Type keyword(s) to search

Star - General Discussion

Primetimer
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Binged this in a week and this is the kind of campy teen soap that has the right balance of young adult drama and adult drama. 

Star amuses me in her outright contempt for the world and rudeness. I can't believe no one has caused her serious physical harm.

I just can't with Alex. Bitching out her parents and yet always running to them for help AND with a healthy dose of entitled attitude. Alex's mom may be a mess but at least she keeps showing up when Alex calls. That says something. Daddy Kravitz can't be bothered, LOL.

Simone is the one with some real strength given all that she's gone through and yet she's still standing and trying to move on to bigger and better things.

Queen Latifah's continuous array of wigs was actually a highlight of the series. Every episode, sometimes multiple times she'd have a change up. I'd love to see her wig closet. At least now she's their manager so she'll be more involved in S2 in the business aspect. But where does that leave Jahil?

This show is a mess but it's a fun mess and Benjamin Bratt and Queen Latifah are doing a bang up job in their roles.  Jahil is a sleazebag but he makes him somewhat rootable. His redeeming grace is his sincere love for Cotton. I adored their morning after scene when he tried to feed her donuts and informed her she was Peruvian and said she looks like his mother. He just completely embraced her which was nice.  Suddenly they're the one relationship on this show I don't want them to mess with.

I hate that they went the abusive douchbag route with Hunter. He was alright initially and then it went all downhill.

Eva on the otherhand was a true stealth witch. Yeah, we knew she was too good to be true but she didn't completely give up trying to play the Miss Innocent shtick until this episode. Guess she knew it was the season finale.  The facade was completely gone when she cackled after he left calling Jahil a stupid ass.

Ha! Loved how Eva blabbed allllll their business to Boi and he dropped them like a hot potato. That group is a hot mess. But he got his karma when his newest thing up and got killed.

Leave it to Jahil to beat one murder wrap only to drop into a potential double murder charge of the woman he loved and the boy he loved like a son. Poor guy. Something tells me this is exactly how his life has been going for a long time.

The thing about this series unlike Empire is that everyone is at such a low place that there really isn't anywhere to go but up. They're all hungry. Star to bring her and Simone up and never be at the mercy of the system or anyone else ever again, Alex to prove herself away from her parents, Jahil at his last shot at the bigtime and to redeem himself for blowing it with Carlotta and Mary AND finding a new start with Cotton.

They have a lot of room to play with in Season 2 with Simone. Obviously this season as she recovered from all her traumas there was no room for any kind of romance, but season 2 they may have enough distance to allow for her to have her own young romance. Or finding her own passion which comes at odds with Star's dream. It seems obvious that Star will go on to have a solo career with Alex being a songwriter. I could see Simone following something like choreography or her own songwriting career. Or perhaps becoming a social worker to do better by other kids than was done by her.

Edited by TobinAlbers
  • Love 2

‘Star’: Michael Michele Cast As Series Regular In Season 2 Of Fox Series

Michele will play Ayanna, described as a modern day black Alexis Carrington. She’s the new president of the girls’ record label, and money is the bottom line for her. She knows the music business is changing and is driven to do whatever it takes to make her label relevant.

‘Star’ Casts Evan Ross & Mike Epps In Season 2 Of Fox Music Drama

Ross will play Angel, nephew to Jahil Rivera (Benjamin Bratt) and a DJ with a bad-boy streak who is heavy in the Latin music scene. Mike Epps will appear in the Star/Empire crossover episode as Jay Holland, the girls’ record label president who is willing to cross the line with one of them. Luke James, who was mentioned during TCA as a cast addition for the new season, will play Noah Brooks, a top-selling R&B artist at the label. He is charming and a sweet talker with ambitious streak.

First, our girls are back yayyyyyy lol

Now that that's out of the way, I thought this was a strong premiere. Lee Daniels admitted in an interview that it took them a while to really get the vibe of Star, which we all could tell from the uneven first season. But I think the show has definitely found its groove. If Empire is Dynasty then Star is defintely Melrose Place. lol And I love it.

I think the chemistry between the group members is even stronger now. And I didn't even hate Star once during this episode, which is progress. lol I think she and Hunter's mom are perfect rivals because game recognizes game. 

They need to get Simone out of there and back with Carlotta ASAP. The poor girl just can't catch a break.

Alex and Derrek remain so cute together but it's only a matter of time before her secret comes out. I kept wondering how they were going to handle her pregnancy and was surprised that they ended up letting her have the abortion after all. I dug her scene with her mom and Naomi killed me with her delivery of "wings". 

