Type keyword(s) to search

Star - General Discussion

Primetimer
  • Start Topic

41 minutes ago, FlyHighSky said:

Speaking of Star, she jumped right back into being her stubborn, bossy, and controlling self. I’m glad Alex and especially Simone checked her. Star’s ego is out of control. Instead of accepting help, she really thought she could jump back in and take over the reigns and that the group really couldn’t function without her.

Star is ironically an unimportant character and her absence has only proven it further. The actress' real-life pregnancy kinda forced the writers to give Star too much responsibility, too soon. She's still acting like the brash and annoying shit starter, only this time she's got a baby strapped to her chest. The music industry is tough and fleeting even for young and talented people. If Star was truly trying to be a good mother, she would try to get a job that's more stable than being a singer.

58 minutes ago, FlyHighSky said:

Noah... *sigh* Again, realistic portrayal of how hard it is for addicts to get AND stay clean but In this particular instance I want the TV version where Noah is magically cured. Simone spent most of season 1 and 2a high as a kite and now you would think she never touched a drug in her life. Also, I get that Noah effed up royally, but to not let Noah see his son even with supervision is going too far.

Dang, I actually forgot about Simone being a drug addict and even an alcoholic. The writers didn't even acknowledge her withdrawal and recovery. Where the does she get off acting high and mighty? Both her and Star need to stop acting like their s**t doesn't stink.

• Love 3

Why does this show insist on wasting Cotton?

I get that they want to highlight issues that Black trans women experience, but Cotton can't be a walking PSA for all of them.

At some point the show has got to stop having her jump from plot point to plot point with little to no character development and focus on the huge changes that have happened to her in the last year.

She's been in prison, dealt with an abusive relationship, had her true love murdered, was almost killed herself, reconnected with her bio Dad, experienced her bio Dad's death, learned her auntie murdered her bio Dad, found out she was a parent, found out her son had a life threatening illness, and had her son kidnapped by her auntie's psycho ex.

That's enough material for 10 shows, let alone 1.

• Love 3

I know they need to have conflict, but this show is getting so frustrating because no one (except maybe Carlotta) ever learns anything from their experiences, and they all appear doomed to just repeat their mistakes over and over. 

It is admirable that Cotton wants to help the women because she has been there, but she needs to prioritize her well-being and that of her son (though Jayden seems to have gone MIA for the convenience of the plot).  And I really don't understand how having them still turn tricks, still be tied to Leon but with her now stuck in the middle of it is going to help anyone.  She really lost me with that one.  She should just have Cassie or other shady family members deal with Leon, though I suppose another pimp would just move in and take his place.  Anyway, this will all end badly.

The one thing I will give Star credit for (and it's very, very small) is that she managed not to rush the stage when Simone and Alex were performing.  I was holding my breath the whole time, and I think the real reason Carlotta came backstage was that she was thinking the same thing and was prepared to tackle Star if she tried!  That moment was probably an attempt to try to make it look like Star had grown, so that we'd think she might let Noah see Davis (with her supervision) at the end.  I knew she wouldn't.  Because it's not like there could ever be even a glimmer of hope from the show, especially at the end of an episode.  I hope that instead of using again, he will see this as motivation to get himself together (possibly with rehab), then hire a lawyer like Alex suggested to pursue his legal rights.  If there is a battle for custody, I wouldn't be surprised if Alex's casual mention of hiring a lawyer will come up and be used to create another rift in the group.  I think Simone might have been a little more sympathetic about Noah's relapse if it hadn't almost had tragic consequences for Davis.  She seemed concerned for Noah until the fire, and I think that she was drawing on her own addiction issues and seeing the potential danger for him being around pills, even though it didn't seem that hard for her to get clean only because of the writers just dropping it after awhile.  But she just snapped and started flashing back to her childhood after Davis was at risk, and now doesn't believe anything can ever be different than it was with her mother (even though Simone herself has gotten clean!).

Star will probably try to change Davis's last name, and not care if it makes him "Davis Davis."  If that does happen, maybe Miss Bruce can make some cracks about it and bring some levity back to the show.  I think they were attempting to lighten the mood when that singer girl was calling Take 3 old and stuff, but it was just annoying.

• Love 1

Lawd...where to start...

1. I’m not going to go on my usual Alex/Derek rant but I have a couple of quibbles. I believe Alex loves Derek but can the writers at least try to make us believe he’s more than just a safety net for her? On other shows, even when I don’t like certain couples, it still makes sense about why they are together; you can still see some fire and passion. All Dalex gives me is ‘meh’.

