Type keyword(s) to search

Chopped 2017: That Dish Was Just Offal

ShellSeeker
  • Start Topic

I've been watching this show from the beginning, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I could swear that we've never seen Alex get up and go see what was happening like she did on tonight's episode (healthy cooking).  I was actually kind of shocked by it.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Rammchick said:

I've been watching this show from the beginning, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I could swear that we've never seen Alex get up and go see what was happening like she did on tonight's episode (healthy cooking).  I was actually kind of shocked by it.

I watched the show, but it was kind of backgoundy, so I missed that. That's what she (and the other judges too) does when she's on "Beat Bobby Flay", so maybe she just got confused for a bit LOL.

Edited by GaT
added a word
  • Love 2
On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:16 AM, xaxat said:

One of the sons of famed restaurateur Sirio Maccioni was a competitor. (He currently runs Le Cirque but I'm pretty sure he's not the executive chef there.) The theme was dumplings and he didn't even come close to plating his appetizer. As the clock was running out, he was still wrapping his uncooked dumplings and with seconds to go on the clock he was wandering around looking for plates. And I think he was missing an ingredient on top of all that. Ted did allow him to serve some of his filling, which the judges praised. 

What made it even weirder is that there was no urgency on his part. It was like he didn't even understand the concept of the show.

I'm surprised he even appeared.  (If only because he must have known that Le Cirque was in dire financial straits.)  As you say, he didn't seem to understand the concept.  Was he just going to put out a mire-poix stuffed ravioli?  No sauce? Where were the basket ingredients?

I couldn't believe how sycophantic the judges were about the filling.  Ugh.

On 2/21/2018 at 7:58 PM, Rammchick said:

The only other time I can think of it happening was during the Alton Brown specials. I didn't like it then and don't like it now. Judges should not be directly interacting with competitors during the competition. 

• Love 3
On 2/21/2018 at 7:58 PM, Rammchick said:

Well, I was watching the show the other day, & Amanda Freitag did the same thing, so maybe this is a new thing they're going to do to "freshen" the show.

• Love 1

I had the same thought.  It's like they're copying BBF - where I don't like it either.  I especially don't like it on Chopped because those chefs are already under the gun from the competition and the time constraints and trying to be polite to someone who is going to judge you is just added and unnecessary pressure.

• Love 3

They really should stop showing the contestants taking items out the baskets in the intro clip. This episode showed the two women chefs holding items from the dessert round, the gummy worm, and the entree round, the mashed potato cake.

• Love 2

I'm watching a rerun from last autumn - Feel the Burn.  Feeding right into a pet peeve, the judges were the only ones who pronounced horseradish correctly.  Even Ted Allen got it wrong.  Read the word people, it's horse + radish, not horsh + radish.  It's not rocket science, nor is it in a foreign language.

• Love 1
On 1/4/2017 at 11:28 PM, HunterHunted said:

Speaking of awful, I watched the healthy food episode featuring Adam Kenworthy, boyfriend of Real Housewife of New York, Carole Radziwill. It was terrible. The only chefs with personality were the two female chefs who were eliminated first and second. None of the chefs made anything remotely interesting. They basically made dishes that were barely better than a home cook. I don't know that I've ever watched an episode and been so bored.

Just caught this on a rerun, and, wow. The most boring episode. The men had no personality. They both had monotone voices.

Chef Rick must have a combo of making good money, and traveling cheaply if he's able to dedicate 4-6 hours/day to exercise, and travel 5-6 months out of the year. His Instagram shows that he does have/do a lot of upper-class/high-end clients/events. https://www.instagram.com/edenopolis

Comedy gold! Brandon from the sweetbreads ep—wants a Michelin star and a Beard award. He says this is a great start to getting there. That’s not any of that works, dude.

Hoping whatever will save him from inedible undercooked sweetbreads? 😂