Type keyword(s) to search

Star - General Discussion

Primetimer
  • Start Topic

I actually like the plot with the Ben Bratt and his "niece". Star works well as an anti-heroine. She has little or no concern for anyone but herself, and she COULD have worked if she had "IT", either voice or stagecraft that overwhelmed the other two; but she doesn't. The eye and ear always goes to them, as they are just flat out better performers. I have lived in Atlanta for almost 20 years, and I have seen two white male police officers. I know the story they are trying to tell, but maybe have the girls go on a road trip outside the Perimeter to make it more convincing? And pretty girls, whatever race, never get treated that badly. It's one of the privileges of being pretty.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, Dee said:

Tonight's episode was really good. The show is still a mess but it has potential.

I agree. It's a mess but it's a fun and entertaining mess. And I agree that last night's show was pretty good. I'm ready for the eventual Star/Eva showdown because you know it's coming. The show seems to have hit its groove and looks like we are in for another doozy of an episode next week.  

• Love 2
7 hours ago, NorthstarATL said:

I actually like the plot with the Ben Bratt and his "niece". Star works well as an anti-heroine. She has little or no concern for anyone but herself, and she COULD have worked if she had "IT", either voice or stagecraft that overwhelmed the other two; but she doesn't. The eye and ear always goes to them, as they are just flat out better performers. I have lived in Atlanta for almost 20 years, and I have seen two white male police officers. I know the story they are trying to tell, but maybe have the girls go on a road trip outside the Perimeter to make it more convincing? And pretty girls, whatever race, never get treated that badly. It's one of the privileges of being pretty.

I thought the same thing and it really threw me off. I thought they should have headed my way. (I'm OTP)

• Love 1

Amiyah Scott and Miss Lawrence have proven to be quite impressive as actors.

I appreciate the fact that, neither is reduced to a gay/trans/genderfluid stereotype; and that both characters are, just like in real life, 'normal' members of the larger community just like everyone else.

• Love 7

Well it looks like Star and Hunters relationship is over. She would have to be crazy to go back to him. Carlotta and the pastor are over too. Maybe that means there won't be any relationship drama for at least one episode. I can't believe Cotton didn't tell the asian guy that she was transsexual before he started dating her. Some guys wouldn't of took the news that well.

Nice to see Queen Latifah perform - although I'm not sure it will be enough to save this show.  I still kind of like it, although it's falling into the 'too soapy too fast' pit that drags down so many new shows.  You have to give us a chance to get to know the characters a little first!  Given the sparseness of the comments here, I was pleasantly surprised to see it listed as 'likely to renew' on Cancel Bear.  Still hanging in there...

On 2/21/2017 at 8:02 AM, vteal said:

Nice to see Queen Latifah perform - although I'm not sure it will be enough to save this show.  I still kind of like it, although it's falling into the 'too soapy too fast' pit that drags down so many new shows.  You have to give us a chance to get to know the characters a little first!  Given the sparseness of the comments here, I was pleasantly surprised to see it listed as 'likely to renew' on Cancel Bear.  Still hanging in there...

Good news for our little show!

• Love 2

Awesome news about the renewal!

I'm wondering if Carlotta's flashbacks are implying Jahil is Cotton's father.

Over the course of the season I figured he'd end up a Dad, but I thought it would be Star. Him being Cotton's dad, with all the unfinished business & amazing chemistry he has with Carlotta, would be an interesting twist though.

• Love 1

I've only been watching intermittently, but I'm getting into it. I liked this latest episode. Sad to see Elliot break up with Cotton, and he was wrong for saying he thinks she likes hooking. 

I am also realizing that I don't hate the music on this show.

Star continues to annoy me.

Also, Benjamin Bratt is so much hotter now than when he was younger.

I'm wondering if Carlotta's flashbacks are implying Jahil is Cotton's father.

I had the same thought. Like you, I'm digging the chemistry between Jahil and Carlotta. 

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 3

Add me in with the group that thinks Jahil could be Cotton's father. That would be an interesting twist. And it was cool to see Mary was there for Carlotta and Cotton much like Carlotta is now for her girls. 