2. Cotton is now a cold blooded murderer ....WHAT?!

3. Star is the literal WORST!!! I’m more than annoyed, I’m disgusted. She is so selfish! She rode Alex all last season, accusing her of looking out for only herself when everything Alex did was for the group; then at the FIRST  opportunity, Star bailed and went on tour solo. And now that Alex bided her time, didn’t step on anyone’s neck, or release a diss track, Star wants the group back together just to save her own neck. I will give Alex props for bailing her out (when we all know Star would not have done the same), but I really wish Alex would have stood her ground and let Star reap what she sowed. And exactly HOW does she plan on giving the baby up for adoption without Noah giving permission? Wouldn’t she have to take him to court and prove he is unfit? UGH!

4. Speaking of Alex in general, I don’t mind seeing the softer side of her, but that doesn’t mean she had to lose her backbone. Alex was so fierce last season. Now she’s a pushover. At first I let it slide because of all the trauma she endured, but now it’s just plain ridiculous.

5. As  usual, the writers  took the cheap and unsatisfying short cut by mentioning in passing that Cassie asked her permission to date Maurice.  They are forever building tension in certain situations but never giving the audience a good pay off. That being said, I do like Maurice and Cassie  as a couple so hopefully they can still keep them interesting to watch now that they’re just flat out together.

6. The anger Carlotta had towards Cassie and Rashad was just so random to me. They tried to have Cassie explain it in a throwaway line about Rashad reminding her of Calvin’s side of the family but still. And you would’ve thought that Cassie and Carlotta never made up. I’ve suspected since day one that Rashad is Carlotta’s son. We’ll see.

7. Could care less about Mateo, Giselle, or the fate of Gravity Records. But what was the point of showing him cheating?

8. Didn’t really care about Angel or Simone this week either. Much like Dalex, the Sangel magic has been missing for a long time now.

• Love 3

When Alex suddenly stopped just before they were going to get married, it looked like she was about to have another panic attack, and I thought she was going to say she wasn't ready for marriage (even though she proposed and they hadn't had any hints of her wanting to back out).  When she said she needed her girls, I thought they might as well have had her say, "We can't do this now because we need a big event to build the finale around and then have turn  into a disaster."

I actually had some hope for a swift and non-stupid end to Cotton's storyline when she got caught by Cassie, but nope.  It's too bad Cassie didn't rat her out to Carlotta.  It would have been one thing for her to shoot Leon ONCE because she was protecting Dior in the scramble for Leon's gun.  Or if she was going to kill someone for threatening her son, why didn't she take out Xander, the guy who actually kidnapped Jayden when she had the chance?  Maybe because she didn't want to do that in front of Jayden.  But she was so concerned that Cassie turn away from crime (not that this has completely happened), and that scene last year where she refused to go through with killing Omari was supposed to show that she wouldn't take it there.  Now she'll probably keep everything a secret when she could use Cassie's help in getting away with murders the way Cassie typically does.  But it's sad either way, and this show has come a long way from season 1 when they went with the cop-out of Otis's wife killing him so that they wouldn't have to have one of the main characters be a murderer (even though he deserved it).  I remember when I thought Alex was the one who killed Otis for some reason.

Alex certainly would have been in the right if she hadn't bailed out Star like that, but I think she tends to feel a general guilt about things that are not her fault, such as when she had to be so nice to Olivia and look the other way about O's clearly psychotic tendencies because Alex felt bad about surviving the plane crash.  It's probably something unfortunately instilled in her by her mother since childhood.  I thought she was going to go to therapy with her mom or something, but I don't know if they dropped that or I just misunderstood.  This seemed a very lazy way for Take 3's inevitable reunion, rather than letting it happen organically after Alex's career maybe cooled a little and she needed a way for some buzz.

Star said something about how she'd "find a family" for Davis, so I wouldn't be surprised if she thinks she can just bypass the legal system and adoption process altogether and just hand him off to someone she has a good feeling about.  I know they showed her looking pensive a couple of times, but even if she were doing this legally, I don't think she's really put as much thought into her decision as someone really would.  Noah seems to be doing everything he can to get himself together and hopefully provide Davis with something resembling a functional life (at least for this episode), but even suing might not help if Star is just going to hand the baby off in the dead of night, which I can totally see her doing.  I hope they won't settle on adoption just because they don't feel like writing storylines with a kid in them.

It does make sense that Rashad would turn out to be Carlotta's son, and maybe she knows this?  She would have had to lie about the baby dying, but maybe that was just to keep Cassie from finding out the truth and throwing the family into further disarray.  I did like the eyeroll Carlotta gave when Cassie and Maurice were being cutesy, but otherwise it is too bad that another potentially interesting scene (Cassie telling Carlotta or her catching them) never exists for some reason.

I guess they wanted the Empire crossover to try to help the ratings, but the purchase was never gonna happen because it would have just been too much like the Ayanna storyline last year with a skeptical woman trying to boss Carlotta and the artists around.  And for me to care about Mateo cheating on his girlfriend (like this is new, given his treatment of his wife), I'd have to be able to remember her name.  They showed it on his phone, but I forgot already.

