Type keyword(s) to search

Dragon Ball Super - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Anyone still watching? The brawl is still chugging along, with Goku taking on Kale and Kalifa. Very fan service . . . not in terms of titillation, but that viewers finally get to see female Saiyans fighting. And they are good even before they break out the Kai earrings (I'm guessing the Zenos will allow those), merging them into badass babe Kelfa.

On 6/15/2019 at 1:19 AM, Lantern7 said:

Anyone still watching? The brawl is still chugging along, with Goku taking on Kale and Kalifa. Very fan service . . . not in terms of titillation, but that viewers finally get to see female Saiyans fighting. And they are good even before they break out the Kai earrings (I'm guessing the Zenos will allow those), merging them into badass babe Kelfa.

Been watching but it's almost background noise at this point. Champa nearly bursting a vessel has been funny. 

I'm all for seeing female Saiyans but the execution has been terrible. The way Cabba, Kale and Caulifa have reached Super Saiyan status is ridiculous and complete fan service I haven't been invested in them. 

Whatever they plan for next in the Dragonball universe, if I never have to see the Zeni again I'll be a happy person.

On 6/14/2019 at 10:47 PM, Sandman87 said:

The earrings are cheating, I don't care what Zeni 1 and Zeni 2 say.

I read this before I'd seen the episode, and I'd half-expected the Zenis to say the earrings were ok from the Sayans because we know they can fuze without them, because GoTenks, right? So even though they merged with device-assistance, they're theoretically capable of doing that anyway. I was surprised and yet not surprised when the reasoning was merely 'I'm amused so it's ok".

I'm kind of annoyed at this whole thing because the fighters all seem to be all "honor! skills! whatevers!"and all about who is the best to fight in that same super annoying way Goku and Vegeta always do, instead of actually trying to win. All they need to do is knock their opponents out of the ring. Maybe the thinking is, well if I beat the crap out of them, then it's easy to just toss 'em over the edge, but other than that, they really do not need to actually beat each other to a pulp, just out of the ring. And it feels like it's been eons since anyone were actually trying to knock someone over the edge. They're just pummeling each other, which I guess is fun if you're after watching a fight? But it's not really the task at hand. The "best" fighter here doesn't need to have the most strength. They just need to figure out the most efficient way of knocking the others over the edge. I'm like...fight smarter not harder?

• Love 1
On 6/16/2019 at 1:50 PM, theatremouse said:

I read this before I'd seen the episode, and I'd half-expected the Zenis to say the earrings were ok from the Sayans because we know they can fuze without them, because GoTenks, right? So even though they merged with device-assistance, they're theoretically capable of doing that anyway. I was surprised and yet not surprised when the reasoning was merely 'I'm amused so it's ok".

I'm kind of annoyed at this whole thing because the fighters all seem to be all "honor! skills! whatevers!"and all about who is the best to fight in that same super annoying way Goku and Vegeta always do, instead of actually trying to win. All they need to do is knock their opponents out of the ring. Maybe the thinking is, well if I beat the crap out of them, then it's easy to just toss 'em over the edge, but other than that, they really do not need to actually beat each other to a pulp, just out of the ring. And it feels like it's been eons since anyone were actually trying to knock someone over the edge. They're just pummeling each other, which I guess is fun if you're after watching a fight? But it's not really the task at hand. The "best" fighter here doesn't need to have the most strength. They just need to figure out the most efficient way of knocking the others over the edge. I'm like...fight smarter not harder?

Right now it's fan service and they're giving a certain part of the fandom what they want. Why fight smart when you can only  beat and pummel each other with lots of yelling and bright lights with your Ki. 🙄 

So glad that Caulifa fight is over. So unrealistic Goku would have trouble fighting them or any of the universe 6 people who magically reached Super Saiyan status without really trying. 

Someone notices that Krillin doesn't have a nose!

Vegeta tries his hand at autonomous ultra instinct by emptying his mind while being pummeled by some mook. After about 5 seconds he's all, "screw this." I suspect he came to the realization that Kakarot had an easier time because his mind was already pretty empty.

RIP Universes 2 and 6. Apparently, love cannot conquer all . . . or at least not two Androids and friggin' Son Goku. And it looks like Vegeta won't be visiting Cabbe's home after all. Yeah, I'm thinking there will be an undoing of entire universes getting wiped out, but it's still a bit sad. Well, except for Champa getting erased. Screw that guy.

