

• Love 1

I guess I'm not alone on my take on her brain tumor was that it could have been removed, but she believed her special abilities were due to the tumor. I thought I might have retconned myself, given her concern about this in the episode. I like that instead of being the cause, it actually kept her abilities limited. Being able to transmit information telepathically can be a pretty useful tool for a librarian - as well as a weapon.

On 1/9/2017 at 1:37 AM, snuffles said:

The Cassandra crush seemed to come out of nowhere. It would be icky even if she was immortal like Jenkins

I wondered if she could "catch" immortality (or a little bit more life), if she and Jenkins...and thought perhaps that's what drove her sudden interest in him. Or you know, the opposites attract thing-him impossibly full of life, hers running out.

21 hours ago, KirkB said:

As much as I like Noah Wyle I didn't miss Flynn this episode. Weirdly, though, I didn't miss Baird either.

Which is pretty funny, given that they were in the episode, albeit off on a boring little trip of their own.

12 hours ago, Texasmom1970 said:

But I also did not know she was 37 she does look younger, If I had guessed I would have thought she was in her late 20's.

This was the first time I noticed she was older than I thought she was - closeups and HD sometimes reveal a lot.

11 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

Was I the only one who wanted punch Flynn in the face when he commanded Eve to "come" like she was a dog?

Nope, not the only only. Me too.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Eliza422 said:

No. We were recently told that librarians are pretty much expendable, and it's the guardians that are important. That seems like a pretty big retcon (was the cast asking for more money?), but it explains why it's no big deal for Eve to be off having dinner while the others were out facing the big danger of the week.

17 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Wouldn't they shave her head anyway, in case things didn't go to plan and they had to crack open her skull?

12 minutes ago, LoneHaranguer said:

No. We were recently told that librarians are pretty much expendable, and it's the guardians that are important. That seems like a pretty big retcon (was the cast asking for more money?), but it explains why it's no big deal for Eve to be off having dinner while the others were out facing the big danger of the week.

Wouldn't they shave her head anyway, in case things didn't go to plan and they had to crack open her skull?

No we are told Librarians die and Guardians aren't there to save their lives but to protect their souls.  It's the same basic idea as the Buffy universe.  Slayers died.  Didn't mean they weren't important.  Didn't mean they didn't do important work.  They just died.  

Jenkins in a previous episode told Baird that the Librarian before Flynn sucommed to the allure of magic and darkness and such.  He was lost.  And during the "devil" episode the Librarians almost "took one for the team".  That is the kind of circular I'm smarter then you and can think my way out of this logic that makes Librarians suseptacle where Baird just figured a logical out.  

I don't think it was a retcon.  

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Yes, that was a very unrealistic thing on this show about magic artifacts, evil gods and vampires.  Screw it, nobody wanted to shave Lindy Booth's head for the sake of maybe one scene.  Most likely especially Lindy Booth.

• Love 7
37 minutes ago, johntfs said:

Screw it, nobody wanted to shave Lindy Booth's head for the sake of maybe one scene.  Most likely especially Lindy Booth.

That wouldn't have been necessary, but it would have created a continuity issue if the episodes weren't being shot in order and the character's hair was growing back post-surgery.

You know, here's a nasty thought: what if the surgery wasn't what we thought it was.  Apep can use the skills and knowledge of those he possesses.  Perhaps through DoSA Apep was somehow aware of the vampires' experiments and wanted to get to Cassandra before she became a functionally immortal magic-using daywalking vampire Librarian.  Maybe instead of removing the tumor he altered it to aid him in controlling Cassandra or somesuch.

So, Cassandra's tumor wasn't actually what gave her powers, but seem to be hindering them, if anything.  Now, she can not only solve complex problems quicker, she can even plant the answers in other people's minds?  Crazy!

Vampires!  That was a great reveal.  I cracked up over how quickly Jake and Ezekiel were preparing for the worst, and began stocking up on all of the classic vampire weapons: stakes, swords, holy water, etc.  The science over how they were able to be "day walkers" was kind of hinky, but whatever.  It's not like I expect this show to be realistic on any level.

Hope we see Estella again, and not just because the actress was flipping gorgeous.  I noticed that it seemed like she was really into Cassandra, and I'm glad the show confirmed that there was something going on between them.

Jenkins saving the day is a new trend that I heartily approve of!