Regardless of what Angel says, I don't think Simone's rant had anything to do with her career; she was just pissed.  I hope he isn't dead, but if he is, she seems to be dealing with it rather well, based on the previews.  If he is, that's just stupid, because they were already divorcing and the storyline could have ended that way, so he didn't need to come back for this.

• Love 2

It didn't seem to me that Angel had enough time to get to the car.  It seemed it blew the second he deactivated the alarm remotely.  Probably just another fake out and "cliffhanger".

• Love 1

Um... where did the savage Ice Queen Alex go?  This season's Alex is a little too soft for my liking. Alex could've gone a little harder on Star considering all the effed up stuff she's done to her. She's being far more understanding than I would have.

I hoped that having a kid and being in a coma would've knocked some sense into Star, but I guess I was hoping for too much from this show. Star's selfishness knows no bounds! I can't even feel sorry for her because she's only trying to save her own neck. I don't even wanna imagine how she'd act if the shoe was on the other foot. Giving up baby Davis is probably for the best...even though it'd be a total cop-out. Considering adoption without talking to Noah first is trifling as hell.

I would've never guessed political activism as a storyline for Simone. So yeah...that's a thing. Also, Angel's "death" sequence was laughable, which I know wasn't the intention. Who gets into a car that fast, though?

I just love how the writers completely glossed over the building tension over Cassie and Marcus' relationship. 

Welp, Cotton's a killer now. That came waaaay too easy for her.

• Love 2

How has Carlotta not had one conversation with either Alex or Star about dealing with their recent trauma re: using her recent breakdown as a prime example?

She's had enough time to play nice with Cassie (who has killed her husband, gotten her grandson kidnapped & is dating her ex), counsel Simone on praying & how to handle the whole Noah/Davis/Star fiasco, and made Gravity Records financially viable again.

And I still don't understand how a show that has written Bruce so wonderfully could drop the ball with Cotton so horribly. Amiyah is a solid actress who deserves a strong character arc instead of bullet-point storytelling. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Dee said:

How has Carlotta not had one conversation with either Alex or Star about dealing with their recent trauma re: using her recent breakdown as a prime example?

She's had enough time to play nice with Cassie (who has killed her husband, gotten her grandson kidnapped & is dating her ex), counsel Simone on praying & how to handle the whole Noah/Davis/Star fiasco, and made Gravity Records financially viable again.

And I still don't understand how a show that has written Bruce so wonderfully could drop the ball with Cotton so horribly. Amiyah is a solid actress who deserves a strong character arc instead of bullet-point storytelling. 

I think it's a bad case of too many characters. It kinda reminds of TVD when they would give some semblance of a storyline to certain characters for a little while and then banish them back to irrelevancy. 

(edited)

I’m tired of the show trying to rewrite history (Dalex being great communicators, Star acting like Jackson didn’t have a reason to leave, Jackson acting like he didn’t leave (though he had a good reason to), Stoah being exes and Nalex being a fling when it was vice versa, etc); or addressing a long ago topic with one line (ex: Alex’s abortion), when it was never properly addressed to begin with. 

Random thoughts about tonight:

1. It was never established how/when Alex got her car but I assumed she bought it with money she made from her modeling contract.

2. Even though Alex’s wealthy background has been mentioned constantly, didn’t she give back all her credit cards back in S01E02? Again, I assumed that maybe she got money from her mother sometimes  before they fell out. But has she been dipping into the family money this whole time?

3. Exactly, how much money do the girls have? If Star can afford that loft ( even though she stays acting like she still broke) based off the royalties of ‘There for you’, shouldn’t Alex’s bank account be bigger since she writes ALL of Take 3’s songs and had/has a modeling contract? So again, why would she still be dipping into the family trust especially when she’s been trying to separate herself from her parents?

4. Cotton was literally on screen for 10 seconds the whole episode.

5. For once, Star didn’t steal Alex’s part out of jealousy, but it was still mad disrespectful. Why couldn’t Star jump in on Simone’s part for the sake of balance?

6. I’m not an ageist by any means. As long as I find a couple interesting, I don’t mind seeing intimacy no matter how old they are. But on a show filled with younger cast members that literally have a fan base full of various ships for their characters, why has the show chosen Carlotta as the one with all of the ‘hot’ scenes? I was frankly a little uncomfortable watching it and I didn’t buy it.

7. Postpartum or not, Star is being selfish. I believe she wants better for her kid, but not at the expense of giving up her career.

8. Simone proving once again how young and naive she can still be. I can understand not running and hiding but she is asking for trouble by speaking so recklessly. Also, she needs to be more considerate of Angel’s feelings and how the bombing affected him.

9. Liked the Take 3 performance. I must admit, I’ve missed their performances together. Something special happens when all three of them perform (that’s the only props Star is getting from me tonight).