I was spoiled on Goku beating Kefla, but the maneuver he pulled off was still awesome . . . surfing a power blast with a Kamehameha ki ball.

Nice to see that Champa stayed in character right to the end. "Hey, Beerus!..." (rude gesture)

The Universe 2 second-stringers managed to make a black hole out of love. Sounds like a metaphor for the worst relationship ever.

I know time is an artificial construct but each of these 'minutes' is getting increasingly more ridiculous.

Haven't read ahead so this is entirely my conjecture; I fully expect Universe 7 will win and use the super Dragon Balls to bring back all the other Universes.

• Love 2

I'm getting pretty bored with this arc.  So essentially it's Universe 7 vs everyone else since very few (if any) contestants not in U7 were eliminated by anyone else.  It looks like there's another set of boring fights with the guy with the robots (where we'll probably loose Gohan) but otherwise we're seemingly about to finally get to the meat of this arc.  They really did not need so many contestants.  I don't even remember 90% of them.

• Love 1

There are a life size (possibly slightly larger than life sized; how tall are Saiyans?) Vegeta and Freeza at Comic Con also.

I love how the Androids deal with Goku. He's all excited about some move they do or something and starts nattering on about it, and they're like "yup, we are doing that, k bye".

(edited)

Forming a Gestalt Robot

Pro: It looks awesome as hell

Con: In a battle royale-type battle, it could mean multiple eliminations at one time

We're down to ten combatants . . . our heroes from Universe 7 (and Freiza), the three members of the Pride Troopers, and the one organic-looking putz that's probably going to get Universe 3 destroyed. Also, we got to see Gohan shine a little. And how come nobody notices Freiza? I know he's nigh-powerful and a dick, but he's been skulking around for most of the tournament.

Since all four eliminated DBZ fighters don't have hair, here's an anthem/parody from Team Four Star, circa 2011:

Edited by Lantern7
On 7/21/2019 at 8:39 PM, Lantern7 said:

our heroes from Universe 7 (and Freiza)

Made me laugh. He's the Zoidberg of Universe 7.

Of course the robots combine Voltron-style. Everyone else seems to have found a way to combine (or feed each other power), so why not them too?

Purple dude and the mechs combine into a creature that seems to have been brought over from a completely different kind of anime. Even Frieza has to step in to help defeat it. 18 sacrifices herself so her brother can save the day.

At least we're at the end . . . ten more episodes. Hey,the finish line is visible. And we're now clear of the scrubs from the other universes. One-tenth of the starting field and two Universes are left. It's the Z-Fighters (and Freiza) vs. Rabbit Guy, Toppo the Beard, and Ultimate Adversary Jiren.

We're down to two teams, and it's time for Goku and Jiren to exchange blows and philosophies, with Vegeta throwing himself into the mix. Because he's Vegeta, dammit. He actually manages to dodge Jiren's punches and makes contact on the enigmatic foe, and actually lands a Final Flash on him. Smoke clears . . . Jiren is crumbled on the ground. Two seconds later, he's unleashing a massive ki blast point-blank into Vegeta. Looks like the Prince of All Saiyans might be taking a nap.

I just want this to be over. already. Translate that into Japanese, then put it under the main title . . . because that's most of DBZ/DBS in a nutshell.

On 7/1/2019 at 7:18 PM, Terrafamilia said:

Someone notices that Krillin doesn't have a nose!

Vegeta tries his hand at autonomous ultra instinct by emptying his mind while being pummeled by some mook. After about 5 seconds he's all, "screw this." I suspect he came to the realization that Kakarot had an easier time because his mind was already pretty empty.

Or he realizes he's still second to Goku and gave up. 😊

On 8/4/2019 at 2:00 AM, Lantern7 said:

We're down to two teams, and it's time for Goku and Jiren to exchange blows and philosophies, with Vegeta throwing himself into the mix. Because he's Vegeta, dammit. He actually manages to dodge Jiren's punches and makes contact on the enigmatic foe, and actually lands a Final Flash on him. Smoke clears . . . Jiren is crumbled on the ground. Two seconds later, he's unleashing a massive ki blast point-blank into Vegeta. Looks like the Prince of All Saiyans might be taking a nap.