Also great to see Cotton back and in a good place with Carlotta. But what was up with Elliott coming back at the strip club? I hope his crazy ass isn't a stalker. And Carlotta cannot have killed Jahil. I refuse to believe it! lol This must be some elaborate scheme to get him into hiding because this show would be crazy to get rid of Benjamin Bratt and all his sleazy sexiness. lol 

And I agree that Michael Michele is gonna be great. Her character already looks quite formidable. 

Edited by Dream Boy
  • Love 4
On 9/28/2017 at 8:26 AM, Dream Boy said:

First, our girls are back yayyyyyy lol

Now that that's out of the way, I thought this was a strong premiere. Lee Daniels admitted in an interview that it took them a while to really get the vibe of Star, which we all could tell from the uneven first season. But I think the show has definitely found its groove. If Empire is Dynasty then Star is defintely Melrose Place. lol And I love it.

I think the chemistry between the group members is even stronger now. And I didn't even hate Star once during this episode, which is progress. lol I think she and Hunter's mom are perfect rivals because game recognizes game. 

They need to get Simone out of there and back with Carlotta ASAP. The poor girl just can't catch a break.

Alex and Derrek remain so cute together but it's only a matter of time before her secret comes out. I kept wondering how they were going to handle her pregnancy and was surprised that they ended up letting her have the abortion after all. I dug her scene with her mom and Naomi killed me with her delivery of "wings". 

Also great to see Cotton back and in a good place with Carlotta. But what was up with Elliott coming back at the strip club? I hope his crazy ass isn't a stalker. And Carlotta cannot have killed Jahil. I refuse to believe it! lol This must be some elaborate scheme to get him into hiding because this show would be crazy to get rid of Benjamin Bratt and all his sleazy sexiness. lol 

And I agree that Michael Michele is gonna be great. Her character already looks quite formidable. 

Jahil is in the episode description for episode 3 so I think the end of the episode was the beginning of them revealing that Jahil is alive and he and Carlotta faked his death. It looked like she shot him in the shoulder. I'm thinking he told Carlotta about the trouble he was in With the human traffickers and they set up his "death". 

8 hours ago, Court said:

Star is so unlikable  

LMAO I just came here to post "well, Star's back to being a nasty bitch again" LOL Carlotta handled her way nicer than I would have.

And yay!!! Our sleazebag has returned lol Good to see Jahil back. Before this show ends, we need a proper Carlotta/Jahil romance because I love their chemistry.

I'm not sure where this Simone storyline is heading because I did not expect that ending at all. Oh, and Paris Jackson's character is a sleaze. She fits right in LOL

Line of the night: "That Rachel Dolezal look has to go." Michael Michele never leave. 

• Love 6

I was seriously concerned with all of the recurring actors Star was adding this year but they've all really hit the ground running.

Michael Michele has been an utter delight from the word go, Luke James is great, Elijah Kelley and Evan Ross are too adorable and even Paris Jackson serves a purpose.

Hopefully Star's father, played by the always dependable Stephen Dorff, is another good addition instead of becoming another Otis.

On 10/5/2017 at 8:30 AM, Dream Boy said:

LMAO I just came here to post "well, Star's back to being a nasty bitch again" LOL Carlotta handled her way nicer than I would have.

And yay!!! Our sleazebag has returned lol Good to see Jahil back. Before this show ends, we need a proper Carlotta/Jahil romance because I love their chemistry.

I'm not sure where this Simone storyline is heading because I did not expect that ending at all. Oh, and Paris Jackson's character is a sleaze. She fits right in LOL

Line of the night: "That Rachel Dolezal look has to go." Michael Michele never leave. 

Which one is Paris Jackson playing? Is she the girl who wanted a kiss from Simone?

Lance Gross too?! On a show that already boasts Quincy Brown, Elijah Kelley, Jack Yang, Evan Ross, and Luke James? Star's casting director is awesome.

The girls bum-rushing Noah's performance, with Carlotta barely concealing her amusement, had me on the floor.

Cotton is headed for a world of trouble. As much shade as she throws at her parents, she's just like them.

I'd definitely watch a HGTV renovation show starring Miss Bruce.

Noah & Star have a ton of chemistry. It's only a matter of time before they do it.

Star comforting Alex was a surprisingly sweet moment. Star may be a self sabotaging stunt queen, and Alex may be a pampered park avenue princess, but they truly get each other.