10. Things don’t look good for Angel or Cassie in the season finale. I would say that means they are safe and someone else will die, but then again Noah being Star’s baby daddy was too obvious and that’s exactly what we got. I wonder who is shooting up the wedding and why. It looks gang related which makes  me think either Cotton pissed off the wrong people by killing Leon (?) or the Bankhead crew is retaliating against Derek.

11. At this point, don’t know if I want Star to be canceled or renewed. However, if they do get a season 4, they need new writers ASAP. While the first two seasons still had their weaknesses, they were more cohesive and a bit more grounded in reality. Season 3 has literally been like watching a telenovela on crack, where storylines change or get left hanging for no reason, and the writers don’t even bother to check what they wrote in previous episodes to keep the narrative consistent.

Edited by FlyHighSky
  • Love 2

The characters acting the most realistically in this episode were probably Rashad and Angel.  I know that Carlotta wanted Rashad to know the truth, but he seemed like he had a pretty good life and this will understandably tear him to pieces.  I hope that he and Carlotta can come together and find peace, but on this show, good luck.  And Angel seemed to be the only one freaked out that he almost got killed by a car bomb.  I guess with the things that happen on this show, it's just another day for them.  I thought they could have had him be upset with Simone for repeatedly making things worse and putting them both in danger without this crap about how it's all about her wanting to be more famous.  It might have made more sense if they tied it in to her not getting to do the movie because Nina left, but they haven't, and the throwaway line about that awhile ago made it sound like she chose to drop the movie because she wanted to help Angel.

I think I vaguely remember Alex returning her credit cards, but I wasn't paying much attention yet back when I watched that episode.  I think this show has changed showrunners three times or so, so it's very likely that the writers have forgotten or are deliberately ignoring things that happened in season one.  I don't know if they list writers on episode pages for IMDb, but I might have to look.  (There are other episode guide sites, but the main one I will not even mention by name because they banned me and took all my guides sometime last decade without even letting me respond to accusations of "point cheating" or whatever, then called me a liar and a cheat when I pleaded through a third party.)  But wasn't Alex supposed to try to meet with her father to deal with their issues at one point?  They instead had her get in a plane crash because it was sweeps.

I wonder if Cotton watching Davis and holding him for her ten seconds on screen was supposed to be a nod to her friendship with Star, which has evaporated this season.  They never had a lot of scenes together, but I always thought it was good for both characters (and Star needs all the help she can get in terms of looking sympathetic).  Both the actresses liked their scenes too.

I didn't see any signs of post-partum in Star until Dianne's comments to Noah, mainly because Star is just acting the exact same way she always does.  I know Dianne was supposed to seem sinister when she confronted Star, but I was happy to see someone stand up to her and not back down, which doesn't happen very often.  Ryan Destiny suggested that Star could have at least shown off her temporarily recovered voice by singing on the hooks, not stealing from Alex as usual.  The whole thing with the nurse was stupid and implausible, especially with no mention of Miss Bruce getting busted for giving out illegal shots last season.

I sort of low-key shipped Carlotta and Jahil, but I didn't have a problem with her scenes with Maurice or the pastor who was horrible to Cotton.  But when she hooked up with Randall without even knowing his name or anything about him, all I could think was that she shouldn't be doing that when she knows her son is alive and doesn't know who he is.  I told myself that there was NO WAY such a horrible thing would get the green light from enough people to make it to air, but just the thought of it left me disgusted long after that episode, and I was relieved when it became clear Rashad was her son.  (But I guess she was just being pushy last week since she didn't know the truth yet.) 

I'm wondering if the job offer to Carlotta is just another plot point or a way to write Queen Latifah off the show if she wants to leave.  If she does, I probably wouldn't care if the show got cancelled because I started watching (and hung in the first few shows) for her, and so many things are becoming a mess.

The thing about FOX promos is that, from Melrose Place to That '70s Show to Pitch, they have a knack for giving away major plot twists.  Like I would think "Oh, they wouldn't give that away in a commercial.  There must be a twist."  And it turns out that they DID give everything away in the commercial.  They're the worst.

Spoiler

It looks like the finale, based on the promo, is going down exactly the same as the Dynasty Moldavian Massacre that I think I referenced a few weeks ago.  How lazy, even if they do want to thin out the cast.  It was bad enough for a plot like this in the '80s when people weren't getting shot constantly in reality, but I guess they just want to be a full-on soap now.  I was confused because it looked like Leon was doing the shooting in the brief clip.  But who knows?  At this rate, it could be Leon, Xander, Charlene, the gang members and Roland Crane all teaming up for revenge!  Or they all just happen to show up separately with the same idea.

• Love 3

The skin tone discrepancies between baby Simone and adult Simone in the beginning scene are laughable. How hard is it to cast someone who looks like the actress?

It's pretty obvious that Star's damaged from her tumultuous childhood but giving up her baby when he has a father trying to be in his life is just cruel. Also, her freaking privilege knows no bounds. Tossing her boob milk tissue at the nurse and then waltzing over to try and give herself the shot made my head hurt from rolling to the back of my head. Everything always works out for her no matter how bitchy she acts.