Speaking of which, it sucks that Cotton and Elliott ended things. I have a few trans women friends and I know the reality of many of them turning to prostitution for the quick money, when there are so few other avenues available. So, I definitely feel for Cotton. But this was bound to blow up in her face.

And looks like Eva got served even quicker than I expected lol I figured she would have at least gotten another performance or two in with the group before her card was pulled. 

I know that the show has explained that Hunter is coming from a household with domestic violence but I think he's dangerous and Star needs to stay away.

Alexandra and Derek are so cute. Don't fuck this up, show!  

And look! A Shenellica Bettencourt sighting! lol 

Edited by Dream Boy
  • Love 2

I've dug this show more and more. I know when you first look at it, it just like a silly light version of Empire with a random white girl at the center. But while it's a little wacky with the random music videos I've really dig the story they are telling with Cotton. It's the best part of this show. I like getting a little background on the relationship with Cotton and Carlotta. No wonder she's so determined to take care of Mary's daughters since Mary took care of Cotton when she was in jail. I wonder if they were still close when Mary died and if Star has any old memories of Carlotta from when she was little.

Jahil and Carlotta did have a thing when they were in the group but I don't think he's Cotton's father.

• Love 2

I wonder if they were still close when Mary died and if Star has any old memories of Carlotta from when she was little.

In an earlier episode, they showed that Carlotta was hugging both girls when Mary was taken away in the ambulance. I assume that when she died.

Did I miss a scene where Eva revealed to everyone that she spoke fluent English.

Jahil caught her singing in the shower earlier and confronted her about her ability to speak English. Wasn't that when they slept together for the first time?

5 hours ago, SoapDoc said:

Jahil caught her singing in the shower earlier and confronted her about her ability to speak English. Wasn't that when they slept together for the first time?

I remember that.  But up until this last episode, she was still pretending to only know a little English to everyone else.

I'm sorry but Eva is Trifling for fucking Jahil who just looks Lecherous. I enjoy Ben Bratt and he's a good actor but Jahil is sleazy as Hell. He screwed Mary and Carlotta PLUS he wants to Fuck Star knowing he fucked her mother. And Starr implying a few weeks ago she'd Fuck him made her look trifling as well. Sorry Ben's a good looking dude but he don't look it on this show 

• Love 2
On 2/26/2017 at 7:22 PM, jay741982 said:

I'm sorry but Eva is Trifling for fucking Jahil who just looks Lecherous. I enjoy Ben Bratt and he's a good actor but Jahil is sleazy as Hell. He screwed Mary and Carlotta PLUS he wants to Fuck Star knowing he fucked her mother. And Starr implying a few weeks ago she'd Fuck him made her look trifling as well. Sorry Ben's a good looking dude but he don't look it on this show 

LOL If this show proves anything, it's that Ben Bratt can play a sleazebag with the best of them. Jahil just oozes slime lol 

• Love 5

That's one of the things I appreciate most about Star in general.

Jahil's a hustler & Star's talented, but neither is treated as a saint. The writing goes to great lengths to underscore that these characters are severely flawed. The fact that this show is closer to Valley Of The Dolls, than Fame, tone-wise, keeps it from succumbing to its contrivances.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Dream Boy said:

LOL If this show proves anything, it's that Ben Bratt can play a sleazebag with the best of them. Jahil just oozes slime lol 

Agreed! He's a very talented actor. And Jahil is just so slimy but he's still an interesting character. Same with Star. Except I don't find her slimy but she's got ruthlessness and is an interesting character as well

• Love 1

I knew Jahil was gonna be Cotton's father!

I'm hoping Star revisits Carlotta & Jahil's relationship, because Latifah & Bratt are smoking together.

• Love 5

Wow. Last night was....wow LOL

Props to everyone that called Jahil being Cotton's father. I almost wished the show hadn't advertised a shock ending because, as soon as Cotton started macking on Jahil and Carlotta saw it, I knew where it was heading. Poor Cotton. As if her head wasn't fucked up enough from all she's been through.