The scenes with Simone in lock-up were compelling. The PIC is no joke.

Michael Michele remains fun. Her barking at Alex to 'sit her non-talented ass down,' after the Underground disaster cracked me up.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 3
20 hours ago, Dee said:

Star comforting Alex was a surprisingly sweet moment. Star may be a self sabotaging stunt queen, and Alex may be a pampered park avenue princess, but they truly get each other.

That's the thing about Star. Despite her heinous moments, it's times like this where you can see why these other people would want to be around her.

Glad to see that Alex may have made a breakthrough and that the girls have a win. They deserve it.

Star's bio dad can't be anything but trouble.

I am digging all of the new characters.

• Love 3

Hey can someone fill me in on a little back story from Season 1- how'd Simone end up in juvie? Who's the person that wrote Cotton that long letter?

Star's Dad is a piece of work. You don't get to walk out on your child and stroll back in when they are adult and think keeping a childhood drawing makes up for it. Addiction is an awful disease, but if he had actually cared about Star (and her sister, what's the deal there, that's not his kid but Star is older right?) he would've tried to find her the second he was clean. 

No new episodes until after the World Series. 

Edited by Scarlett45
On 9/28/2017 at 8:26 AM, Dream Boy said:

If only they would let her character stay formidable. Star keeps mouthing off, because....Star, and Michael Michele takes it....why? If Star were to pull those shenanigans in front of Cookie Lyon, the girl would be a smear on the sidewalk under Cookie's Louboutins in a hot minute.

In this most recent episode, Star publicly assaults a new employee in front of Michael Michele, resulting in the employee wearing a neck brace YET....no repercussions. It just makes MM's character seem...weak. I'm starting to give up hope for growth or even potential for depth in Star's character; the "STAR ACTING OUT" show is getting increasingly unpleasant to watch. Am I the only one rooting against her? 

I'm hoping that they bring back Cotton's fabulousness, and more Miss Bruce please! Simone is absolutely gorgeous--I agree with whoever said she'd be a better lead for the show. But soon even Queen Latifah's everlasting awesomeness isn't going to be enough to keep my tv turned on after Empire.

• Love 6

Catching up while the show is on WS hiatus.

I was spoiled by Queen Latifah on Harry Connick Jr's show that Jahill was not dead. She did not say that outright, but she said that she loves (present tense) working with BB every day, so unless they were going to go flashback heavy, I knew his death was misdirection. Good thing, since he is the reason I started watching the show in the first place. (And just when I thought I could not love her more, QL told Harry that Carlotta's wigs are her favorite co-stars...lol) 

Ayanna needs to step it the hell up, because Star bulldozing over her at every turn is not a good look. The only reason they are in is because GiGi loves them, so the show could have had Ayanna standing firm until she had to kiss the ass of the artist she was desperate to sign. And I guess if you're Star, it's ok to assault people? 

I suppose Quincy Brown & Paris Jackson were stunt casts, but Quincy is a really good actor, and Paris certainly has a presence on-screen. I doubt seriously that MJ is her biological father, but she sure has his it factor. But Rachel requesting a kiss from under-age Simone to post their video on her You Tube channel was gross. Can you imagine the outcry if Rachel had been Ronald making the same demand? 

I would totally watch Miss Bruce on an HGTV salon renovation show!

On 10/20/2017 at 3:05 AM, Kaiju Ballet said:

Am I the only one rooting against her? 

Not just you - please make room in the Star hate section for me. If I am supposed to be sympathetic enough to excuse her past behavior after seeing her break down with her dad, too little too late.There would have had to have been an underlying likeableness to her from the start, which there was not. 

• Love 4

I fully agree Ayanna needs to take a firmer hand as it pertains to Big Trouble's antics.

The problem is how to accomplish that, and also keep the girls, realistically, on the label.

• Love 1

Binging to catch up. Loved the crack about the music label guy looking like Mike Epps. 'He did look like Mike Epps' LOL.

Star showing the pics of her injuries to the cop and explaining that the reason she hadn't released him was because she knew with Hunter dead that he couldn't hurt anyone anymore was a nice human moment for her as well as the cop. Such complex sad emotions she has for that jerk.

Bruce needs to reign it in. Ignoring the girl's crying while working on her hair AND mouthing off at the mom? Asking how does it feel to not be able to walk and just the constant commentary. Surprised she doesn't get popped more.

'I'm white, not see through.' Heh.