Having Alex secretly relying on her family's money seems dumb when she's a famous up and coming singer with several popular songs and modeling gigs. 

I might be stupid but I honestly didn't see Rashad being Carlotta's son coming. He looks way too old to be her son, though. They look the same freaking age. To put it lightly....he looks like he's had a hard, hard life. All I have to say is: DNA test!

I loved the duet with Carlotta and Cassie even though it's a little depressing.

It's funny how quickly Simone's "acting career" ended, but being a political icon and calling out the very people who tried to kill her and her fiance is so freaking dumb. She doesn't act like someone who's had a hard life of struggling.

Star interrupting Alex for the 120,85,045th time is just as annoying as it's always been. If she's going to be the "spotlight stealer", she needs to be better at dancing because she's struggling just as much as the first season. You shouldn't look like your in pain or counting out moves in your head this far into the show.

I'm just waiting for things with Carlotta's new boo to get screwed up somehow because the writers can't stand. to. see. her. happy.

It seems weird that Noah's mom is trying to be a mother so late into his life. It's even weirder to see Kimberly Elise acting psycho, but I loved seeing her put Star in her place. It needs to happen more often.

It's starting to feel like Star is circling the drain towards cancellation. Oh no, a wedding where something bad happens in a tv show! Who could've ever seen that coming?

• Love 4
10 hours ago, AsiagoSauce said:

Wait, Cotton was in this episode? Holy crap, I don't even remember.

She was holding baby Davis while Carlotta talked to Star just after they had returned to the house.

I was trying to remember if Star and Cotton had interacted at any other time this season (not that this last scene really counts as interaction).  I think that Cotton advised Star in the season premiere on including the baby's father in the child's life because Cotton didn't know about Jayden for so long.  And Star listened, for the time being.

• Love 2
(edited)

Wow a Bloody finale, almost pure Soap Opera and those disgusting POS Assholes pumping a Grandma full of lead cause she killed a POS who Raped her! So by this Espisode are we supposed to think Derek's Grandma, Angel, Cassie and William Levy's character(forgetting his name) are Dead? Along with a Kidnapped Baby? The only one I can think of who kidnapped the baby is Noah's Mom

Edited by jay741982
  • Love 3

First of all.....RUBBBBYYYYY!!!!! I'm crying on the inside!!!!

Sorry, trying to compose myself. Let me see if I can get through this....

Just once, I would like this show to pick a couple of storylines and flesh them out to their full potential instead of giving us 100 storylines at once, most of which will never be resolved. That being said, I enjoyed the finale for the hot mess that it was. I'm almost (ALMOST) ashamed to admit it, but when things don't go my way, I find mild enjoyment seeing the other side of the aisle living in misery too. I guess misery does love company. Unless you're a Dalex fan (and even they have a few issues to work through), everybody's ship is virtually nonexistent right now. Things that stood out to me the most tonight:

1. The show has a selective memory (Ryan Destiny's actual words on twitter) and completely decided to ignore the 'So Sick' nomination.

2. So is Xander dead or not?

3. Did no one realize Ruby (I still can't believe they took her out like that!!!) never made it to the wedding?

4. I really can't stand the way the writers write Derek. He always has to be Mr. Perfect, which is not realistic in the real world or on a show filled with so many other flawed characters. Even when he fucks up, he's still the innocent one. I guess technically he was 'raped' by Olivia but really? He was so drunk he couldn't tell that the woman he was actually about to marry wasn't kissing him and doing other things with her mouth on him? That should be instinctive, just my two cents. Also, good intentions or not, it is ABSOLUTELY his dumbass fault his wedding got shot up.

5. Speaking of Olivia, why didn't anyone know she was getting out of jail? At the wedding, why did they just let her walk away? What else does she have planned?

6. I knew Derek's Bankhead shenanigans were going to come back and bite him in the ass. I don't think he got shot at the wedding, but if we get a season 4, how is he supposed to survive a whole ass gang hunting him down? If one crew member dies or goes to jail, they'll be another one to take his place. Derek is marked for death unless the writers do what they've done all season and drop a storyline when it becomes inconvenient.

7. I think its safe to say, that's the end of Mateo. His character wasn't really relevant or interesting this season. It looks like Cassie and Angel are dead too, but I can see them miraculously surviving if Star gets renewed.

8. I could care less about Star and Jackson but I kind of liked them this episode. But I also feel he's too good for her. Still, I'd rather she be with Jackson than Noah. I thought they had finally stopped teasing that relationship until the very end of the episode when they went to go get Davis. Noah will or has forgiven her, but for Star get his parental rights terminated...that was low even for her. And I have a feeling that once Davis is found, they both will have a hard time turning over the court's decision and keeping Davis from getting adopted.

