Type keyword(s) to search

Chopped 2017: That Dish Was Just Offal

ShellSeeker
  • Start Topic

8 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

Megan, the blonde who made it into the grilling finals, will be on Today tomorrow during the 8 am hour. And I think she mentioned she's going to be on Hell's Kitchen (next time, after the returnees).

What a coincidence.  The most recent episode had a former HK contestant on it.  In the last food truck episode, the chef chopped in the dessert round, Hassan Musselmani, was actually on season fifteen of the show.  He was eliminated eighth, much to the shock of many, many, many fans, as he was thought to be the frontrunner of that season.

• Love 1

I just watched the first Alton challenge show & boy, Alton is seriously annoying. Why did he keep walking up to the contestants & commenting on what they were doing? He supposed to be judging, not doing Ted's job.

• Love 5

I had been getting Chopped out and was thrilled to see Alton liven things up.  It's like the judges' opinion that a dish could use more acid.

I thought Jessica's dessert was more appealing than Red Beard's, but what do I know?

Anybody here use a stovetop smoker?  Opinions?

3 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Anybody here use a stovetop smoker?  Opinions?

I have one, but haven’t used it in a while. It’s nice to be able to quickly infuse some smoke into the food, but the kitchen ends up smelling like you’ve had a campfire going. 

1 hour ago, wings707 said:

What show is this that Alton is on?  The regular Chopped?  I got burned out on it and haven't watched in awhile.  

Yes - they're running a five-week tournament with Alton doing his sciency-thing as a basket requirement.  Like smoke on the first episode.  Like you, I was finding the show tedious lately, but Alton as a judge is a hoot.

Just now, spiderpig said:

Yes - they're running a five-week tournament with Alton doing his sciency-thing as a basket requirement.  Like smoke on the first episode.  Like you, I was finding the show tedious lately, but Alton as a judge is a hoot.

So this will show up on my DVR if I enter Chopped? 

Just now, spiderpig said:

It should, as the most recent Chopped episode.  Original airing is 10/10/17 and the subtitle is "Alton's Challenge".  

I found it. I like Alton and miss him on Food Network Star or whatever competition show he was on.  Tyler Florence is a dud.  

Just now, wings707 said:

I found it. I like Alton and miss him on Food Network Star or whatever competition show he was on.  Tyler Florence is a dud.  

Alton's a riot.  Like in Good Eats he goes into all his technical jargon, and when it comes to judging he goes into serious critical analysis and then says "but I like it".  :-)

• Love 3

I wonder which was filmed first, Chopped or the new Iron Chef.  He looked good last night with hair and a very short beard.  In the previews for Iron Chef, he has his head shaved and looks absolutely hideous.  I hope that isn't a permanent new "style" because I can hardly stand to look at him.

2 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

Didn’t Alton get divorced a couple of years ago? That will cause a man to mess with his hair, face, waistline, etc. LOL

But wouldn't Our Alton just say:

"Oh, bother!!!"

(I love it when he does that.)

• Love 2

Anyone ever wonder how many of these cheftestants actually wanted to be in a tournament?  I suspect a lot of them would have been happier just competing in a one-off for $10K, than having to run a gauntlet where you might actually win a competition but earn nothing.  Cheap-ass FN should offer an interim prize for winning the beginning round. 

I miss Alton on Good Eats but not so much anything else.  He's allowed himself to morph from a quirky adorkable nerd to a cranky pedantic professional grouch. 

Wanted to take all three--Alton, Maneet, and Hughnibrow--and bang their heads together.  I liked Maneet when she competed on TNIC but her biggest contribution to Chopped is to complain and moan about minutiae, and I've never been convinced, especially seeing her on Chopped After Hours, that she could do much better than the people she judges.  And Hugh has worked his second chance on TCM way past his allotted 15 minutes. 

• Love 3

After someone here pointed out Maneet's inability to give a compliment without following up with a criticism of some kind it's been driving me crazy. I probably would have noticed on my own though. I only started watching regularly this past Summer and am already on burnout from it. I've watched it too much when it's been on. I''m going to DVR Alton's first episode next time it reruns and see if I want to continue with the rest of them after I watch. What I've seen him on outside of Good Eats in the past few years has made him seem like he can be a real moody ass and doesn't try to hide it anymore.

• Love 3

In general, I like Alton. Huge fan of Good Eats and some of his other programming, but I really thought he should've stayed in the judges' chair during the competition. Plus, he was borderline meddling with the "fairness" of the contest with hinting about things people were doing wrong. At least Ted just sticks to the basics like "Have you worked with this before?" or "Where are you going with this?" so that bothered me. 

It seemed Maneet was extra nasty/nitpicky this episode, and I didn't really care for Who??Hugh. I'll keep watching, just to see what other angles they come up with, but they've got to switch up the judges or I'm gonna really hate it. 

Agree that they should still win the 10K for winning their ep, then maybe an extra 40K for winning the whole shebang to make it 50. Sucks that everyone else who wins their show has a 1/4 chance to get money but these folks have a 1/16 and have to compete twice! Oh well I guess I should just be happy that we at least still have some show that features real chefs cooking with interesting ingredients. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, wings707 said:

I have Chopped on my DVR but it isn't recording the ones with Alton!  This Genie set up I have with DIRECTV makes me nuts.  