And I totally didn't see Jahil and Eva still being in cahoots. He truly is a sleazebag LOL I should have known she wouldn't slither away so easily. It should be interesting to see where the group goes now.

Speaking of which, I know that she and Star hate each other but I was so over the diva antics during their rehearsals. I was with Jahil "get it together, already". And the girls of Glamour are such bitches! I hope we see them again. 

Oh no Derek :-(

It's a shame that this forum doesn't get much traffic because the show has truly hit it's stride.

• Love 2

I hope Star was just back in the house to pick up a few things, because that new place is nice! I expect it to be trashed by the end of the season, though. Oh, girls; did you really think that if the group were sold as a four-girl that if one of you got into, say, a traffic accident, you'd lose the spot? Remember, Beyonce was a four-girl group once upon a time. the father/son bonding at the end was SO soapy! Oh, and I loved how Eva managed to wear her hair at the shop so that the scratch marks were emphasized.

(edited)

I knew Jahil was gonna be Cotton's father!

I screamed "I KNEW IT!" at the TV. Poor Cotton. Can she catch a break?

I echo others in observing that Jahil is as sleazy as they come, but I am enjoying the hell out of Benjamin Bratt in this role. And I love his chemistry with Queen Latifah.

I loved seeing Missy Elliot as Pumpkin again. I especially loved how she spent most of her scene with Jahil telling him he ain't shit. 

Hope Alex and Derek are ok, but that crash looked brutal.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 2
On 3/2/2017 at 2:01 PM, NorthstarATL said:

I hope Star was just back in the house to pick up a few things, because that new place is nice! I expect it to be trashed by the end of the season, though. Oh, girls; did you really think that if the group were sold as a four-girl that if one of you got into, say, a traffic accident, you'd lose the spot? Remember, Beyonce was a four-girl group once upon a time. the father/son bonding at the end was SO soapy! Oh, and I loved how Eva managed to wear her hair at the shop so that the scratch marks were emphasized.

Oh Damn I didn't think that Car Accident was a setup until just now! Man Eva and Jahil are trifling and im definitely wanting Star and Simone to get rid of them. Seriously Jahil is so slimy looking. Eva is a trifling ho. 

On 3/2/2017 at 8:17 PM, Gillian Rosh said:

I screamed "I KNEW IT!" at the TV. Poor Cotton. Can she catch a break.

I echo others in observing that Jahil is as sleazy as they come, but I am enjoying the hell out of Benjamin Bratt in this role. And I love his chemistry with Queen Latifah.

I loved seeing Missy Elliot as Pumpkin again. I especially loved how she spent most of her scene with Jahil telling him he ain't shit. 

Hope Alex and Derek are ok, but that crash looked brutal.

Agreed that Ben Bratt is awesome in the role. 

Cotton is crazy for stealing from that guy she used to date. It seems like there really isn't anything she wont do. I knew Star was a fool for going back to that guy after he hit her and no surprise he does it again. I can't believe Derek is paralyzed from the waist down, it's a shame. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Jahil is terrible, but I give him permission to lay waste to Hunter. I have a feeling Star and Hunter is going to get much worse before it ends.

More of characters telling Jahil he ain't shit. Yes! Long may it continue. 

Speaking of which, Big Boi was fun in this ep.

Can poor Cotton catch a break? I liked her scenes with Jahil.

My heart hurts for Derek and Alex.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 2

That shady bitch Eva turned in Jahil didn't she? She just bugs me every time they're performing and it's supposed to be sexy or full of attitude and she's got this huge stupid grin on her face.

Cotton's storyline is always my favorite of the show. She broke my heart when she found the money was stolen. She's going to get caught stealing that other guy's money. Who turned out to be an ass. "This person."

Hunter is going to end up getting stabbed by Star and I will root her on.

I know that it's a soap opera type show but man, could they ease up on Alex and Derek. Now he's paralyzed?

• Love 1
(edited)

Eva's a shady heffa. But it serves Jahil right for putting his libido above loyalty. Again.

Big Boi so sassy. He needs to be a judge on RuPaul's Drag Race one of these days.

Simone has turned into the most stable member of the group. Who knew?