I just want this to be over. already. Translate that into Japanese, then put it under the main title . . . because that's most of DBZ/DBS in a nutshell.

The series is limping it's way to a flat finish. Kind of sad when you think what this series could've been and you get this. 

8 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

They have explicitly said Goku has the power of a god, and Vegeta is not too far off. But Jiren throws them both off. So he has more power than two gods? This show, ugh.

Basically, if the Saiyans are X, Jiren has to be X+1 . . . until such a time when one of them (*koff*Goku*koff*) goes X+2. The bit where Goku almost knocked Jiren off the platform was cool. Sometimes, Goku can be a smart guy. But just in fighting.

I like Dypso's strategy. Freeza ensnares him with the tail? Run his punk ass through the rough terrain.

Getting back to Jiren . . . here's a spoof where Mr. Satan takes Goten and Trunks to prison for a "Scared Straight" program. Word of warning . . . this is decidedly NOT safe for work. The last image was so wrong, yet so very funny.

So there were supposedly only 12 minutes left BEFORE the latest episode...and it's 3 vs 1. So I'm guessing there are six minutes left? In show time obviously real time is 1/3 speed. So they don't even need to beat the last dude, just run down the clock. Which they basically already did. I mean, I know, I know, these personalities will want to beat him for the glory but seriously if they're not sure how to defeat him with that little time left, even if they are trying, the clock should run out anyway.

So glad this series is over. I know people want it to come back but I rather it didn’t unless they make some major changes.

Super had potential but it failed in plot points and stories (Black Goku arc and TOP). It did great developing some characters like Vegeta (spending time with his family; being a mentor to Cabba) and Krillin (getting a job and moving his family out of Master Roshi’s home) but it was straight trash for Goku and his family. Goku became a bad caricature of himself and acted more like he does in parodies (that trash him, too) than what he was in DBZ. Before anyone says, “They made fun of other characters, too,” they didn’t go in as hard as they did with Goku and ChiChi. With them, that was straight hate and it’s so bad people actually believe the parodies are the true characters or they prefer them than what was actually portrayed in DBZ manga and anime. Yamcha was also treated badly, too.

Goku was never scholar material but he wasn’t as dumb, illiterate or absentminded as Super made him out to be. In Super, Goku spent more time with Vegeta and Bulma than his own family whereas in DBZ (anime, manga and movies) Goku spent most of his time with his family when he’s not fighting. The last five years of DBZ none of Goku’s friends saw Goku just like they never saw him in the five years post DB. The Funimations dubbing made him look worst but with Funimations bias it’s not a shock.

Gohan was pushed aside and ignored until the TOP. Gohan isn’t a fighter like this Dad but if the world’s in danger, he will be in the fight especially since he has a family of his own now. He wouldn’t sit on the sidelines in the Black Goku arc. Goten wasn’t developed at all. He was regulated to being Trunks’ sidekick. Neither kids grew when they should’ve. Even Gohan physically grew from the beginning of DBZ to Cell Games without changing Vas.

ChiChi had a lot of development by the Boo arc. She wasn’t as obsessed with education or reluctant for her kids fighting. Instead of building on that, they regressed ChiChi to her pre Cell days, amped her anger even higher and rewrote history in that Gohan was Goten’s first martial arts teacher and not her. It’s not surprising the differences in Goku’s family and Vegeta’s can be due to Toyotaro obvious favoritism to Vegeta. In an interview early in his writing Super, he said Goku’s his favorite character but I think we all can agree with what we’ve seen in Super manga and anime after all this time, that’s a lie. I’ve no problem with him liking Vegeta more than Goku but there was no need to trash Goku’s character and his family while building Vegeta’s up. Both characters could’ve developed more in a positive way while not making one family look bad in comparison to others. 

• Love 2

This year's DBCember list from Team Four Star: Top 12 Dragon Ball Techniques. Here's the list so far (with an intro)

12. Kikoho (Tri-Beam)

11. Time Skip

10. Makankosappo (Special Beam Cannon)

9. Dragon Fist

8. Makūhōidan (Hellzone Grenada)

7. Shunkan Ido (Instant Transmission)

6. Final Flash

5. Kienzan (Destructo Disc)

4. Kaio Ken

3. Genki Dama (Spirit Bomb)

ETA: Someone found this footage of Beerus and Champa fighting in their younger days.

Edited by Lantern7