Can you go through the Directv guide and record each show individually? You may be able to do it through the guide on their website too. I do that with U-verse at times. Looking at Directv's online guide it looks like it works the same way.

https://www.directv.com/guide?lpos=Header:1

Just now, Jaded said:

Can you go through the Directv guide and record each show individually? You may be able to do it through the guide on their website too. I do that with U-verse at times. Looking at Directv's online guide it looks like it works the same way.

https://www.directv.com/guide?lpos=Header:1

It does and I just did that.  It is more complicated than you describe though.  I am going back to the more simple DIRECTV seperate DVRS for each TV.  There is no confusion there.  

3 minutes ago, wings707 said:

It does and I just did that.  It is more complicated than you describe though.  I am going back to the more simple DIRECTV seperate DVRS for each TV.  There is no confusion there.  

I don't blame you. AT&T keeps trying to get me to give up U-verse for Direcv and I keep telling them nooooooo. There's only one DVR and wireless boxes for other rooms but recording and etc. seems to work better then what I've seen with Directv. 

I've softened towards Alton again this past week someone elsewhere mentioned his kittens on Instagram. Apparently a few appeared at his office or home office in ATL from under the deck and he kept two naming them Shrimp Toast and Stir Fry.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Jaded said:

I don't blame you. AT&T keeps trying to get me to give up U-verse for Direcv and I keep telling them nooooooo. There's only one DVR and wireless boxes for other rooms but recording and etc. seems to work better then what I've seen with Directv. 

DIRECTV is excellent.  I just don't like the new upgrade I got.  Their Genie has this same thing.  One box, wireless boxes in every room.  I am going to call them and ask what the fuck I am doing wrong.  It must be me. 

2 hours ago, susannot said:
  • Any person that adopts stray or feral kitties is a hero IMO.

I agree and dogs, too.  

On 10/11/2017 at 4:04 PM, Maverick said:

Alton is a dick.

I am not going to disagree.  I like him on a show because he brings something totally different to the table. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, susannot said:
  • Any person that adopts stray or feral kitties is a hero IMO.

Why thank you! I'll go get my cape and put it on. All my kitties have been rescues, our current showed up on the back deck 3 years ago. Took awhile to build trust, and once I saw she's been declawed (front and back - who does that!), I knew she had to come inside (as she's curled up beside me snoozing away).

I follow Alton on Instagram and his pictures of the kitties are adorable.

• Love 3
Just now, chessiegal said:

Why thank you! I'll go get my cape and put it on. All my kitties have been rescues, our current showed up on the back deck 3 years ago. Took awhile to build trust, and once I saw she's been declawed (front and back - who does that!), I knew she had to come inside (as she's curled up beside me snoozing away).

I follow Alton on Instagram and his pictures of the kitties are adorable.

Me too.  All of our kitties have just shown up in our back yard.  They have all been beautiful black kitties who are the last to be rescued for some reason.  I love them.

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, susannot said:

Me too.  All of our kitties have just shown up in our back yard.  They have all been beautiful black kitties who are the last to be rescued for some reason.  I love them.

We fed a feral cat for about five years, but he never let us near him.  Peering in through the patio window, so we called him Pervert.  After a couple of years he showed up with his tail missing.  Then he brought a little grey tabby friend who marched right through the patio doors and into our lives.  She was about three months old according to the vet.  We had her for 13 years.  Then Perv just didn't show up for dinner anymore.

Hey, mods - this is not off-topic if you're an animal person.

• Love 5

Just finished the dehydration ep, and 3 of the 4 contestants were from my home town of Cleveland.  This being Cleveland, the Mississippi guy won.  Oh, well - we still have the Browns. (wince)

Cleveland, with all its reputation for being the butt of jokes, has a really happening restaurant scene.  The Greenhouse, where Vinnie (guy with beard), is executive chef is really innovative in farm-to-table cuisine.  Ben (who got to dessert round) has an interesting menu at Spice Kitchen and Bar.

Personally, I thought farm-to-table chefs (two of the Cleveland guys plus the personal chef) were hampered by the dehydrated stuff they were forced to cook with.  I wasn't tempted by anything anybody made.  It seemed a case of how you could take these blah ingredients and make them less yukky.  I wonder how the chefs would have fared had they been in the smoker episode last week.

• Love 1

I can't picture any of them ^^^^ at this point but I did enjoy the episode.  Alton was a bit less annoying than he'd been on the first one.

My DVR picked up a new episode of Chopped last night.  When did they start airing new shows on Thursday?

On 10/10/2017 at 11:22 PM, GaT said:

Why did he keep walking up to the contestants & commenting on what they were doing? He supposed to be judging, not doing Ted's job.

On 10/13/2017 at 2:40 PM, neenyah said:

Plus, he was borderline meddling with the "fairness" of the contest with hinting about things people were doing wrong.

Yeah, I agree. As a judge, I don't like or feel it is appropriate for him to interact with the contestants while they are competing. If he wanted to do that, they should have had him either co host with or take over for Ted during this tournament. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, awaken said:

Chef airis seemed like a beautiful person; someone I'd love to get to know!  Lovely accent as well- was she from Louisiana?

I was glad she won as well.  Chef Hatfield was just a little too full of himself.  I started FFing through the intros years ago so I don't know where Airis was from.

• Love 2

I agree they telegraphed the winner once he mentioned his brain tumor, but it was still nice to get back to a regular Chopped format with four chefs competing with random basket ingredients.  The only themed show I like is Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner, because I get so bored with the dessert round.

• Love 1

Watching last night's episode and have to post that people who pronounce mutton as ,"mu'un" get on my last nerve. I know it's regional but it still annoys me. I used to work with a woman who referred to the closure on her clothes as bu'uns and that drove me a bit nuts, too. It's called a consonant, people!

• Love 2