Carlotta's rotating array of wigs is always a delight. LOVED seeing Carlotta's wig closet and her description of the wig moods.

Jahil went with a shaggy beard but kept his hair shortish? So Jahil's nephew is obviously gonna hook up with one of the ladies. Jahlil's love for Cotton just gets me.

Michael Michele is perfectly cast. They need to let her be a bad ass boss bitch and BE a bad ass bitch. Star is a loose cannon. Yes she has talent and an 'IT' factor but not enough for Ayanna to put up with.

The actress that plays Simone fascinates me in how she can play stoned, vulnerable, exploited and abused, lacking self-confidence sweet kid Simone but when the camera is on and the music plays she is completely in her element and really is a star.

Uh, Grace with the messed up relaxer needed to at least get her hair done before she left with the six free visits. Her hair was still in horrible shape and she walked out of the salon.

Empire and Star love their artist competitions.

Star is right this is the hustle they chose, but damn, girl shows no loyalty. I mean, yeah, be ruthless when you need to be, but she's ready to hop ship TOO readily.

• Love 2

For some reason my PVR did not record it last night.  Anybody got any leads to somewhere to watch it online that doesn't need me to subscribe to something?  I've been hunting but haven't found anything.  I'm geographically restricted on Fox because I'm Canadian and I don't know how to get around that because I am an old person.

Edited by crowceilidh

Andy & Angel were discussing all the times they had been pulled over by the police.

Angel began the discussion by saying he'd been pulled over like 30 times. Andy commiserated, saying he'd been stopped last week, while dropping contracts off to Ayanna, despite wearing a suit and tie. An incredulous Angel said wearing a suit and tie didn't matter. To which Andy replied he knew it didn't, which is why Andy never removed his hands from his steering wheel during the encounter.

Then Andy left to see if he could find any updates about the situation. After he left, Jahil asked Angel if he was alright. Angel shook his head and told his Uncle that everything that transpired was 'just another day,' before leaving too.

• Love 3

Thanks so much Dee - I don't know why I couldn't understand anything they said at all, I've never had that problem with this show beyond the odd word here and there (and to be honest, that happens to me with every show I watch).

Edited by crowceilidh

Fox’s ‘Star’ Enlists ‘New Edition Story’ Director Chris Robinson

Robinson directed all three installments of the BET miniseries “The New Edition Story,” which broke ratings records for the network. Among his other credits, he directed the pilot for the Amazon series “The Climb,” the 2006 film “ATL,” and multiple episodes of the comedy series “Real Husbands of Hollywood.” Robinson is also a celebrated music video director, and was nominate for a Grammy for his work on the music video “One Mic” by Nas. He has also worked with artists like Jay-Z,  Beyoncé, Alicia Keys, Mary J. Blige, and Eminem to name just a few.

Last night's show was amazing.  I am not  even a big fan of the show.  The opening scene with the  character mourning his friend who was killed by the police blew me away.. I loved him re-imagining him and his friends being part of the freedom riders, in desegregating the south. The cinematography, the music, their clothing, the rage and anger of the white customers towards them in that restaurant really captured the turmoil during that  turbulent time. The final shot of the 4 Black protagonists kneeling and raising their fists in the Black power salute was powerful and had me in tears.. 

• Love 1
On 10/25/2017 at 8:38 PM, Toothbrush said:

Not just you - please make room in the Star hate section for me. If I am supposed to be sympathetic enough to excuse her past behavior after seeing her break down with her dad, too little too late.There would have had to have been an underlying likeableness to her from the start, which there was not. 

To me, this the inherent problem with this show.  They were counting on Star, as the lead, having this undeniable charisma that would make us root for her despite all her antics.  But the actress just can't pull it off.  

Why is Ayanna giving a child prescription medication that was not prescribed to said child?  I really hope they're not starting a pill addition storyline with Simone.  Can the girl just catch a break?

I was really enjoying Alex's and Noah's developing friendship.  But, I should have known better than expecting it to stay that way because of course men and women on TV can just be friends.  

• Love 3

Saw the latest episode, finally someone asked Ayanna about that big-ass painting of Kathy Griffin in her office.  Also, it makes absolutely no sense for Ayanna to pit the Midtown artists against each other in an actual competition then expect them to come together for a performance.  Maybe her father is right.