Cotton is certainly her mother's daughter. Her ex is cute but the attitude he threw her when she showed up at his place? She's lucky their relationship ended it when it did.

Naomi Campbell knocked her scenes out of the park. She's never been a strong actress but she's turned out to be pretty solid here.

Alex and Derek are sweet but everything bad happens to them. Like, literally, everything.

Hunter has turned Star into Sister from Sparkle. 

Edited by Dee
  • Love 2

Paris Jackson wasn't too bad here for her first time acting.

And Alex getting pregnant right when the group is starting to take off. So copied off Chilli from TLC.

• Love 2

Cotton may be able to get away with stealing from her ex since I suspect he probably doesn't want his sexual business in the streets. He might come after her in extra-legal ways but I don't think he is going to press charges.

I also don't think Eva turned Jahil in. The police got his car tag from the body dump so they came to arrest him. It does her no good to turn him in -- she would get kicked out of the group and Big Boi didn't want her solo. Her music career would be stalled.

This show has definitely improved--it's a fun watch.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Dakisela said:

I know this isn't real life, but aren't those girls supposed to be teenagers in this show????  Those sex scenes with Jahil and Eva are so squicky and gross. 

I don't know how old Eva is supposed to be. For some reason, I have always assumed her to be 20, 21 or thereabouts. 

That said, it does squick me out to see her in bed with Jahil. He looks old enough to be her father. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Gillian Rosh said:

That said, it does squick me out to see her in bed with Jahil. He looks old enough to be her father. 

Either way she'd be calling him Daddy.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, NorthstarATL said:

I liked the look they gave Star at the end of the episode. That WAS her, right, and not her mother? And what was that look on Eva's face at the end? She set Jahil up? That's some long-range planning!

She didn't set him up. He forgot to remove the license plate on his car. We saw the police discuss it and say they were going to areest him. She was an accomplice so she's afraid of going down with him.

4 hours ago, In2You said:

She didn't set him up. He forgot to remove the license plate on his car. We saw the police discuss it and say they were going to areest him. She was an accomplice so she's afraid of going down with him.

Thanks. Then why the weird smile? That's what had me confused.

I really loved the scene where Carlotta was talking to Jahil about when Cotton was younger. The actors did a great job of conveying the history between the characters ("Now, see this is how I got knocked up in the first place.") Jahil is so terrible most of the time, but it's fascinating/endearing to see him trying to make up for lost time with Cotton.

• Love 2

I knew that shady Eva was the one to call the cops on Jahil! I didn't see Otis's wife being the one to kill him but it works. And it looks like we are done with both Eva and Hunter. I was satisfied with Star breaking Hunter's hand but that was still good.

Really sad about Cotton not getting her surgery.

• Love 3

hah should've known that trifling skank Eva called the cops on Jahil. Glad to see The Girls win and Now Carlotta is their Manager. Also I fucking LOVED Simone and Starr doing what they did to Hunter. Actually felt sorry for Jahil cause I hate Eva. She's so disgusting banging Hunter and for what she did to Jahil among other things. We end with Cotton Arrested either After or Before her surgery. Being killed while having sex couldn't have happened to two nicer people. But now I'm wondering why they were killed or if the mystery killer actually knew who he/She was killing. Was it to get back at Jahil for helping those girls earlier in the season? Or was Eva actually in on it and was killed for some reason?

2 minutes ago, TiffanyNichelle said:

I knew that shady Eva was the one to call the cops on Jahil! I didn't see Otis's wife being the one to kill him but it works. And it looks like we are done with both Eva and Hunter. I was satisfied with Star breaking Hunter's hand but that was still good.

Really sad about Cotton not getting her surgery.

Am I a bad person for cheering those two despicable characters being murdered? Did feel bad for Jahil cause Hunter was his Nephew and he really cared/Loved Eva's trifling skank ass. 

• Love 1

I'm assuming that whoever shot Hunter/Eva thought that they were Jahil/Eva. Poor Jahil, having to deal with being cheated on and death at the same time, while probably still high. Plus,, it's likely that he'll be arrested for the killing, because who wouldn't look at that scene and think jealousy?