So, I guess Flynn's little trip with Baird is because he is preparing to sacrifice himself?

• Love 4
21 hours ago, sjohnson said:

Wasn't there a hint at the end that Cassandra was somehow predicting the future/reading the nurse's mind/putting thoughts into her head?

Definitely. I interpreted it as telepathy -- Cassandra could see the nurse's puzzle grid (which was out of her sight), she solved it, and then the nurse repeated the solution. The nurse had previously said it was too hard for her to solve. It also seemed like with all the things floating in the room prior to that, Cassandra may have been keying in to thoughts of others in the room or something like that. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Now, she can not only solve complex problems quicker, she can even plant the answers in other people's minds?

Sounds like she can effectively do a Jedi mind whammy on someone by planting whatever she wants them to think about something.

Edited by LoneHaranguer
On 1/10/2017 at 7:01 PM, ChelseaNH said:

Lindy Booth on the episode: http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-librarians-lindy-booth-on-king-arthur-brain-tumors-1790975968

She had to fight for the outfit of many colors...

So, this bit from the article gives me hope:

We had a great time with wardrobe, like we always do, with this idea of caffeinated Cassandra and her being like “I’m going to wear all of the patterns and all of the colors.” And the first time we showed the producers that outfit, they were like, “I don’t know, it seems like it’s a bit much.” And I was like, “This is where she is right now.” And I really fought for that look because I was like this is where she is, she is on overload, and she is trying to wear all of the colors she can while she’s got time left.

Cassandra's outfits make a bit more sense to me when viewed as a desperate attempt to reflect life or something.  Hopefully, now that the brain grape is gone the hyper-zany ensembles will be as well.  TBH, the outfit in this episode wouldn't have been too bad if it weren't for the extra shirt.  (Maybe I've become desensitized, lol.)  I, too, loved the dress at the end.

On 1/10/2017 at 9:21 PM, thuganomics85 said:

So, I guess Flynn's little trip with Baird is because he is preparing to sacrifice himself?

Ugh, here's hoping!

On 1/9/2017 at 9:54 PM, snarktini said:

I am confident that you didn't miss anything! If a crush has ever been implied, it was beyond subtle. 

It's weird, but I wasn't surprised when she went there.  In fact, my reaction was more like, "Oh, this again!"  Yet, for the life of me, I can't pinpoint a scene where Cassandra being interested in Jenkins was established.  Unfortunately, I don't feel invested enough to go looking for it.

On 1/9/2017 at 9:51 PM, lizzyp said:

The comparison to Leverage is pretty natural because of the shared DNA - that show was what brought many of us to this one, and we were hoping that this one would give us the same richness of characters. [snip]  I'd really like to know how Jones became the world's greatest thief - a few flashbacks, some old friends, references to family - something to help me understand what led them to the Library and how the Library is helping to fill the holes inside them. 

Even when I acknowledge that Leverage has far more episodes (and therefore opportunities for character development), Librarians still falls far short (of, say, where the Leverage characters were near the end of Season 2).  And that's okay; Librarians is fine as a fluffy show.  I recently realized, though, that a big part of my problem with Flynn is that I keep wondering why Eliot hasn't knocked him out yet.  ;-)

I enjoyed the bit of insight we got into Jones during the Cindy episode, when he talked about his reasons for becoming a thief.  I think he feels more rounded to me than the other two "kids" because he actually has had character progression in addition to the showcase episodes.  I hope they continue that with him, and start to develop the others, too.

• Love 6
On 1/10/2017 at 7:44 PM, Chaos Theory said:

Hey I like her outfits.  

I do too.  I thought they reflected the choices of somebody who was emotionally frozen at the age she was diagnosed with a death sentence - in this case 15.  I doubt we've seen the last of the "teen wear" though I hope we get some more adult clothing as well.  Lindy Booth wears it well.

As for the tumor, I still suspect Apep having a hand there.  When we met Cassandra back in "And the Crown of King Arthur" she flatly stated that the tumor was going to kill her and that she didn't get the Library letter because she was in the hospital.  Meanwhile her synesthesia wasn't a "superpower" as much as it was an embarrassing tendency to get lost in math and details to the point she'd almost enter a fugue state.  The choice Cassandra was presented with was "cure the tumor with magic" or "die from it eventually."  "Get surgery to remove it" was never even once indicated as an option, not even as a "there's a really good chance this will kill you" option.

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 5