Edited by funkopop
  • Love 2

Is this show gonna have me disliking Alex now? Getting feelings for Noah(who's a dirty dog) while she has a man. I so do not like cheaters. Yes Star is a Bitch at least half the time but she digs Noah. I CANNOT STAND Triangles either. I grow to dislike/Hate every one involved and Noah is not worth it . Also I see you Carlotta getting your groove on lol

Edited by jay741982
  • Love 1

I'm so happy that Cotton is alive!  I kept trying to cheat by looking ahead at the FOX press releases for the episodes, but they were very careful not to say anything at all.  I don't think I could have really been that in to the rest of the episode if she hadn't survived.  I hope that Omari will be off the show soon, because I don't want that hanging over her forever.  I think that Latifah posted a picture of Amiyah Scott, Patti LaBelle and Brandy together on set a long time ago, but that could have just meant that Cotton was in flashbacks.  It was funny though on Twitter after the fall finale, Amiyah posted a "Thank you for the opportunity, Lee Daniels" type message, and she was amused because no one said anything in response, like they either weren't buying it or just hoping it wasn't as bad as it looked.

Simone was great when she told off Noah, and I also laughed when Star finally admitted to Alex that she liked Noah and Simone muttered, "Finally!"  She always has great snarky lines.  The love triangle is annoying, but I imagine it will go on for quite some time.

• Love 2

So I know this forum is kind of dead, but figured I would post. After tonight’s episode I googled and actually, because of the way Angel entered the country, he’s one of 2 exceptions that can stay in country while applying for a green card, since he’s married to a citizen. Many other factors obv but I’m curious to see how it goes. 

Also kind of sad Star finally “got” Brody, once he was dead.  Isn’t Ben Bragg related to Arlene somehow? Cuz clearly that family breeds crazy and violent.  I felt really bad for little Star for many reasons  

• Love 1

I had to look away for a minute when they were about to kill Brody because it seemed like it would be gross, and I'm a little squeamish.  Of course, it was pretty gruesome when Brody killed Hunter's horrible mother too.  I don't usually read any spoilers, but I guessed that something was going to go down with him when the press releases (which I only read through next week's back when I was looking for info on Cotton) stopped listing him as a cast member as of next week.  At least Star did get to share her revelation and express her regret before he died, even though she's still obviously headed for a downward spiral. 

I wonder if FOX and Fox Sports affiliates will now stop showing the same commercial over and over because all the stuff from it has happened.  My friend who doesn't watch told me a long time ago that they showed a girl saying she had gotten married, but it wasn't until right before last week's episode aired anyway that I saw the ad and that it was Simone.  I'm glad that everyone told Andy to shut up when he repeatedly asked if Simone is gay.  He's kind of a jerk.  Then there was Star asking if Simone married Karen's ghost, but Simone was barely even surprised that her sister would say something that bad by this point.  Derek and Bruce sure had a lot to do in this episode!  (And in the press releases, they always screw up and write "Miss Lawrence as Miss Brooks" instead of Miss Bruce.)

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Dee said:

I loved Karen & Simone but Angel & Simone are adorable.

I agree. Angel and Simone are really cute! Since Alex and Derek are no more, they can be my cute couple of the show now. And LOL @ "I thought she was gay".

Twins is so soap opera and I love it lol Charlene was just as much a piece of work as her sister. Sorry to see Brody go but it was obvious that the life would catch up to him. 

Poor Star. That's some memory to uncover! She's already a mess as is. I can't imagine what this is going to do to her. 

Cheating on Derek aside, I love that all of the boys love Alex. #MelaninMagic

• Love 3

I liked this week's episode.  Some more good one-liners including "Not in my wig room!!" from Carlotta and of course "Jesus, take the wheel," which was in the oft-shown commercial but they made it look like that was her response to Simone's marriage announcement in the ad.  I also liked Bruce telling Star and Alex not to fight while he got the door because it was better than his stories, and then thinking the woman looking for her baby's father wanted Jahil.  The Angel/Simone duet was cute, even though the fantasy video started off a little cheesy.

One thing that confused me was that early in the season, a detective and Arlene kept talking about Star being a "killer," but it seems like nobody but Brody knew what happened and Carlotta said that Star wouldn't talk for weeks after Mary's death, so how was this in her record, or were they talking about some other incident?

• Love 1
6 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

One thing that confused me was that early in the season, a detective and Arlene kept talking about Star being a "killer,

IIRC Jahil killed Eva and Hunter in bed at the end of season one, but it was unknown that it was Jahil, and he was not arrested. Arlene assumed Star was involved, since Star and Hunter had a very violent relationship. I think!