I'm glad Hunter got what was coming to him, but, really? Star's like 100 lbs., and a tire iron requires upper body strength and height to be effective. Everyone knows that the way a female singer deals with a football player BF is by burning his house down! Much safer.

• Love 5

I wouldn't be surprised if Eva was the one who tipped off the human traffickers about Jahil letting the girls go and of course her stupid ass would stay at his house. She tried to get him arrested and double crossed the girls with Big Boi and still went back to his apartment.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, NorthstarATL said:

Everyone knows that the way a female singer deals with a football player BF is by burning his house down! Much safer.

LMAO!

All of Star's talk about taking care of Hunter and she still ended up locked in a closet.  Good thing Simone has more sense than her.

I really enjoyed the song they won with.

Did Cotton really think that disguise was gonna work?  Also, how'd they find her so quickly?

Nevemind.  I just remembered she stole the checks from her Asian boyfriend.

• Love 5

"I'm tryin' to get to that Pitbull New Year's Eve check." Hahaha. Big Boy has been a real find this season.

Ok, that salon scene with Jahil and Carlotta was cute. 

For being about a fledgling girl group, this show sure has a high body count.

Cotton is just always on. point. She made sure those girls had their outfits (and a steamer!) before she went for her surgery. Cotton is a gem. Did Carlotta turn her in?

Not gonna miss Eva or Hunter.

Poor Jahil, having to deal with being cheated on and death at the same time, while probably still high.

I know, right? I never thought I'd think let alone agree with the words "poor Jahil."

I loved all the performances in this finale. Big Trouble were well worth their win at Atlanta Next Fest.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 3

I had a good laugh at the writers being meta by having Simone & Star break into an impromptu performance of Dreamgirls.

If Star refers to herself as Neely O'Hara next season I will love this show forever.

• Love 4

Almost didn't watch anymore after the first episode because it was super corny. But a dearth of TV options if one doesn't watch "America entertains you!/murder/vampires/fairytale/time traveler/cops/firemen/doctor/CSI in every city" type of shows meant taking my picky ass back for second helpings.

Glad I did, as I agree with everyone who stated the show hit its stride halfway through. Yes, Star remained annoying. Yes, I still couldn't understand why she was supposed to be so great. But everyone else around her became so much better, it made her bearable. Plus Lenny. And Naomi. And Benjamin. I mean ...

tumblr_ofqunmQK911tq4of6o1_400.gif 

Fully on board for Season 2.

• Love 7
13 hours ago, SnarkKitty said:

Almost didn't watch anymore after the first episode because it was super corny. But a dearth of TV options if one doesn't watch "America entertains you!/murder/vampires/fairytale/time traveler/cops/firemen/doctor/CSI in every city" type of shows meant taking my picky ass back for second helpings.

Glad I did, as I agree with everyone who stated the show hit its stride halfway through. Yes, Star remained annoying. Yes, I still couldn't understand why she was supposed to be so great. But everyone else around her became so much better, it made her bearable. Plus Lenny. And Naomi. And Benjamin. I mean ...

tumblr_ofqunmQK911tq4of6o1_400.gif 

Fully on board for Season 2.

LMAO! This is so my relationship with the show. After the first episode, I was like "girl, stop" but, since there wasn't anything else on I wanted to watch, I decided to watch again the second week...then the third...Next thing you know, I'm hooked and almost wishing they had prolonged the return of Empire to see more of my girls lol

I agree with everyone here. Loved the finale. And it's crazy that Jahil can be such a slimeball but you still feel sorry for him. The finale surprised me with both Otis' wife being his killer and the killing off of Eva and Hunter. I was convinced the two of them would join as a team to continue to fuck with Big Trouble. But this ending for them was wayyyyyy better. And I'm assuming Hunter's mom tipped the dudes off about Jahil in the first place. So, yeah, good job, karma.

Poor Cotton. The girl can't catch a break. 

Bring on season 2!!! 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Dream Boy said:

Poor Cotton. The girl can't catch a break. 

Right? You know your life sucks when Jahil and Carlotta are, literally, looking down at you.

• Love 3