9. If Angel does die, I wonder if Simone will wind up pregnant from the broken condom.

10. I wonder how Alex will react once she learns that Olivia wasn't lying about being with Derek. Will she ignore it because she knows Olivia is crazy and Derek would never cheat on her intentionally? Or will she feel betrayed and that Derek subconsciously wanted to get back at her? Should be interesting.

11. Who wants to take bets on Noah's mom being the one who stole the baby? I must admit at first I had no idea, but I saw a comment on twitter about Noah's mom and immediately I thought …."YESSSSS"!!!

Here's hoping for a season 4 so we can get our hopes up about these cliffhangers being resolved, only to be disappointed when they jump ahead two years with no flashbacks, LOL! Oh, and excuse some of my language in this post.

• Love 3

During the first commercial break, I flipped over to another channel to check a final score, and the cable box first froze up and then went totally bonkers and started flashing and turned off, so I had to go to another TV for the next segment.  Then it came back on, but I thought it was funny that it was trying to protect me from the episode!

What was with the scene where Take 3 is sitting in the theater alone and then they cut to "72 hours earlier"?  Was that supposed to be them dealing with the aftermath of the shooting and Davis's kidnapping?  Did they forget that they were supposed to go back to that at some point?  Maybe it was just so no one would worry that those three wouldn't survive or something. 

I thought it was obvious that Lil Dini was lying when he said Take 3 had won the ASA, so the whole thing made me roll my eyes.  I'm glad they actually won, even though the explanation was kind of lame.

As disgusting as Ruby's murder and everything that followed was, I think I was most nauseated about the possibility of Xander being alive.  I think Karin Gist is still the showrunner, and she was a producer on One Tree Hill, so I guess that's why we got stuck with Chad Michael Murray.  Maybe she thinks he's so great she would make him a regular.  I just wonder why they would mention Xander being alive (great job not checking to make sure he was dead, CASSIE) if he isn't.  It wouldn't make much sense to kill Cassie and bring him back (not that it makes sense to bring him back anyway), but it also seemed like Cassie getting the "I love you" from Carlotta was going to be the kiss of death.  I hope that Xander doesn't somehow become Mateo's replacement as "boss of the season" if the show is renewed.  That would be hideous.  And where was Maurice?  If Cassie dies, was there even a point to that romance when Carlotta didn't even care?

I don't think they would let anything happen to Derek because a lot of people would get really upset.  They'll probably have the gang decide that they've done enough to get revenge and just stop, because that's plausible.  If Alex does leave Derek over Olivia, it would probably just be temporary to make the fans worry some more.  Bringing her back is almost as unnecessary as Xander, and very indicative of the OTH influence, as they always had crazy people showing up again when no one asked for it.  I thought she was in some kind of hospital and just sneaked out in the elevator.  

Angel looked more alive than Cassie at the end of the episode, but I don't know if that was intentional.  But Evan Ross wasn't even in the opening credits, so Simone would probably be a very young widow.  (It's hard to figure out how to phrase things when the show might be cancelled.)  I don't know if they intend to remember the broken condom or not, unless they would have a baby to make fans of the couple less sad.  

I don't like that they gave Bobby cancer.  He could have just missed the hearing because he was stuck in traffic, or they could have said nothing like they do so often on this show.  He shouldn't have to be dying to want to have a relationship with his son, and why can't they let Miss Bruce be happy?  I loved it when Olivia acted out at the reception and you could hear Bruce saying something about how she knew the event would be ratchet.  That and the dancing scenes were fun, but it's hard to enjoy when you know everybody's gonna get shot at soon.   

Jackson is just knocked out, isn't he?  If that's the case, they should show how Noah's mom managed to do that, though she is pretty scary!

It's kind of funny that Cotton can kill a guy and not only is it not a plot point in the season finale, but isn't even mentioned except for the oblique reference Cotton could take from Star talking about doing what's necessary to protect a child.  But hey, even though Cotton was probably only in the episode for 60 seconds, I don't think she got shot or is in danger of being dead in a finale for a change, so that's a bonus!  (I just thought of when I used to time all the air time that the character Matt got on one season of Melrose Place, but I think he got more plots than Cotton does.)

I also thought it was funny that at the end of Empire, they were all, "Don't worry!  This show is coming back next season!" and after Star it's like...."Anyhow...Beat Shazam starts again soon!"  I guess we will know by Monday.

• Love 1

This show stays messy!  That was the soapiest of finales.  I guess they figured out a way to get rid of all the extraneous characters that got added on this season. 

RIP Ruby.  She went out like a bad ass though.  

20 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

I also thought it was funny that at the end of Empire, they were all, "Don't worry!  This show is coming back next season!" and after Star it's like...."Anyhow...Beat Shazam starts again soon!"  I guess we will know by Monday.

LMAO!  

• Love 1
On 5/9/2019 at 1:52 AM, KWalkerInc said:

I don't think they would let anything happen to Derek because a lot of people would get really upset.  They'll probably have the gang decide that they've done enough to get revenge and just stop, because that's plausible.  If Alex does leave Derek over Olivia, it would probably just be temporary to make the fans worry some more.

Grey’s anatomy survived Derek being killed when people thought the show would fail. I’m sure some people quit watching but not enough to make a substantial dent in the ratings. That said, Star’s Derek isn’t going anywhere unless Quincy wants to leave the show. Regardless, if Star gets renewed, I can’t see them getting a season 5 so ratings won’t really matter. I guess I shouldn’t hope for better writing, but I’m a secret optimist, lol. So, I need a valid reason on how he survives.

I don’t think Alex would leave. I think the Olivia situation will cause some tension though. Or I could see Derek leaving Alex, over guilt about Olivia and his affiliation with the Bankhead crew getting people killed. The writers would frame it like he’s doing the noble thing and trying to keep her safe. But then it would backfire because Alex would probably get kidnapped and used for leverage.

I could so write for this show, lol.

On 5/9/2019 at 1:52 AM, KWalkerInc said:

What was with the scene where Take 3 is sitting in the theater alone and then they cut to "72 hours earlier"?  Was that supposed to be them dealing with the aftermath of the shooting and Davis's kidnapping?  Did they forget that they were supposed to go back to that at some point?  Maybe it was just so no one would worry that those three wouldn't survive or something

I think it was just a dream sequence, narrated by Carlotta, reflecting on how the girls had been dreaming of that moment since they were kids and the hard work it took to get finally get there.

10 minutes ago, FlyHighSky said:

Well, the show is officially canceled. It was great coming her and discussing!!! 😘

UGH and after that Cliffhanger thanks a fucking lot FOX! Enjoyed Star more than I did Empire 

• Love 1

I can't believe they still haven't cancelled Proven Innocent, a show that draws a 0.4 every week that features a star who already seems to have moved on to another Frasier incarnation.  I figured this would happen though when they picked up four (all awful-sounding) dramas to series yesterday.  But at least they'll have wrestling!  Barf.

I'm still kind of bummed, but it's nice that "#SaveStar" was still trending on Twitter at this hour.  Given that the cancellation wasn't announced until like 9 PM Eastern, I suspect FOX purposely waited to try to slip it under the radar because they were afraid of negative reaction on Twitter (even though it's not like they can't just ignore it, which they will).  I doubt they hadn't already made up their minds and needed those extra hours to think it over when they announced the end of Cool Kids early in the day (and other networks announced everything at once today).  In other words, they're kind of chicken.

I have decided that I am going to pretend that everything I didn't like in the finale was just a very long dream sequence (it's not like they didn't do that in season 2's "Mrs. Rivera" when like half the episode turned out to be Jahil's dream of reuniting with Carlotta).  So let's say...Alex was having a nightmare because of anxiety over the wedding.  At first I was going to limit this to the last 20 minutes, but then that crap about Xander possibly being alive would still exist.  Also, even though it was in another episode, Cotton did still kill Leon, but she only shot him once to save Dior.

I think the season 1 finale was their best because they had filmed so far in advance they had no idea what the reception would be or whether they would be renewed, so no big cliffhangers.  So even though people were murdered in a case of mistaken identity, it was two horrible characters, and there was hope with the girls winning the recording contract.  I always loved their shocked reaction to winning that, as I was sure they wouldn't get it or that THAT was a dream because Simone had mentioned a dream about the contest earlier in the episode.  But I do understand why they may have expected to be renewed, because the ratings in 18-49 weren't that bad for these days or for this network.  I still think all the new dramas sound weird and of limited general appeal, like similar to several shows they've already cancelled the past few years.

• Love 1

It looks like Star is being shopped around to see if another network is willing to pick it up. I’m a little torn about that. As much as I wanted a season 4, shows transferring networks don’t always work out well. Hopefully, they would get a better staff of writers though. It also seemed like the cast was over the show. You can tell the cast genuinely likes each other, evidenced by them hanging out outside of work, but I think a few of them were frustrated with some of the writing and artistic choices just like the fans.  

If we never get another episode, I won’t be too devastated though, because I feel like we wouldn’t have gotten any good explanations or resolutions anyway. We sure as hell didn’t see a smooth transition between season 2 and 3. It’s like they completely rebooted the show and only pulled from past seasons when it was convenient. With the show leaving so many cliffhangers, it kind of leaves all the fans to imagine or assume the ending they wanted to see.

• Love 1
(edited)

So I spent the past couple of days binge-watching Black Mirror so I missed the original airing of the finale. I even avoided reading other people's comments because I wanted to watch this with fresh eyes. Now that I have watched it, I really, really wish that I just read you guys' earlier comments because I...am so freaking pissed.

Ruby, Ruby, Ruby. Why did this show think that killing an elderly rape victim would be a good idea!? This whole season, I've been wondering where the hell she's been and now they kill her off? And violently too. They actually show the bullets impacting into her body. JESUS. I would be so upset if I were the actress or even the actress' family. No one should see their loved one die like that after being assaulted. Why couldn't she die peacefully in her sleep?

Rashad being Carlotta's son is so stupid to me. I can't even take it seriously when he looks like a weathered 48-year-old and Queen Latifah's only 49! I get that the show wanted to have an experienced singer on the show or whatever but he's just way too old to be acting out with drugs and tantruming like a teenager.

I see Star is wearing a 1/3 of an outfit again. I wondered how long that would take. Her ASA outfit was trash.

Alex's stalker storyline could've been interesting (I am a sucker for  Lifetime movies), but this show just doesn't seem to know how to handle interesting storylines. Why couldn't Derek tell that it wasn't actually Alex. Olivia even spoke to him! I'm guessing that she's gonna come back pregnant in the next season.

The adoption storyline is really moronic. Adoption isn't always the answer. Some adoptive parents abuse their adoptive kids so Star saying that Davis is better off just comes off as naive and stupid. Star has so many people who happy and willing to help her with the baby. She has so many more options than the average single mom, so I can't exactly feel sorry for her. I know that in the end, this is all just a ploy to get rid of having to deal with a baby actor, but it's so sloppily done.

I haven't noticed it till now but Simone has basically become a pair of walking eyebrows. The only thing that moves on her face is her eyebrows and even then, they only go up and down, occasionally. Also, her relationship with Angel is soo bland. I never felt the chemistry between and they've been together for a season and a half. They're even freaking married!

Wait, three years have passed!? I thought only a year or maybe even a year and a half has gone by. So are we just gonna ignore the fact that Simone didn't graduate or even attempt to go to school despite being under the government's care at one point? This show is getting so sloppy, man.

What's up with the ugly $2 nighties that are trying to be passed off as bridesmaids dresses? I know the show's budget is dwindling but damn

Great, yet another cancer storyline in a Lee Daniels' show.

The cliff hanger ending is in such poor taste. We have enough mass shootings in American as is. Simone pressing her body into Angel's face while crying was hilarious because he was still moving and she was very obviously smothering him in her badly acted attempt at worry. 

EDIT: Just found out that Star's canceled. Lol, it was nice knowing you all.

Edited by AsiagoSauce
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, FlyHighSky said:

It looks like Star is being shopped around to see if another network is willing to pick it up.

I think they always say that when some show gets cancelled, but it only happens probably less than one percent of the time.  I don't think I'd really want to have to pay to watch this show, or most shows, because I wouldn't use it too much overall.  I'd probably only sign up for a service for the alleged Living Single reboot that Queen Latifah always talked about a few years ago without ever contacting any of the actors about it.

5 hours ago, FlyHighSky said:

It’s like they completely rebooted the show and only pulled from past seasons when it was convenient. 

It seemed like a lot of the time, they would just write whatever they felt like without even acknowledging things that had happened in the SAME season.  Even the original Melrose Place followed continuity better even though it was a mess and had like twice as many episodes in a season.  I did go through this show's writers on IMDb last week, and most of them were new this season or had done just an episode or two in season two.  There was one writer, a co-executive producer, who wrote as far back as episode 4 of the first season, but I guess they didn't bother asking her about past plot lines.

This is about the quote below, which kept ending up in the wrong place for some reason and won't let me write below it:  Angel still moving is why I said that he looked more alive than Cassie but I wasn't sure if it was intentional.  He probably wasn't supposed to be moving but they didn't feel like doing another take!

3 hours ago, AsiagoSauce said:

Simone pressing her body into Angel's face while crying was hilarious because he was still moving

• Love 1

Tonight I saw Brittany O'Grady in an ad for a Christmas-themed slasher movie.  I thought, "It's probably slightly less violent than the last episode of Star was." 

It's been over four months since Lee Daniels announced plans for the wrap-up movie with not a peep about it since then.  I wonder if anyone will ever even ask him about it again.  This may have been completely unrelated, but I thought it was dead when Queen Latifah finally removed the season 3 promo photo of her with Jude, Ryan and Brittany from the top of her Twitter page and replaced it with a shot of Latifah posing on an awards-show red carpet.  She has since changed the photo various times to promote Little Mermaid Live and other projects, but I just wondered if the first change after keeping the Star cast photo so long was because she had heard something.

I read an interview with Ryan Destiny for a magazine (I can't remember which one) that was mostly about grownish and other projects that she is doing.  However, the reporter did ask her if she knew anything about the alleged Star wrap-up movie.  She said, "I wish I did, but I don't.  I've got nothing."  The reporter got snarky and said that no one had anything and basically that the movie had just been wishful thinking by Lee Daniels.  Ryan was very polite and responded that a lot of people were asking about it (though I hadn't seen any elsewhere) and that she didn't want to put any more pressure on Lee.